Brexit

General discussion area for all topics not covered in the other forums.
G#Gill

Brexit

Post by G#Gill »

Oh dear, all this gloom and doom today ! I must say that I personally feel relieved that there are a lot of ordinary people who have obviously done research and quite a lot of listening to both arguments, so that they can vote for the most sensible and less damaging vote - to leave the European Union. Over time I'm sure the 'Remain' voters will realise that to leave Europe and the way it has developed over the years was the only action to take. As some have already prophesied that other countries could well follow UKs actions and make movements to leave the Eu Union. I believe I heard rumours some time ago that France was seriously thinking along those lines. From what I've seen, heard and read (and just for spot - 'hurd' and 'red' ) it seems that it is only a matter of time before the European Union will fall apart and crumble into oblivion anyway.
I'm a Saga-lout, growing old disgracefully
FourPart

Brexit

Post by FourPart »

Apparently the Pound is already showing signs of recovery from the initial Knee-Jerk. reaction.

Morgan Stanley are moving 2000 of their staff out of the country. Well, bear in mind that Morgan Stanley haven't been paying any Corporation Tax. Without the EU protection they're probably not so likely to get away with such perks quite so easily.
Saint_

Brexit

Post by Saint_ »

FourPart;1497605 wrote:

Morgan Stanley.

According to Dante, all the employees of Morgan Stanley will reside in Hell in the 7th Bolgia where they will eternally steal each other's shapes and be reptile half the time and men half the time. I understand it is very agonizing to change between shapes too.

Blasted thieves.
FourPart

Brexit

Post by FourPart »

It seems to me that in that action alone it is already doing a cleansing. Any company that doesn't contribute, but instead gets supported by the Tax Payer when it screws up is a liability & good riddance.
Saint_

Brexit

Post by Saint_ »

FourPart;1497609 wrote: It seems to me that in that action alone it is already doing a cleansing. Any company that doesn't contribute, but instead gets supported by the Tax Payer when it screws up is a liability & good riddance.

Bloody well right. Hmm...that's strange. That's the Supertramp song that's on my stereo right now too...
Bryn Mawr

Brexit

Post by Bryn Mawr »

FourPart;1497605 wrote: Apparently the Pound is already showing signs of recovery from the initial Knee-Jerk. reaction.

Morgan Stanley are moving 2000 of their staff out of the country. Well, bear in mind that Morgan Stanley haven't been paying any Corporation Tax. Without the EU protection they're probably not so likely to get away with such perks quite so easily.

It showed signs of recovery when the BoE said it would release another £250Bn in liquidity to support it - then it started down again.
G#Gill

Brexit

Post by G#Gill »

AnneBoleyn;1497596 wrote: Was up late last night watching BBC news. Was the wee early hours your time, yet all the BBC folks were as awake & bright as if it were midday. Fascinating to watch the break down of the vote. The coverage was excellent, serious & non hysterical as opposed to USA news. Very impressed with the coverage, the graphics were so clear & easy to read. Heard Nigel Farage speak for the first time.

Today, & late last night all American news was Brexit related. The pound down so low even *I* can afford to visit. Just joking, or am I?

This post is has no opinion on the decision; that was yours alone to make. It is about kudos to BBC news.

The main presenter David Dimbleby is 77 years old and he was prepared to do a 12 hour stint in front of the cameras. You've got to hand it to the BBC, they are the best for presenting such serious political programs. I did stay up to watch till the wee small hours, and as I got out of my chair to have a comfort break, I wondered if David D. managed to get sufficient comfort breaks and sufficient meal and tea/coffee breaks ! I wonder this because he always seemed to be in front of the cameras !

He admitted, in an interview, that he may use a rolling teleprompter for the first couple of minutes, but after that, the program was such that he would just have to 'ad-lib' according to what information came through to him ! That's experience and a quick, knowledgeable brain for you !

