Rock Off

Ahso!

Rock Off

Post by Ahso! »

I'm going with Layla even though I think the piano solo at the end is way too long. It's still a great number.
“Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities,”

Voltaire

I have only one thing to do and that's

Be the wave that I am and then

Sink back into the ocean

Fiona Apple
tabby

Rock Off

Post by tabby »

Layla !
YZGI

Rock Off

Post by YZGI »

After listening to both of them I go with Layla. Damn these are gonna get tough.
Ahso!

Rock Off

Post by Ahso! »

YZGI;1426655 wrote: After listening to both of them I go with Layla. Damn these are gonna get tough.Kudos to you voting against your own pick. Now that's serious critical thinking.

Voltaire

Sink back into the ocean

Fiona Apple
YZGI

Rock Off

Post by YZGI »

Ahso!;1426657 wrote: Kudos to you voting against your own pick. Now that's serious critical thinking.

First thing I thought was Hell, Hotel California is one of mine. Then after listening had to go with Layla.
Bruv

Rock Off

Post by Bruv »

YZGI;1426658 wrote: First thing I thought was Hell, Hotel California is one of mine. Then after listening had to go with Layla.

Your just a crazy mixed up guy.

I am finding this one hard but purely on the line "You can check out anytime.......but you can never leave" swung it for The Eagles
I thought I knew more than this until I opened my mouth
AnneBoleyn

Rock Off

Post by AnneBoleyn »

Bruv;1426660 wrote: Your just a crazy mixed up guy.

I am finding this one hard but purely on the line "You can check out anytime.......but you can never leave" swung it for The Eagles

Makes sense to me. Hippie talk. Drugs, existence, that stuff.
YZGI

Rock Off

Post by YZGI »

Bruv;1426660 wrote: Your just a crazy mixed up guy.

Let me see if I can find my mood ring. That aught to clear up things.
Bruv

Rock Off

Post by Bruv »

AnneBoleyn;1426670 wrote: Makes sense to me. Hippie talk. Drugs, existence, that stuff.

Yo bro

( I still have shoulder length hair......................I hate barbers)
LarsMac

Rock Off

Post by LarsMac »

Hmmm. Clapton and Allman vs. Henley and Walsh.

Tough choice, But I gotta go with Clapton.
The home of the soul is the Open Road.
- DH Lawrence
Wandrin

Rock Off

Post by Wandrin »

This is a tough one. I'd vote for either against some of the other songs. I'm going for Hotel California.
Ahso!

Rock Off

Post by Ahso! »

4 to 3 in favor of Layla . It was AFTR's pick so chances are she would have voted for it too.

Now up:

Cheer Down - George Harrison vs Don't Play that Song For Me - Aretha Franklin

Voltaire

Sink back into the ocean

Fiona Apple
Snowfire

Rock Off

Post by Snowfire »

Well this certainly isn't getting any easier. After much consideration it's George
"He has all the virtues I dislike and none of the vices I admire."

Winston Churchill
Snowfire

Rock Off

Post by Snowfire »

It has to be said, there hasnt been a track yet I didnt really like. Not sure there will be.

Makes this tough but enjoyable

Winston Churchill
Bruv

Rock Off

Post by Bruv »

I like George's music very much, this one I don't recall ever hearing before, and it's not one of his best at first listening.

So I think Aretha happens to be one of my choices, and it still is.
Ahso!

Rock Off

Post by Ahso! »

I like the Aretha Franklin song even though I generally don't care for church choir sounding music as rock-n-roll, but this one has enough going for it that I can look past that. I like what Harrison does with being positive in his lyrics - the song is smooth - it builds nicely and then there's Harrison's signature guitar use. Besides, it's the ringtone on my phone so I'm going to stick with it. Cheer Down

Voltaire

Sink back into the ocean

Fiona Apple
tabby

Rock Off

Post by tabby »

Cheer Down !
Wandrin

Rock Off

Post by Wandrin »

Cheer Down.
Ahso!

