Hi All . . . . . .

General discussion area for all topics not covered in the other forums.
cars

Hi All . . . . . .

Post by cars »

. . . . . just dropping in to say I'm still kickin, and happy to be around.

I don't get on line hardly enough these days, too many RL chores & things need doing right now.

Hope all had a Happy New Year. I'm keeping my resolution this year:

"Not to make any resolutions"! :wah:
Cars :)
spot

Hi All . . . . . .

Post by spot »

It's good to see you in one piece.

RL's overrated, as is Twitter. Well, I say that though I've not tweeted but it seems a strange thing to want to do. Not that you tweet, that I know of.

People also Facebook, apparently. I did try that, I was far more successful than anyone anticipated, I amassed 14 friends.

You are, I suspect, the longest-lasting FG poster.
Nullius in verba ... ☎||||||||||| ... To Fate I sue, of other means bereft, the only refuge for the wretched left.
When flower power came along I stood for Human Rights, marched around for peace and freedom, had some nooky every night - we took it serious.
Who has a spare two minutes to play in this month's FG Trivia game! ... My other OS is Slackware.
G#Gill

Hi All . . . . . .

Post by G#Gill »

Hi Cars, good to see you, and that all is well with the Cars household. Pop in again as and when you can as it's good to see members from so far back still taking part in Forum Garden. Take care.
I'm a Saga-lout, growing old disgracefully
ZAP

Hi All . . . . . .

Post by ZAP »

Nice to see you cars. I always enjoyed your posts. :)

uh, what is RL? (I am not up to date on this computer social networking thingy)
Bryn Mawr

Hi All . . . . . .

Post by Bryn Mawr »

cars;1491944 wrote: . . . . . just dropping in to say I'm still kickin, and happy to be around.

I don't get on line hardly enough these days, too many RL chores & things need doing right now.

And welcome you are too :-6

I hope the RL chores are productive and not too onerous and that all is well with you and yours.
FourPart

Hi All . . . . . .

Post by FourPart »

ZAP;1491996 wrote: Nice to see you cars. I always enjoyed your posts. :)

uh, what is RL? (I am not up to date on this computer social networking thingy)
Real Life.
spot

Hi All . . . . . .

Post by spot »

FourPart;1492014 wrote: Real Life.

Been there, done that, it's not all it's cracked up to be, I've better things to get on with.
Nullius in verba ... ☎||||||||||| ... To Fate I sue, of other means bereft, the only refuge for the wretched left.
When flower power came along I stood for Human Rights, marched around for peace and freedom, had some nooky every night - we took it serious.
Who has a spare two minutes to play in this month's FG Trivia game! ... My other OS is Slackware.
LarsMac

Hi All . . . . . .

Post by LarsMac »

As my gamer grandkid says about RL, "The graphics are AMAZING, but the story line kinda sucks, sometimes."
The home of the soul is the Open Road.
- DH Lawrence
ZAP

Hi All . . . . . .

Post by ZAP »

FourPart;1492014 wrote: Real Life.

Oh yeah. Thanks!
chonsigirl

Hi All . . . . . .

Post by chonsigirl »

Hi Cars!
valerie

Hi All . . . . . .

Post by valerie »

So nice to see these names.. hi Cars, hi Chonsi!
Tamsen's Dogster Page

http://www.dogster.com/?27525

YZGI

Hi All . . . . . .

Post by YZGI »

Aha... I'm not the only one who still lurks, just do't have the time to do much posting these days.
Bryn Mawr

Hi All . . . . . .

Post by Bryn Mawr »

YZGI;1492151 wrote: Aha... I'm not the only one who still lurks, just do't have the time to do much posting these days.

Chill out and the time will come :-)
ZAP

Hi All . . . . . .

Post by ZAP »

YZGI;1492151 wrote: Aha... I'm not the only one who still lurks, just do't have the time to do much posting these days.

Would you please tell me how to pronounce YZGI--is it "Wise Guy" "Izzyghee" or ????
YZGI

Hi All . . . . . .

Post by YZGI »

ZAP;1492155 wrote: Would you please tell me how to pronounce YZGI--is it "Wise Guy" "Izzyghee" or ????

