General discussion area for all topics not covered in the other forums.
Oscar Namechange

Post by Oscar Namechange »

I know we've done this before but It was a while ago.

Do you seriously believe In Karma ? Do you believe the A hole's and b.itches In life get rewarded with a thoroughly miserable existence for their actions ?

I've had a couple of Instances of late. It's always been the one's who I thought at some time ' Karma's going to get you'...

I'm not talking about revenge here, just their own doing.
At the going down of the sun and in the morning, we will remember them. R.L. Binyon
Patsy Warnick

Post by Patsy Warnick »

Yes, I've been fortunate to witness the misfortune.

Patsy
theia

Post by theia »

Oscar Namechange;1465258 wrote: I know we've done this before but It was a while ago.

Do you seriously believe In Karma ? Do you believe the A hole's and b.itches In life get rewarded with a thoroughly miserable existence for their actions ?

I've had a couple of Instances of late. It's always been the one's who I thought at some time ' Karma's going to get you'...

I'm not talking about revenge here, just their own doing.

I think it's so complex...a person may behave in an unpleasant way but, because we don't know their whole story, we don't really know what personal horrors may have contributed to their actions. That's not to say that I haven't hoped at times that people might "pay" for the hurt they've caused. But I think the idea of "karma" is rather overused and could be seen as a form of manipulation.
Live the questions now. Perhaps you will then gradually, without noticing it, live along some distant day into the answers...Rainer Maria Rilke
FourPart

Post by FourPart »

I know it's supposed to act in a positive for a negative way, but I've always viewed it that for every positive action you take, you will be rewarded with something positive.

Some may think of the negative action when doing something positive for someone else is the negative against yourself, but whenever I do something like that I get a personal feeling of satisfaction, so maybe that could be the Karma in itself, although it's good to believe that is you do something, with the best of intentions, that makes you feel bad, then it shall be balanced by something good happening to you.

I know that in reality it's all superstition, but it's one of those things to be able to looks back & think "That's Karma for such-and-such" when something good happens.
Oscar Namechange

It just seems to me that some people ' get theirs'. I am not talking about a person who has just made bad choices In life but hose who deliberately seek to hurt or destroy another human being simply because they can.

During my arrest and trial, police broke Sub Judice law to libel me to reporters for no other reason than to squash growing support. What they didn't know was those reporters were reporting back to me and I knew exactly who It was. As my arresting officer left the police force, she made a false claim to the IPCC that my local police were giving me Inside Information In an attempt to smear local officers and myself again. However, the IPCC didn't believe her for one minute.

Then the trolling started and veiled threats to my friends. She was then visited by my local police under ' Malicious Communication' laws and Harrassment laws.

They had the evidence because again, people were reporting back to me and sending those e mails on..

Then she gets a job In the MOD... within weeks, she's making malicious false accusations about co-workers that resulted In a government enquiry that concluded she was not a person who could be relied upon to tell the truth. ( All documented on the net ). A police officer's job Is purely to gather Information, there was absolutely no need for the rest of It.

So, perhaps now she's a lonely Individual with zero job prospects... but people like that always blame someone else for their own disasters.

I posted this thread due to another Instance Sunday morning. I used to work with a young guy called John. I absolutely despised him. For ' fun ' he would deliberately mow down cats In the street, even mounting pavements late at night In order to do so. He'd then come Into work the next day bragging about how many he'd maimed or killed and he thought It was hilarious. I hadn't seen him for 16 years and Sunday there he was selling old car radio's at the Car Boot sale.

Got chatting and he whined on about how the wife had left him, how she won't let him see the kids, how he can't get a job and he's now homeless. Usually, I would give any homeless person a few quid but I'm standing there thinking ' **** you John... Karma's a b.itch.

Maybe Karma Is more about the type of person who Is just so rotten to the core, they are their own undoing.
At the going down of the sun and in the morning, we will remember them. R.L. Binyon
Betty Boop

Post by Betty Boop »

Is it karma though, or more about what you give out you get back?

I 'like the idea' of karma, for instance loving someone who messes you around being unfaithful. Then watching that person go on to find another person they totally fall for and become suddenly faithful to. Then that other person goes on to be unfaithful to them. Bit like they get a taste of their own medicine and that makes you feel they got their comeuppance really. But that can also be reverted back to they got back what they gave out really. Which I think comes under the bracket of the 'Law of Attraction'.

Fourpart, you say that you can look back and see something as karma when something good happens. That's a good point and probably the first time I've known anyone mention good karma. Karma is generally seen as a negative payback and only mentioned when something bad happens to a person that is perceived as bad or has done something bad.
FourPart

Post by FourPart »

It's like the characters in The Water Babies - Mrs Do-as-you-would-be-done-by & Mrs Be-done-by-as-you-did.
Oscar Namechange

I believe In the power of the mind and positivity so I am very aware that good things happen to the good.

Good people get good things back I hope because their positivity tends to give them empathy, sympathy, compassion and kindness for others without being taken for a sucker.

When others see that empathy, kindness etc, they warm to that person and thus In return, they bring about good things for them.

Likewise, when someone Is rotten to the core, they generate a feeling of negativity that turns others away from them and then the bad times begin for them
Betty Boop

Post by Betty Boop »

theia;1465274 wrote: I think it's so complex...a person may behave in an unpleasant way but, because we don't know their whole story, we don't really know what personal horrors may have contributed to their actions. That's not to say that I haven't hoped at times that people might "pay" for the hurt they've caused. But I think the idea of "karma" is rather overused and could be seen as a form of manipulation.

