Weird Collections.

General discussion area for all topics not covered in the other forums.
Oscar Namechange

Weird Collections.

Post by Oscar Namechange »

Snowfire has the best weird collection. Pen Tops...

Bruv collects the tops from HP sauce bottles.

I was collecting Sod

I have rather a strange collection going here. It started with my wanting a Pestle and Mortar and although Hubby did oblige In finding me a wonderful large marble one, In the meantime, I bought a wooden one at a car boot sale. On getting It home, I thought It looked old and a bit Arts and Craft period so I did some research and found to my surprise that there are antique P and M's worth serious money In some cases.

It appears many don't realise that and since I've been picking them up at markets and car boots for silly money.

Do you collect ? How did It start?
At the going down of the sun and in the morning, we will remember them. R.L. Binyon
Mark Aspam

Weird Collections.

Post by Mark Aspam »

Oscar Farage;1456217 wrote: Do you collect ? How did It start?I collect social security, but I don't think that's what you mean.

I once knew a man - a casual acquaintance, I don't even remember his name - who had by far the strangest collection I have ever encountered.

The man collected BUS PLUNGES.

I think that we have all, at one time or another, and whether we remember it or not, seen small articles, probably not more than a column inch or two, in the daily newspaper, reporting something like: "Yesterday in Upper Mongolia, a crowded bus left the road and plunged off a cliff into the ocean. Nearly a hundred passengers, including the driver, were killed. The bus was damaged beyond repair."

He had several scrapbooks, completely filled with clippings of such incidents, which he had been collecting since childhood. The accounts numbered in the hundreds.
Oscar Namechange

Weird Collections.

Mark Aspam;1456265 wrote: I collect social security, but I don't think that's what you mean.

I once knew a man - a casual acquaintance, I don't even remember his name - who had by far the strangest collection I have ever encountered.

The man collected BUS PLUNGES.

I think that we have all, at one time or another, and whether we remember it or not, seen small articles, probably not more than a column inch or two, in the daily newspaper, reporting something like: "Yesterday in Upper Mongolia, a crowded bus left the road and plunged off a cliff into the ocean. Nearly a hundred passengers, including the driver, were killed. The bus was damaged beyond repair."

He had several scrapbooks, completely filled with clippings of such incidents, which he had been collecting since childhood. The accounts numbered in the hundreds.

Now that Is weird !!!

Reminds me of a guy I knew some years ago who was In a mad panic because his landlord was due for an Inspection of his rented flat. I agreed to go round and help him tidy up expecting your average single bloke type stuff and when I got In there, my jaw dropped. Stuffed to the rafters from every corner of the rooms were bus and tram timetables. I have never seen anything like It.

A few years after that we all went on a group holiday to Blackpool and he came along. We're standing on the promenade chatting and he spies a bus In the far distance. He then tells us what line It Is, what number It Is, where It's come from, where It's going etc and as It drew level, he was right. As far as I know he's still single. While we were enjoying ourselves on the beach, the fun fair etc, he was at the bus terminal all week checking every bus was going out on time... weird man.
At the going down of the sun and in the morning, we will remember them. R.L. Binyon
Mark Aspam

Weird Collections.

Post by Mark Aspam »

Oscar Farage;1456267 wrote: Now that Is weird !!!

Reminds me of a guy I knew some years ago who was In a mad panic because his landlord was due for an Inspection of his rented flat. I agreed to go round and help him tidy up expecting your average single bloke type stuff and when I got In there, my jaw dropped. Stuffed to the rafters from every corner of the rooms were bus and tram timetables. I have never seen anything like It.

A few years after that we all went on a group holiday to Blackpool and he came along. We're standing on the promenade chatting and he spies a bus In the far distance. He then tells us what line It Is, what number It Is, where It's come from, where It's going etc and as It drew level, he was right. As far as I know he's still single. While we were enjoying ourselves on the beach, the fun fair etc, he was at the bus terminal all week checking every bus was going out on time... weird man.Well, transportation enthusiasts are not that unusual, I am one myself, and yes, I do have a lot of timetables, though not "stuffed to the rafters".

I view the hobby much like stamp or coin collecting, the difference being that you cannot ride a stamp or a coin.
Oscar Namechange

Weird Collections.

Mark Aspam;1456270 wrote: Well, transportation enthusiasts are not that unusual, I am one myself, and yes, I do have a lot of timetables, though not "stuffed to the rafters".

I view the hobby much like stamp or coin collecting, the difference being that you cannot ride a stamp or a coin.

Errr come to think of It, I do buy classic horse race programmes so In hindsight I'm being hypocritical there. But the guy I knew, we are talking thousands and thousands going back to the 1930's.

Weird Collections.

Post by 911 »

Not sure it's really a collection, but I have something, some sort of tidbit, a little memory, of when my now hubby took me on dates and after we got married, every trip we took. Needless to say, after being married more years than I am willing to admit here, I have several large boxes of these memories.

Oh, I also have a collection of tiny tea sets. :)
When choosing between two evils, I always like to take the one I've never tried before.

Mae West

Return to “General Chit Chat”