who wears their seat belts?

lady cop

Post by lady cop »

i was talking to my sister today who had just returned from traffic court (in another state)...she had been cited for not wearing her seat belt. how many here wear their seat belts while in a vehicle? you can tell the truth, i don't have your tag number! :D :driving:
minks

Post by minks »

lady cop wrote: i was talking to my sister today who had just returned from traffic court (in another state)...she had been cited for not wearing her seat belt. how many here wear their seat belts while in a vehicle? you can tell the truth, i don't have your tag number! :D :driving:

Me, my kids, my parents, always have, always will, tis manatory in this province.
�You only live once, but if you do it right, once is enough.�

― Mae West
BabyRider

Post by BabyRider »

I never wear my seat belt. Motorcycles don't come with seat belts. :yh_rotfl
[FONT=Arial Black]I hope you cherish this sweet way of life, and I hope you know that it comes with a price.
~Darrel Worley~
[/FONT]

Bullet's trial was a farce. Can I get an AMEN?????

We won't be punished for our sins, but BY them.

Jives

Post by Jives »

But do you wear a helmet, BR? Please say yes, I'd hate to lose you!

When I was a teenager, I drove a bright-yellow 1969 Camaro. I got in the habit of buckling up just because I drove so damn fast. Later, in college, as I was learning to fly, I always buckled up in the aircraft.

That habit saved my life when a guy pulled into the turning lane, signaled to turn left, then TURNED RIGHT! He totaled my car. He suffered multiple fractures and lacerations, but I walked away without a scratch. Since then, I've been in seven wrecks, and never got hurt one bit.

I can't even back my car out of the driveway without buckling up, I feel too weird...as if I'm about to die or someone's stepping on my grave.

What's the matter with your sister LC? Doesn't she like living?!:(
All the world's a stage and the men and women merely players...Shakespeare
valerie

Post by valerie »

Always, always, ALWAYS! In fact, I long ago got in the habit of putting

mine on before I even turn the key. I even get a little creeped out if

I back the truck out of the garage to wash it and don't put the belt on,

something just doesn't feel right!!

:-6
Tamsen's Dogster Page

http://www.dogster.com/?27525

robinseggs

Post by robinseggs »

A classmate in high school was killed instantly in an accident and we were all pretty shook up. After that I vowed to always wear my belt. There have been times I didn't want to and then I thought of her. In college I was in a really bad accident and was told if I had not had my seatbelt on I might not have lived. The seatbelt actually left bruises across my chest and across my lap where the straps had been. I often think of the girl from high school and how all these years later she is still saving lives....(me, my family, my kids....)!
Nature laughs Last
robinseggs

Post by robinseggs »

Jives wrote: But do you wear a helmet, BR? Please say yes, I'd hate to lose you!

When I was a teenager, I drove a bright-yellow 1969 Camaro. I got in the habit of buckling up just because I drove so damn fast. Later, in college, as I was learning to fly, I always buckled up in the aircraft.

That habit saved my life when a guy pulled into the turning lane, signaled to turn left, then TURNED RIGHT! He totaled my car. He suffered multiple fractures and lacerations, but I walked away without a scratch. Since then, I've been in seven wrecks, and never got hurt one bit.

I can't even back my car out of the driveway without buckling up, I feel too weird...as if I'm about to die or someone's stepping on my grave.

What's the matter with your sister LC? Doesn't she like living?!:(

SEVEN times??????!!! OMG!! LOL....that sucks. Do you drive really fast or were they someone elses fault???
Nature laughs Last
minks

Post by minks »

robinseggs wrote: A classmate in high school was killed instantly in an accident and we were all pretty shook up. After that I vowed to always wear my belt. There have been times I didn't want to and then I thought of her. In college I was in a really bad accident and was told if I had not had my seatbelt on I might not have lived. The seatbelt actually left bruises across my chest and across my lap where the straps had been. I often think of the girl from high school and how all these years later she is still saving lives....(me, my family, my kids....)!

