Is this blasphemy?

Discuss the Christian Faith.
actionfigurestepho

Is this blasphemy?

Post by actionfigurestepho »

I used to consider myself a good little Christian girl, very trusting in the Lord. I was always able to deal with my problems by praying about them. I knew that maybe the problem wouldn't go away but that I would be able to deal with it with greater strength and understanding.

Then my kidneys failed.

People ask me why they failed and my knee jerk response is "because God hates me." Or I'll have some well-meaning person say "Jesus will heal you." And I'll yell "then why did he do this to me!"

Immediately after the words leave my mouth (and I've stopped saying it verbally, so immediately after the thought pops into my head) I mentally slap myself. I know God didn't do this to me. Intellectually I KNOW that. And a part of me is afraid that I'm really being disrespectful to my faith by even having these knee-jerk thoughts.

My parents raised me to believe that everything happens for a reason. So here's my thought process. If everything happens for a reason, than praying to be healed isn't going to do jack. I've prayed for strength and I'm still struggling just as badly as I was before. It's very hard to feel that there's even a point in prayer for me right now.

Is this blasphemy? My anger towards God, my cynicism? Is this a normal thing that even very trusting Christians go through? Is it OK to be a little bitter?

I know this is a heavy subject but I'd really like some opinions that DON'T come from family members who are probably more scared than I am.
Lon

Is this blasphemy?

Post by Lon »

Sorry to hear about your kidney problem. I personally don't believe that things happen for a reason, but rather, that they happen for no explicable reason to some people. You have every right to get angry that this happened to you, but don't blame anyone, there is no one to blame. Once your anger subsides, focus your energies on how best to live and be happy with your condition.

You list your interests as NARCOTICS & your hobby a COMPLAINER. Is this what you want others to know about you?
mominiowa

Is this blasphemy?

Post by mominiowa »

Hello there--- I know what you are feeling and I know that you can not control your anger when things just keep piling up on you-- I have had cancer for 4 years now..I have 4 small children and it's just not fair! My 5 year old will say -"lifes not fair- is it mom" that was my favorite line - then I relalized if I didn't start living - I was not going to make memories with my kids that needed to be made...I don't beleive that FAITH or God has a lot to do with our health--I beleive this only becuase its not God who makes us suffer - No -we can not change the fact we are not healthy and that we are so sick that somedays all we want to do is - tap him on the right shoulder and say - "here I am" ---but I don't beleive that any of the times I looked up and screamed "I hate YOU for making me sick" that God was punishing me for that..or that he didn't forgive me... In my twisted way of thinking - I beleive that the Greater Being whatever he/she maybe is - is some one who will be there in the end...and with all the war- illness -disease- and death of young children and old that He will serve us better when we are with Him in the end...

Now tomorrow - I will tell another story - and that will be the day I am hurting so bad that I place fault with Him again....You just never know about me...I just sometimes look at the eyes of the small children that I see at the Cancer center and wonder really if there is someone that is so great and powerful......So the answer to your question - an hour later LOL- No you are not comminting BLASPHEMY in my eyes......Be well and take care--they are cutting my ureter and re routing it to give my right kidney a rest - the first of Septmeber..are you on dialysis yet? U will have to fill me in on that - as that will be my next step - if I choose to go on it....:(

~~The Family~~

Happiness is knowing where you come from...

Who you are...

And why you are here.....
pink princess

Is this blasphemy?

Post by pink princess »

i used to go to church every weekend

my mum has been ill all my life and now i have an illness for the rest of my life...... my faith/belief/understanding of god has completely fallen by the wayside im afraid

im sure he has a grand plan which explains all the bad things that happen to good people and why good things happen to bad people but until i die i dont think i will understand it and until i do understand it tho i may believe god exists i have no idea in what context anymore

id rather surround myself with people i love and can see and hold then someone i cant see but u have to have faith in..... when something really good goes my way then perhaps ill start to believe again, selfish and greedy perhaps but ive had enough cr*p go in my young life to question things..... i think anyway!

action just believe in what you want to, whatevers meant to be will be, dont make youself feel guilty for anything you think or want to think... lifes too short!
life is what you make it

my boyfriend just proposed to me (05/05/05) and im blissfully happy!! :-4 im engaged!! i have a fiance!! :-4

um..... well thats a bit out of date! im married now! and married life is the best thing in the entire world! with my husband by side my life is complete

:-4
Accountable

Is this blasphemy?

Post by Accountable »

I've avoided this thread because of the same awkward feelings that make me avoid such situations in the 3D world. I'm shamed.

I can't relate to what you're going through. I've never had anyone close experience such a thing. I have not advice to give you and any encouragement would be trite.

I can do this: I offer my friendship. I offer to forget/neglect/ignore that you are not 100% healthy and will treat you as such. I will give you praise when I agree with you and will tell you you're nuts when you are. And the moment I detect you're feeling sorry for yourself I'll slap you in the head, because that's what friends do.

In short, I offer what I have. Me
pink princess

Is this blasphemy?

Post by pink princess »

Accountable wrote:

well thats good enough for me

:) :-4
life is what you make it

my boyfriend just proposed to me (05/05/05) and im blissfully happy!! :-4 im engaged!! i have a fiance!! :-4

um..... well thats a bit out of date! im married now! and married life is the best thing in the entire world! with my husband by side my life is complete

:-4
mominiowa

Is this blasphemy?

Post by mominiowa »

Accountable wrote: I've avoided this thread because of the same awkward feelings that make me avoid such situations in the 3D world. I'm shamed.

