Religion Pass or Fail Part 2

A forum created specifically for polls.
koan

Post by koan »

In the first poll, religion was voted down as having made the world a better place. In trying to figure out the next question in the "religion series" I decided on:

What part of religion generates its poor image?

You may vote on more than one answer in this poll.
theia

Post by theia »

I think one of the main reasons religion fails is because it can lose the very essence of the original teaching, and to me that means that the mystical aspects are often buried. Maybe this is because religion has to be a very individual process. I think it's a shame when people argue about the literal interpretations of religious writing and miss what could be the "diamonds" within the teaching.
Live the questions now. Perhaps you will then gradually, without noticing it, live along some distant day into the answers...Rainer Maria Rilke
Adam Zapple

Post by Adam Zapple »

There seem to be two seperate questions. For the question in the poll, I voted when they become large organizations. I think churches are far more effective at the neighborhood level. The small church may not be able to have a visible far reaching impact, but it is at the individual human level that religion can make a positive impact.

For the question regarding how religion gets a poor image, I think it is more interesting to focus on scandals and weirdos than on the pastor and church members that serve their communities outside of the limelight.
koan

Post by koan »

theia,

I almost put "interpretation problems" as an option. It should have been in there.

adam,

this is part 2 poll so it helps to focus the question if you voted or think of how you would have voted on part 1. It is a complicated issue so it can branch off in a number of ways. each thread will hopefully add to possibilities for the next question.
Lulu2

Post by Lulu2 »

Your first question (as I recall it, anyway) was along the lines of "Do you think religion has been a positive or negative force for society?"

I voted negative, for all the reasons I stated.

That's not the same as a "failure." Obviously, for some people, it's a success. The Catholic church, for example, is still among the richest businesses in the world. Is that "success" or "failure?"
My candle's burning at both ends, it will not last the night. But ah, my foes, and oh, my friends--It gives a lovely light!--Edna St. Vincent Millay
koan

Post by koan »

Lulu2 wrote: Your first question (as I recall it, anyway) was along the lines of "Do you think religion has been a positive or negative force for society?"

I voted negative, for all the reasons I stated.

That's not the same as a "failure." Obviously, for some people, it's a success. The Catholic church, for example, is still among the richest businesses in the world. Is that "success" or "failure?"

Right.

The quest is to select the reason (or type in a list fashion) what reasons religion failed to get a positive response on the first poll. I voted in part 1 that I thought it brought more benefit to the world. Now I have to pick reasons why I think it failed in Poll 1. It is easier for people who voted against it in part 1 to answer part 2, imo.
laneybug

Post by laneybug »

Two of my votes were.... the idea of elitism among followers, and ideas of good and evil.

I don't believe anyone is bad or good based on their beliefs, and to have religions stating that their followers are "better", in a sense, than all other followers of another religion seems ignorant and defeats the purpose of a spiritual life.

The ideas of good and evil, especially in Christianity, is often a way to control the masses, instead of allowing the individual to decide for themselves what they believe is right and wrong for themselves.

Which brings me to something else, which I wish had been an option in this poll. The loss of individualism in religion. Personal choice and personal opinion seem to have a major backseat, or is non-existent, in a lot of religions. Having your own mind and actively questioning the belief system of the religion you've chosen (which I think is healthy) is looked down upon. I think that is a huge problem.
It is better to have your mind opened by wonder

than closed by belief.

Return to “Polls, Polls, and more Polls”