You got it "wiseguy". lol
along-for-the-ride

Hi All . . . . . .

Post by along-for-the-ride »

Me too. Glad to see ya again, cars.
Life is a Highway. Let's share the Commute.
cars

Hi All . . . . . .

Post by cars »

Hi, thanks for the warm welcome from my "old friends", and newer friends.

It seems the older you get, the more "things" need doing, and the doing gets "slower" with each passing year! :wah:

Anyway, now that I'm in the Sunshine State for the winter season, in addition to chores, and projects that need doing, I also try to get in some fishing, golfing, boating, and sight seeing, and also dining out frequently! It's really quite tiring, no really! :D

Over the years, this place has changed its dynamics, now many new names, themes, and discussions.

Back in 2004, I was overwhelmed by having to face the prospect of having to "retire"! It was quite devastating, as working at my career was all I ever knew. I came here looking for comments/opinions/advice from people who were retired, and how they handled it. I got such a wealth of friendly advice from the kind members at that time, they helped me cope with preparing for my retirement. They helped me more then they can ever know, I was, and am extremely grateful to them. (PS: Retirement was, and "is" great, can't imagine ever having to have had to work :D )
Silas Mackey

Hi All . . . . . .

Post by Silas Mackey »

Glad to see this thread here. Thanks!
cars

Hi All . . . . . .

Post by cars »

Silas Mackey;1492826 wrote: Glad to see this thread here. Thanks!

Bangladesh, wow this forum certainly is a league of nations! Welcome Silas, this is a great forum, that lately I have not spent enough time on.
Omni_Skittles

Hi All . . . . . .

Post by Omni_Skittles »

cars;1491944 wrote: . . . . . just dropping in to say I'm still kickin, and happy to be around.

hai!!!!! i had to look at the date twice to make sure it wasnt too late! glad to see your name!
Smoke signals ftw!
Snowfire

Hi All . . . . . .

Post by Snowfire »

Cars you must be one of the first members to join. I wonder who was THE first. Who's the longest serving to still post here ?

I first joined in March 2005 so I'm still a newbie

edit... Val beats you by a month
"He has all the virtues I dislike and none of the vices I admire."

Winston Churchill
ZAP

Hi All . . . . . .

Post by ZAP »

Snowfire;1492904 wrote: Cars you must be one of the first members to join. I wonder who was THE first. Who's the longest serving to still post here ?

I joined July, 2005.
cars

Hi All . . . . . .

Post by cars »

Snowfire;1492904 wrote: Cars you must be one of the first members to join. I wonder who was THE first. Who's the longest serving to still post here ?

When I joined back in 2004, the owner of this forum was named: "Tombstone", he was strict, but fair.

Many of the posters back then don't seem to post here any longer. A few that quickly come to mind, are Nomad, Carla, Kathy Ellen, Guppy, Abbey, and my good friend Lady Cop, who sadly passed away almost 3 years ago.

Since then, this place has become more of a "international" forum, giving opinions and views from around the world. Always a changing world.
Snowfire

Hi All . . . . . .

Post by Snowfire »

cars;1492922 wrote: When I joined back in 2004, the owner of this forum was named: "Tombstone", he was strict, but fair.

Many of the posters back then don't seem to post here any longer. A few that quickly come to mind, are Nomad, Carla, Kathy Ellen, Guppy, Abbey, and my good friend Lady Cop, who sadly passed away almost 3 years ago.

Since then, this place has become more of a "international" forum, giving opinions and views from around the world. Always a changing world.

I was here when Tombstone was the owner and later Anastrophe. Kathy Ellen still pops in occasionally.

Some of the early "heavy" posters have completely disappeared off the face of the Earth and dont even post occasionally. Things must have changed dramatically enough for them not to want to be here.

As for being more international, I remember a poster called Polycarp from India who was a regular, one or two from Spain and Portugal.

Some memorable posters...Capt Buzzcock was one of my first contacts here and I loved the long personal experiences posted regularly by an elderly gent who's name escapes me for the moment

Winston Churchill
Bryn Mawr

Hi All . . . . . .

Post by Bryn Mawr »

cars;1492922 wrote: When I joined back in 2004, the owner of this forum was named: "Tombstone", he was strict, but fair.

