A Historic Day for the US

Discuss Presidential or Prime Minister elections for all countries here.
User avatar
Bez
Posts: 8942
Joined: Mon Aug 01, 2005 5:37 am

A Historic Day for the US

Post by Bez »

I just wanted to wish everyone in the US 'best wishes' on this historic day. Maybe the world will change for the better from this day......it needs to and I am ever hopeful.....:yh_star
A smile is a window on your face to show your heart is home
User avatar
Carolly
Posts: 23338
Joined: Tue Feb 06, 2007 3:10 pm

A Historic Day for the US

Post by Carolly »

Im watching about it now on the tele Bez and like you I wish all the very best for my Friends over the pond on this Historic Day.;)
Women are bitchy and predictable ...men are not and that's the key to knowing the truth.
User avatar
Bez
Posts: 8942
Joined: Mon Aug 01, 2005 5:37 am

A Historic Day for the US

Post by Bez »

Carolly;1113980 wrote: Im watching about it now on the tele Bez and like you I wish all the very best for my Friends over the pond on this Historic Day.;)


I'm off to sort out my mortgage in a minute, but when I'm back I'll be 'glued' to the TV.



Can't wait for Obamas speech . He's bound to make loads of promises and we should be cautious about his ablility to fulfill everything....I'm SO hopeful though.



I'd be interested to know if any of our friends here will actually be attending the Inauguration....I know there'll be loads of Brits there.
A smile is a window on your face to show your heart is home
User avatar
Carolly
Posts: 23338
Joined: Tue Feb 06, 2007 3:10 pm

A Historic Day for the US

Post by Carolly »

Bez;1113984 wrote: I'm off to sort out my mortgage in a minute, but when I'm back I'll be 'glued' to the TV.



Can't wait for Obamas speech . He's bound to make loads of promises and we should be cautious about his ablility to fulfill everything....I'm SO hopeful though.



I'd be interested to know if any of our friends here will actually be attending the Inauguration....I know there'll be loads of Brits there.Like the old saying goes Bez......time will tell ;):D
Women are bitchy and predictable ...men are not and that's the key to knowing the truth.
User avatar
Bez
Posts: 8942
Joined: Mon Aug 01, 2005 5:37 am

A Historic Day for the US

Post by Bez »

Carolly;1113987 wrote: Like the old saying goes Bez......time will tell ;):D


Yes you're right.....I'm a pensioner so he hasn't got long.....:D
A smile is a window on your face to show your heart is home
User avatar
Carolly
Posts: 23338
Joined: Tue Feb 06, 2007 3:10 pm

A Historic Day for the US

Post by Carolly »

Bez;1113990 wrote: Yes you're right.....I'm a pensioner so he hasn't got long.....:D:yh_rotfl:yh_rotfl:yh_rotflBless;)
Women are bitchy and predictable ...men are not and that's the key to knowing the truth.
User avatar
Galbally
Posts: 9755
Joined: Tue Oct 25, 2005 5:26 pm

A Historic Day for the US

Post by Galbally »

Yes its a proud day for all Americans, and a good day for everyone across the world who believes in the ideals of Democracy and Freedom. Mr Obama cannot be all things to all men, and he can't solve the world's problems, but he can make things better than they were, thats the job of leaders. Lets hope he can achieve something against this tide of problems we are all encoutering, no pressure Barak or anything then. :wah:



But yes, today is the start of a new era for America, hopefully the best of what America can be will emerge again, I believe it will, and thats a good thing in my opinion. :yh_flag:yh_flag:yh_flag
"We are never so happy, never so unhappy, as we imagine"



Le Rochefoucauld.



"A smack in the face settles all arguments, then you can move on kid."



My dad 1986.
mikeinie
Posts: 3130
Joined: Sat Jun 16, 2007 3:43 am

A Historic Day for the US

Post by mikeinie »

:yh_dance:yh_party

Enjoy the party America
User avatar
Raven
Posts: 4069
Joined: Sat Feb 05, 2005 5:21 am

A Historic Day for the US

Post by Raven »

mikeinie;1114000 wrote: :yh_dance:yh_party



Enjoy the party America
America can be a fickle Lady, but I can assure you, today she proves once again that anything is possible. LOL! If you look up in the sky, maybe you'll see a flock of pigs. And hell is frozen for sure! YAAAY!!
~Quoth the Raven, Nevermore!~
User avatar
Kindle
Posts: 7090
Joined: Mon Nov 03, 2008 5:07 pm

A Historic Day for the US

Post by Kindle »

How wonderful to read all your well wishes............... Tt truely is a historic day in our country. His election as President of the US shows the world that it is true: Anything is possible in America! We are a nation of many diversities, but WE ARE ONE.




