Are you ready ?

General discussion area for all topics not covered in the other forums.
Oscar Namechange

Are you ready ?

Post by Oscar Namechange »

Ahhhh Christmas... That time of year to buy food and gifts for people you haven't seen for 30 years and can't stand the sight of.

Are you all prepared and what are your plans ?

I'm nearly there... bulk of the gifts bought and just fresh Veg and cream left to buy nearer the day.

No tree this year and It feels rather unchristmassy without one. Last year the new arrival, kitten, just poleaxed.the whole thing and anything hanging off It. This year with the new Puppy, we don't stand a chance.
At the going down of the sun and in the morning, we will remember them. R.L. Binyon
sugarpuff

Are you ready ?

Post by sugarpuff »

My plans are the usual ones .... I love to watch the person face who is asking me for

a donation ... ... I write them out a check( cheque ) for 10 thousand dollars ...then I ask them if they have change for a cup of coffee ...
FourPart

Are you ready ?

Post by FourPart »

I'ev still got my order of wine in - hopefully to be delivered next Monday (22nd), as I'm having this day on leave, so I can take delivery. I normally have packages that can't go through the letterbox delivered to the office, but this one's going to be a tad to big for Da Beasty, being a £90 order.

Mind you, that order isn't what I'll be drinking over Xmas - although some of it will, of course, but will last me all year (I've still got a couple of bottles left over from last year's order), so I'm that big a drinker.

Apart from the wine, I've not got anything. I don't see the point. I don't celebrate Xmas. I've got no-one to celebrate it with. That's why I volunteered for the Skeleton Shift to man the call centre for the days between Xmas & New Year, so that those who do have families can be with them - plus it gives me something to do & take my mind off it all.

Mind you, the one thing I do look forward to each year, and never miss (even if I have to download it) is the annual Christmas Lectures from the Royal Institution. I've never missed one since the 2nd televised one, with Eric Laithwaite (1974)
Oscar Namechange

Are you ready ?

sugarpuff;1469289 wrote: My plans are the usual ones .... I love to watch the person face who is asking me for

a donation ... ... I write them out a check( cheque ) for 10 thousand dollars ...then I ask them if they have change for a cup of coffee ... I have absolutely no Idea what you're talking about.
At the going down of the sun and in the morning, we will remember them. R.L. Binyon
Oscar Namechange

Are you ready ?

FourPart;1469290 wrote: I'ev still got my order of wine in - hopefully to be delivered next Monday (22nd), as I'm having this day on leave, so I can take delivery. I normally have packages that can't go through the letterbox delivered to the office, but this one's going to be a tad to big for Da Beasty, being a £90 order.

Mind you, that order isn't what I'll be drinking over Xmas - although some of it will, of course, but will last me all year (I've still got a couple of bottles left over from last year's order), so I'm that big a drinker.

Apart from the wine, I've not got anything. I don't see the point. I don't celebrate Xmas. I've got no-one to celebrate it with. That's why I volunteered for the Skeleton Shift to man the call centre for the days between Xmas & New Year, so that those who do have families can be with them - plus it gives me something to do & take my mind off it all.

Mind you, the one thing I do look forward to each year, and never miss (even if I have to download it) is the annual Christmas Lectures from the Royal Institution. I've never missed one since the 2nd televised one, with Eric Laithwaite (1974)

Is that all Christmas Is to you ? Booze
theia

Are you ready ?

Post by theia »

Christmas can be an odd time. As a child and when my children were little, I found it magical. Now that I'm older, I'm finding the whole idea of Christmas far from magical. Yes, I shall spend Christmas Day with the children and grandchildren and that will be lovely but it's hard to be as enthusiastic as I used to be.

I think the period can accentuate people's aloneness. Not that there's anything wrong with being alone but Christmas is seen as a social event, as a time to spend with family and friends. Many people nowadays don't have that opportunity. And also, it can be a difficult time for those who have lost a loved one during the year. My birthday is on the 25th and my daughter says, jokingly but with a hint of truth, how poignant Christmasses will be when I've died. I suppose what I'm trying to say is that we are told we should get into the Christmas spirit and that's a pressure that many people don't need.

And don't get me started with the materialistic side of the period! I've seen five bird roasts being advertised...not three, not four but five!! What's wrong with one?
Live the questions now. Perhaps you will then gradually, without noticing it, live along some distant day into the answers...Rainer Maria Rilke
Oscar Namechange

Are you ready ?

theia;1469302 wrote: Christmas can be an odd time. As a child and when my children were little, I found it magical. Now that I'm older, I'm finding the whole idea of Christmas far from magical. Yes, I shall spend Christmas Day with the children and grandchildren and that will be lovely but it's hard to be as enthusiastic as I used to be.