I can't relate to what you're going through. I've never had anyone close experience such a thing. I have not advice to give you and any encouragement would be trite.

I can do this: I offer my friendship. I offer to forget/neglect/ignore that you are not 100% healthy and will treat you as such. I will give you praise when I agree with you and will tell you you're nuts when you are. And the moment I detect you're feeling sorry for yourself I'll slap you in the head, because that's what friends do.

Accountable.......that is what every person needs to hear - healthy or not.. I have a friend who says she has always wanted to be a cheerleader and she was always over 200 lbs all through high school - NOW finally after all these years she gets to be one...She is mine- She yells for a "bad call" right along with me...she yells and cheers "for the good calls" - and she is there standing looking frightened when they take the hurt one off the field.to get all patched up again...Ya gotta love her!!!! Your quote was well understood - and I sent it to her..she loved the "slap you in the head part" cuz she has had to do that to me several pity party times before!! YOUR GREAT!:-4

~~The Family~~

Happiness is knowing where you come from...

Who you are...

And why you are here.....
BTS

Is this blasphemy?

Post by BTS »

mominiowa wrote: Accountable.......that is what every person needs to hear - healthy or not.. I have a friend who says she has always wanted to be a cheerleader and she was always over 200 lbs all through high school - NOW finally after all these years she gets to be one...She is mine- She yells for a "bad call" right along with me...she yells and cheers "for the good calls" - and she is there standing looking frightened when they take the hurt one off the field.to get all patched up again...Ya gotta love her!!!! Your quote was well understood - and I sent it to her..she loved the "slap you in the head part" cuz she has had to do that to me several pity party times before!! YOUR GREAT!:-4

I Second your EMOTIONS Mom.............
"If America Was A Tree, The Left Would Root For The Termites...Greg Gutfeld."
Ted

Is this blasphemy?

Post by Ted »

Action:-6

You like mom and nvalleyvee are in my prayers. We do not understand pain and suffering. We do not understand why bad things happen to good people etc. But pain and suffering seem to be a part of the human experience. Even Jesus endured indescribable pain and suffering.

I say the following not to gain sympathy. That I do not need. All I need is understanding. Two years ago I needed emergency 5X bypass surgery. That winter in the space of 7 weeks my father passed away, his sister, aunt passed away and 4 days after my father passed away his brother was killed in a car accident. This was all followed by an angiogram that turned into a nightmare. The groin artery did not heal properly and in the space of 1 day I lost over half my blood into my right leg. It almost cost me my leg but luckily it didn't happen. Now, however, it pains me daily though I still walk.

On top of all that I am going blind. I have a rare disease that could see me stone blind by tomorrow morning.

To this day I carry in my wallent though I can't read it now a poem called "Footprints". In short sometimes there are two sets of prints in the sand mine and my Lord's and sometimes I see only one set. That is when the Lord is carrying me.

I like others do not believe that God plans these things. I also believe that God weeps when we weep. Nevertheless He is always there when we need comfort. My personal prayer is much like one Jesus said; "Lord if it be your will take this cup from me but nevertheless thy will be done" They I pray that whatever happens God will be there to support me when I need it, that He will give me the courage the the strength to face what is ahead. He has never once let me down and He fully understands when you get angry and shake your fist at Him but nonetheless He is still there for you.

I carry on in my life. I've had to change a few things and find new things to do that are still part of my vocation and my feeling that I have been called to be a servant both in society and at church and at home.

Rail out in anger yes. However, never give up. God is with you and at times bearing all the weight.

May God bless you and help you find the peace that you seek as you proceed on your journey.

Shalom

Ted:-6
Majenta

Is this blasphemy?

Post by Majenta »

hey action,

I'm really sorry to hear that your health is suffering. I think I can understand where you're coming from, in as much as I've been quite torn up wondering how religion fits in to a bad situation. I used to be religious, not so much anymore for reasons I won't go into here, but I know how it feels to be questioning what you've held to be fundamentally true, and it is really hard. But in answer to your question, yes, I think it is ok to be bitter and angry. In the bible it says that God wants people to direct their anger at him and he will deal with it... better that than let it consume you or be let out at the people around you. At the end of the day, Christianity is about the love God has for his children, and he understands the pain that we go through and how it's hard to find answers. This may sound hipocritical from someone who is rapidly losing their faith, but I really hope you find a way to reconcile this with yourself. If God is up there, he will understand and help you deal with your situation - including your anger - if you just put your trust in him.

take care and the best of luck.
Dizz

Is this blasphemy?

Post by Dizz »

I don't think God wants us to be spending our energies worshipping him. I don't even think he cares if we have faith in him or not. He's a great omniscient (sp?) being. I would think he would be above all that. God created us in his image as well as the rest of the world. He set life and cycles in motion. Part of that is disease... It's all part of the system he created. I think God is less involved than we think he is, but I will be the first to admit that miracles happen.... and usually they don't. Faith is wonderful for people to draw strength from and God helps in that way. I don't attend church, but was raised Catholic and have a fairly pragmatic view on it. My life as slightly more blessings than curses. It doesn't seems to be any better or worse than the average christian/buddist/agnostic. I really do hope that your kidneys get better. Determination, luck, and hope will go a long way I think.
"Those who can laugh without cause have either found the true meaning of happiness or have gone stark raving mad."

:yh_rotfl
actionfigurestepho

Is this blasphemy?

Post by actionfigurestepho »

Dizz, I couldn't have said it better..."miracles happen...and usually they don't."

