American literacy ?

General discussion area for all topics not covered in the other forums.
Bruv

American literacy ?

Post by Bruv »

There was a news special that said one in five Americans were illiterate.

That is 20% or a fifth of the population ?

How true can that be in the richest country in the world ?
I thought I knew more than this until I opened my mouth
Ahso!

American literacy ?

Post by Ahso! »

John D. Rockefeller – "I Don’t Want A Nation Of Thinkers. I Want A Nation Of Workers."
“Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities,”

Voltaire

I have only one thing to do and that's

Be the wave that I am and then

Sink back into the ocean

Fiona Apple
tude dog

American literacy ?

Post by tude dog »

Bruv;1508000 wrote: There was a news special that said one in five Americans were illiterate.

Says who?
What happened to Kamala Harris' campaign?
She had the black vote all locked up.
spot

American literacy ?

Post by spot »

tude dog;1508011 wrote: Says who?

The US government, "Program for the International Assessment of Adult Competencies".

https://nces.ed.gov/surveys/piaac/

Third round, 2017.

It makes a few definitions of what it's talking about, of what US over-16s at Level 1 can currently do like write their name or find a cost on a bank statement, and it also lists what they can't do. The 20% at Level 1 fail to be able to "read, write and speak in English, and compute and solve problems at levels of proficiency necessary to function on the job and in society".

The proportion of adults has scarcely moved in decades.

The essential aspect, I suggest, is "at levels of proficiency necessary to function on the job and in society".
Nullius in verba ... ☎||||||||||| ... To Fate I sue, of other means bereft, the only refuge for the wretched left.
When flower power came along I stood for Human Rights, marched around for peace and freedom, had some nooky every night - we took it serious.
Who has a spare two minutes to play in this month's FG Trivia game! ... My other OS is Slackware.
tude dog

American literacy ?

Post by tude dog »

spot;1508012 wrote: The US government, "Program for the International Assessment of Adult Competencies".

Third round, 2017.

It makes a few definitions of what it's talking about, of what US over-16s at Level 1 can currently do like write their name or find a cost on a bank statement, and it also lists what they can't do. The 20% at Level 1 fail to be able to "read, write and speak in English, and compute and solve problems at levels of proficiency necessary to function on the job and in society".

The essential aspect, I suggest, is "at levels of proficiency necessary to function on the job and in society".

Thank you.
spot

American literacy ?

Post by spot »

tude dog;1508014 wrote: Thank you.
Perhaps you could help Bruv as regards "How true can that be in the richest country in the world ?"
Nullius in verba ... ☎||||||||||| ... To Fate I sue, of other means bereft, the only refuge for the wretched left.
When flower power came along I stood for Human Rights, marched around for peace and freedom, had some nooky every night - we took it serious.
Who has a spare two minutes to play in this month's FG Trivia game! ... My other OS is Slackware.
Bryn Mawr

American literacy ?

Post by Bryn Mawr »

spot;1508012 wrote: The US government, "Program for the International Assessment of Adult Competencies".

Third round, 2017.

I would suggest that the relevant words in that quote are "in English".

It implies that they might well be able to read and write and could be more literate than you or I but just not in the local language.
spot

American literacy ?

Post by spot »

It should be a shock to discover that an American government report defines using any language other than English as illiteracy.
Bruv

American literacy ?

Post by Bruv »

tude dog;1508011 wrote: Says who?

HERE is the program I watched.........doubt you will be able to view it in the USA.

The thirteen year old boy and his mother both have weight issues.
spot

American literacy ?

Post by spot »

What is Channel 4?
Bruv

American literacy ?

Post by Bruv »

I find it a terrible indictment of the American system.

They care more about 'freedoms'......freedom to afford the best education......freedom to afford the best health care. Confusing the price with the value.
Bruv

American literacy ?

Post by Bruv »

spot;1508023 wrote: What is Channel 4?

You jest sire.
flopstock

American literacy ?

Post by flopstock »

Sounds about right to me.
I expressly forbid the use of any of my posts anywhere outside of FG (with the exception of the incredibly witty 'get a room already' )posted recently.

Folks who'd like to copy my intellectual work should expect to pay me for it.:-6

LarsMac

American literacy ?

Post by LarsMac »

A day spent reading the average posts on Facebook would support the notion, I think.
The home of the soul is the Open Road.
- DH Lawrence
gmc

American literacy ?

Post by gmc »

How would an illiterate be able to post on or read facebook? with access to computers andtheir prevalence in everyday life I'd have thought the incentive to read is greater than it has ever been.