I do admire is stamina at 77, and his ability to remain totally focused and 'with it' till after 9 am ! I expect the poor man would have gone straight home and crawled into bed - I expect he is still asleep even now !!! I think David Dimbleby is as 'on-the-ball' today as he was in his late 20s ! His father Richard Dimbleby was just the same, and probably the most respected presenter on BBC. Don't see too much of David's brother Jonathan, he's 6 years younger than David, but I understand that he does radio broadcasting as well as ITV presenting political programs. They both also write books
I'm a Saga-lout, growing old disgracefully
Snowfire

Brexit

Post by Snowfire »

We've just had a power cut in the house.

Is this the start of things to come ? I'm sure it was on Cameron's list
"He has all the virtues I dislike and none of the vices I admire."

Winston Churchill
Bruv

Brexit

Post by Bruv »

Snowfire;1497616 wrote: We've just had a power cut in the house.

Is this the start of things to come ? I'm sure it was on Cameron's list

You voted for it......did you check your own breakers, before blaming Boris ?

When does the competition for creating a new flag begin ?......what with Scotland leaving, they will want St Andrews cross back for themselves now.
I thought I knew more than this until I opened my mouth
AnneBoleyn

Brexit

Post by AnneBoleyn »

Saint_;1497600 wrote: In their defense, silly and hysterical is the kind of news coverage that Americans like. So actually, our news stations got it right for us...

You are being sarcastic, I hope.
Saint_

Brexit

Post by Saint_ »

AnneBoleyn;1497625 wrote: You are being sarcastic, I hope.

No, I was referring to FOXNEWS. But you're right, the other channels are good.

AnneBoleyn

Brexit

Post by AnneBoleyn »

I believe in uplifting people, not cruising down to their lowest common denominator.
gmc

Brexit

Post by gmc »

AnneBoleyn;1497628 wrote: I believe in uplifting people, not cruising down to their lowest common denominator.

Viva le trump.

Posted by trump

Oh give over gmc......fascist government ?

A little further right than you and I might like......but fascist ?

Well when they start privatising the nhs and removing workers rights don't say I didn't warn you.
Bruv

Brexit

Post by Bruv »

gmc;1497641 wrote: Well when they start privatising the nhs and removing workers rights don't say I didn't warn you.

That doesn't make them fascists does it ?
LarsMac

Brexit

Post by LarsMac »

I got a kick out of the Twitter stuff The Donald Started today by praising Scotland for voting to exit the EU.

Scots have a remarkable grasp of the English language when they get riled.
The home of the soul is the Open Road.
- DH Lawrence
FourPart

Brexit

Post by FourPart »

Part of the EU tenet is that no Public Services may be State Owned. This would also apply to the NHS. Therefore if we were to remain in the EU the NHS would be privatised under EU rules, and we would have no say in the matter. Under a Tory Government, they may try to privatise it, but they would have the electorate to answer to.
Bryn Mawr

Brexit

Post by Bryn Mawr »

FourPart;1497650 wrote: Part of the EU tenet is that no Public Services may be State Owned. This would also apply to the NHS. Therefore if we were to remain in the EU the NHS would be privatised under EU rules, and we would have no say in the matter. Under a Tory Government, they may try to privatise it, but they would have the electorate to answer to.

Then how has the NHS been a state owned service for the past forty years?

The EU has never tried to force the British government to sell off the NHS.
FourPart

Brexit

Post by FourPart »

Bryn Mawr;1497651 wrote: Then how has the NHS been a state owned service for the past forty years?

The EU plans to go with TTIP.

Comment: The EU-US treaty which enforces privatisation
magentaflame

Brexit

Post by magentaflame »

I dont understand how leaving tje EU is some kind of. 'Trumpism'

Firstly, Brits arent stupid enough to think its all about immigration.... to even think that every immigrant to britain and their children voted to remain is dumbing down a whole population. Especially immigrants.

Secondly, the people through this vote have sent a message to their government to listen to them..... a kind of boot up the arse so to speak. Half the population of Britain are not UKIP voters. They are ordinary everyday people.