I realy get angry when people look at me with pious looks on their faces, murmuring "Jesus will heal you." Yeah, sure he will. *snort* It's not that I don't believe it CAN happen---I don't believe it WILL happen.

I'm really glad to see I'm not the only person who struggles with faith issues. For awhile I felt so horribly for even daring to mentally question the fundamentals of what I'd been grown up to believe, but I guess you can't really grow strong in what you believe unless you can go through something that tests it and come out all right on the other side.

I really appreciate everyone else sharing their personal stories. Thanks guys : )
Raven

Is this blasphemy?

Post by Raven »

Gosh it's amazing to see how cults and heresy have invaded the faith!

No, sweety. It's not blasphemy. God understands our puny anger.

God DOES heal. Everytime you take an aspirin for a headache, the pain goes away, right? The fact that you're still amongst us struggling with these issues shows that God doesnt overburden. I know sometimes it feels He does. I too have had my fair share of suffering, trials and tribulations. And oh yes! Lets not forget the tremendous faith crash I had a few years back. Its called pruning. It hurts.

The faith healers of the tv evangelist ilk, have a prominent place in scripture. They are condemed quite soundly for their deceipt. We were warned that these days would come. Blind leading the blind etc. Wolves in sheeps clothing. We all have a purpose. Christ told us that in this world we would have tribulation. Why is everyone so suprised when we do?:thinking:
~Quoth the Raven, Nevermore!~
Valerie100

Is this blasphemy?

Post by Valerie100 »

I believe that everything happens for a reason. Your kidney problems may have no greater purpose for you, but it may have a very important effect on someone else's life. You just don't know how God is using you at this time.

And he has answered your prayer for strength. You're still alive and fighting. What better way to show strength? Don't you see it? He has answered your prayer and is making you stronger through your struggle.

The important thing now is the way you choose to handle and behave in the situation of being so sick. When you go to heaven, that's what is going to matter to God -- how you dealt with the situation that is before you.

If you curse God and get angry at him, you are just hurting yourself in the long run. God's reason for your going through this right now could be nothing more than him pulling you closer to him, because you're sick and can now turn your full attention solely to him, in your anguish. You just really don't know what he has in mind for you or how he is using you or why he has let this happen. Know that if he hasn't healed you by now, there is a reason for that also. He hears you and he knows. Trust in his divine plan for your life. That's all I can say.

If you don't mind an alternative suggestion, then you can mentally or verbally ask angels to help you, and they will. I've read some books called "Angel Therapy," and "Healing with Angels," and the angels are always willing to help. All you have to do is ask them to help you. They need your permission before they can act.

If you choose to try this, tell the angels what is happening to you with your kidneys. Tell them how badly you feel. Tell them your fears and worries and anything else that they might need to know about you and your situation. Ask them to step in and help you. Ask them to heal you. Ask them for their comfort. If you feel something touching your hair and/or your shoulders as you are mentally or verbally talking to the angels, please know that it is them listening to you. I've read this in the books, and it has also happened to me. This may just be the answer you need right now for your health concerns. Angels are powerful miracle workers!

I'll pray for you.
Accountable

Is this blasphemy?

Post by Accountable »

With respect, Val, I don't think bad things happen for a reason. If our lives were orchestrated around God's purposes, where is our free will? No, I think things happen, and it's up to us to make something of it. Our reaction is our choice.

I'll stop there & jump back in later. :-6
Ted

Is this blasphemy?

Post by Ted »

Accountable:-6

I am in agreement with that. My prayer is often for God to take this cup from me but nevertheless his will be done. Then I simply and humbly ask for the strength and courage to face whatever the future holds.

I do, however, believe in the power of prayer and touch to heal. I can't explain it nor do I understand it but God does work in mysterious ways.

Shalom

Ted
naty2005

Is this blasphemy?

Post by naty2005 »

Do you pray with thankfullness and expectation? We can't go to God and have our way and if we don't we will get angry. It says in the word to delight yourself in the Lord and he will give you the desires of your heart. It comes from delighting yourself in him. Keep your mind on him and God will take care of you. The enemy always try to put doubt in our minds. Maybe He wants you do develop patients and log-suffering thats one of the fruits of the spirit. I'll pray for you I don't know who you are but God does. He will always love you. God bless.:-6
naty2005

Is this blasphemy?

Post by naty2005 »

Accountable wrote: With respect, Val, I don't think bad things happen for a reason. If our lives were orchestrated around God's purposes, where is our free will? No, I think things happen, and it's up to us to make something of it. Our reaction is our choice.

I'll stop there & jump back in later. :-6
Things do happen for a reason. God wants us to turn to him in bad situations or good. If nothing happens we don't pray. God knows how we are. If everyday is perfect no one will go to him. That's why before Israel went into the promise land God warned them and said beware not to forget about me when they enter the promise land because it was a very fruitfull land. I'm not saying it's his fault bad things happen but he wants us to run to him in prayer and to look to him for strength. As long as were in this earth problems will come. If christ is the lord of your life God will keep your mind and heart in Christ Jesus. THATS A PROMISE.:yh_worshp
naty2005

Is this blasphemy?