I have a dyslexic relative who left school with no quslifications now doing an open university degree, illiterate is not synonymous with stupid if it's true the problem has to be the schooling system and/or access to books and computers. Mind you watchig fox news on a regular basis would make anyboidy stupid.
LarsMac

American literacy ?

Post by LarsMac »

gmc;1508061 wrote: How would an illiterate be able to post on or read facebook? with access to computers andtheir prevalence in everyday life I'd have thought the incentive to read is greater than it has ever been.

I have a dyslexic relative who left school with no quslifications now doing an open university degree, illiterate is not synonymous with stupid if it's true the problem has to be the schooling system and/or access to books and computers. Mind you watchig fox news on a regular basis would make anyboidy stupid.

I was being a bit of a smart-ass. But literacy is kind of relative, I think.

My stepson is dyslexic. He is hardly illiterate, though, and he is far more capable of presenting his ideas in writing than half of the denizens of Facebook.

I worked with Project Literacy for some time, teaching Functionaly Illiterate adults to read and write English.

I met people who were completely illiterate, meaning that they had not even the basic grasp that a letter represented a specific vocal sound. Others who were from other countries, and understood that basic, because they could functionally read and write in another language. The first thing we were required to do was determine what level of reading they were capable of and getting them the proper educational resources. My best student was a fellow from Laos, who was completely illiterate, and was still learning English. Once he caught on to the ideal of letter - sound, he took off with it, and within a month, he was reading at a 3rd grade level. Last I heard from him, he was taking high school level classes. On the other hand, some of the most difficult students were the ones who could read and write in their native language but were trying to learn English. Project Literacy was not really their best option.

When I was in China, I was functionally illiterate as far as the average Chinese citizen was concerned. I think I managed to grasp the idea behind about a dozen characters. Fortunately for me, they presented the information in a Western Character set on most street signs and such as well, and often even offered important information in English, as well.

If that 20% figure includes all of the foreign-born adults who have yet to learn English, then it is quite believable.
- DH Lawrence
minks

American literacy ?

Post by minks »

I wonder if "text lingo" is included in this survey lol
�You only live once, but if you do it right, once is enough.�

― Mae West
Bruv

American literacy ?

Post by Bruv »

All the examples in the program I watched were American born and bred. They were all from poor areas.
gmc

American literacy ?

Post by gmc »

Wonder wht the lioteracy rate amongst ukip supporters is:sneaky:
tude dog

American literacy ?

Post by tude dog »

Bruv;1508068 wrote: All the examples in the program I watched were American born and bred. They were all from poor areas.

I found that story on YOUTUBE, Making America Read.

The only thing I learned is Unreported World is a troll looking for a story to exploit among the ignorant.
Snooz

American literacy ?

Post by Snooz »

There are quite a few youtube vids of people being asked very simple questions that anyone with a small degree of intellectual curiosity should know, and most of the people on the street that were approached basically grunt and drool in response. We're a nation of idiots.
Mark Aspam

American literacy ?

Post by Mark Aspam »

Bruv;1508000 wrote: There was a news special that said one in five Americans were illiterate.

Comedienne Judy Tenuta used to do ---maybe still does---a routine where she is in the US south and a southern man (played by Judy) tells her, "Ya know, Judy, there's a difference between the North and the South!". And Judy, (playing herself) responds, "Well, ya, in the North there's a cut-off age for SLEEPING WITH YOUR PARENTS!"

That might be part of the 20%.
LarsMac

American literacy ?

Post by LarsMac »

Snooz;1508078 wrote: There are quite a few youtube vids of people being asked very simple questions that anyone with a small degree of intellectual curiosity should know, and most of the people on the street that were approached basically grunt and drool in response. We're a nation of idiots.

The thing I always keep in mind when watching those sorts of videos is that they select the ones they want to show, and edit before publishing, so there is no telling how many people they actually approached, and recorded.
- DH Lawrence
Snowfire

American literacy ?

Post by Snowfire »

Snooz;1508078 wrote: There are quite a few youtube vids of people being asked very simple questions that anyone with a small degree of intellectual curiosity should know, and most of the people on the street that were approached basically grunt and drool in response. We're a nation of idiots.

To be fair, you can find the same kind of video for us here in the UK. You don't have a monopoly on ignoramouseseses. Or is it ignoramii ?
"He has all the virtues I dislike and none of the vices I admire."

Winston Churchill
Bruv

American literacy ?