Rock Off

Post by Ahso! »

I'm calling it for Cheer Down. Don't Play That Song is eliminated. Too bad more members don't vote.

Next:

Joe Satriani - Dream Song (HQ) - YouTube vs Rocks Off - Rolling Stones

Voltaire

Sink back into the ocean

Fiona Apple
Ahso!

Rock Off

Post by Ahso! »

Either some are losing interest, a lot of thought needs to go into this one or nobody wants to be first this time?

Voltaire

Sink back into the ocean

Fiona Apple
Wandrin

Rock Off

Post by Wandrin »

I'll go with Satriani.
LarsMac

Rock Off

Post by LarsMac »

I don't prefer either of those two.
- DH Lawrence
Snowfire

Rock Off

Post by Snowfire »

Again, close call. I like them both for different reasons. I've gone for Satriani

Winston Churchill
Bruv

Rock Off

Post by Bruv »

Ahso!;1426778 wrote: Either some are losing interest, a lot of thought needs to go into this one or nobody wants to be first this time?

I must have lived a very sheltered life but I have never heard of Satriani (sharp intakes of breath all round)

Neither of these would get in my top 1000, but playing by the rules of eliminating the least liked of two offered choices the Rolling Stones comes second to the previously unknown Satriani................I bet he is pleased.

So Satriani wins......grudgingly
Snowfire

Rock Off

Post by Snowfire »

Bruv;1426785 wrote: I must have lived a very sheltered life but I have never heard of Satriani (sharp intakes of breath all round)

Neither of these would get in my top 1000, but playing by the rules of eliminating the least liked of two offered choices the Rolling Stones comes second to the previously unknown Satriani................I bet he is pleased.

So Satriani wins......grudgingly

LOL......You aint gonna like Rage Against The Machine then. Just a warning before the assault on yer ears

Winston Churchill
tabby

Rock Off

Post by tabby »

Rocks Off !
Ahso!

Rock Off

Post by Ahso! »

Snowfire's pick is definitely a nice piece of music and I'm tempted to vote for it. Joe Satriani is a guitarist's guitarist, he's revered by many a musician and this tune proves to be an example as to why. It's clean, sharp and pleasant to listen to even for someone such as myself who often feels that a rock-n-roll musical piece is lacking when vocals are absent. If I were a musician and could appreciate the technical nuances of his work I might like Dream Song even more. I read a few years back about a study that was done on enthusiastic music listeners and musicians. In this study brain scans were done while listening to jazz. The scans on the listeners lit up in the areas of the brain where emotional responses are carried out while in the scans of the musicians what lit up was that area of the brain where analysis occurs as the musician had a different listening mode. I'd bet the same would happen in the case of Joe Satriani's work. FWIW, when pop music was played in the experiment the musicians more or less turned off, that's why jazz was chosen.

But there's something to be said about The Rolling Stones on a technical level as well. And that is that when one considers the absolute genius of Keith Richards as a music writer, one must be impressed. Here is a musician that pairs with an entertainer/frontman extraordinaire who yet can't sing a note and has to assist in carrying this lack of ability in the music. Richards does that about a well as anyone could. Jagger's lyrics and style make it somewhat easier for Richards to accomplish this feat but the majority of the cover is provided by the writing and direction of the music, and this song exemplifies that about as well as any RS tune.. I'm a fan of The Stones for many reasons, but the greatest reason is that they've always known their limitations (and they are many) as both musicians and entertainers and they've not only survived a very competitive industry but they sat at the top of the heap for a very long time.

So in summary, as much as I'd vote for Joe Satriani's Dream Song against many others, I'm sticking with old faithful. Rocks Off!

Voltaire

Sink back into the ocean

Fiona Apple
Ahso!