Post by naty2005 »

Dizz wrote: I don't think God wants us to be spending our energies worshipping him. I don't even think he cares if we have faith in him or not. He's a great omniscient (sp?) being. I would think he would be above all that. God created us in his image as well as the rest of the world. He set life and cycles in motion. Part of that is disease... It's all part of the system he created. I think God is less involved than we think he is, but I will be the first to admit that miracles happen.... and usually they don't. Faith is wonderful for people to draw strength from and God helps in that way. I don't attend church, but was raised Catholic and have a fairly pragmatic view on it. My life as slightly more blessings than curses. It doesn't seems to be any better or worse than the average christian/buddist/agnostic. I really do hope that your kidneys get better. Determination, luck, and hope will go a long way I think.
You need to read the psalms!! It's prayers and worship from David. Worship is a big part of being a Christian. He inhabits in our worship. King David when he was depressed he would worship God. Worshipping is a burden lifter Before praying you should worship by telling him who he is and how much you love him. How you act around people and even by yourself is a worship. It says in the word whatever you do, do unto the Lord. Make worship a part of your life. When you worship you invite his presence. Praying and worship is a pleasing aroma to the LORD. :yh_worshp
SOJOURNER

Is this blasphemy?

Post by SOJOURNER »

actionfigurestepho wrote:

Then my kidneys failed. People ask me why they failed and my knee jerk response is "because God hates me." Or I'll have some well-meaning person say "Jesus will heal you." And I'll yell "then why did he do this to me!"

Immediately after the words leave my mouth (and I've stopped saying it verbally, so immediately after the thought pops into my head) I mentally slap myself. I know God didn't do this to me. Intellectually I KNOW that. And a part of me is afraid that I'm really being disrespectful to my faith by even having these knee-jerk thoughts.

My parents raised me to believe that everything happens for a reason. So here's my thought process. If everything happens for a reason, than praying to be healed isn't going to do jack. I've prayed for strength and I'm still struggling just as badly as I was before. It's very hard to feel that there's even a point in prayer for me right now.

Is this blasphemy? My anger towards God, my cynicism? Is this a normal thing that even very trusting Christians go through? Is it OK to be a little bitter?

I know this is a heavy subject but I'd really like some opinions that DON'T come from family members who are probably more scared than I am.

If people are honest, I think they will say (just like in any relationship) that there are times they are angry with God, disappointed in Him, or maybe hurt by his silence.

I know I am/have been. I am a person who when angry or upset clams up. I won't talk to you and I didn't talk to God. I stewed. I also spoke sharply about why I was angry with Him. I withdrew from church doings.

BUT, I knew in my heart that once God has you as His own, He will never let you go. So I waited and 'tried' to pray for a desire to be close to Him again. They call this the 'desert times'.

Well, I've been in the desert for a while now, but I'm coming to an oasis and I know the rainforests are out there too.

Have faith. Be honest in your feelings. You may feel you are deserting God, but He will never let you go. Why do bad things happen to good people. Sometimes they just do. God never promised you a life full of happiness and free of pain. You have but to look at the life of Jesus to know this.

Reading the book of JOB might not be a great deal of comfort either, but it will show that even the faithful are put to tests in this life. Where is God in all of this? He's there in the form of family and friends and FG posters who go outside their little worlds just a bit to help ease your pain and hurt through a comforting word, a gesture or some type of physical help. We are all here for a reason. We need to find that reason and act upon it.

Life is not about us. "Everything got started in him and finds its purpose in Him." -Colossians 1:16b

chonsigirl

Is this blasphemy?

Post by chonsigirl »

Action, there is nothing wrong with questioning why things happen. We all do that.

Do I believe in an interactive, personal God? Yes, I do.

I questioned God when things got so very bad in my life last year: why was my husband ill, why will he never get better, why must I work so much to make ends meet? (I had to get 2 extra jobs) Did I receive answer and comfort from God, as the circle of questioning continued? Yes, I did. I learned to give it all to Him, and that it would be all right. I learned to take one day at a time, and it was very difficult to do for me-so methodical I am, planning everything out. I can no longer do that, but must go with the flow. Will it be all right? Yes, I do not worry God will take care of it. Will He do the same for you? I believe He will.
Accountable

Is this blasphemy?

Post by Accountable »

naty2005 wrote: Things do happen for a reason. God wants us to turn to him in bad situations or good. If nothing happens we don't pray. God knows how we are. If everyday is perfect no one will go to him. That's why before Israel went into the promise land God warned them and said beware not to forget about me when they enter the promise land because it was a very fruitfull land. I'm not saying it's his fault bad things happen but he wants us to run to him in prayer and to look to him for strength. As long as were in this earth problems will come. If christ is the lord of your life God will keep your mind and heart in Christ Jesus. THATS A PROMISE.:yh_worshpSo you believe God does bad stuff to us because we might otherwise forget Him?? You believe that's why Stepho's kidneys failed? You really think He's that petulant? Sorry, I don't buy it. If you could prove to me that it's true, I'd have to turn my back on Him.
SOJOURNER

Is this blasphemy?

Post by SOJOURNER »

In a book entitled "A GUIDE TO PRAYER FOR ALL GOD'S PEOPLE"

I found the following which I thought offered another slant on what we have been discussing:

This is one part of the mystery of suffering:

God permits it.

God destroys my harvest.

God rages in the storm.

God leads me to my death.

But precisely in wounding me [God] draws out the best in me.

If I were not wounded--how unbearable I should be in my fiendish security! How sure of myself!

Wounded, I remain calm and learn to weep. Weeping I learn to understand others, I learn the blessedness of poverty.

This is a fact. If human beings had no pain, were never purshed to the limits of endurance, how hard it would be for them to enter the road to salvation!

If the Israelites had enjoyed freedom in Egypt, Moses could never have persuaded them to attempt the march of liberation.

If the desert had been full of beguiling oases instead of snakes, hunger and thirst, they would never have reached the Promised Land.

No spur can move us towards tomorrow more effectively than suffering.

