Did you meet on the internet?

Need help? Ask for it. Serious Discussions Only.
nvalleyvee

Post by nvalleyvee »

Do you think it is possible?
The growth of knowledge depends entirely on disagreement..........Karl R. Popper
capt_buzzard

Post by capt_buzzard »

Yes. I have met 5 from the United States. 2 from the UK and 1 from Germany. Buzzard's personal tour of Dublin. Over 35s only need apply.
john8pies

Post by john8pies »

Yes, I do think it is possible; I personally have met 6 or 7 from `school reunion sites`
nvalleyvee

Post by nvalleyvee »

Did you have those feelings of -- we HAVE GOT to meet?
The growth of knowledge depends entirely on disagreement..........Karl R. Popper
BTS

Post by BTS »

I have met many people on the Internet........ I do genealogy and have met many people that I have talked with up here....But as far as a girlfriend or WIFE.......... I have only met one that I would marry for the rest of my life..........And she is in this forum ............... I promose if I propose to her I will do it here............. HINT HINT.............
"If America Was A Tree, The Left Would Root For The Termites...Greg Gutfeld."
nvalleyvee

Post by nvalleyvee »

tmbsgrl wrote: I have met 1 person off the internet.. We dated for about 3 months and then it just wasn't working. Friends of mine actually met on msn chats... They are married and have 1 little girl and another on the way.. They've been together for about 5 years. So I think it is possible.. Anything is possible.. ;)

I met my love through - I am embarrassed to say it - Hot or Not - I think we were both there for about a month. My daughter set me up during chemo and then there was him - it took about 6 months to get to know each other and then 4 more to move in together - very hard since we lived in different parts of the country. Be careful on the internet - BUT it can happen. Geez - who would have thunk a 49 year old woman could have found bliss!!!!
Peg

Post by Peg »

I can think of 4 couples that met on the internet and are now married.
mominiowa

Post by mominiowa »

Sometimes it works.....Sometimes it doesn't...We have been together for 4 years..married since October.....but it was a LONG time before I would meet him.and the funny thing was we only lived 30 minutes from each other and could have crossed paths several times in our lives....LOL

~~The Family~~

Happiness is knowing where you come from...

Who you are...

And why you are here.....
nvalleyvee

Post by nvalleyvee »

So does mean you met on the internet? If so you had the kids and family saying you were NUTS. My daughter met him the first time I did and said he was the one for me - I said - yea right!
mominiowa

Post by mominiowa »

Yes - but NOBODY knew besides my sister.becuase she was the guilty one who put up the thing on Yahoo...My kids still think we met at the bar I worked at.They are young..I will tell them sometime...My mom was really freaked out becuase on our first date he took me to Minesota to a Kenny Chesney concert, styaed in a hotel - went to the Mall of America and she thought we had just met but had been talking since June and that was in October of that year.. :p

~~The Family~~

Who you are...

nvalleyvee

Post by nvalleyvee »

He asked me to marry him - I said yes
mominiowa

Post by mominiowa »

YEAH!!!!!!!! Congrats!!! :-4

~~The Family~~

Who you are...

persephone

Post by persephone »

capt_buzzard wrote: Yes. I have met 5 from the United States. 2 from the UK and 1 from Germany. Buzzard's personal tour of Dublin. Over 35s only need apply.
Damn! I'm too young :yh_sad

I've met a few people from the internet, I was always very careful though, the first person I ever spoke to in an international chat room lived round the corner to me, it was very odd.

Then I went on to travel down to London and meet the Admin from the Sega Dreamcast Community, then I ended up moving in with one of them :yh_ooooo

I have met loads more people and have been seeing someone from the net for over a year now. I'm in :-4 and thankfully he lives not to far away (still in East London) :-6
Bad Girls have very high standards, but they love you even if you sometimes fall short.
Peg

Post by Peg »

nvalleyvee wrote: He asked me to marry him - I said yes
Congrats to both of you! :D
lady cop

Post by lady cop »

i met Carla and Lovemama on the internet, and they have become very real and very dear friends. in the real world. i love them both.
capt_buzzard

Post by capt_buzzard »

lady cop wrote: i met Carla and Lovemama on the internet, and they have become very real and very dear friends. in the real world. i love them both. Love is the Air
CARLA

Post by CARLA »

Yes I meet LADYCOP on the internet at another forum, we have become the dearest of friends.. I cherrish having her as a friend. I enjoy her humor, and her ethics she lives her life by.. :-4

I have made many friends on the net.. I have been lucky that way.. Haven't met a man yet.. actually not looking to meet one on the Net.. To old and to damn tired to go through all the stuff... :guitarist
ALOHA!!

MOTTO TO LIVE BY:

"Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, chocolate in one hand, champagne in the other, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming.

