Unintelligibly illiterate BBC News article link text

General discussion area for all topics not covered in the other forums.
Bruv

Post by Bruv »

spot;1487662 wrote: No no - you fail to adequately comprehend.

No No No !!! I comprehend very adequately, and fail to see how anyone as obviously intelligent as yourself fails to see what the police spokesman is saying.

We are not talking about muggers in New Cross, we are talking about remote controlled flying objects over populated areas.

You want "examples" ?

Let us take the recent tragedy at the Shoreham Air Show, the example scenario police statement might be the nearly the same.

Example follows......."Officers said the incident was an example of the risks of air shows in crowded or built-up areas, rather than over open sea"
I thought I knew more than this until I opened my mouth
spot

Post by spot »

Bruv;1487667 wrote: we are talking about remote controlled flying objects over populated areas
But the Monument isn't a populated area.
Nullius in verba ... ☎||||||||||| ... To Fate I sue, of other means bereft, the only refuge for the wretched left.
When flower power came along I stood for Human Rights, marched around for peace and freedom, had some nooky every night - we took it serious.
Who has a spare two minutes to play in this month's FG Trivia game! ... My other OS is Slackware.
Bruv

Post by Bruv »

spot;1487669 wrote: But the Monument isn't a populated area.

Jeeeeezus.....yes that is correct.

And THAT is why there are NO restrictions flying drones in such areas.......but.....the crash of a drone in such a remote area reinforces the need for legal restrictions in populated......and other sensitive areas. Civil Aviation Authority

As the police statement says.

Are you being provocative on purpose Mr Spot or just having a senior moment ?
spot

Post by spot »

The crash of a drone in such a remote area has absolutely nothing to do with the risks in populated areas, they're completely unrelated. A chap was gathering film for a documentary, his drone was too close to the Monument for him to react in time to a gust which blew a propeller against a window. How on earth does this bear on the use of drones in populated areas? It's like saying a chap died of a heart attack when a glass of wine went down the wrong way and this shows the dangers of alcohol consumption.
Nullius in verba ... ☎||||||||||| ... To Fate I sue, of other means bereft, the only refuge for the wretched left.
When flower power came along I stood for Human Rights, marched around for peace and freedom, had some nooky every night - we took it serious.
Who has a spare two minutes to play in this month's FG Trivia game! ... My other OS is Slackware.
spot

Post by spot »

Nigerian general jailed over Boko Haram attack on Baga - BBC News

"The general comes from a celebrated Nigerian family. His uncle was the late Afrobreat legend Fela Kuti."

I fear the BBC's writer is unfamiliar with African musical genres.
FourPart

Post by FourPart »

spot;1487674 wrote: Nigerian general jailed over Boko Haram attack on Baga - BBC News

"The general comes from a celebrated Nigerian family. His uncle was the late Afrobreat legend Fela Kuti."

I think his wife has been emailing me wanting to deposit his millions in my bank for safekeeping.
Bruv

Post by Bruv »

spot;1487671 wrote: The crash of a drone in such a remote area has absolutely nothing to do with the risks in populated areas, they're completely unrelated.

It might be that it shows they are dangerous.......but I give up.
Bruv

Post by Bruv »

spot;1487674 wrote: Nigerian general jailed over Boko Haram attack on Baga - BBC News

Why the BBC's writer really needs to be familiar with African musical genres is the better question..............especially when there is Wikipedia
Smaug

Post by Smaug »

FourPart;1487675 wrote: I think his wife has been emailing me wanting to deposit his millions in my bank for safekeeping.

Same!:wah:
" To finish first, first you have to finish!" Rick Mears. 4x Winner Indy 500. 3x Indycar National Champion.
spot

Post by spot »

"Morgan back on Saturday Night Live".

The Americans allow Piers Morgan on Saturday Night Live?

Surely not.

If there's a Famous Dead Princess Di, and a completely unheard of Princess Di living hand to mouth in the lower reaches of the Swazi Royal Household, then a headline about the living one should never refer to her as Princess Di. It's misleeding. The same goes for the infamous newsworthy Piers Morgan and some obscure chap never previously heard of by the British public who is now recovered from being unwell. The BBC is the British Broadcasting Corporation, not a regional station in the backwoods of Illinois.
spot

Post by spot »

Williams 'would have died in three years'

That's the link.

What, I thought? Shirley was in rude health last time I checked, what are they talking about.

Serena's dead? Venus?