That's why God struck Jacob on the hip.

--from Why, O Lord? by Carlo Carretto
Ted

Is this blasphemy?

Post by Ted »

I cannot agree that God plans or promotes pain in his human or animal family. That is, unfortunately, part of life. He never promised us a rose garden but he promised to be there for us when the going gets rough. I love the poem "Footprints". There are indeed times for me when there is only one set of prints in the sand and they definitely aren't mine.

Shalom

Accountable

Is this blasphemy?

Post by Accountable »

Sojo, I love ya, but I don't accept that. I posted this last July. It capsulizes my opinion on God's role in our suffering.

Accountable wrote: I've always viewed God quite literally as our Father. As kids, we really can't see the whole picture. Think of a toddler trying to walk. the little tike gets up, takes a few steps (or one step :p ) then falls and bumps his butt. It's painful! He cries and holds his little hands up to you to pick him up and make it all better. His tears are heartbreaking, but you let him cry because you know the bigger picture. He soon tries again, and again. Far too soon, he's on the varsity track team thinking about college.

Maybe all this mayhem that is a major pain in our collective asses is really nothing serious at all, given the bigger picture. Maybe it's our job to learn from it, fix it, stand back up and carry on.

To say God actively harms us so that we may love him is to accuse God of the kind of abuse that puts mortals in prison.
nvalleyvee

Is this blasphemy?

Post by nvalleyvee »

Excuuuuse me Steph.........sometimes things go wrong in the body.

I don't know what to say except you have a choice - take it -- your brother gave it to you. ........... Good luck and my good wishes are with you.
The growth of knowledge depends entirely on disagreement..........Karl R. Popper
SOJOURNER

Is this blasphemy?

Post by SOJOURNER »

[QUOTE=Accountable]Sojo, I love ya, but I don't accept that. I posted this last July. It capsulizes my opinion on God's role in our suffering.

To say God actively harms us so that we may love him is to accuse God of the kind of abuse that puts mortals in prison.[/QUOTE]

I did not say he harms us. I did not say he harms us so that we may love him -- that would indeed be really, really sick.

The writing infers that God allows bad things to happen to good people so that they can fullfill God's plan. Read the book of JOB. God allowed 'the devil' to test him -- said he could do anything he wanted to do to him, the only restriction was that he could not kill him.
Accountable

Is this blasphemy?

Post by Accountable »

SOJOURNER wrote: I did not say he harms us. I did not say he harms us so that we may love him -- that would indeed be really, really sick.
I'm glad we agree on that, the quote said otherwise. If I'm misreading, I'm glad.

SOJOURNER wrote: In a book entitled "A GUIDE TO PRAYER FOR ALL GOD'S PEOPLE"

I found the following which I thought offered another slant on what we have been discussing:

This is one part of the mystery of suffering:

God permits it.

God destroys my harvest.

God rages in the storm.

God leads me to my death.

But precisely in wounding me [God] draws out the best in me.

If I were not wounded--how unbearable I should be in my fiendish security! How sure of myself!

Wounded, I remain calm and learn to weep. Weeping I learn to understand others, I learn the blessedness of poverty.

This is a fact. If human beings had no pain, were never purshed to the limits of endurance, how hard it would be for them to enter the road to salvation!

If the Israelites had enjoyed freedom in Egypt, Moses could never have persuaded them to attempt the march of liberation.

If the desert had been full of beguiling oases instead of snakes, hunger and thirst, they would never have reached the Promised Land.

No spur can move us towards tomorrow more effectively than suffering.

That's why God struck Jacob on the hip.

--from Why, O Lord? by Carlo Carretto
SOJOURNER

Is this blasphemy?

Post by SOJOURNER »

In a book entitled "A GUIDE TO PRAYER FOR ALL GOD'S PEOPLE"

Runner4thePrize

Is this blasphemy?

Post by Runner4thePrize »

Very well said, your excerpt from the book. I certainly understand what the girl with the kidney problems must be facing. I just lost my younger brother this past year. He had kidney failure.

None of us can avoid depression to some degree. She is not a hypocrite unless her trial would cause her to denounce her faith in God.
Ted

Is this blasphemy?

Post by Ted »

Runner:-6

Are you saying that God is that "thin skinned" that he would deny someone who in great suffering cries out in anger?With all due respect J B Phillips the Bible translator wrote a book called "Your God is Too Small".

Shalom

Rapunzel

Is this blasphemy?

Post by Rapunzel »

Hi Steph, hope you're feeling a little better since your op!

I don't know if I can help, but I recently came up with a theory which explains things to me, although you may think it's naive or even total crap!

Let me start by telling you that 2005 was absolutely the WORST year of my life!

Firstly, my son broke his leg on the school trampolines. He was 13 and just about to start his teenage 'growth spurt'. The doctor said he has fractured his growth plate and we may find that one leg would grow and one wouldn't! He would then have to have major surgery on his leg, maybe even several ops, to stop the good leg from growing!

Next, my sister told a lie about me 'for fun'. It resulted in my mother calling me a "vindictive bitch" and she hasn't spoken to me since! No-one in my entire family has spoken to me either! It's been 11 months now!