WOO HOO!!, what a ride!!!"

minks

Post by minks »

I have met 3 friends via internet and the current BF.
�You only live once, but if you do it right, once is enough.�

― Mae West
capt_buzzard

Post by capt_buzzard »

lady cop wrote: i met Carla and Lovemama on the internet, and they have become very real and very dear friends. in the real world. i love them both. And I met Lady C, ain't that something. And she does not know it yet! But she and her boyfriend is coming here:guitarist
A Karenina

Post by A Karenina »

Congrats, nvalleyvee!! :-6

I met mine on the internet, through eHarmony. It's a great way to go - it was like having the first 30 dates without leaving home. Before we met in person, I knew his values, lifestyle, humor, hobbies, habits, etc (and he knew mine, even the really bad habits! LOL).

When I did meet him in person ~ coffee at Starbucks, public and safe ~ I just felt that he was the person I wanted to be with. And then what do you say? I came out with the most profound thing I could think of at the moment..."Nice weather, huh?" LOL
We are what we repeatedly do. Excellence, then, is not an act but a habit.

Aristotle
buttercup

Post by buttercup »

havent met anyone from the internet yet but there's quite a few who's company im sure i would enjoy

congratulations to the people getting married, did you meet here?
babygirl

Post by babygirl »

I have made some really great friends on the net Capt, Susie,LC etc but i have never met any of the people i speak to but maybe one day if i am passing by :D
Live life to the max as you only get to do it once!! make your dreams come true :-4

nvalleyvee

Post by nvalleyvee »

A Karenina wrote: Congrats, nvalleyvee!! :-6

I met mine on the internet, through eHarmony. It's a great way to go - it was like having the first 30 dates without leaving home. Before we met in person, I knew his values, lifestyle, humor, hobbies, habits, etc (and he knew mine, even the really bad habits! LOL).

When I did meet him in person ~ coffee at Starbucks, public and safe ~ I just felt that he was the person I wanted to be with. And then what do you say? I came out with the most profound thing I could think of at the moment..."Nice weather, huh?" LOL

We are getting married at the end of the month. Good luck to you.
milkybarkid

Post by milkybarkid »

Hi.. I'm new here, but I just *had* to add to this thread... cos I'm currently in the bed of my wonderful boyfriend whilst he works from home. We met online around christmas and met up for real last month.. and now we're together :D Does anyone else feel kinda weird about telling people how you met? There's a certain stigma about the whole online romance thing still despite it becoming far more common. I guess it's kind of considered to be similar to making a personal ad, although in my case I definately wasn't looking for anyone online, we just got talking online until we got to the stage where we were thinking it would be ridiculous not to meet up when we got on so damn well!
lady cop

Post by lady cop »

hello Milky, and welcome to FG. i don't think there's any more of a stigma than saying you met in some bar, it's a new age. but one must be careful since people can claim to be anything or anybody. you need a means to check people out. and there are ways....i need to find my thread "how to be your own private investigator". there are people who invest their entire lives and move a total stranger in with their children, sight unseen. then regret it. people just need to be a bit smarter. ..........here it is.......Be Your Own Private Investigator ( 1 2 3 )

lady cop
jimbeam

Post by jimbeam »

yes and so far her daughter which is 21 is trying to drive a wedge inbetween our're relationship we meet on line 2 months ago and like a fool that i was moved in with her well all i can say is time will tell
lady cop

Post by lady cop »

hello Jim, and welcome. :)
jimbeam

Post by jimbeam »

hi there lady cop
lady cop

Post by lady cop »

feel like talking about it? lots of supportive people here. if not, that's OK too! glad to meet you....:yh_flower
A Karenina

Post by A Karenina »

milkybarkid wrote: Does anyone else feel kinda weird about telling people how you met? There's a certain stigma about the whole online romance thing still despite it becoming far more common. Hmmmm, no. I don't feel weird at all about it. But the whole reason I went with eHarmony is because it's very difficult to pretend to be anything other than what you are. They have this massive psychological test that took me about 3 days to complete, and they ask a million questions about you. If nothing else, it was a good way to gain insight into myself, and what I wanted out of life and a relationship.

It's all anonymous, and they are very careful to tell you how to protect yourself should you decide to exchange phone numbers or meet in person. I appreciated that a lot!

The coolest part was listing out 10 things I refuse to live without in a partner, and 10 things I refuse to put up with. It was hard to do that, cause I've never really thought in those terms before, but it was cool. It also helped separate the wheat from the chaff, so to speak. :) They sent me over 70 matches before I turned it off. I'd run through their profiles, ask and answer questions, and usually say "no thanks" before the third communication. It's nice this way because you know if they are right for you or not before you get emotionally involved.

I ended up talking to 3 men on the phone, but only met 1 in person. And he was the right one. I'm very happy. I totally recommend this particular site. (Obviously.)

To answer more directly, if you decide to meet someone online, why should you be ashamed of your choice?
We are what we repeatedly do. Excellence, then, is not an act but a habit.