"Out, damned spot! out, I say!"

- William Shakespeare, Macbeth, 5.1
User avatar
Raven
Posts: 4069
Joined: Sat Feb 05, 2005 5:21 am

A Historic Day for the US

Post by Raven »

Kindle;1114020 wrote: How wonderful to read all your well wishes............... Tt truely is a historic day in our country. His election as President of the US shows the world that it is true: Anything is possible in America! We are a nation of many diversities, but WE ARE ONE.


Yep! Love the pick of Liberty! Nothing like a French harbour chick being the face of America! :yh_rotfl
~Quoth the Raven, Nevermore!~
User avatar
Kindle
Posts: 7090
Joined: Mon Nov 03, 2008 5:07 pm

A Historic Day for the US

Post by Kindle »

Raven;1114028 wrote: Yep! Love the pick of Liberty! Nothing like a French harbour chick being the face of America! :yh_rotfl


It's part of our inclusiveness.




"Out, damned spot! out, I say!"

- William Shakespeare, Macbeth, 5.1
User avatar
Raven
Posts: 4069
Joined: Sat Feb 05, 2005 5:21 am

A Historic Day for the US

Post by Raven »

Kindle;1114050 wrote: It's part of our inclusiveness.
I know. I'm American. I just love the irony and the symbolism of her. She is mine too.:-6
~Quoth the Raven, Nevermore!~
User avatar
Kindle
Posts: 7090
Joined: Mon Nov 03, 2008 5:07 pm

A Historic Day for the US

Post by Kindle »

Raven;1114054 wrote: I know. I'm American. I just love the irony and the symbolism of her. She is mine too.:-6


Ah.................... I see. I was wondering about your wording, but your flag of origin was not US.




"Out, damned spot! out, I say!"

- William Shakespeare, Macbeth, 5.1
User avatar
Raven
Posts: 4069
Joined: Sat Feb 05, 2005 5:21 am

A Historic Day for the US

Post by Raven »

Nope. Been living in 'ol blighty for over 5 years now. But make no mistake, I was born in Fort Hood Texas.
~Quoth the Raven, Nevermore!~
User avatar
Kindle
Posts: 7090
Joined: Mon Nov 03, 2008 5:07 pm

A Historic Day for the US

Post by Kindle »

Raven;1114104 wrote: Nope. Been living in 'ol blighty for over 5 years now. But make no mistake, I was born in Fort Hood Texas.


What brought about the move?




"Out, damned spot! out, I say!"

- William Shakespeare, Macbeth, 5.1
User avatar
Raven
Posts: 4069
Joined: Sat Feb 05, 2005 5:21 am

A Historic Day for the US

Post by Raven »

My husband. I married a Brit. I have no plans to move back to the U.S. but my whole family is there.
~Quoth the Raven, Nevermore!~
User avatar
BTS
Posts: 3202
Joined: Mon Mar 21, 2005 10:47 am

A Historic Day for the US

Post by BTS »

jimbo;1113979 wrote: yes bez a new era where america is once again the country holding the torch for all the free world to follow



here is to a new begining


Thanks Bez and everyone.





jimbo:

Why should we always be the one holding the torch amd getting nipped in the heels?



No jimbo, you carry the torch this tyme, we're tired and need to get our ship back in shape.......... but thanks anyway.

We'll be nipping at your heels all the way
"If America Was A Tree, The Left Would Root For The Termites...Greg Gutfeld."
Clodhopper
Posts: 5115
Joined: Mon Feb 25, 2008 5:11 pm

A Historic Day for the US

Post by Clodhopper »

...just adding my best wishes for America and all who sail in her. It's a great day!

BTS: No - we handed the torch to you about 100 years ago. If you want rid of it you've probably got to give it to the Chinese... I think I'd rather you kept hold of it a while longer...

Besides, we've got the Olympic torch. Two would be greedy.
The crowd: "Yes! We are all individuals!"