Post by Bruv »

tude dog;1508074 wrote: I found that story on YOUTUBE, Making America Read.

The only thing I learned is Unreported World is a troll looking for a story to exploit among the ignorant.

Are you disputing the program's veracity ?
Bruv

American literacy ?

Post by Bruv »

They are Comedy videos.

The program I watched and refer to is a highly respected serious news report.
gmc

American literacy ?

Post by gmc »

Snowfire;1508081 wrote: To be fair, you can find the same kind of video for us here in the UK. You don't have a monopoly on ignoramouseseses. Or is it ignoramii ?

What do you call it when you can't type properly. Well I can type properly but you get my drift I hope.
Bruv

American literacy ?

Post by Bruv »

gmc;1508085 wrote: What do you call it when you can't type properly. Well I can type properly but you get my drift I hope.

Careless ? Busy ?
spot

American literacy ?

Post by spot »

Snowfire;1508081 wrote: You don't have a monopoly on ignoramouseseses. Or is it ignoramii ?
Ignormals?
tude dog

American literacy ?

Post by tude dog »

Bruv;1508082 wrote: Are you disputing the program's veracity ?

What gave you that idea?

Quote Originally Posted by tude dog View Post

I found that story on YOUTUBE, Making America Read.

Bruv

American literacy ?

Post by Bruv »

tude dog;1508122 wrote: What gave you that idea?

You calling me ignorant ?

Do you trust an American source ? HERE
Snooz

American literacy ?

Post by Snooz »

Bruv;1508083 wrote: They are Comedy videos.

The program I watched and refer to is a highly respected serious news report.

I'm not disputing the respectability of your news source and I don't think the videos I was talking about are funny in the least.
FourPart

American literacy ?

Post by FourPart »

You refer to America being the richest country in the world (actually, based on GDP it's only the 6th richest). However, might I suggest that the main answer refers to distribrution of wealth. As with most countries (especially so in the US), the vast majority of the country's total wealth is owned by only 3 - 5% of the population. An especially high proportion of the US population are Black or Hispanic - groups which are oppressed from the start. There is very little available in the US as far as a Welfare State is concerned. It's a case of survive or get an education. Those below the poverty level can't afford to do both.
spot

American literacy ?

Post by spot »

FourPart;1508131 wrote: You refer to America being the richest country in the world (actually, based on GDP it's only the 6th richest).

What makes you think that?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_c ... _(nominal)

Arguably 2nd but definitely 1st.

Who on earth do you think could be higher placed? Why? Not even the entire EU can manage it, much less other nations.
Bruv

American literacy ?

Post by Bruv »

Snooz;1508126 wrote: I'm not disputing the respectability of your news source and I don't think the videos I was talking about are funny in the least.

Not you......Deputy Dawg, unless Trump or Fox says it, he thinks it's wrong...................and anti American.......or that could just be my way of seeing it.
FourPart

American literacy ?

Post by FourPart »

spot;1508134 wrote: What makes you think that?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_c ... _(nominal)

Arguably 2nd but definitely 1st.

Who on earth do you think could be higher placed? Why? Not even the entire EU can manage it, much less other nations.
Ranking of 25 richest countries - Business Insider
spot

American literacy ?

Post by spot »

FourPart;1508139 wrote: Ranking of 25 richest countries - Business Insider

Can you see the bit that says "GDP per capita"?
FourPart

American literacy ?

Post by FourPart »

spot;1508140 wrote: Can you see the bit that says "GDP per capita"?

Can you see the bit that says "Based on GDP" in my post.
spot

American literacy ?

Post by spot »

The difference between "based on GDP" and "based on GDP per capita" would seem to be several places on the ranking table.
ZAP

American literacy ?

Post by ZAP »

Years ago when I brought my 3 daughters, Jr. High and Sr. High, to a California town on the Mexican border, they would complain to me that they'd had the same material the year before in Pennsylvania. I learned that the teachers were required to teach first in English and then to translate the lesson to Spanish because there were so many students who didn't speak English. Two of my daughters had one other Anglo student in their class and one daughter had none.

I wonder if the survey statistics included aliens and refugees?
tude dog

American literacy ?

Post by tude dog »

Bruv;1508124 wrote: You calling me ignorant ?

Do you trust an American source ? HERE

You are fixated on the 20% thing.

What I am looking at is a video focused on a ver narrow situation an applying it to the rest of the nation.
tude dog

American literacy ?