I think the period can accentuate people's aloneness. Not that there's anything wrong with being alone but Christmas is seen as a social event, as a time to spend with family and friends. Many people nowadays don't have that opportunity. And also, it can be a difficult time for those who have lost a loved one during the year. My birthday is on the 25th and my daughter says, jokingly but with a hint of truth, how poignant Christmasses will be when I've died. I suppose what I'm trying to say is that we are told we should get into the Christmas spirit and that's a pressure that many people don't need.

And don't get me started with the materialistic side of the period! I've seen five bird roasts being advertised...not three, not four but five!! What's wrong with one?

I agree... somehow, we can never regain that magic of childhood but I agree with the materialistic side, For me, I love to cook and It's the one time that I have the time off to cook to my hearts content.

Totally agree on the 5 bird roast. My revolting neighbour brags yearly on Facebook about her 5 bird roast which Is actually curtursy of Iceland at £10. I told her last year that she was absolutely wasting her money because Turkey has such a strong flavour and It will drown out the chicken or guinea fowl Inside It. Yet, she thinks It's posh.

I have got a guinea fowl In for Christmas as well as Venison... not sure what I'll do with them yet.... some sort of gamey pie or stew me thinks, like my Mum used to make.

Boxing Day, I'll be at Kempton Park watching the King George and Christmas hurdle and we just have various family and friends coming round for a few drinks although the local Tory Party will be getting paper plates after last year.

Can't wait to see Peter's face when he see's one of his gifts... let's just say that It has 4 legs and eats grass.
FourPart

Are you ready ?

Post by FourPart »

Oscar Namechange;1469297 wrote: Is that all Christmas Is to you ? BoozePerhaps you didn't notice this bit:

A £90 order equates to about 10 bottles (hanging on the wall...), which is a bigger order than I got last Xmas, as I can afford it more this year, now I'm working and, as I said, that order lasted me all year. Plus, of course, that's not just for me. I share it with friends. Last year I got 8 bottles of wine & a bottle of liquer. The strawberry liquer I shared with a friend to celebrate the start of my new job, back in September. Until a few days ago, 3 of the bottles were still in the cupboard. Yesterday I took one bottle for sharing with other members of hte choir in between our Matinee & Evening Xmas concerts. Another I've taken into the office in readiness for next Friday's Staff Meeting (read "Bring Your Own Buffet"), leaving me with a single remaining bottle. That adds up to 7 bottles used over the year (including the one that has yet to be opened at the office).

So you consider me as thinking that's all Christmas means to me? Booze? Perhaps you hadn't noticed all the hours I've been putting in over the past few months with the choir, preparing for the Xmas concerts & the associated Charity Fundraising. Perhaps you forgot how I'm volunteering to work the Skelton Shift between Xmas & New Year, so that others might spend time with their families & loved ones. Oh, yes. That's all Xmas means to me. Booze!!
FourPart

Are you ready ?

Post by FourPart »

Oscar Namechange;1469304 wrote: Can't wait to see Peter's face when he see's one of his gifts... let's just say that It has 4 legs and eats grass.
A puppy with a dicky tummy.
Oscar Namechange

Are you ready ?

FourPart;1469307 wrote: "

So you consider me as thinking that's all Christmas means to me? Booze? Perhaps you hadn't noticed all the hours I've been putting in over the past few months with the choir, preparing for the Xmas concerts & the associated Charity Fundraising. Perhaps you forgot how I'm volunteering to work the Skelton Shift between Xmas & New Year, so that others might spend time with their families & loved ones. Oh, yes. That's all Xmas means to me. Booze!! Nope can't say I have.
Oscar Namechange

Are you ready ?

FourPart;1469308 wrote: A puppy with a dicky tummy. Hahaha no, we already have one of those. Slightly bigger.
Saint_

Are you ready ?

Post by Saint_ »

Oscar Namechange;1469297 wrote: Is that all Christmas Is to you ? Booze

lol. Of course not. Christmas is a time to share booze. ark-ark-ark!
Saint_

Are you ready ?

Post by Saint_ »

FourPart;1469308 wrote: A puppy with a dicky tummy.

In American slang...that's vaguely obscene.:-3
Patsy Warnick

Are you ready ?

Post by Patsy Warnick »

Oscar

I'm all done wrapping - all done with gifts.

I just mailed 3 large boxes to my Nephew in Seattle - I have mailed gifts every year for 20 yrs. and have watched the Large Postage Charge Climb. I had a bet with Hubby "I'll say @ $180.00" I was low. this years postage $199.22.

I'll be sending my Nephew money next year.

I'm happy to be done with all the wrapping & not sure of Dinner menu yet.

All & All pretty set & ready

Merry Christmas

Patsy
Patsy Warnick

Are you ready ?

Post by Patsy Warnick »

Oscar

What's a 5 bird roast?