Then I was told I had some cancerous cells which would require one treatment to cure. However the treatment didn't catch them all and I had to go back for more. In March, if its still there, I have to have surgery to remove it. After that I found I was diabetic and will need to take medication for the rest of my life. And injections hurt! :(

Next my daughter fractured her leg in an accident. Although mended, it still aches and she still has the scar. Then some good news, I got pregnant! I have wanted another baby since I miscarried twins 10 years ago. But with such a bad year, I was worried I might lose it....and after 4 months...I did! :-1

Finally, my favourite aunt died! :-1 She was closer to me than my mum and she passed very suddenly. I saw my mum and sister at the funeral. My sis and bil turned their backs to me! And my mother said I was basically a miserable bitch and my bil was going to report me to the police for harassment because I sent my niece a birthday card! Nutter! My son asked why she hadn't called him to ask about his leg, as he had to have several xrays to see if his leg was growing or not. She shrugged and said "I dunno. I couldn't be bothered!" Some grandmother!! :-5

We spent months worrying about my son and whether his leg would grow. Also we had tears from my daughter every night because she was being so badly bullied at school. The school were totally useless and the year head just said "Toughen up!" (She says that to ALL the bullied kids and I now find bullying is rife in the school!) I tried to send her to a different school but that Head said my daughters Head was a friend of hers and she should go back and face up to the bullies! I have finally pulled her out of school and am home-schooling her as she was just so utterly miserable!

Now hubby is off work as he damaged his leg at work. He's due back soon but I don't think he's going to be able to cope.

So it has been a year of worries and upsets. Oh, also I was VERY depressed for the last few months because of losing the baby. And I had no one in my family who even cared enough to talk to me about it.

Sorry, this is a long story!

Anyway, I wondered why we are all here, on this planet? Is it a fluke? We're born, we suffer, we die, generation after generation. Whats the point of our stupid little lives? Then I thought, look at our bodies, they are an amazing miracle. Everything has a purpose. If you get a cold, you breathe through your mouth so you continue to live. If one lung collapses, you still have another. Ditto kidneys. Ditto eyes, hands, arms, etc. Don't know why we don't have 2 hearts though! Lol!

So when you think about it, our bodies are perfect machines and surely something so perfectly designed MUST have a purpose in this life.

So then I thought, okay I have heard that we all have a purpose in this life. What if some people have a really major purpose and some only have a small purpose?

Take for instance, Prince Charles and Princess Diana. Diana did an amazing amount during he Royal life. She touched people, she hugged them. She made us aware of land mines, she showed us that people with Aids can be hugged, she opened our eyes and showed us a loving and caring side of the Royal family who, prior to her arrival, had been a bunch of frigid stiffs! She had a HUGE purpose in life! And Prince Charles married her! That's it! That's his purpose! Just a little thing! But she could never have achieved any of this if she were married to anyone else! So he was in the right position to promote her to her place in the world.

Then I wondered WHY some people have a more important purpose than others?

And WHY some people have so much more ill luck than others?

My son was born with kidney problems and operated on when just 3 days old!

My daughter is a chronic asthmatic who has spent quite a lot of time in hospital and has been on a life support machine, when the doctors told us she probably wouldn't survive! Yet my sister and my best friend both sail gaily through life. Neither of them have had anything bad happen to them, none of their kids have ever been in hospital, everything just seems to fall into their laps! Its frustrating! Not that I want anything bad to happen to them, but I look around and I see so many people around me with so few problems and we seem to have so many things go wrong! That sounds very self-pitying and I don't mean it to. I just wondered WHY?

Then I got to thinking about reincarnation, which I believe in. And I started thinking about the (Indian?) belief that you live (3?) lives on this earth and each life has to be better than the last. When you finally live a perfect life THEN your soul can go to Paradise or the Elysian Fields or wherever you believe your heaven to be.

I also thought that some people say you are an old soul, meaning you have lived on this earth before. Which must mean there are new souls too. And I thought of those maxims people so often say, such as "The good die young" or the funny one about 'Why do the best ones die young when the miserable old bast*rds are here forever?" (I can't remember the exact quote! Sorry!)

So, putting all this together, I thought what if your soul lives a life, just like your human life? But what if your souls life was a thousand years or more, whilst your body's life was perhaps a hundred years?

New souls to this earth will be as babies or children all their lives. Children are loud, brash, argumentative, noisy and many people are like this too. My mother, for instance, argues about everything, has the arrogance to think she is always right when she rarely is and has never truly 'grown up'. Even though she's nearly 70 she has quite a childish and petty attitude. Perhaps such 'new souls', like children, cannot cope with too much hurt and so they lead 'easy' lives without too much pain or aggro. perhaps thats why some people seem to be able to just sail through life.

Then as your soul is reborn into a 2nd or 3rd life, it is a more mature soul. As adults many of us do suffer with pain, either physical or mental or emotional or all three. Maybe those of us who are older souls are given tasks or burdens which can help our souls 'mature'. Through our own pain and suffering we are able to open our hearts to others who hurt and help them in their lives. Maybe people are in our lives for only as long as they need us to help them before they are able to move on. Older souls see through skin colour or religion or other such petty considerations, which hamper the newer souls. Older souls are more giving, kinder, more generous souls. When you meet that rare person who is just SO lovely, SO kind and you think "I wish I were more like them", then surely that person is a much older soul than you. They are more experienced in opening their hearts to the world. They are less likely to reject you for any superficial reason.

Not forgetting that each soul must still fulfill its purpose within each lifetime, in order to grow and continue its spiritual journey.