Thirdly, threatening doom and destruction because a markets around the world will have to adjust their currupt figures is exactly that...a threat.

Fourthly, the pollies didnt want to leave the EU because they know theyll be in some kind of power during the adjustment period and are thinking only about their own careers. Theyll actually have to do some work now.

You guys will be okay in the long run .

They gave the EU a good try, it didnt work and Britain as it turns out werent the only ones thinking to leave.
The 'radical' left just wants everyone to have food, shelter, healthcare, education and a living wage. Man that's radical!....ooooohhhh Scary!
Bryn Mawr

Brexit

Post by Bryn Mawr »

FourPart;1497652 wrote: The EU plans to go with TTIP.

And has this been accepted into law yet?

Will it ever be accepted into law?

Imagine you introduced a government bill creating massive financial penalties for any policy which was not in the interests of corporations.

Talk real life, not maybe.
gmc

Brexit

Post by gmc »

Here we go.

EU referendum: Nigel Farage backtracks on Vote Leave's '£350m for the NHS' pledge hours after result

EU referendum: Nigel Farage backtracks on Vote Leave's '£350m for the NHS' pledge hours after result | UK Politics | News | The Independent

Posted by four part

The EU plans to go with TTIP.

There are mass portests against it in europe as it is. Also have you looked at the tories attitude towards it?

Cameron accepts TTIP amendment to mollify rebel Tory MPs | Politics | The Guardian

Mind you cameron is out now so maybe they will change. Or not

This trade deal with America would have Churchill beaming - Telegraph

There is absolutely nothing not to like about the TTIP. As Churchill might have said, it is altogether un-sordid. And yet virtually the only commentary we have been offered is absurdly hostile and misinformed. The debate is dominated by Left-wing misery-guts anti-globalisation campaigners.

Guess who wrote that yes -- that's right Boris Johnson so that's OK then.
magentaflame

Brexit

Post by magentaflame »

Bryn Mawr;1497651 wrote: Then how has the NHS been a state owned service for the past forty years?

Thats become an election issue. The opposition is accusing the government of privatising Medicare.
The 'radical' left just wants everyone to have food, shelter, healthcare, education and a living wage. Man that's radical!....ooooohhhh Scary!
LarsMac

Brexit

Post by LarsMac »

Some interesting fallout on this side of the pond:

Texas Secession: Brexit Inspires Nationalists To Leave US In ‘Texit’ Vote

Should more correctly be called "Texcession" I think.

"The Texas Nationalist Movement bills itself as the “largest independence movement in the United States” and one of the largest in the world. Members say they have been recruiting support from hundreds of elected officials in the state legislature and have been collecting signatures from voters, asking them to pledge a “yes” vote.

The movement suffered a blow at the Texas Republican Convention in May, when state delegates declined to endorse the idea of a referendum on secession, but that it got as far as it did was a surprise to many who have dismissed a Texit as an impractical solution dreamed up by a fringe movement."
- DH Lawrence
FourPart

Brexit

Post by FourPart »

LarsMac;1497677 wrote: Some interesting fallout on this side of the pond:

Texas Secession: Brexit Inspires Nationalists To Leave US In ‘Texit’ Vote

Should more correctly be called "Texcession" I think.

"The Texas Nationalist Movement bills itself as the “largest independence movement in the United States” and one of the largest in the world. Members say they have been recruiting support from hundreds of elected officials in the state legislature and have been collecting signatures from voters, asking them to pledge a “yes” vote.

The movement suffered a blow at the Texas Republican Convention in May, when state delegates declined to endorse the idea of a referendum on secession, but that it got as far as it did was a surprise to many who have dismissed a Texit as an impractical solution dreamed up by a fringe movement."

The pebble on the beach of the world is starting to make waves.
Wandrin

Brexit

Post by Wandrin »

According to GoogleTrends, the 2nd most popular search query from users in the UK this morning, after the vote results were announced, was "What is the EU?"
magentaflame

Brexit

Post by magentaflame »

All of this bow drawing.