It has been mandatory here for over 20 years now, and after 3 car wrecks myself I am happy to report I was glad for the law. First accident was while pregnant too so really that was 2 lives saved.
�You only live once, but if you do it right, once is enough.�

― Mae West
kclan5

Post by kclan5 »

lady cop wrote: i was talking to my sister today who had just returned from traffic court (in another state)...she had been cited for not wearing her seat belt. how many here wear their seat belts while in a vehicle? you can tell the truth, i don't have your tag number! :D :driving:

My car doesn't move without everyone in it buckled up. No close calls, just common sense. However, three years ago my daughter was driving in very heavy rain and there was a multiple car accident in front of her. She braked and hydroplaned right UNDER a huge commercial tow truck. The rear deck of the truck rolled the hood right up and through the windshield stopping a few inches from her face. Thank goodness she was buckled or she would likely have been decapitated. As it was, the police couldn't believe she lived through it. After seeing her car, a number of her friends as well as my son's now buckle up. It's too bad it takes a preview for folks to smarten up.
LottomagicZ4941

Post by LottomagicZ4941 »

Wear my seat belt most of the time. Not as good as when I had the grand am and it was done automatically. Usually about half way out of the neborhood before I get the seat belt in proper position. In proper position probably more gramarically correct then ending sentance with a preposition. May be a bad speller but actually know a few gramarical issues.

Colorado just upgraded the seatbelt laws. Perhpas it wasn't even actually a law before. Wearing a seat belt was my mom's law long before it became state law.

Lotto

"Voted libertarian in last election"

MagicZ4941A

PS even as a libertarian I can justify seat belt laws in that not wearing them affects our insurance rates.
Jives

Post by Jives »

robinseggs wrote: SEVEN times??????!!! OMG!! LOL....that sucks. Do you drive really fast or were they someone elses fault???

Nope they were all my fault. But I never wrecked into other cars, just mountains, gaurdrails, cliffs, boulders, gaswell headers, garage doors, etc. etc.

Let's just say that in New Mexico in the 70's the drinking age was "if you could pronounce the name of a beer at the drive-up liquor window, and were behind the wheel of a car, they sold it to you", and leave it at that.:o

On the bright side, I got very good at bodywork.
mominiowa

Post by mominiowa »

MY son will be six on Sept. 5th and guess what? He is still in a car seat - Everyone has to wear their belt in my car..My hubby on the other hand when he is in his car he does not...It is the law here too and someday I hope he gets caught..But if he was in my van and didn't have it on- the driver gets a ticket too- So he HAS to BUCKLE up...My kids say this everytime we get into the van...

"Buckle up Buttercup, we're goin racin" HA HA - to many accidents in our family not to have them on...

~~The Family~~

Happiness is knowing where you come from...

Who you are...

And why you are here.....
Jives

Post by Jives »

mominiowa wrote: My hubby on the other hand when he is in his car he does not

ACK!!! Is it some kind of macho "I'm a MAN and therefore invunerable to steel and glass" thingy?:D

Or does he have a death wish?!!:(
mominiowa

Post by mominiowa »

JIVES! can you spell........

FOOL!

I knew you could - your a teacher! :-6

His parents don't either - see everybody-- your kids learn from you...:-5

~~The Family~~

Happiness is knowing where you come from...

Who you are...

And why you are here.....
Accountable

Post by Accountable »

Using a seatbelt's a habit from years of driving gov't vehicles. It's the law! I had a '90 Plymouth Laser with those automatic tracked belts. Almost got me out of the habit. I'll never get one of those again!

Nevertheless, the law is wrong. Laws protecting an indivdual against himself should be unconstitutional. You don't want to wear a belt? It should be your call.
SweetDarlin

Post by SweetDarlin »

Always. It became a habit when I had my first child. 21 years ago.
[FONT=Georgia]

[/FONT]
Jives

Post by Jives »

Accountable wrote: You don't want to wear a belt? It should be your call.

It's a nice thought, but personally, I don't want to be picking up the hospital bill for that guy, after he's injured and doesn't have insurance.
Jives

Post by Jives »

mominiowa wrote: JIVES! can you spell........I knew you could - your a teacher! His parents don't either - see everybody-- your kids learn from you...

Huh? What devil is this about?:-2 Oh, and that should be "you're" a teacher.
Bez

Post by Bez »

I ALWAYS wear my seat belt and make sure all passengers do as well. I don't fancy having a face like a pizza !

Umm...I have been done for speeding though....twice in 2 years at the age of 57....

:driving:

Bez
A smile is a window on your face to show your heart is home
Accountable

Post by Accountable »

Jives wrote: It's a nice thought, but personally, I don't want to be picking up the hospital bill for that guy, after he's injured and doesn't have insurance.
A pittance added to the homeless, jobless, getoffyourassless, and illegal aliens. I also don't want to legislate fat, smoking, or other fun stuff.