Hank's been dug up and autopsied?

The link is sheer clickbait. The BBC does not employ clickbait. The BBC has principles.

The manager of the author of the link should be chastised.

Stop trying to identify people by just a surname, it never ever works.
spot

Post by spot »

Honduran firm feeds crocodiles owned by 'drug's clan' - BBC News

What in the name of all things holy is that apostrophe meant to convey?

Does the BBC at least require a GCSE in English before hiring these uneducated desk-bound drones?
G#Gill

Post by G#Gill »

It is obvious that education standard's have taken a nose dive over the last several years !
I'm a Saga-lout, growing old disgracefully
Smaug

Post by Smaug »

There's no shortage of material for this thread, or ever likely to be, given the poor standard of literacy at the 'Beeb'.

Does the BBC at least require a GCSE in English before hiring these uneducated desk-bound drones?

Judging by the standard so far, the short answer is 'NO!'
" To finish first, first you have to finish!" Rick Mears. 4x Winner Indy 500. 3x Indycar National Champion.
LarsMac

Post by LarsMac »

spot;1488755 wrote: Williams 'would have died in three years'

That's the link.

What, I thought? Shirley was in rude health last time I checked, what are they talking about.

Serena's dead? Venus?

Hank's been dug up and autopsied?

The link is sheer clickbait. The BBC does not employ clickbait. The BBC has principles.

The manager of the author of the link should be chastised.

Stop trying to identify people by just a surname, it never ever works.

Well, there it is. They can now properly compete with the likes of FOX news, The Daily Mail, and The National Enquirer.
The home of the soul is the Open Road.
- DH Lawrence
FourPart

Post by FourPart »

spot;1488802 wrote: Honduran firm feeds crocodiles owned by 'drug's clan' - BBC News

What in the name of all things holy is that apostrophe meant to convey?

I suppose the drug could have a clan. It which case it could be considered as being grammatically correct.

(That, incidentally, is intended as Tongue In Cheek).
spot

Post by spot »

Recent research involving young military personnel suggests 7% suffer genital injuries in combat.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/health-35037600

What complete twaddle. What twerp wrote that? This the US military he's discussing? I doubt whether the USA has fought any recent war in which 7% of its forces engaged in combat were physically injured in any way at all.
spot

Post by spot »

Carol leads Golden Globe 2016 nominations - BBC News

Carol?

What?

The nearest I could guess was Ronnie Carroll but I did, admittedly, think he might be a bit old now for whatever a Golden Globe is. I have absolutely no idea what a Golden Globe is.

There turns out to be a film entitled Carol. How am I meant to have guessed that.
LarsMac

Post by LarsMac »

spot;1490375 wrote: Carol leads Golden Globe 2016 nominations - BBC News

Carol?

What?

The nearest I could guess was Ronnie Carroll but I did, admittedly, think he might be a bit old now for whatever a Golden Globe is. I have absolutely no idea what a Golden Globe is.

There turns out to be a film entitled Carol. How am I meant to have guessed that.

Well, if you properly kept up with the movies and such, you would have known. Though I seem to remember when they used to include quote marks, or italicize, or something to indicate a title or some such.
- DH Lawrence
Bruv

Post by Bruv »

LarsMac;1490378 wrote: Well, if you properly kept up with the movies and such, you would have known. Though I seem to remember when they used to include quote marks, or italicize, or something to indicate a title or some such.

Don't encourage him.

He is British knocking a British institution..............that's what we do.............it's the nearest we get to boasting.
LarsMac

Post by LarsMac »

Well, I must nominate for review the following from Today's US & Canada section:

California terror police search lake
- DH Lawrence
FourPart

Post by FourPart »

I'm surprised "Containment" wasn't on the list (filmed outside my window).
spot

Post by spot »

Call to end police funding 'shambles' - BBC News

Who has called for an end to police funding?

Why is the call described as being a shambles?

Or is the BBC news website headline editing ambiguous again?
Bruv

Post by Bruv »

spot;1490422 wrote: Call to end police funding 'shambles' - BBC News

Who has called for an end to police funding?

Why is the call described as being a shambles?

Or is the BBC news website headline editing ambiguous again?