Lone voice: "I'm not."
User avatar
sunny104
Posts: 11986
Joined: Wed Jan 18, 2006 9:25 am

A Historic Day for the US

Post by sunny104 »

I'm more scared than excited but whatever, we'll see how it goes. :thinking:
User avatar
Raven
Posts: 4069
Joined: Sat Feb 05, 2005 5:21 am

A Historic Day for the US

Post by Raven »

sunny104;1114165 wrote: I'm more scared than excited but whatever, we'll see how it goes. :thinking:
Unless he is the antiChrist, then there is no worries.
~Quoth the Raven, Nevermore!~
Clodhopper
Posts: 5115
Joined: Mon Feb 25, 2008 5:11 pm

A Historic Day for the US

Post by Clodhopper »

Sunny: Why are you more scared than excited?

(Please excuse my ignorant Britishness...)
The crowd: "Yes! We are all individuals!"

Lone voice: "I'm not."
User avatar
flopstock
Posts: 7406
Joined: Sat Dec 29, 2007 2:52 am

A Historic Day for the US

Post by flopstock »

He needs to hit the ground running with ideas and initiatives.



He needs to keep harping on folks to take an active personal role in pulling ourselves up.



He needs to be just as inclusive of the conservatives among us as the liberals.



He needs to be honest with us.



He needs to make us believe in ourselves, our capabilities, our desires and our dreams..



I hope he CAN. :-6
I expressly forbid the use of any of my posts anywhere outside of FG (with the exception of the incredibly witty 'get a room already' )posted recently.

Folks who'd like to copy my intellectual work should expect to pay me for it.:-6

wildhorses
Posts: 648
Joined: Sun Oct 12, 2008 7:08 pm

A Historic Day for the US

Post by wildhorses »

sunny104;1114165 wrote: I'm more scared than excited but whatever, we'll see how it goes. :thinking:


I hear ya. I am also concerned. Obama is only human and we are in deep chit right now. This election is a turn in the right direction, but there are lots of rocks in the road ahead. Hopefully Obama can make enough repairs to the foundation of our country, so that we at least have something to work with.
wildhorses
Posts: 648
Joined: Sun Oct 12, 2008 7:08 pm

A Historic Day for the US

Post by wildhorses »

I hope the future holds a ray of light

:yh_party

:yh_flag:yh_flag:yh_flag:yh_flag:yh_flag:yh_flag
User avatar
Raven
Posts: 4069
Joined: Sat Feb 05, 2005 5:21 am

A Historic Day for the US

Post by Raven »

Well there it is. History HAS been made. Everybody remember where they are? Pigs are now flying and Hell just froze over. I'm sure there are a few dead bodies as well.:yh_rotfl
~Quoth the Raven, Nevermore!~
mikeinie
Posts: 3130
Joined: Sat Jun 16, 2007 3:43 am

A Historic Day for the US

Post by mikeinie »

flopstock;1114214 wrote: He needs to hit the ground running with ideas and initiatives.



He needs to keep harping on folks to take an active personal role in pulling ourselves up.



He needs to be just as inclusive of the conservatives among us as the liberals.



He needs to be honest with us.



He needs to make us believe in ourselves, our capabilities, our desires and our dreams..



I hope he CAN. :-6


He needs to surround himself with the best people, he needs not to be a puppet to the oil companies and war machines, he needs to lead with integrity and do what is right and not what is ‘in line with party politics’.

He looks like the right guy for the job.
User avatar
flopstock
Posts: 7406
Joined: Sat Dec 29, 2007 2:52 am

A Historic Day for the US

Post by flopstock »

mikeinie;1114291 wrote: He needs to surround himself with the best people, he needs not to be a puppet to the oil companies and war machines, he needs to lead with integrity and do what is right and not what is ‘in line with party politics’.



He looks like the right guy for the job.


He may turn out to be genuine.. even conservatives on the talk shows are saying that he appears to be truly reaching across the differences and trying for common ground... not just playing lip service to the notion..:-6
I expressly forbid the use of any of my posts anywhere outside of FG (with the exception of the incredibly witty 'get a room already' )posted recently.

Folks who'd like to copy my intellectual work should expect to pay me for it.:-6

User avatar
Kindle
Posts: 7090
Joined: Mon Nov 03, 2008 5:07 pm

A Historic Day for the US

Post by Kindle »

flopstock;1114309 wrote: He may turn out to be genuine.. even conservatives on the talk shows are saying that he appears to be truly reaching across the differences and trying for common ground... not just playing lip service to the notion..:-6


I truely hope so.




"Out, damned spot! out, I say!"

