Outrage in Germany

General discussion area for all topics not covered in the other forums.
spot

Re: Outrage in Germany

Post by spot »

tude dog wrote: Tue Jul 20, 2021 1:38 pm Turkey Information

Wild turkeys were reintroduced into Kansas in the 1960s, and the program has been a great success. Today, huntable populations of turkeys exist in nearly every county. The Rio Grande subspecies dominates the western two-thirds of the state. Low numbers in the southwest provide only limited hunting. Hybrid Rio Grande/Eastern birds are found in the northcentral region. The Eastern subspecies is common in the northeast and far southeast regions, where numbers have grown tremendously in recent years.

We will, of course, differ on whether cultured nations would allow the hunting of wild populations of any vertebrate species, whether the resulting dead animal is subsequently eaten or not. I might, for example, allow such killing for subsistence, but I don't imagine that's a major factor, and even then I'd exclude endangered species. Subsistence, before anyone asks, means for those at need, it does not mean for those who choose to eat parts of the resulting carcass as an excuse, and it seems impossible to me that anyone living in a cultured nation would be so poor to begin with.

Britain, for example, allows wild fish to be killed for so-called sport. Fortunately most fish and birds killed in this way in Britain are in fact captive-bred to attract paying animal killers, and the dead animals were never wild in the first place, but they definitely took up space which could instead have been occupied by their wild brethren.
Nullius in verba ... ☎||||||||||| ... To Fate I sue, of other means bereft, the only refuge for the wretched left.
When flower power came along I stood for Human Rights, marched around for peace and freedom, had some nooky every night - we took it serious.
Who has a spare two minutes to play in this month's FG Trivia game! ... My other OS is Slackware.
tude dog

Post by tude dog »

spot wrote: Wed Jul 21, 2021 12:22 am
tude dog wrote: Tue Jul 20, 2021 1:38 pm Turkey Information

Wild turkeys were reintroduced into Kansas in the 1960s, and the program has been a great success. Today, huntable populations of turkeys exist in nearly every county. The Rio Grande subspecies dominates the western two-thirds of the state. Low numbers in the southwest provide only limited hunting. Hybrid Rio Grande/Eastern birds are found in the northcentral region. The Eastern subspecies is common in the northeast and far southeast regions, where numbers have grown tremendously in recent years.

We will, of course, differ on whether cultured nations would allow the hunting of wild populations of any vertebrate species, whether the resulting dead animal is subsequently eaten or not. I might, for example, allow such killing for subsistence, but I don't imagine that's a major factor, and even then I'd exclude endangered species. Subsistence, before anyone asks, means for those at need, it does not mean for those who choose to eat parts of the resulting carcass as an excuse, and it seems impossible to me that anyone living in a cultured nation would be so poor to begin with.

Britain, for example, allows wild fish to be killed for so-called sport. Fortunately most fish and birds killed in this way in Britain are in fact captive-bred to attract paying animal killers, and the dead animals were never wild in the first place, but they definitely took up space which could instead have been occupied by their wild brethren.
The first time I went hunting was on my aunt and uncle's farm, but it really wasn't hunting as rabbits were a common sight. It was to be more of killing a pest. I had one in my sight and hesitated to make sure the shot would be a clear kill, the rabbit got tired of waiting and ran off.

Since Mrs. Dog and I moved to Kansas I realized being in a rural area is just great for hunting peasants. Come across many opportunities to harvest deer but I pass as that is too much work and meat.
What happened to Kamala Harris' campaign?
She had the black vote all locked up.
spot

Post by spot »

tude dog wrote: Wed Jul 21, 2021 1:50 pm
Since Mrs. Dog and I moved to Kansas I realized being in a rural area is just great for hunting peasants.

That's been the position of the English aristocracy since the arrival of William the Conqueror. I'm surprised the idea traveled across the Atlantic though.

Perhaps peasant is an American euphemism for black?
Nullius in verba ... ☎||||||||||| ... To Fate I sue, of other means bereft, the only refuge for the wretched left.
When flower power came along I stood for Human Rights, marched around for peace and freedom, had some nooky every night - we took it serious.
Who has a spare two minutes to play in this month's FG Trivia game! ... My other OS is Slackware.
tude dog

Post by tude dog »

spot wrote: Fri Jul 23, 2021 2:54 am
tude dog wrote: Wed Jul 21, 2021 1:50 pm
Since Mrs. Dog and I moved to Kansas I realized being in a rural area is just great for hunting peasants.

That's been the position of the English aristocracy since the arrival of William the Conqueror. I'm surprised the idea traveled across the Atlantic though.

Perhaps peasant is an American euphemism for black?
What happened to Kamala Harris' campaign?
She had the black vote all locked up.
spot

Post by spot »

In the Bronx they call those boids.

In Britain every pheasant is bred and reared to be shot, there are no wild ones here. It's a vile trade.
LarsMac

Post by LarsMac »

spot wrote: Fri Jul 23, 2021 3:35 pm ...

In Britain every pheasant is bred and reared to be shot, there are no wild ones here. It's a vile trade.
That seems a tragedy, in my book.

We have a number of Pheasants around our area. They are natural inhabitants.
I have yet to capture a photo. They only seem to show when I am driving to the next town.
Perhaps when we finish cleaning up the pasture for the grandkids' horse, the birds might find our farm a useful habitat.

Peasants, on the other hand seem to be rare around here. We have the occasional under-educated farm hand, but for the most part, the neighbor folk are fairly well off land-holders.
The home of the soul is the Open Road.
- DH Lawrence
spot

Post by spot »

Have you yet been threatened with those huge fires they have further West?

I'm in London for August.
LarsMac

Post by LarsMac »

spot wrote: Tue Jul 27, 2021 9:00 am Have you yet been threatened with those huge fires they have further West?

No fires around here. We are mostly farms around here, producing Wheat, Sorghum, and Corn for cattle feed.
We have had days where smoke from the fires in Utah and New Mexico have blocked the Sun.
The home of the soul is the Open Road.
- DH Lawrence
spot

Post by spot »

LarsMac wrote: Thu Jul 29, 2021 12:29 pm
spot wrote: Tue Jul 27, 2021 9:00 am Have you yet been threatened with those huge fires they have further West?

No fires around here. We are mostly farms around here, producing Wheat, Sorghum, and Corn for cattle feed.
We have had days where smoke from the fires in Utah and New Mexico have blocked the Sun.
Back in the old days you'd have to wait for Krakatoa to explode and even then nobody blamed Global Warming.

Return to “General Chit Chat”