Now then.............after the recent hyphen debacle, could somebody explain to me..........was it 'The Call' that was described as a 'Shambles' or the 'Funding' system itself ?
Bryn Mawr

Post by Bryn Mawr »

I'll add one I'm convinced is intended to mislead :-

"'No legal action' for Shaker Aamer"

Far from saying that the government propose to take no legal action against Shaker Aamer, when you get into the article itself (as opposed to the headline on the BBC News home page) it is saying that Shaker Aamer does not intend to sue the government :-

Shaker Aamer: 'No plans to sue' over Guantanamo - BBC News
spot

Post by spot »

Stone Temple Pilots frontman Scott Weiland died from a toxic mix of drugs including cocaine, alcohol and ecstasy, a US medical examiner has said.

Scott Weiland died from 'toxic drug mix' - BBC News

What possible reason does the BBC have for reporting either the death or the cause? I doubt even one person in a thousand in the UK has heard of this obscure chap and he's scarcely being put forward at this late stage as a role model to modern youth.

Stone Temple Pilots sued by former singer Scott Weiland

4 June 2013

Velvet Revolver part with Weiland

2 April 2008

Weiland jailed on driving charge

29 April 2008

Singer sentenced over drugs

19 August 2003
LarsMac

Post by LarsMac »

Somebody in the BBC was a fan?
- DH Lawrence
spot

Post by spot »

Self-induced bafflement, this...

Privatisation of Green Investment Bank could 'damage its reputation' - BBC News

I stared bemused several times before I saw it said "Green", not "Greek".
Bryn Mawr

Post by Bryn Mawr »

spot;1490640 wrote: Self-induced bafflement, this...

Privatisation of Green Investment Bank could 'damage its reputation' - BBC News

I stared bemused several times before I saw it said "Green", not "Greek".

The Greek Investment Bank, of course, having no reputation left to damage.
spot

Post by spot »

IAAF's Nick Davies steps down pending Russia 2013 investigation - BBC Sport

The webpage editor assumes I know what IAAF stands for? Nowhere at all does the page tell me. I thought there were editing standards involved in that sort of thing.

I've looked it up and find myself unsurprised that my guess was wrong. It's the International Association of Athletics Federations, not the International Amateur Athletics Federation.
FourPart

Post by FourPart »

spot;1490818 wrote: IAAF's Nick Davies steps down pending Russia 2013 investigation - BBC Sport

The webpage editor assumes I know what IAAF stands for? Nowhere at all does the page tell me. I thought there were editing standards involved in that sort of thing.

I've looked it up and find myself unsurprised that my guess was wrong. It's the International Association of Athletics Federations, not the International Amateur Athletics Federation.

Very good point - although perhaps they thought that the only type of person remotely interested in the story would be the type of person to know what it meant in the first place. While it's true I wouldn't have known what it meant, I probably wouldn't have given it another look had it not been raised here.
spot

Post by spot »

Excuse my bringing a non-BBC article onto the thread but this week's New Scientist has a news item titled “New human species may rewrite history”.

If that actually means what it claims I suggest they should have put the story on the front cover.
Bryn Mawr

Post by Bryn Mawr »

spot;1491182 wrote: Excuse my bringing a non-BBC article onto the thread but this week's New Scientist has a news item titled “New human species may rewrite history”.

If that actually means what it claims I suggest they should have put the story on the front cover.

Give it time - a couple of hundred thousand years time it might well happen :-)
Elijah12

Post by Elijah12 »

Most of your threads, I don't even read let alone comment on. If challenging you on just two threads constitutes ' following you around ' then you are behaving like a petulant child as well as a hypocrite. You have littered this forum with troll like behaviour picking some members posts to pieces.
spot

Post by spot »

Elijah12;1491196 wrote: Most of your threads, I don't even read let alone comment on. If challenging you on just two threads constitutes ' following you around ' then you are behaving like a petulant child as well as a hypocrite. You have littered this forum with troll like behaviour picking some members posts to pieces.

Golly. To quote the same source, "The only one continually embarrassing themselves here Is you."
Bryn Mawr

Post by Bryn Mawr »

Elijah12;1491196 wrote: Most of your threads, I don't even read let alone comment on. If challenging you on just two threads constitutes ' following you around ' then you are behaving like a petulant child as well as a hypocrite. You have littered this forum with troll like behaviour picking some members posts to pieces.

Given that this is just your second post how can you have challenged anyone on two threads previously?
spot

Post by spot »

Both posts are copy-paste from earlier in the thread. The text here is, unsurprisingly, Oscar's. Our visitor is Texan and presumably has a limited personal vocabulary, supremacist assumptions and several rifles bolted below his dashboard.
spot

Post by spot »

I get seriously confused sometimes.

