Embalming

General discussion area for all topics not covered in the other forums.
Lon

Embalming

Post by Lon »

Embalming in one fashion or another as most everyone knows was practiced by many ancient civilizations. The genesis of modern day embalming really got it's start during the American Civil War (it's an interesting read). Only officers as a general rule were embalmed for transportation back to their familes because of the costs involved. Rank & file soldiers were typically out of luck. With the advent of Open Casket funerals embalming became routine for not only cosmetic reasons, but sanitary as well. Today other than for the interstate or out of country transportation of bodies, embalming is not required & open casket funerals are less common than in years past. A good embalming generally takes not more than one and a half to two hours and is not really costly, in fact, it's the least costly part of the whole funeral process.
Bruv

Embalming

Post by Bruv »

(it's an interesting read)

I shall have to take your word for that Lon.
I thought I knew more than this until I opened my mouth
Snowfire

Embalming

Post by Snowfire »

I'm looking to fertilise the ground when I'm gone. Wrapped in hessian, beneath a tree, entwined amongst its roots. You know, give something back.

I've probably ingested enough preservatives in my life to make me slow release. Don't want any additional stuff in the mix.
"He has all the virtues I dislike and none of the vices I admire."

Winston Churchill
tude dog

Embalming

Post by tude dog »

First funeral I went to was for my best friend's brother. Me and my buddy were like 16, his brother maybe 14. Without going into details, Wesley was not well for a while.

Like everybody else, at the end of the service walked pass the casket.

It was so wrong. That boy looked GREAT! He should just jump out and join the crowd parading around the box.

So wrong, just so wrong.

Ever since I do everything I could to politely avoid having to past a casket.
What happened to Kamala Harris' campaign?
She had the black vote all locked up.
FourPart

Embalming

Post by FourPart »

Nelson was embalmed after he got shot - or more to the point, pickled. His body was preserved in a cask of Brandy.
Snowfire

Embalming

Post by Snowfire »

FourPart;1475976 wrote: Nelson was embalmed after he got shot - or more to the point, pickled. His body was preserved in a cask of Brandy.

It didn't stop the crew from drinking the brandy
"He has all the virtues I dislike and none of the vices I admire."

Winston Churchill
FourPart

Embalming

Post by FourPart »

A bit like the worm in a bottle of tequila.
LarsMac

Embalming

Post by LarsMac »

tude dog;1475972 wrote: First funeral I went to was for my best friend's brother. Me and my buddy were like 16, his brother maybe 14. Without going into details, Wesley was not well for a while.

Like everybody else, at the end of the service walked pass the casket.

It was so wrong. That boy looked GREAT! He should just jump out and join the crowd parading around the box.

So wrong, just so wrong.

Ever since I do everything I could to politely avoid having to past a casket.

First funeral I remember was my Great Grandmother. She had been sick and bedridden for a long time and died when I was about 5.

I always remember that whenever we were leaving from a visit, all us great grandkids would line up and be hoisted up to give her a kiss goodbye.

Grandma thought it would be touching for all of us to line up and give her one final kiss goodbye.

I was second in line. My cousin stepped up first, as was horrified. She ran off crying. I stepped up for my turn, and saw what had freaked my cousin out so. They'd shaved off her mustache!!!
The home of the soul is the Open Road.
- DH Lawrence
tude dog

Embalming

Post by tude dog »

LarsMac;1475986 wrote: First funeral I remember was my Great Grandmother. She had been sick and bedridden for a long time and died when I was about 5.

I always remember that whenever we were leaving from a visit, all us great grandkids would line up and be hoisted up to give her a kiss goodbye.

Grandma thought it would be touching for all of us to line up and give her one final kiss goodbye.

I was second in line. My cousin stepped up first, as was horrified. She ran off crying. I stepped up for my turn, and saw what had freaked my cousin out so. They'd shaved off her mustache!!!

Just can't make that kind of stuff up.

Thanks for sharing.:yh_think
What happened to Kamala Harris' campaign?
She had the black vote all locked up.

Return to “General Chit Chat”