Post by tude dog »

ZAP;1508143 wrote: Years ago when I brought my 3 daughters, Jr. High and Sr. High, to a California town on the Mexican border, they would complain to me that they'd had the same material the year before in Pennsylvania. I learned that the teachers were required to teach first in English and then to translate the lesson to Spanish because there were so many students who didn't speak English. Two of my daughters had one other Anglo student in their class and one daughter had none.

I wonder if the survey statistics included aliens and refugees?

I grew up in California with the blessing of multiculturalism.

Didn't have to go to the border or other oppressed peoples, they came to me.
Bruv

American literacy ?

Post by Bruv »

tude dog;1508236 wrote: I grew up in California with the blessing of multiculturalism.

Didn't have to go to the border or other oppressed peoples, they came to me.

Believe that is what the Native Americans once said.......................before you lot arrived.
tude dog

American literacy ?

Post by tude dog »

Bruv;1508237 wrote: Believe that is what the Native Americans once said.......................before you lot arrived.

What does that have to do with

The USA's in the grip of an illiteracy crisis, with nearly one in five adults now unable to read. Unreported World visits Detroit, where two thirds of high school students struggle with basic reading.

Problem is, when did this illiteracy crisis start?
Bruv

American literacy ?

Post by Bruv »

tude dog;1508274 wrote: Problem is, when did this illiteracy crisis start?

Do you know ?

"The house is on fire".........."When did it catch alight"?........................................ "just pass me the bucket of water"
tude dog

American literacy ?

Post by tude dog »

Bruv;1508278 wrote: Do you know ?

"The house is on fire".........."When did it catch alight"?........................................ "just pass me the bucket of water"

That's funny:D

Must have been put out a long time ago, the crisis that is.

How to improve education has been a constant issue. Failing schools etc. have been a disgrace and reforms are constantly thwarted. Even in the video reforms suggested by Betsy DeVos and craved by much of America were dismissed.

I find it wrong to call the norm a crisis.
Bruv

American literacy ?

Post by Bruv »

So why can other, poorer, less advanced countries educate and look after the health of their citizens better.....................Cuba ?
LarsMac

American literacy ?

Post by LarsMac »

Bruv;1508300 wrote: So why can other, poorer, less advanced countries educate and look after the health of their citizens better.....................Cuba ?

Simple. They are not spending their education budgets on military gear.
- DH Lawrence
tude dog

American literacy ?

Post by tude dog »

Bruv;1508300 wrote: So why can other, poorer, less advanced countries educate and look after the health of their citizens better.....................Cuba ?

:-2

Nuff said.
spot

American literacy ?

Post by spot »

tude dog;1508313 wrote: :-2

Nuff said.
Are you trying to imply it's not true?

I'd happily provide statistics if that helps.

America's educational attainment is typified these days by the White House Comedian, Sean Spicer. I can offer examples there too:Comparing the Nazi leader with Syria’s Bashar al-Assad, Spicer told journalists during his regular press briefing at the White House: “We didn’t use chemical weapons in world war two. You had someone as despicable as Hitler who didn’t even sink to using chemical weapons.”

Asked to clarify the remarks, he added: “I think when you come to sarin gas, he was not using the gas on his own people the same way that Assad is doing.”

A reporter in the room shouted that Jews had been targeted. Stuttering and gesticulating, Spicer stumbled on: “Thank you, I appreciate that. There was not in the – he brought them into the Holocaust centres – I understand that. But I’m saying in the way that Assad used them, where he went into towns, dropped them down into the middle of towns.

“So, the use of it, I appreciate the clarification. That was not the intent.”

Spicer attempted once again to explain himself in an early evening appearance on CNN, and issued an apology.

“I was obviously trying to make a point about the heinous acts that Assad had made against his own people last week, using chemical weapons and gas. Frankly, I mistakenly made an inappropriate and insensitive reference to the Holocaust, for which there is no comparison,” Spicer said in an interview with Wolf Blitzer. “And for that I apologize. It was a mistake to do that.”

More than 6 million Jews were murdered, along with large numbers of Gypsies, gay people, political dissidents and others, during the Holocaust. Many were killed in gas chambers with chemical gas agents such as Zyklon B. It is unclear if Spicer’s reference to “Holocaust centres” was to the gas chambers or to concentration camps or something else.

The statement came on the first day of Passover, the Jewish holiday which commemorates the liberation of the Jewish people from slavery in Egypt.

https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/201 ... aust-assad

The cultural sensitivity of Americans never fails to amaze me.

Return to “General Chit Chat”