"Tech firms concerned over UK spy bill", for example.

What business has any tech firm to be querying the cost of the British Secret Intelligence Service?

It turns out the link text is in reference to the draft UK Investigatory Powers Bill. Using "spy" as a noun does not even slightly equate to Investigatory Powers.
spot

Post by spot »

Dementia patients play 'Russian roulette' - BBC News

I'm surprised they had access to loaded firearms.

Maybe they're demented Americans.
spot

Post by spot »

Donald Trump debate: Ban risks making tycoon a 'martyr' - BBC News

Presumably he'd then collect his statutory 72 virgins as he passed Go.

I'm not convinced by the use of "martyr" in this precise context.
spot

Post by spot »

What does "they" mean?Det Ch Insp Cliff Lyons said: "This appears to be unprovoked attack on a man that was simply going about his daily business... and there would have been a number of commuters in the vicinity.

"I believe that the suspect would have entered and exited Kendor Gardens via Dorset Road and Kenley Road. From which direction they entered and exited has yet to be established."

Morden lecturer killing: Stabbing may be linked to fatal attack - BBC News

Are they the "commuters in the vicinity"? Are they the victim? Are they the suspect?
LarsMac

Post by LarsMac »

spot;1491802 wrote: What does "they" mean?Det Ch Insp Cliff Lyons said: "This appears to be unprovoked attack on a man that was simply going about his daily business... and there would have been a number of commuters in the vicinity.

"I believe that the suspect would have entered and exited Kendor Gardens via Dorset Road and Kenley Road. From which direction they entered and exited has yet to be established."

Morden lecturer killing: Stabbing may be linked to fatal attack - BBC News

Are they the "commuters in the vicinity"? Are they the victim? Are they the suspect?

Would seem to me that he is still speaking of the suspect(s) there.
- DH Lawrence
spot

Post by spot »

LarsMac;1491804 wrote: Would seem to me that he is still speaking of the suspect(s) there.

The suspect would have entered and exited Kendor Gardens via Dorset Road and Kenley Road. He said so.

Ah... it's the direction. Eastwards or Westwards.

I disapprove of referring to "the suspect" as "they", regardless.
LarsMac

Post by LarsMac »

spot;1491805 wrote: The suspect would have entered and exited Kendor Gardens via Dorset Road and Kenley Road. He said so.

Ah... it's the direction. Eastwards or Westwards.

I disapprove of referring to "the suspect" as "they", regardless.

Au contraire. He said, "I believe..." so he offered his opinion. And which direction they were traveling on on Dorset and Kenley roads is still in question.

As for 'they'

‘He or she’ versus ‘they’ - Oxford Dictionaries
- DH Lawrence
spot

Post by spot »

LarsMac;1491811 wrote: As for 'they'I have red the link, and the linked blog discussion. There is no circumstance on earth which would persuade me to reference a singular noun with plural pronouns or determiners. Never, sir. It would be ungrammatical and there is invariably an alternative equivalent wording which avoids the gender insult.
Bruv

Post by Bruv »

He has "red" the link.....pot kettle black.....take the plank from your own eye.......comes to mind......let alone "don't sweat the small stuff"
Bryn Mawr

Post by Bryn Mawr »

LarsMac;1491811 wrote: Au contraire. He said, "I believe..." so he offered his opinion. And which direction they were traveling on on Dorset and Kenley roads is still in question.

As for 'they'

‘He or she’ versus ‘they’ - Oxford Dictionaries

I do object to :-

You can use the plural pronouns ‘they’, ‘them’, ‘their’ etc., despite the fact that, technically, they are referring back to a singular noun:

There's nothing technical about it, they *are* referring back to a singular noun and, whatever they say, it is ungrammatical.
FourPart

Post by FourPart »

Whichever way you look at it, the article is not in error as it is a quote from someone who the article is about. It is, therefore, the person who was quoted who has made the grammatical errors, not the article itself.
spot

Post by spot »

Bah. I would not put it beyond a BBC regional reporter to paraphrase direct speech.
spot

Post by spot »

Reece Coombs was with his girlfriend in The Albany Palace, Trowbridge, when he felt something on his leg.

Somewhere in my chest of drawers I have a t-shirt inviting similar attention though it wouldn't involve a rodent, Wetherspoons, Mr Coombs, his girlfriend or a cultural desert like Trowbridge.

Return to “General Chit Chat”