Maybe there should be a disclaimer...... 'individual results may vary" lol
LarsMac

Brexit

Post by LarsMac »

FourPart;1497680 wrote: The pebble on the beach of the world is starting to make waves.

I've found myself in an interesting conversation on FB over this one.
- DH Lawrence
spot

Brexit

Post by spot »

The moment the architects of Leave realize they have actually got a hit on their hands...

Nullius in verba ... ☎||||||||||| ... To Fate I sue, of other means bereft, the only refuge for the wretched left.
When flower power came along I stood for Human Rights, marched around for peace and freedom, had some nooky every night - we took it serious.
Who has a spare two minutes to play in this month's FG Trivia game! ... My other OS is Slackware.
Bruv

Brexit

Post by Bruv »

Wandrin;1497683 wrote: According to GoogleTrends, the 2nd most popular search query from users in the UK this morning, after the vote results were announced, was "What is the EU?"

They might just be 'testing' Google to see if they are up to date.
Bryn Mawr

Brexit

Post by Bryn Mawr »

magentaflame;1497662 wrote: Thats become an election issue. The opposition is accusing the government of privatising Medicare.

Here the privatisation of the NHS is something the British government is trying to do - it's not something the EU are trying to force on us.
Bryn Mawr

Brexit

Post by Bryn Mawr »

The cost of the country's debt has just jumped significantly :-

EU referendum: Moody's cut UK's credit outlook to 'negative' - BBC News
Bruv

Brexit

Post by Bruv »

The prospect of holding a second EU referendum could be debated in Parliament in coming weeks after a petition topped the 100,000 target within hours of the result being declared.

Oh No please !!!!
spot

Brexit

Post by spot »

Bryn Mawr;1497699 wrote: The cost of the country's debt has just jumped significantly :-

EU referendum: Moody's cut UK's credit outlook to 'negative' - BBC News

If the wretched UK governments didn't keep taxes artificially low, term after term, we'd not have a damn debt to service at all.
Nullius in verba ... ☎||||||||||| ... To Fate I sue, of other means bereft, the only refuge for the wretched left.
When flower power came along I stood for Human Rights, marched around for peace and freedom, had some nooky every night - we took it serious.
Who has a spare two minutes to play in this month's FG Trivia game! ... My other OS is Slackware.
AnneBoleyn

Brexit

Post by AnneBoleyn »

spot;1497702 wrote: If the wretched UK governments didn't keep taxes artificially low, term after term, we'd not have a damn debt to service at all.

That's what happened here too. The other day Trump was bellowing that the US no longer leads, has failing infrastructure, that we had once landed a man on the moon, sent satellites into space, blah blah, and that now we do nothing innovative and he will. No he won't because we did all those things because the tax rate was higher when those things were done, and now the wealthy piss down, excuse me, trickle down, so no projects of any worth can be imagined or completed. Sick of the BS, sick of how stupid most people are.
LarsMac

Brexit

Post by LarsMac »

So, BBC reports that the Scots are exploring the possibility of blocking the exit from EU.

This could get interesting.
- DH Lawrence
spot

Brexit

Post by spot »

It's a very political weekend over here.

Too much air not enough oxygen.
Bruv

Brexit

Post by Bruv »

LarsMac;1497789 wrote: So, BBC reports that the Scots are exploring the possibility of blocking the exit from EU.

The exit is without precedent so nobody knows how it will work, apparently the UK has to officially request to exit which will trigger a 2 year negotiation before we are free.

Scotland and Northern Ireland voted overwhelmingly to remain, both are special cases, Scotland because their referendum narrowly kept them in the UK, and Northern Ireland because of historical problems, how they sort that out I don't know.

Nicola Sturgeon is the only half decent politician in the UK at the moment, I would vote for her given the chance.