- William Shakespeare, Macbeth, 5.1
qsducks
Posts: 29018
Joined: Fri Feb 15, 2008 7:14 am

A Historic Day for the US

Post by qsducks »

Bez;1113977 wrote: I just wanted to wish everyone in the US 'best wishes' on this historic day. Maybe the world will change for the better from this day......it needs to and I am ever hopeful.....:yh_star


I hope so too. We look like bafoons over here in the US. It was extremely exciting to watch the change on tv. I'm so proud that I voted Obama!:)
User avatar
AussiePam
Posts: 9898
Joined: Wed Jan 18, 2006 8:57 pm

A Historic Day for the US

Post by AussiePam »

Congratulations America on your very fine new President!!!!!!!!
"Life is too short to ski with ugly men"

qsducks
Posts: 29018
Joined: Fri Feb 15, 2008 7:14 am

A Historic Day for the US

Post by qsducks »

AussiePam;1114406 wrote: Congratulations America on your very fine new President!!!!!!!!


Thank you Pam. Yes, it is extremely exciting. Finally I'm glad American's of all nationalities, races, etc. came together and voted for a real person. He's electrifying. After 8 years of GW it is so refreshing to have someone who connects with real people. I voted for Clinton twice and that was exciting, but this election was even more exciting and has shown IMO the world and even our own nation, that yes finally, we have elected an African American to be our prez.:-4. The electorate is juiced here:)
User avatar
Bryn Mawr
Posts: 15898
Joined: Mon Feb 27, 2006 4:54 pm

A Historic Day for the US

Post by Bryn Mawr »

May he be the right man, in the right place, at the right time and may the US thrive under his leadership.

You've just taken a huge step and more power to you for it :-6
User avatar
AussiePam
Posts: 9898
Joined: Wed Jan 18, 2006 8:57 pm

A Historic Day for the US

Post by AussiePam »

qsducks;1114414 wrote: Thank you Pam. Yes, it is extremely exciting. Finally I'm glad American's of all nationalities, races, etc. came together and voted for a real person. He's electrifying. After 8 years of GW it is so refreshing to have someone who connects with real people. I voted for Clinton twice and that was exciting, but this election was even more exciting and has shown IMO the world and even our own nation, that yes finally, we have elected an African American to be our prez.:-4. The electorate is juiced here:)


And Duckie, it is sooooo good to hear at least one American in FG expressing joy!!! Mr Obama is both black and white, has ties to Asia, Africa, the Pacific. Who better to represent a huge, diverse country. He is strong and he is intelligent. I think we can all be cautiously hopeful !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
"Life is too short to ski with ugly men"

User avatar
Oscar Namechange
Posts: 31842
Joined: Wed Jul 30, 2008 9:26 am

A Historic Day for the US

Post by Oscar Namechange »

Congratulations America.

YouTube - Stranglers I Hate You!

I've just been talking to some kids who have been watching TV. They think Obama is being crowned King of America, bless them.
At the going down of the sun and in the morning, we will remember them. R.L. Binyon
qsducks
Posts: 29018
Joined: Fri Feb 15, 2008 7:14 am

A Historic Day for the US

Post by qsducks »

AussiePam;1114424 wrote: And Duckie, it is sooooo good to hear at least one American in FG expressing joy!!! Mr Obama is both black and white, has ties to Asia, Africa, the Pacific. Who better to represent a huge, diverse country. He is strong and he is intelligent. I think we can all be cautiously hopeful !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!


We are so excited about Obama! I know I am and my daughter who voted for the first time! Claire my neice who is currently residing in your country voted absentee ballot and I know she voted for ykw:). It is really refreshing also to see that congress is finally in Democratic hands for a change. I just hope they all do the right thing and pass intelligent laws, etc. instead of the dumb things Bush wanted.
User avatar
chonsigirl
Posts: 33631
Joined: Mon Mar 07, 2005 8:28 am

A Historic Day for the US

Post by chonsigirl »

It was a nice inaguration, we got the Capitol feed in the classroom to watch. The students were pretty serious about watching it-and they stood when Obama took the oath. They are waiting for the parade last I looked, a nice big crowd down there-loads came down from Baltimore and filled the metro trains.
User avatar
Bryn Mawr
Posts: 15898
Joined: Mon Feb 27, 2006 4:54 pm

A Historic Day for the US

Post by Bryn Mawr »

chonsigirl;1114516 wrote: It was a nice inaguration, we got the Capitol feed in the classroom to watch. The students were pretty serious about watching it-and they stood when Obama took the oath. They are waiting for the parade last I looked, a nice big crowd down there-loads came down from Baltimore and filled the metro trains.