Rock Off

Post by Ahso! »

LarsMac;1426782 wrote: I don't prefer either of those two.You sound like a dad. Come on, pick one to advance the game. :)

Voltaire

Sink back into the ocean

Fiona Apple
Snowfire

Rock Off

Post by Snowfire »

Ahso!;1426791 wrote: Snowfire's pick is definitely a nice piece of music and I'm tempted to vote for it. Joe Satriani is a guitarist's guitarist, he's revered by many a musician and this tune proves to be an example as to why. It's clean, sharp and pleasant to listen to even for someone such as myself who often feels that a rock-n-roll musical piece is lacking when vocals are absent. If I were a musician and could appreciate the technical nuances of his work I might like Dream Song even more. I read a few years back about a study that was done on enthusiastic music listeners and musicians. In this study brain scans were done while listening to jazz. The scans on the listeners lit up in the areas of the brain where emotional responses are carried out while in the scans of the musicians what lit up was that area of the brain where analysis occurs as the musician had a different listening mode. I'd bet the same would happen in the case of Joe Satriani's work. FWIW, when pop music was played in the experiment the musicians more or less turned off, that's why jazz was chosen.

But there's something to be said about The Rolling Stones on a technical level as well. And that is that when one considers the absolute genius of Keith Richards as a music writer, one must be impressed. Here is a musician that pairs with an entertainer/frontman extraordinaire who yet can't sing a note and has to assist in carrying this lack of ability in the music. Richards does that about a well as anyone could. Jagger's lyrics and style make it somewhat easier for Richards to accomplish this feat but the majority of the cover is provided by the writing and direction of the music, and this song exemplifies that about as well as any RS tune.. I'm a fan of The Stones for many reasons, but the greatest reason is that they've always known their limitations (and they are many) as both musicians and entertainers and they've not only survived a very competitive industry but they sat at the top of the heap for a very long time.

So in summary, as much as I'd vote for Joe Satriani's Dream Song against many others, I'm sticking with old faithful. Rocks Off!

Thats very well put. I've often wondered why some music pushes the right buttons and others leave us cold. However much respect I have for Elvis and his vast contribution to Rock & Roll, he offers me very little. One or two tracks but mostly it'll pass me by. Same with Springsteen. I know he's a god to some and while I understand the appeal, it doesnt quite cut the mustard completely for me

A close friend of mine and I often introduce each other to different stuff and are generally delighted with nearly all of our respective recommendations. Satriani, however, didnt register the enthusiasm I had expected. "Too technical ", he said " I like my rock a little rough around the edges". I agree Keith Richards is a genius. His rhythm guitar is as good as you will hear anywhere.

I dislike musical snobbery. My musical taste has few boundaries. Even my dear old dad, had he been still with us would be 81 now, enjoyed some Queen, Eagles even a couple of Alice Cooper tracks. He in turn switched me on to some classical sounds. Country music, I probably have the most problem with but there is still much that I can take from it. One of my friends thinks music stopped around 1979 and anything produced after that has no value at all. Another will only listen to hard trance and everything else is a noise. Embrace it all, I say. There are no bad genres. It is either good music or bad. Jazz, hip-hop, rock, trance, soul, blues, country et al. Take what you can from all of it.

Winston Churchill
Bruv

Rock Off

Post by Bruv »

Well I am a bit of an inverse music snob, I put Abba into my selection as a little bit of kitsch, because I like it.

I tried to find an old Hendrix number that covered one side of an LP that I played as loud as possible over and over again at one time long ago, but it wasn't as I remembered it, or something.

Too much analysis is for academics not for music lovers, music touches emotion before intellect, and long may it be.
Snowfire

Rock Off

Post by Snowfire »

My use of the word snobbery has nothing to do with anyone's choice of music. Far from it. Its more to do with peoples reluctance, or even refusal to embrace a larger spectrum. Abba for you, clearly comes within a wide spectrum and you will get no argument from me. I would object , however, someone who though pop had no value and only chose what they regarded as "intelligent" music ( and they do exist....Intelligent dance music - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia ). Its just pompous

....music touches emotion before intellect, and long may it be.

Couldnt agree more.

I'm not seeing any over analysis though. Just hopefully the start of a good discussion

Winston Churchill
LarsMac

Rock Off

Post by LarsMac »

Ahso!;1426792 wrote: You sound like a dad. Come on, pick one to advance the game. :)

OK, fine.