Here is her interview this morning on TV Andrew Marr's show....and the transcript HERE

Snowfire

Brexit

Post by Snowfire »

Where's Osbourne ? The slimy git. Still hiding under the duvet ?
"He has all the virtues I dislike and none of the vices I admire."

Winston Churchill
Bruv

Brexit

Post by Bruv »

Snowfire;1497792 wrote: Where's Osbourne ? The slimy git. Still hiding under the duvet ?

At home wetting himself with excitement, shaping up his tactics and speeches.......he is heir to Cameron's throne.
spot

Brexit

Post by spot »

George Osborne has less credibility than any politician alive and I do not exclude Al Gore from the competition. He will not, I contend, be our next Prime Minister.
Bruv

Brexit

Post by Bruv »

spot;1497797 wrote: George Osborne has less credibility than any politician alive and I do not exclude Al Gore from the competition. He will not, I contend, be our next Prime Minister.

OK then.....who would have thought Corbyn for Labour ? And how is that one going to turn out, will he go or stay ? As much as I like the sincerity of the bloke he has no go in him, only the die hard lefties can appreciate his approach. What I saw of Giselle Stuart, makes her my favourite to replace him......if.....when...he gets the chop.

I can't see our Boris being waved through, far too problematic with his character and history.

Cast adrift with no decent leadership anywhere.
spot

Brexit

Post by spot »

I'm quite looking forward to a few years of Boris in the hot seat.

Now he's dropped on to the floor

Heading for the bedroom door

Maybe he's as scared as me

Where's he gone now, I can't see
gmc

Brexit

Post by gmc »

LarsMac;1497789 wrote: So, BBC reports that the Scots are exploring the possibility of blocking the exit from EU.

Nicola Sturgeon: Scottish Parliament could veto Brexit | UK Politics | News | The Independent

I can't see another indyref unless she is very sure of the outcome the media try and portray this all as big politicians battling the reality depends on what people decide. The eurosceptics have been lying fr so long now they are faced with owning up to just how much bulkl**** was being spread.

Cornwall votes for Brexit then issues plea to keep EU funding | Home News | News | The Independent

Cornwall votes for Brexit then issues plea to keep EU funding

Betty Boop

Brexit

Post by Betty Boop »

gmc;1497804 wrote:

Cornwall votes for Brexit then issues plea to keep EU funding | Home News | News | The Independent

I didn't!!! I've come across a few eejitts who are now wondering if they did the right thing :-5

Given the amount of EU funding this county has received over the years I was really shocked to see the leave majority.
gmc

Brexit

Post by gmc »

Betty Boop;1497806 wrote: I didn't!!! I've come across a few eejitts who are now wondering if they did the right thing :-5

Given the amount of EU funding this county has received over the years I was really shocked to see the leave majority.

Most people don't realise how much e benefited especially in the early years. Were I in cornwall I would not be holding my breathe waithing for the funding to be replaced.

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/po ... 02831.html
FourPart

Brexit

Post by FourPart »

Betty Boop;1497806 wrote: I didn't!!! I've come across a few eejitts who are now wondering if they did the right thing :-5

Receiving 1/3 back of what we pay in is hardly a matter of receiving EU funding.

I voted Leave, and like it or not, so did the majority of the rest of the country. A Democratic System should accept that decision & move on to make the best of it. But no. What do we see? Demands for a 2nd Referendum when it didn't go the way they wanted. What then? A 3rd? A 4th? These ones who are demanding a 2nd referendum are also, no doubt, the ones who opposed a 2nd Referendum on the Scottish Independence Referendum. Personally, I reckon they should have had the EU Referendum before the Scottish one, as the outcome, whichever way it went, would have greatly affected the result - as well as it making a major case for a 2nd Scottish Referendum right now - and in my opinion, quite rightly so. The goalposts have been moved dramatically. However, did I hear an alternative suggestion of negotiating a deal whereby Scotland could retain EU Membership as well as remaining part of the UK? I could imagine that working. It could be an interesting compromise - although certain additional rules would have to be instigated.
Betty Boop

Brexit

Post by Betty Boop »

FourPart;1497810 wrote: Receiving 1/3 back of what we pay in is hardly a matter of receiving EU funding.