Having watched some of it, it must have been so exciting for your pupils - you sure know how to put on a show over there and they'll be hooked on politics for life :-)

It was good to see him out of the car and engaging with the crowds - shows respect for the people and was really appreciated by them.
User avatar
along-for-the-ride
Posts: 11732
Joined: Wed Mar 02, 2005 4:28 pm

A Historic Day for the US

Post by along-for-the-ride »

Thank you for all the good wishes!:)

I feel pride. I feel hope. Did you see all those folks there in DC on the television broadcast? Amazing!

I want to get the "show on the road". If we have hard times coming for awhile, bring 'em on. We've got to know what we have to deal with and go from there.
Life is a Highway. Let's share the Commute.
Bruv
Posts: 12181
Joined: Sat Aug 18, 2007 3:05 pm

A Historic Day for the US

Post by Bruv »

Echoes of the Kennedy years ?

Wish him and America well, because it reflects on the rest of the world.

I wonder what Jester's thinking ?
I thought I knew more than this until I opened my mouth
User avatar
Bryn Mawr
Posts: 15898
Joined: Mon Feb 27, 2006 4:54 pm

A Historic Day for the US

Post by Bryn Mawr »

Bruv;1114575 wrote: Echoes of the Kennedy years ?

Wish him and America well, because it reflects on the rest of the world.

I wonder what Jester's thinking ?


Difficult to tell - he's retired :-(
User avatar
Oscar Namechange
Posts: 31842
Joined: Wed Jul 30, 2008 9:26 am

A Historic Day for the US

Post by Oscar Namechange »

Bruv;1114575 wrote: Echoes of the Kennedy years ?

Wish him and America well, because it reflects on the rest of the world.

I wonder what Jester's thinking ? Check the bottom of the posts to see who is watching which thread. That will tell you :sneaky::sneaky:
At the going down of the sun and in the morning, we will remember them. R.L. Binyon
User avatar
Chezzie
Posts: 14615
Joined: Sun Nov 11, 2007 9:41 am

A Historic Day for the US

Post by Chezzie »

Congratulations for America and the American people..

I am wishing for good times ahead for us all...

My kids watched the speech and were in awe, they know who he is and why he has made history today....

Best wishes to you all my friends:-4
User avatar
Odie
Posts: 33482
Joined: Mon Jul 21, 2008 9:10 pm

A Historic Day for the US

Post by Odie »

congratulations to my neighbors!



awesome to have seen this today, it was just stunning!

His speech did us all proud!
Life is just to short for drama.
User avatar
Oscar Namechange
Posts: 31842
Joined: Wed Jul 30, 2008 9:26 am

A Historic Day for the US

Post by Oscar Namechange »

I didn't watch it. There was a far more interesting documentary on JFK on another channel.
At the going down of the sun and in the morning, we will remember them. R.L. Binyon
User avatar
Bryn Mawr
Posts: 15898
Joined: Mon Feb 27, 2006 4:54 pm

A Historic Day for the US

Post by Bryn Mawr »

oscar;1114679 wrote: I didn't watch it. There was a far more interesting documentary on JFK on another channel.


One is history and can be studied at any time, the other is history in the making and needs to be seen as it happens.
User avatar
Odie
Posts: 33482
Joined: Mon Jul 21, 2008 9:10 pm

A Historic Day for the US

Post by Odie »

Bryn Mawr;1114682 wrote: One is history and can be studied at any time, the other is history in the making and needs to be seen as it happens.


bravo!:guitarist
Life is just to short for drama.
User avatar
Oscar Namechange
Posts: 31842
Joined: Wed Jul 30, 2008 9:26 am

A Historic Day for the US

Post by Oscar Namechange »

Bryn Mawr;1114682 wrote: One is history and can be studied at any time, the other is history in the making and needs to be seen as it happens.


True Bryn..... but you know UK TV as well as i do....... it will be re-run all night and on sky.

I didn't want to miss the JFK doc as it was a one off and i might not have got chance again. It was very moving and I'm glad i made that choice. :-6
At the going down of the sun and in the morning, we will remember them. R.L. Binyon

Return to “Presidential Elections Campaigns”