When is too Young to Die?

General discussion area for all topics not covered in the other forums.
tude dog

Post by tude dog »

In a post started by fuzzywuzzy reporting on the death of author Tom Clancy I made the offhand remark

Died way to young.

Then AnnBoleyn comments

We live in a fabulous world when 66 is too young to die.

and she is so right.

Is there a right time to die?

Tom was 66 an I ain't to far from that. Maybe that colors my view? We recently buried my best buddy, two years older than me.

Then I look at my dad, kicked over at age 88. One of the last times talking to dad, he was occupied with the though that he made it, like his brother, into the 90's.

Then we look at stats where every year, overall Americans live longer.
What happened to Kamala Harris' campaign?
She had the black vote all locked up.
AnneBoleyn

Post by AnneBoleyn »

My father died at 65, of lung cancer. This was 1981 & there was no way out. The diagnosis was his death sentence. My mother lived to 81 & died 2001. She missed him every day & the fun & joy that they would have shared. He was a fun guy, my dad, a loving friend. My mother was very healthy, but was hit by a car while walking.

My husband died at 54. He was 12 years older than me. It must have been a sudden heart attack, there was not an autopsy. I woke up at 5:18 AM & found him dead in my chair in our dining room. I've missed his company every day since then.

I see more old men, in their 70's & 80's then I ever did before. I see more couples, my age (early 60's) then ever before. Or maybe I just notice them more. People die at every age. My mother & I were just unlucky I guess.

I nearly died of cancer at age 54, the same age my husband died. Almost doesn't count. What of my son, I wondered, if he lost Both Parents at 54? Bad legacy.

When it happens to you, you can feel like it's Only You. Certainly, when my husband died, there were no bereavement groups for "young" widows like I was. Now there are. I don't think more younger men are dying, just that the need was recognized.

The other day I was talking with a friend, we happened to be speaking of my husband. Only 54! my friend said. He looked scared: "I'm 59" he said. Then a very old couple we knew passed by. Near 90. They were supporting each other as they walked. Sad, my friend said. NO! I said. "They have Each Other. They lived to be Old Together". We all die, no way out of here alive! But that couple are a couple of lucky folks.

Sigh.
LarsMac

Post by LarsMac »

I dunno. I am in my 60's. all my grandparents died in their 90's, except one. She died at 82, but she was really gone long before that due to Alzheimer's. They didn't even have the name for it when it started on her.

Dad and Mom both went pretty quick. He at 72 and she at 80. She really died with him, but it took her a while to catch up.

two of my brothers-in-Law had it rough. John had a stroke at 68 and stuck around for 14 years, my sister taking care of him the whole time.

Mac was eat up with lung cancer, and it took him eight years to get out.

Me, I prefer going young and quick.

Damn! too late.

Well, then,...

As long as we're healthy, I rather like growing old together.
The home of the soul is the Open Road.
- DH Lawrence
cars

Post by cars »

No matter how old a loved one is, it always seems too young when a loved one dies.

My dad died end of July at "95". He had all his faculties, mind still good, but he was very frail. The last 3 years He spent all day watching TV, napping, eating, sleeping, day after day. Just waiting, for the end. So the last 3 years were just existing not really living.
Cars :)
Accountable

Post by Accountable »

My mom died at 48. All five of us kids made it past that milestone. My father is still alive, so far as I know, and that would make him about 87. Both my grandmothers were in their 80's when they passed. In my intro post I joked about 60 being my middle age point, but so far I'm on track.
along-for-the-ride

Post by along-for-the-ride »

I agree with all the comments made. A beloved is always too young to die.

My first born son died at 4 months old in 1972 of meningitis. Too young to die? Yes. But I may have not had the joy of having my three other children in my life.
Life is a Highway. Let's share the Commute.
Chloe_88

Post by Chloe_88 »

You will always feel a friend or family member or even a pet died too young.

I'm not afraid of dying..

I'd rather reach 40 and lived a "full" life then die at 90 and wonder what it was all worth..
fuzzywuzzy

Post by fuzzywuzzy »

Interesting. I was having just this discussion at a friends house last night.

If I died today I couldn't complain. I've had an extremely full life. I seen the best and worst of human beings. I always took risks and some things turned out okay and others didn't. I have reared my children and I think I've done an okay job of it. I've always had family and friends around. I've travelled. I learnt. I taught. I lived. Generations of me will live on and on .

I think "too young" may be the wrong term. Maybe we should ask 'Did the person reach their full potential?' or 'were they satisfied and comfortable with themselves?' . Maybe that's why the death of a young person is so sad to us. Because there is a feeling that they missed out on so much to come.

I'll be 45 next January and I'm pretty cool with what has come to me so far in life . I can't see too much more for me at this point :)
shinning_like_me

Post by shinning_like_me »

I love the line of ' our Beloved is always too young to die'

Also My Mom in law was a cancer patient and it was doubtful that she will live even 4-5 years after thge operation, But she has passed 11 years than. . . . . .
fuzzywuzzy

Post by fuzzywuzzy »

shinning_like_me;1443391 wrote: I love the line of ' our Beloved is always too young to die'

Also My Mom in law was a cancer patient and it was doubtful that she will live even 4-5 years after thge operation, But she has passed 11 years than. . . . . .
Yeah my mum was given a few years. 35 years ago. lol

Return to “General Chit Chat”