Is it a bird inside another bird inside another?

Patsy
Oscar Namechange

Are you ready ?

Patsy Warnick;1469347 wrote: Oscar

What's a 5 bird roast?

Is it a bird inside another bird inside another?

Patsy Yep, that's It. Or to be completely silly, a 12 bird roast.

Forget Turducken - Try a 12-Bird Roast
FourPart

Are you ready ?

Post by FourPart »

And a Partidge in a Pear Tree.
Fuzzy

Are you ready ?

Post by Fuzzy »

Ready when you are.:D
Any connection between your reality and mine is purely coincidental.
sugarpuff

Are you ready ?

Post by sugarpuff »

Oscar Namechange;1469296 wrote: I have absolutely no Idea what you're talking about.

That makes two of us ...:wah::wah::yh_rotfl:yh_rotfl:yh_rotfl
Betty Boop

Are you ready ?

Post by Betty Boop »

Nowhere near, no decorations or tree up yet. Not even written a card.

Taking Mum home tomorrow so in a few days time after some rest I will crack on with getting ready for Christmas Day.

Less is more in this house this year.

I have a delivery slot booked for grocery delivery on the eve of Christmas eve, which gives me Christmas Eve to run around like a blue arsed fly buying all the bits I forgot to order or the supermarket ran out of!

Christmas Eve afternoon I shall be going to the pub for the afternoon with friends for the first time in years.

Christmas Day I have the family round and am thankful that this year I have a working oven.

Boxing Day will be spent chilling on the sofa, glad that it's all over and wondering what the fuss is all about. Bit of a bah humbug, get annoyed at having to run round like an idiot for just one day which I will spend slaving over a hot stove. By the time I then clear up my Mother will then be demanding to know what's for tea :-5
YZGI

Are you ready ?

Post by YZGI »

My Turduckin experience
kazalala

Are you ready ?

Post by kazalala »

Im totally ready! :)

all pressies in and wrapped,, all shopping done except for the fresh stuff veg fruits etc which i will get Monday after the Christmas cemetary run.

I have 7 for dinner,,, i love to ahve everything nice,, set the table etc.. I have home made placecards,, and this year i am doing home made napkin rings (sort of,, I have some lovely silver glitter ribbon I am going to use to tie round the napkins) I make my own special christmas gravy and this year I am making one fo the desserts myself,, although its only cheesecake ( white choc and raspberry) I have a little gift bag i give out for everyone after lunch with some sweets,, a small novelty gift,, and a scratchcard :) I think all the little touches and traditions you build up is what makes the day special. I am so looking forward to Christmas day this year and have been for ages even though I have no idea why I have been so obsessed with it this year:-2

FOC THREAD PART1

In the end, we will remember not the words of our enemies, but the silence of our friends.

Martin Luther King Jr.
AnneBoleyn

Are you ready ?

Post by AnneBoleyn »

yzgi;1469603 wrote:

my turduckin experience

hilarious!!!!!!!
Oscar Namechange

Are you ready ?

kazalala;1469631 wrote: Im totally ready! :)

all pressies in and wrapped,, all shopping done except for the fresh stuff veg fruits etc which i will get Monday after the Christmas cemetary run.

I have 7 for dinner,,, i love to ahve everything nice,, set the table etc.. I have home made placecards,, and this year i am doing home made napkin rings (sort of,, I have some lovely silver glitter ribbon I am going to use to tie round the napkins) I make my own special christmas gravy and this year I am making one fo the desserts myself,, although its only cheesecake ( white choc and raspberry) I have a little gift bag i give out for everyone after lunch with some sweets,, a small novelty gift,, and a scratchcard :) I think all the little touches and traditions you build up is what makes the day special. I am so looking forward to Christmas day this year and have been for ages even though I have no idea why I have been so obsessed with it this year:-2

Awww Kaz... It sounds really lovely, It really does... Love the scratch card Idea. I may just borrow that...Yep, I'm ready. I'm the same as you, I have a lovely new white tablecloth with poinsetta's on It and matching napkins. Got those brand new at a car boot In the summer. The dinner service Is red with gold stars although I'm still missing a plate from last year.

Also make my own gravy... boil the giblets and strain the meat juices from the turkey. Got fresh cranberries today for home made sauce. Really easy, just sweat them down with lemon juice and sugar. Got my liver for devils on horseback and plenty of streaky and pork chippo's for the pigs In blankets. Got Lardons and chestnuts also today to cook with the sprouts...

For Christmas morning, we have lobster, crab, king prawns and I make my own sauce... very easy, boil up the shells In a pint of water, let It reduce down, strain and add some cream and butter. Will get some scallops and languistines nearer the day.

My Turkey Is actually In my Turkish pals deep freeze as I just couldn't get any more In there but Yesterday Peter came home with another freezer.