Then, perhaps after several lifetimes, perhaps after staying at the same level for a few lifetimes until the lesson which is necessary at that stage of the soul's life is learnt, perhaps then we too become old souls. I thought that at this stage there could be little left to learn. Maybe there is just one small thing we have left to do, or to understand, before we finally achieve our paradise. So perhaps, once all lifes lessone are learnt and our soul is in harmony with the universe, perhaps that is when we pass on to our true Paradise. And I wondered, without causing offense to anyone, whether this is why children die? Children shouldn't be allowed to die. But maybe, using this theory, maybe they have achieved the last little thing they needed to achieve before passing into paradise. They have no need to continue to live on. So while we see the desperate tragedy of a childs death, maybe they see it as the end of the souls journey into spiritual enlightenment.

I think its interesting that many of the people on this site are so similar. we all seem to be older souls who can open our hearts to each other and we attract similar souls to this site. We can still kick butt, proving that our souls still have lessons to learn but we all seem to understand where we're all coming from too.

And it doesn't matter how old you are in this life but how far advanced your soul is in ITS life.

I don't know if you think this is mad or even if you bother to read it because its so long winded! I just know that it explains a lot of things to me.

For instance, why do so many families never get along? Some are kind and understanding family members, some are bolshy gits! Yet perhaps this is older souls teaching younger souls the true meaning of life. Maybe your child is an older soul than you and perhaps you learn understanding or forgiveness from them.

This theory works for me. It explains why my mum is so loud and brash for her age. Perhaps, as a new soul, she is just learning how to deal with the world.

I also think Valerie has a point in her 'talking to angels' theory. I was VERY down before Christmas and I asked for angelic help (after all, who would know?) and I firmly believe, when I was at that lowest point, that I felt angel wings around my shoulders! I could even picture, and perhaps felt, the feathers tickling my ankles!

Now you think I'm a total nutcase. Maybe you're right. But I feel much happier since then and haven't felt anywhere near as low since! My theory helped me. Maybe it will help you to understand why we are given suffering at this point to help us grow and to lose the pettiness that we all have as children.

Anyway, I'm off to my nice padded soundproof womb...er...room now!

Nightey night.
michelleevans

Is this blasphemy?

Post by michelleevans »

I can sympithize with you action and i can say this because i have asked alot of people including several pastors and then my brother showed me in the bible that blasphemy is the only sin that is unforgiveable and that is if you actually and truly believe that there is not a God.

What you said is what alot of people say.

But i did learn that when i found out that i had colon/rectal cancer two years ago that the reason the LORD lets us suffer is to build our faith in him.

The LORD will not put no more on you than you can bear. I know sometimes it seems that he is but he doesn't.

I also have 3 children and one of them has been disabled since birth. He has hydrocephlus and cerebral palsy. So when i learned that i had cancer and that it had spread to lymph nodes in the groin area i thought "I will not see my children grow up and have thier own children"

But i put my faith in the LORD and so far so good. It is not easy especially when you are in alot of pain or in the hospital for the hundredth time but when you feel down look in the book of Psalms there is always a passage in there that will help you through what ever you are feeling.

The LORD knows what you are going through and understands when we say things out of the heat of the moment. That is why HE is always willing to forgive us of the many many things we say and do without thinking.

May God Bless you and keep you healthy.
downag

Is this blasphemy?

Post by downag »

The Apostle Paul complained of a "thorn in the flesh" for which, he said he sought the Lord "thrice" (three times).

The answer he got back was, "My grace is sufficient for you".

d:-5
Redhawk

Is this blasphemy?

Post by Redhawk »

actionfigurestepho wrote: I used to consider myself a good little Christian girl, very trusting in the Lord. I was always able to deal with my problems by praying about them. I knew that maybe the problem wouldn't go away but that I would be able to deal with it with greater strength and understanding.

Then my kidneys failed.

People ask me why they failed and my knee jerk response is "because God hates me." Or I'll have some well-meaning person say "Jesus will heal you." And I'll yell "then why did he do this to me!"

My very first post here, I'm called to encourage you.

Hello, my name is Redhawk.

It's strange how we strain against the cross God asks us to bear, I do the same. As if I didn't know He will not give me more than I can handle. But, when it gets so very hard and heavy, and He seems so far away, wondering what He had in mind when He gave it, can and does lead to pointed discussion and accusations about His mental health. We duke it out. He is patient and I eventually allow Him to know better than I do. I surrender. I lean on His shoulder and listen to the beating of His heart, and hear His gentle words...............I love you, Redhawk!

If you cannot bring your anger to Him, to whom then? It is very much so ok to be human. That is NOT blasphemy, it is the natural inclination for a child to approach the Father and lay it at His feet. It's His problem, not yours.

Peace to you,

Redhawk:-6
telaquapacky

Is this blasphemy?

Post by telaquapacky »

Didja hear the one about the farmer who was known to all around as being a praying man? The other farmers ridiculed him. "When are you going to give up your faith?"

Then a swarm of locusts appeared. The locusts devoured the praying farmers' crops. They asked him, "See? Did all your praying help you?"

The farmer replied, "If the Lord wants to graze His own grasshoppers on His own land, that's up to Him."
Look what the cat dragged in.
Redhawk

Is this blasphemy?

Post by Redhawk »

michelleevans wrote: I can sympithize with you action and i can say this because i have asked alot of people including several pastors and then my brother showed me in the bible that blasphemy is the only sin that is unforgiveable and that is if you actually and truly believe that there is not a God.

What you said is what alot of people say.

But i did learn that when i found out that i had colon/rectal cancer two years ago that the reason the LORD lets us suffer is to build our faith in him.

The LORD will not put no more on you than you can bear. I know sometimes it seems that he is but he doesn't.