I'll go with Satriani.
- DH Lawrence
Ahso!

Rock Off

Post by Ahso! »

LarsMac;1426829 wrote: OK, fine.

I'll go with Satriani.Wait a minute. I didn't mean for you to do that. ;)

In a perfect world it could be a tie but I'll surrender now. Rocks Off is eliminated and Dream Song advances.

Next:

Elvis - Thats Alright Mama ('68) - YouTube vs Paul McCartney - My Love

Voltaire

Sink back into the ocean

Fiona Apple
Ahso!

Rock Off

Post by Ahso! »

My Love is a wonderful song but That's Alright Mama takes this with me. I recall once when seeing a video of Elvis on television and one of my daughters was sitting next to me asked me who it was and when I said Elvis Presley, she responded with "you mean there really was an Elvis?"

Voltaire

Sink back into the ocean

Fiona Apple
Snowfire

Rock Off

Post by Snowfire »

Well, I have already said that I'm not a great Elvis fan. Not by any means to deny his gigantic contribution and enormous influence on popular music. He just didnt do it for me.

So Its Paul McCartney that gets my vote

Winston Churchill
Bruv

Rock Off

Post by Bruv »

It's one of my choices isn't it ?

I actually find McCartney irritating but this is one of my all time top ten, so simple but so ear catching and full of emotion, it has to be My Love.
tabby

Rock Off

Post by tabby »

That's Alright Mama !
LarsMac

Rock Off

Post by LarsMac »

"My Love" is a fine song, but i don't think of it as a Rock song.

And Without Elvis, you just would't really have "Rock"

Though to be completely Pedantic, this is more of a Blues number.

All that said, I gotta go with The King, here.
- DH Lawrence
Ahso!

Rock Off

Post by Ahso! »

Little Richard likes to say that Rhythm and Blues had a child and named it Rock-n-Roll.

Voltaire

Sink back into the ocean

Fiona Apple
LarsMac

Rock Off

Post by LarsMac »

Ahso!;1426856 wrote: Little Richard likes to say that Rhythm and Blues had a child and named it Rock-n-Roll.

He's right.
- DH Lawrence
Wandrin

Rock Off

Post by Wandrin »

I'll go with Elvis for this one.
Bruv

Rock Off

Post by Bruv »

Hey Snowfire.........is this is turning into the Eurovision song contest type voting ? :yh_rotfl
YZGI

Rock Off

Post by YZGI »

I'll go with My Love. Thats alright mama was not one of my favorite Elvis tunes.

Sorry Ahso, had a busy weekend wasn't able to be online much.
Ahso!

Rock Off

Post by Ahso! »

Thanks, Wisey, NP. I figured you were busy. You are full of surprises though. I had you pegged for the Elvis tune.

That's 4 to 3 in favor of That's Alright Momma. My Love is eliminated.

Next:

Looking Out My Back Door - CCR vs Arethea Franklin - Until You Come Back to Me

Voltaire

Sink back into the ocean

Fiona Apple
Ahso!

Rock Off

Post by Ahso! »

Just a reminder, any member can vote. Anne, you're welcome to play. :)

Voltaire

Sink back into the ocean

Fiona Apple
LarsMac

Rock Off

Post by LarsMac »

Looking Out my Back Door
- DH Lawrence
tabby

Rock Off

Post by tabby »

Looking out my Backdoor !
Snowfire

Rock Off

Post by Snowfire »

Bruv;1426860 wrote: Hey Snowfire.........is this is turning into the Eurovision song contest type voting ? :yh_rotfl

If we had any Eastern European members we'd be getting nil points

Winston Churchill
Ahso!

Rock Off

Post by Ahso! »

John Fogerty is as synonymous with Rock-n-Roll as anyone in my mind. Looking Out My Back Door

Voltaire

Sink back into the ocean

Fiona Apple
Snowfire

Rock Off

Post by Snowfire »

Creedance Clearwater Revival.

Winston Churchill