Off to the races Boxing Day at Kempton but on my return, we have a large gammon and Pork joint with bubble and squeek and pickles... just got to cook It all now.

Everything Is In except cream and fresh veg... Gifts wrapped except one for Peter... very difficult to wrap that one...parcels already sent off In the post, cards gone, just waiting for Christmas Day.
Oscar Namechange

Are you ready ?

kazalala;1469631 wrote: Im totally ready! :)

BTW Kaz... Is Sheila still with you ?
FourPart

Are you ready ?

Post by FourPart »

I need to stop by at Tesco to get some mints - aka Humbugs.
Betty Boop

Are you ready ?

Post by Betty Boop »

Still not ready, have got most presents bought and hidden but not wrapped. No tree up or decorations still :wah: Mum is now home but I'm still visiting her once a day and sorting her daily cooked meal out for her so tree and decorations are on a very long 'to do' list :-3
Betty Boop

Are you ready ?

Post by Betty Boop »

and... don't you just love it when people you never normally give presents to hand you a gift leaving you realising you have to go find them a gift now. I've not even written a card yet :o
kazalala

Are you ready ?

Post by kazalala »

Oscar Namechange;1469636 wrote: Awww Kaz... It sounds really lovely, It really does... Love the scratch card Idea. I may just borrow that...Yep, I'm ready. I'm the same as you, I have a lovely new white tablecloth with poinsetta's on It and matching napkins. Got those brand new at a car boot In the summer. The dinner service Is red with gold stars although I'm still missing a plate from last year.

Also make my own gravy... boil the giblets and strain the meat juices from the turkey. Got fresh cranberries today for home made sauce. Really easy, just sweat them down with lemon juice and sugar. Got my liver for devils on horseback and plenty of streaky and pork chippo's for the pigs In blankets. Got Lardons and chestnuts also today to cook with the sprouts...

For Christmas morning, we have lobster, crab, king prawns and I make my own sauce... very easy, boil up the shells In a pint of water, let It reduce down, strain and add some cream and butter. Will get some scallops and languistines nearer the day.

My Turkey Is actually In my Turkish pals deep freeze as I just couldn't get any more In there but Yesterday Peter came home with another freezer.

Off to the races Boxing Day at Kempton but on my return, we have a large gammon and Pork joint with bubble and squeek and pickles... just got to cook It all now.

Everything Is In except cream and fresh veg... Gifts wrapped except one for Peter... very difficult to wrap that one...parcels already sent off In the post, cards gone, just waiting for Christmas Day.

ooohhhh That all sounds wonderful! We are having both Turkey and Beef... our brekkie is cooked by my husband while I walk Sheila :D Yes she is still with me a little greyer round the muzzle but getting on fine and still quite spritely at around 9 years of age. I love our walk on Christmas morning,, peeking in peoples windows as I walk,, seeing kids on the floor surrounded by paper ,, people already setting tables etc.. its great :)

Attached files

FOC THREAD PART1

In the end, we will remember not the words of our enemies, but the silence of our friends.

Martin Luther King Jr.
Oscar Namechange

Are you ready ?

kazalala;1469685 wrote: ooohhhh That all sounds wonderful! We are having both Turkey and Beef... our brekkie is cooked by my husband while I walk Sheila :D Yes she is still with me a little greyer round the muzzle but getting on fine and still quite spritely at around 9 years of age. I love our walk on Christmas morning,, peeking in peoples windows as I walk,, seeing kids on the floor surrounded by paper ,, people already setting tables etc.. its great :) Yeah, she has more grey than the last time I saw a pic of her... Mulder will be 17 years old In April. I can't believe he's still going. He's going to get a special Christmas dinner this year....I know what you mean about the Christmas morning walk... there's a strange air of calm about It, quite peaceful.... Wishing you and G all the very happiest of Christmas's Kaz xx
Oscar Namechange

Are you ready ?

Betty Boop;1469680 wrote: and... don't you just love it when people you never normally give presents to hand you a gift leaving you realising you have to go find them a gift now. I've not even written a card yet :o

I've been caught out by that often so we now get a couple of tins of biscuits or Chocolates and have them gift wrapped ready to give, If we end up not having to give them then we unwrap and have them for ourselves,
kazalala

Are you ready ?

Post by kazalala »

Oscar Namechange;1469774 wrote: Yeah, she has more grey than the last time I saw a pic of her... Mulder will be 17 years old In April. I can't believe he's still going. He's going to get a special Christmas dinner this year....I know what you mean about the Christmas morning walk... there's a strange air of calm about It, quite peaceful.... Wishing you and G all the very happiest of Christmas's Kaz xx

Thank you :) and to you and Peter too :D

FOC THREAD PART1

Martin Luther King Jr.

Return to “General Chit Chat”