I agree with the complexity part, also agree that karma is overused, especially when it comes to bad karma.

Still pondering the manipulation part :confused:
theia

Post by theia »

Manipulation...in that it's similar to "be good or the bogey man will get you". So with karma it's implying that if you do something "bad" you WILL get repaid in kind, and, of course, the opposite. But either way, for me, it implies manipulation of one's behaviour by others or by oneself.
Live the questions now. Perhaps you will then gradually, without noticing it, live along some distant day into the answers...Rainer Maria Rilke
spot

Post by spot »

FourPart;1465301 wrote: It's like the characters in The Water Babies - Mrs Do-as-you-would-be-done-by & Mrs Be-done-by-as-you-did.

The universal opprobrious detestation in which that vile pernicious squit Charles Kingsley is held even now, dead though he's been these hundred and forty years, might be advanced as an instructive instance of Karmic Retribution in action, were Karma anything other than bogus folklore.
Nullius in verba ... ☎||||||||||| ... To Fate I sue, of other means bereft, the only refuge for the wretched left.
When flower power came along I stood for Human Rights, marched around for peace and freedom, had some nooky every night - we took it serious.
Who has a spare two minutes to play in this month's FG Trivia game! ... My other OS is Slackware.
FourPart

Post by FourPart »

spot;1465357 wrote: The universal opprobrious detestation in which that vile pernicious squit Charles Kingsley is held even now, dead though he's been these hundred and forty years, might be advanced as an instructive instance of Karmic Retribution in action, were Karma anything other than bogus folklore.
What have you got against Charles Kingsley?
LarsMac

Post by LarsMac »

Karma is pretty simple. Ninety percent of all the stuff that happens to us is a result of chains of events that we set into motion.
The home of the soul is the Open Road.
- DH Lawrence
spot

Post by spot »

FourPart;1465388 wrote: What have you got against Charles Kingsley?

Perhaps you would care to glance through the section of Dr. Newman's Apologia beginning here.
Nullius in verba ... ☎||||||||||| ... To Fate I sue, of other means bereft, the only refuge for the wretched left.
When flower power came along I stood for Human Rights, marched around for peace and freedom, had some nooky every night - we took it serious.
Who has a spare two minutes to play in this month's FG Trivia game! ... My other OS is Slackware.
Chloe_88

Post by Chloe_88 »

i Would reply but I think Karma would get me and find yet another way of having a big dump on my life.. Sometimes I guess it's not karma, it;s just "S.HIT Happens"!
FourPart

Post by FourPart »

spot;1465393 wrote: Perhaps you would care to glance through the section of Dr. Newman's Apologia beginning here.
The link isn't exactly a section - it's an entire book, and from what I can make out it's just some cardinal ranting on about that he's a Catholic & that he's been accused of something or another.

The Water Babies was written as a protest against Child Labour & how children were committing suicide rather than go on living under the conditions they had to endure. Perhaps Dr Newman was a utiliser of these labours which, at the time, were perfectly legal.
spot

Post by spot »

FourPart;1465399 wrote: Perhaps Dr Newman was a utiliser of these labours which, at the time, were perfectly legal.
Kingsley used unsupportable innuendo like that too, when talking of Doctor Newman. It's not really any more tolerable now than it was at the time.

The link isn't exactly a section - it's an entire book
The section I pointed to consists of only 5872 words. The book itself is a great deal longer, 136432 words. The section I pointed to is a mere 4.3% of the book.
FourPart

Post by FourPart »

I don't even know what he's supposed to have done. So, it appears that he accused Newman / the Church in general of being Hypocritical. I quite agree. It always has been, and I don't see it doing anything to change that.

Telling stories in the way that he did was a way of the public aware of the conditions surrounding them, in much the same way as Dickens did (or Aesop, for that matter), while the Church simply watched on, continuing to rake in all their wealth, whilst leaving the poor to starve. Even now if the Church were to realise its assets it could probably abolish World Hunger. That is what is unacceptable.
spot

Post by spot »

FourPart;1465401 wrote: Even now if the Church were to realise its assets it could probably abolish World Hunger.
What utter tosh. How can you allow yourself to look so daft in public.
FourPart

Post by FourPart »

spot;1465402 wrote: What utter tosh. How can you allow yourself to look so daft in public.
I must assume, then, that you are excusing the hypocrisy of the Church.
spot

Post by spot »

FourPart;1465404 wrote: I must assume, then, that you are excusing the hypocrisy of the Church.No, I was saying that "if the Church were to realise its assets it could probably abolish World Hunger" is balderdash. If we were to run through the numbers involved we might demonstrate the point one way or another.

I was thinking of another cardinal who was almost Newman's contemporary. Manning I think his name was. Few Victorians could more justly be called a tireless supporter of the dispossessed. I think you should produce instances rather than hysterical hyperbole.
AnneBoleyn

Post by AnneBoleyn »

When I think of karma, I always think of John Lennon's prophetic song 'Instant Karma'

"Instant Karma's gonna get you

Gonna knock you right on the head...........

Instant Karma's gonna get you

Gonna knock you off your feet................."

Rest in Peace, beautiful John, the Smart Beatle.

Return to “General Chit Chat”