I think the first was Anastrophe but some others were Capt Buzzard, Carla, Weeder, Minks, Koan, Bill Sikes, Clint and Peg.

Some members who joined in the first few months are still here - gmc, Ted, Lon and Valerie
ZAP

Hi All . . . . . .

Post by ZAP »

This morning's topics are: Religion-10, Politics-4, Bikers-3, New Members-2, Music-1.
G#Gill

Hi All . . . . . .

Post by G#Gill »

I joined in April 2007 and the site was buzzing. We started the Friends of Carol thread which was constantly being posted in, sometimes as many as 100 posts in a day !!!! That thread broke records and Tombstone asked for us to start an FOC part 2 thread so that he could move the original to the archive. It was something to do with bandwidth or the amount of memory taken up by that one thread ! It was explained at the time, but I can't remember now.

The thread was open to anybody to post more or less what they liked in it, bearing in mind the rules and regs ! But some members thought we were a bit 'exclusive' and avoided the thread like the plague, but of course we weren't exclusive at all. I think there was a bit of jealousy at it always being a very busy thread. There was plenty of fun, banter and the like. There was no need for any jealousy at all and we tried to make sure that folk were made very welcome.

Time moves on, and people change. Some move to other sites, some just actually stop using chat sites and they are seen no more. Sometimes people leave for whatever reason, but then return a few months or maybe a few years later. It's an ever mobile world on the internet with regards to social sites. Ships passing in the night ! One thing is for sure, there are many friendships made on the internet, where people find great company and enjoyment, and as somebody else said, these friendships sometimes develop into actual meetings and those internet friends become real life friends and that is brilliant !

Yes I left FG about 4/5 years ago. I would have liked to have stayed, but circumstances dictated the best course of action for me. I returned intermittently about 2 years ago, then more steadily about a year ago, and I'm still here ! :yh_rotfl

FG comes and goes in waves doesn't it ? I see that this is happening on a lot of social sites at the moment. Whether it is a trend that will pass and sites will pick up, I've no idea. What I do know is that there are an awful lot of people in the world who need company, who are lonely, and these sort of sites are really a life saver in those cases.

As for me, I find it a very interesting hobby. I have made some friends, and I have lost a few friends, but life goes on. There is no point in dwelling on 'what could have beens'. One just gets on with 'I'll try to make it happens' and enjoy doing it ! :yh_wink :yh_whistl:yh_giggle
I'm a Saga-lout, growing old disgracefully
Silas Mackey

Hi All . . . . . .

Post by Silas Mackey »

Hi cars good to see your post here. Keep doing this. Thanks!
Kathy Ellen

Hi All . . . . . .

Post by Kathy Ellen »

Hi Gill,

Sending good vibes to you xx
cars

Hi All . . . . . .

Post by cars »

Kathy Ellen;1492943 wrote: Hi Gill,

Sending good vibes to you xx

Hey now, there is a Kathy Ellen out there, good to see you again it's been a while. Hope all is going your way, and that you're having fun in the :-6
FourPart

Hi All . . . . . .

Post by FourPart »

ZAP;1492925 wrote: This morning's topics are: Religion-10, Politics-4, Bikers-3, New Members-2, Music-1.

Perhaps we should rename it to ForumGardenOfEden.
valerie

Hi All . . . . . .

Post by valerie »

Thomas 40 was an early one, in late August 2004.
Tamsen's Dogster Page

http://www.dogster.com/?27525

spot

Hi All . . . . . .

Post by spot »

Snowfire;1492923 wrote: I loved the long personal experiences posted regularly by an elderly gent who's name escapes me for the momentRandall, a merchant mariner from World War Two who wrote wonderful tales in a voice which was entirely his own. Here's his profile.
Ted

Hi All . . . . . .

Post by Ted »

I made that resolution years ago and have managed to keep it. No resolutions.
Snowfire

Hi All . . . . . .

Post by Snowfire »

spot;1493022 wrote: Randall, a merchant mariner from World War Two who wrote wonderful tales in a voice which was entirely his own. Here's his profile.

Randall. That was him. Great story teller

Winston Churchill

Return to “General Chit Chat”