I voted Leave, and like it or not, so did the majority of the rest of the country. A Democratic System should accept that decision & move on to make the best of it. But no. What do we see? Demands for a 2nd Referendum when it didn't go the way they wanted. What then? A 3rd? A 4th? These ones who are demanding a 2nd referendum are also, no doubt, the ones who opposed a 2nd Referendum on the Scottish Independence Referendum. Personally, I reckon they should have had the EU Referendum before the Scottish one, as the outcome, whichever way it went, would have greatly affected the result - as well as it making a major case for a 2nd Scottish Referendum right now - and in my opinion, quite rightly so. The goalposts have been moved dramatically. However, did I hear an alternative suggestion of negotiating a deal whereby Scotland could retain EU Membership as well as remaining part of the UK? I could imagine that working. It could be an interesting compromise - although certain additional rules would have to be instigated.

Wrong words there, it wasn't a majority win so therefore the majority of the country did not vote leave.

And for the record I've not signed the 2nd referendum request. We voted, it's a shame more didn't turn out to mark their cross, I'm guessing that a lot got tired of the lies and decided not to bother in the light of no actual facts to help them make their decision.
Wandrin

Brexit

Post by Wandrin »

What's the best guess as to when UK politicians will formally submit the article 50 paperwork to start the exit process?
spot

Brexit

Post by spot »

FourPart;1497810 wrote: Receiving 1/3 back of what we pay in is hardly a matter of receiving EU funding.

What were the contributions? £350 million a week? If that's so the Bank of England gave away 16 years' worth of EU contributions on Friday just artificially shoring up the value of the pound, and that's on top of the stock market devaluation which is in progress.

Cornwall was a net importer of EU funding, we got back more than we paid. Cornwall and the Isles of Scilly qualify for additional funding as our economic performance is below 75% of the European Union average.

Wandrin;1497816 wrote: What's the best guess as to when UK politicians will formally submit the article 50 paperwork to start the exit process?

If at all it's supposedly October.
gmc

Brexit

Post by gmc »

posted by four part

Receiving 1/3 back of what we pay in is hardly a matter of receiving EU funding.

There was a lot wrong with the eu there ws also a lot right with it. Bit more to it than that, can you seriously believe that a westminster government would have sepnt that kind of money on cornwall, the northeast, wales etc etc. rather westminster was busy selling off our assets to foreign investors and destroying our industrial base. Also the regional development fund was used to develop thye economy oif other member - like spain (that former fascist dictatorship) and the eastern bloc countries that have joined up -don't you remembr all the complaints abkout that from eurosceptics. China is now making it clear that the UK will likely be bypassed as it is no longer a gateway in to europe for chinese businesses all that chinese tel that got dump[ed and killed off our industry guess which nation blocked sanctions against them all thats sucking up to then old commonwealth countrie like india do you really think they ill bother with the UK when they can get straight in to europe without bothering with us - just as tata steel have just done by joining with krupps thyssen. Australia and new zealand well who are you kidding.

Video evidence emerges of Nigel Farage pledging EU millions for NHS weeks before Brexit vote | UK Politics | News | The Independent

You believed this guy? he can't even remember his own lies worse his party members seem to have selective memory as well. Farage wanted to privatis the NHS wonder how many like to prtened he didn't say that either.

Nigel Farage: NHS might have to be replaced by private health insurance | UK Politics | News | The Independent

However, did I hear an alternative suggestion of negotiating a deal whereby Scotland could retain EU Membership as well as remaining part of the UK? I could imagine that working. It could be an interesting compromise - although certain additional rules would have to be instigated.

too early to spculate imo. The lies told by the leave campaign are coming home to roost and a lot of people who voted leave are beginning to realise what they have actually voted for.

Return to “General Chit Chat”