I also have 3 children and one of them has been disabled since birth. He has hydrocephlus and cerebral palsy. So when i learned that i had cancer and that it had spread to lymph nodes in the groin area i thought "I will not see my children grow up and have thier own children"

But i put my faith in the LORD and so far so good. It is not easy especially when you are in alot of pain or in the hospital for the hundredth time but when you feel down look in the book of Psalms there is always a passage in there that will help you through what ever you are feeling.

The LORD knows what you are going through and understands when we say things out of the heat of the moment. That is why HE is always willing to forgive us of the many many things we say and do without thinking.

May God Bless you and keep you healthy.

You are correct. The blasphemy against the Holy Spirit is the unpardonable sin.

That is, when He pleads with us and we do not listen.

May God bless you real good! I now He will and does. :-6
Accountable

Is this blasphemy?

Post by Accountable »

Sorry, I can't buy it. For God (or anyone else) to heap ill fortune on someone to show how much He loves that person is cruelty. Even for God to "heap" a 12-hour stomach flu on someone flies in the face of free will, imo.

I don't believe God intervenes unless we ask Him to. Excrement happens. That's life. God is our Father and will step in if (1) we ask and (2) He wants to. Bailing a person out is not always helpful, remember.

I'm sure there are many times God would help, if only we would ask, but He has given us free will. That means He has decided to let us make our own decisions. Intervening for good (to reward us) or bad (to persuade us) without our request breaks the free will deal (or whatever you call it).
michelleevans

Is this blasphemy?

Post by michelleevans »

Rapanzel

I am sorry to hear that you had a very rough year. Been through some of them myself.

The only thing that i can say is that

When you think your life it bad or your health is bad just look around you and you will see people and children in worse shape than you and thank the good LORD above that you are as healthy as you are.

I have always thought that but until i went to a cancer center for treatment of my colon/rectal cancer it did not really understand it.

Here i was 32 and they got all of my cancer and then you walk in to get a treatment and see a 20 year old young beautiful man with a cancer that they could not operate on and he is dying then you think "Thank you God for my health" even though i was sick and felt miserable i was going to live through my cancer. He was not.

So just thank the LORD when you feel as if your life sucks because there are people out there that would give anything to be in the shape that you are in.
michelleevans

Is this blasphemy?

Post by michelleevans »

Hey accountable,

Have you ever asked your pastor of your church why christians suffer?

I did and know what my pastor told me?

That God allows christians to suffer to strengthen their faith. Have you ever read Job in the bible?

God allowed him to suffer to show the devil that Job was faithful.

There alot of people who think that just because you are a christian that you will not suffer pain or troubles. You do and sometimes it is to show other non believers that your faith is strong enough to get you through just about anything.

I know people who thought that being a christian meant that you would never have to suffer. That was what their christiananity was based on. Thinking that "well i am a christian so that means that i will not suffer" and then when they did suffer they would curse and everything else and say that i am a christian i am not suppose to suffer.

Society has a real misconception on this

But to each his own i guess but i believe what i read in the bible
Accountable

Is this blasphemy?

Post by Accountable »

I don't think suffering has anything at all with being a Christian - completely irrelevant. I believe God allows life to happen. If he didn't, we wouldn't have free will. I really believe it's as simple as that. We as humans take the hand we're dealt and deal with it - or not; and succeed - or not.
Ted

Is this blasphemy?

Post by Ted »

Acc:-6

Canadian theologian D. Hall would agree with your point on suffering.

I believe it appropriate to ask God to remove a "cup" from us but also to give us the courage and strength to face what lies ahead. He did not promise us an easy life but he did promise us to be with us in all things.

Shalom

michelleevans

Is this blasphemy?

Post by michelleevans »

Good morning all,

I agree with Ted that the LORD said that it would not be easy but he would be with us all the way.

He also said that it would be worth it.

But if we are christians and we suffer here on earth and the LORD said it would be worth it. Can you image what rewards HE has planned for us as long as we keep HIS commandments. Nothing on this earth could compare with what waits us in heaven.

Again i say please read the following BIBLE verses

WHY CAN WE EXPECT SUFFERING?

1. WE LIVE IN A FALLEN WORLD

JOB 5:7, 14:1, 1 CORINTHIANS 10:13

2. WE LIVE IN DISAGREEMENT WITH THE WORLD

A. JOHN 16:33

B. 2 TIMOTHY 3:12

C. MATTHEW 5:10-12

D. JOHN 15:18-19

E. 1 JOHN 3:13

F. GALATIANS 4:29

G. 1 PETER 4:12

3. IT IS GOD'S WILL FOR THE CHRISTIAN

A. 1 PETER 2:21, 3:17, 4:19

B. PHILIPPIANS 1:29

WHY DOES GOD ALLOW US TO SUFFER

A. TO TEST OUR FAITH AND LOVE GENESIS 22:1-2

B. TO HUMBLE US DEUTERONOMY 8:1-3; 2CORINTHIANS 12:7

C. TO STRENGTHEN US 2CORITHIANS 12:7-9

D. TO GROW US JAMES 1:2-4 ; ROMANS 5:3-4

E. TO PREPARE US LUKE 23:31-32; 2 CORINTHIANS 1:4; HEBREWS 2:18

F. TO PURGE US MALACHI 3:2-3; HEBREWS 12:10-11

G. TO TEACH US PSALM 119: 67, 71-72 (OBEDIENCE); HEBREWS 5:7-9

H. TO FOCUS US 2 COR. 4:17-18; ROMANS 8:18; HEBREWS 11:24-27

I. TO BLESS US JAMES 1:12; MATTHEW 5:12

I learned all of this when i was a new christian. we had a class called new believers.

Return to “Christianity”