Aristotle
angeleyes

Post by angeleyes »

I have met my furture husband on the internet. I dated a few other guys most of which were jerks but when we met both of us just knew we were meant for eachother. He is the most wonderful man I have ever known. I never would have thought it was possible to meet someone on the internet and fall in love but I now am convinced. We are engaged and plan to marry in Jan. of 2006. :-4
abbey

Post by abbey »

angeleyes wrote: I have met my furture husband on the internet. I dated a few other guys most of which were jerks but when we met both of us just knew we were meant for eachother. He is the most wonderful man I have ever known. I never would have thought it was possible to meet someone on the internet and fall in love but I now am convinced. We are engaged and plan to marry in Jan. of 2006. Well done Angel, and congratulations to you both x:-4
nvalleyvee

Post by nvalleyvee »

We got married 3 days ago - the man I met on the internet. It was a blue jeans and shorts 10 minute ceremony and we were hitched - :D You have to realize we are both near 50 and the pomp and circumstance doesn't mean much anymore - it was all about the feelings we have for each other. My cousin is a minister so we walked to the park across the street from the family reunion and got married.
abbey

Post by abbey »

nvalleyvee wrote: We got married 3 days ago - the man I met on the internet. It was a blue jeans and shorts 10 minute ceremony and we were hitched - :D You have to realize we are both near 50 and the pomp and circumstance doesn't mean much anymore - it was all about the feelings we have for each other. My cousin is a minister so we walked to the park across the street from the family reunion and got married. CONGRATULATIONS Nvalleyvee and BTS.

Way to go you two, i send all my very best wishes to you both
Peg

Post by Peg »

nvalleyvee wrote: We got married 3 days ago - the man I met on the internet. It was a blue jeans and shorts 10 minute ceremony and we were hitched - :D You have to realize we are both near 50 and the pomp and circumstance doesn't mean much anymore - it was all about the feelings we have for each other. My cousin is a minister so we walked to the park across the street from the family reunion and got married.
Congrats you two!
Raven

Post by Raven »

oh WOW! How cool is that? :yh_bigsmi Congrats you guys!!!

Yep! I met my man on the net. We both belonged to another forum. But a billion dollar phone bill and six months later, we married. And I swear it's the best thing I've ever done.

And no. I dont find it hard at all to tell people how we've met. Actually I love the look of delight on their face! (Maybe they are having an online romance as well?) :-4
~Quoth the Raven, Nevermore!~
minks

Post by minks »

Congrats Nvalley, and BTS

That is the coolest news, sorry if all the rest of the junk here these days has over shadowed your guys's good and joyous news.

I think today we need some JOY!
�You only live once, but if you do it right, once is enough.�

― Mae West
Celtor

Post by Celtor »

At age 27 I met a guy on the internet, through a text-based RPG I was playing, and ended up falling head over heels in love with him...we eloped. It was a bad decision; we were simply not compatible and he was not the kind of person I should ever be with in a million years. Long story short, I finally wised up, tossed him out, he hooked up with another gal from the same game, they had a kid, and our divorce was finally final this last March (only a year and a half after he'd left, hah). So, lesson learned...

Sorta :)

After the ex left town, I put a personal ad up on CraigsList-Portland, looking for friends and such, since I have no family anywhere near Oregon or the Pacific NW. Out of the 30+ people who replied, one in particular struck me as someone I should definitely meet...he made me laugh more in a few emails than I had in a long time :) We had a very nice first date and then I gave myself a concussion getting into his car on the second date, and the rest is history...that'll be 2 years in November. I realize though that this was more luck or ... something... than me doing anything terribly smart ;)

And yeah, I've always felt weird telling people how I met either my ex-husband or my boyfriend...they look at me like I'm a bit off in the head and just "not that smart"...but, I reckon it's just as good (or bad) a way as meeting someone traditionally.
actionfigurestepho

Post by actionfigurestepho »

I LOVE the idea of meeting on the internet.

When you meet in person you spend a lot of time wading through small talk, and then if you decide you don't want to see the person anymore it can be awkward. The internet is a such a wonderful screening tool. Not to mention you get to find out early on whether the person is articulate and intelligent...nothing worse than chatting up a pretty face and finding out there's nothing behind it.

And I don't think meeting people off the internet is any less safe than meeting someone at a bar. Bad meeting off the internet experiences I've had=0, bad meeting in person experiences I've had......well, a lot!
kmhowe72

Post by kmhowe72 »

My husband dated on the internet for years, before him and I met at church. But he sent money to these people. And they were just using him. And it got a little freaky some girl sent him some hair. Her hair. I would never date on the internet. But I do know people who have had some sucess. especlly doing eharmoney.com.

But i wouldn't trust anybody over the internet.:wah:
kmhowe

Return to “Friends, Relationships, Advice”