The Friendly Cafe - Open for chinwaggin'

General discussion area for all topics not covered in the other forums.
G#Gill

Re: The Friendly Cafe - Open for chinwaggin'

Post by G#Gill »

Just as a total change, does anybody remember this amazing crash at Spa, Belgium, in 1998. (David Coulthard) ?

I'm a Saga-lout, growing old disgracefully
cars

Post by cars »

Hi Gill, wow that was some crash, and only minutes into the race, tires and all those other car parts flying all over the place!!!
Cars :)
spot

Post by spot »

Formula One is the only sport where the equipment is obliged to win the series while being handicapped by a driver. If they put self-drive modules into each car it would be a fairer test.
Nullius in verba ... ☎||||||||||| ... To Fate I sue, of other means bereft, the only refuge for the wretched left.
When flower power came along I stood for Human Rights, marched around for peace and freedom, had some nooky every night - we took it serious.
Who has a spare two minutes to play in this month's FG Trivia game! ... My other OS is Slackware.
magentaflame

Post by magentaflame »

spot wrote: Thu Feb 11, 2021 5:37 am Formula One is the only sport where the equipment is obliged to win the series while being handicapped by a driver. If they put self-drive modules into each car it would be a fairer test.
From a Gameboy/Nintendo platform :lol:

Don't get me wrong I like a bit of formula one. But you're right. It's a battle of mechanical engineers rather than the drivers.
The 'radical' left just wants everyone to have food, shelter, healthcare, education and a living wage. Man that's radical!....ooooohhhh Scary!
spot

Post by spot »

There's a long-held notion out there that anyone who actually wants to drive anything should be banned for life from doing so. It would make the roads safer.
Nullius in verba ... ☎||||||||||| ... To Fate I sue, of other means bereft, the only refuge for the wretched left.
When flower power came along I stood for Human Rights, marched around for peace and freedom, had some nooky every night - we took it serious.
Who has a spare two minutes to play in this month's FG Trivia game! ... My other OS is Slackware.
Hope6

Post by Hope6 »

So my mom got a phone call the other day it was a guys voice and he says Granny I've been in a car accident. Unknown to him my son is her only grandson and he's only 14. Also my son has never called her Granny, he calls her MeMaw. I had heard of this before it's a common scam. Someone calls pretending to be a grandchild and says they need money. The grandparents panic and send money without thinking.
magentaflame

Post by magentaflame »

Hope6 wrote: Thu Feb 11, 2021 7:17 pm So my mom got a phone call the other day it was a guys voice and he says Granny I've been in a car accident. Unknown to him my son is her only grandson and he's only 14. Also my son has never called her Granny, he calls her MeMaw. I had heard of this before it's a common scam. Someone calls pretending to be a grandchild and says they need money. The grandparents panic and send money without thinking.
So did your mum call you guys? have you reported it?
The 'radical' left just wants everyone to have food, shelter, healthcare, education and a living wage. Man that's radical!....ooooohhhh Scary!
cars

Post by cars »

Hope6 wrote: Thu Feb 11, 2021 7:17 pm So my mom got a phone call the other day it was a guys voice and he says Granny I've been in a car accident. Unknown to him my son is her only grandson and he's only 14. Also my son has never called her Granny, he calls her MeMaw. I had heard of this before it's a common scam. Someone calls pretending to be a grandchild and says they need money. The grandparents panic and send money without thinking.

There are a lot of uncruopulous people out there that will prey on the vaunerable (Usually the elderly) without having a second thought about it! It's a cruel world!
Cars :)
spot

Post by spot »

cars wrote: Fri Feb 12, 2021 7:39 am There are a lot of uncruopulous people out there that will prey on the vaunerable (Usually the elderly) without having a second thought about it! It's a cruel world!

Anyone preying on anyone is a rogue and a villain but there are still ethical issues within that community of villains. Is it morally worse to target the vulnerable young than the vulnerable old? Just saying nobody should be a villain doesn't remove the choice. I agree, nobody should be a villain, but I would much prefer, among the ones who pay no attention to that criticism, for them to target the elderly. The elderly on balance have more stuff to steal than the young on balance, and the young on balance have longer to do useful things with what they've got than the elderly do.

As for vulnerable, what does it mean? Lacking the ability to make a sensible decision? I think the young are less competent on balance than the elderly, because they've less experience. A fraction of the elderly may have brain-rot but for anyone sufficiently vulnerable there are courts which can mediate their assets for their protection. If you look at all the steelworkers and miners conned out of their lifetime pensions by rogues and villains, few of those were elderly. All it takes is the dangled notion of saying yes to relieve a tension, whether it's lifestyle or helping their family in a sudden emergency. Just being elderly isn't, in my opinion, a substantial risk factor.

I also note in passing that the con-artists ripping off the redundant steelworkers and miners did it all by legal means, which makes the entire con worse than if what they did was illegal. It may be a cruel world but give me a fast-talking scammer any day.
Hope6

Post by Hope6 »

magentaflame wrote: Thu Feb 11, 2021 10:37 pm
So did your mum call you guys? have you reported it?
My mom told me about it right after it happened I checked out the caller ID it was a spoofed number.
Hope6

Post by Hope6 »

cars wrote: Fri Feb 12, 2021 7:39 am

There are a lot of uncruopulous people out there that will prey on the vaunerable (Usually the elderly) without having a second thought about it! It's a cruel world!
I heard somewhere that they target the elderly because they will panic easier and jump to help, in particular if they think it's one of their family. Good rule to go by, check with the family first.
Hope6

Post by Hope6 »

spot wrote: Fri Feb 12, 2021 8:13 am
cars wrote: Fri Feb 12, 2021 7:39 am There are a lot of uncruopulous people out there that will prey on the vaunerable (Usually the elderly) without having a second thought about it! It's a cruel world!

Anyone preying on anyone is a rogue and a villain but there are still ethical issues within that community of villains. Is it morally worse to target the vulnerable young than the vulnerable old? Just saying nobody should be a villain doesn't remove the choice. I agree, nobody should be a villain, but I would much prefer, among the ones who pay no attention to that criticism, for them to target the elderly. The elderly on balance have more stuff to steal than the young on balance, and the young on balance have longer to do useful things with what they've got than the elderly do.

As for vulnerable, what does it mean? Lacking the ability to make a sensible decision? I think the young are less competent on balance than the elderly, because they've less experience. A fraction of the elderly may have brain-rot but for anyone sufficiently vulnerable there are courts which can mediate their assets for their protection. If you look at all the steelworkers and miners conned out of their lifetime pensions by rogues and villains, few of those were elderly. All it takes is the dangled notion of saying yes to relieve a tension, whether it's lifestyle or helping their family in a sudden emergency. Just being elderly isn't, in my opinion, a substantial risk factor.

I also note in passing that the con-artists ripping off the redundant steelworkers and miners did it all by legal means, which makes the entire con worse than if what they did was illegal. It may be a cruel world but give me a fast-talking scammer any day.
:lol: :lol: When you say villian you remind me of that old cartoon where the guy is in a cape and a top hat and has a curly moustache....... Snidley Whiplash!!! :lol: :lol:

Return to “General Chit Chat”