We were given certain rights by God, among them life, liberty, and the freedom to be stupid!
lady cop

Post by lady cop »

there's an expression among our state troopers ("AAA of the highway" :D )...they never ( rarely) have to pull a dead body out of a seatbelt. nice to see FG people use theirs! here's another thing that makes me ABSOLUTELY LIVID---yahoos with little kids in the open beds of their pickup trucks!! what is wrong with these people???
telaquapacky

Post by telaquapacky »

lady cop wrote: there's an expression among our state troopers ("AAA of the highway" :D )...they never (rarely) have to pull a dead body out of a seatbelt...That's why I never roll without a belt on me and any passengers.
Look what the cat dragged in.
chonsigirl

Post by chonsigirl »

Always wear mine, my kids do too. I remember when seat belts came out-no, not real belts to hold up my cavegirl outfit-and my father putting them in right away and we always wore them. Save thousands of lives all the time!
along-for-the-ride

Post by along-for-the-ride »

I do--everytime. That's one of my good habits.;) I don't feel comfortable until I have my seatbelt on and buckled.
Life is a Highway. Let's share the Commute.
KritterLover

Post by KritterLover »

"Click it or get a ticket" is Pennsylvania's motto. Yep, wear mine. Don't think it would be too cool to be stopped by the law when we maintain their fleet of vehicles.
It's hard to keep a straight face....

around here!
Betty Boop

Post by Betty Boop »

It's the law here, the kids always moan about it but the car goes nowhere until everyone is strapped in.
Lon

Post by Lon »

It's the law here in California as well as in New Zealand. I even wear a bed belt to protect myself in case of a earthquake.
Betty Boop

Post by Betty Boop »

Lon wrote: It's the law here in California as well as in New Zealand. I even wear a bed belt to protect myself in case of a earthquake.

mmmm I could do with two of those to keep my kids IN bed at bedtime!!!:wah:
Jives

Post by Jives »

WHAAATT?!!! Tombsgirl! We don't want to lose you!

You know, it's knid of interesting that society has undergone such a change for the better concerning seatbelts. In the 1970's, most of my friends laughed at me for buckling up (until they rode with me and saw the way I drive that is) and it was typical for the newspaper to run an article at least once a year detailing a wreck where teenagers had been piled into the back of a pickup and had been thrown out.

Then nobody buckled up, now everyone does it. That bodes well for things like drunk driving and smoking. They, too, may pass from the public's collective behavior.:o
Wolverine

Post by Wolverine »

i don't know why, but for some reason when i am in the passenger seat i don't wear it. But if i'm driving i do and anyone who rides with me has to buckle up

Get your mind out of the gutter - it's blocking my view

Mind like a steel trap - Rusty and Illegal in 37 states.

Wolverine

Post by Wolverine »

Jives wrote: WHAAATT?!!! Tombsgirl! We don't want to lose you!

You know, it's knid of interesting that society has undergone such a change for the better concerning seatbelts. In the 1970's, most of my friends laughed at me for buckling up (until they rode with me and saw the way I drive that is) and it was typical for the newspaper to run an article at least once a year detailing a wreck where teenagers had been piled into the back of a pickup and had been thrown out.

Then nobody buckled up, now everyone does it. That bodes well for things like drunk driving and smoking. They, too, may pass from the public's collective behavior.:o

well smoking is already on it's way out.

by the time my kids(should i have any) are parents i don't think too many people will be smoking. I think my generation could very well be it

Get your mind out of the gutter - it's blocking my view

Mind like a steel trap - Rusty and Illegal in 37 states.

Accountable

Post by Accountable »

Wolverine wrote: well smoking is already on it's way out.

by the time my kids(should i have any) are parents i don't think too many people will be smoking. I think my generation could very well be it
*Hmph* That's what they said about tatoos and miniskirts. Coming soon: Polyester Leisure Suits! :wah:
actionfigurestepho

Post by actionfigurestepho »

I refuse to drive if my passengers are not belted in. My car's a death trap as it is.
gmc

Post by gmc »

Been compulsory here since the seventies-used always to use them before anyway. In this country if you have an accident and are`not wearing a seat belt the insurance payout for injuries received will be reduced or even not paid-contributory stupidity.

I even strap the dog in.

Return to “Societal Issues News”