A Historic Day for the US

Discuss Presidential or Prime Minister elections for all countries here.
Bez

Post by Bez »

I just wanted to wish everyone in the US 'best wishes' on this historic day. Maybe the world will change for the better from this day......it needs to and I am ever hopeful.....:yh_star
A smile is a window on your face to show your heart is home
Carolly

Post by Carolly »

Im watching about it now on the tele Bez and like you I wish all the very best for my Friends over the pond on this Historic Day.;)
Women are bitchy and predictable ...men are not and that's the key to knowing the truth.
Bez

Post by Bez »

Carolly;1113980 wrote: Im watching about it now on the tele Bez and like you I wish all the very best for my Friends over the pond on this Historic Day.;)

I'm off to sort out my mortgage in a minute, but when I'm back I'll be 'glued' to the TV.

Can't wait for Obamas speech . He's bound to make loads of promises and we should be cautious about his ablility to fulfill everything....I'm SO hopeful though.

I'd be interested to know if any of our friends here will actually be attending the Inauguration....I know there'll be loads of Brits there.
Carolly

Post by Carolly »

Bez;1113984 wrote: I'm off to sort out my mortgage in a minute, but when I'm back I'll be 'glued' to the TV.

Can't wait for Obamas speech . He's bound to make loads of promises and we should be cautious about his ablility to fulfill everything....I'm SO hopeful though.

I'd be interested to know if any of our friends here will actually be attending the Inauguration....I know there'll be loads of Brits there.Like the old saying goes Bez......time will tell ;):D
Women are bitchy and predictable ...men are not and that's the key to knowing the truth.
Bez

Post by Bez »

Carolly;1113987 wrote: Like the old saying goes Bez......time will tell ;):D

Yes you're right.....I'm a pensioner so he hasn't got long.....:D
Carolly

Post by Carolly »

Bez;1113990 wrote: Yes you're right.....I'm a pensioner so he hasn't got long.....:D:yh_rotfl:yh_rotfl:yh_rotflBless;)
Galbally

Post by Galbally »

Yes its a proud day for all Americans, and a good day for everyone across the world who believes in the ideals of Democracy and Freedom. Mr Obama cannot be all things to all men, and he can't solve the world's problems, but he can make things better than they were, thats the job of leaders. Lets hope he can achieve something against this tide of problems we are all encoutering, no pressure Barak or anything then. :wah:

But yes, today is the start of a new era for America, hopefully the best of what America can be will emerge again, I believe it will, and thats a good thing in my opinion. :yh_flag:yh_flag:yh_flag
"We are never so happy, never so unhappy, as we imagine"

Le Rochefoucauld.

"A smack in the face settles all arguments, then you can move on kid."

My dad 1986.
mikeinie

Post by mikeinie »

:yh_dance:yh_party

Enjoy the party America
Raven

Post by Raven »

mikeinie;1114000 wrote: :yh_dance:yh_party

Enjoy the party America
America can be a fickle Lady, but I can assure you, today she proves once again that anything is possible. LOL! If you look up in the sky, maybe you'll see a flock of pigs. And hell is frozen for sure! YAAAY!!
~Quoth the Raven, Nevermore!~
Kindle

Post by Kindle »

How wonderful to read all your well wishes............... Tt truely is a historic day in our country. His election as President of the US shows the world that it is true: Anything is possible in America! We are a nation of many diversities, but WE ARE ONE.

"Out, damned spot! out, I say!"

- William Shakespeare, Macbeth, 5.1
Raven

Post by Raven »

Kindle;1114020 wrote: How wonderful to read all your well wishes............... Tt truely is a historic day in our country. His election as President of the US shows the world that it is true: Anything is possible in America! We are a nation of many diversities, but WE ARE ONE.

Yep! Love the pick of Liberty! Nothing like a French harbour chick being the face of America! :yh_rotfl
Kindle

Post by Kindle »

Raven;1114028 wrote: Yep! Love the pick of Liberty! Nothing like a French harbour chick being the face of America! :yh_rotfl

It's part of our inclusiveness.

Raven

Post by Raven »

Kindle;1114050 wrote: It's part of our inclusiveness.
I know. I'm American. I just love the irony and the symbolism of her. She is mine too.:-6
Kindle

Post by Kindle »

Raven;1114054 wrote: I know. I'm American. I just love the irony and the symbolism of her. She is mine too.:-6

Ah.................... I see. I was wondering about your wording, but your flag of origin was not US.

Raven

Post by Raven »

Nope. Been living in 'ol blighty for over 5 years now. But make no mistake, I was born in Fort Hood Texas.
Kindle

Post by Kindle »

Raven;1114104 wrote: Nope. Been living in 'ol blighty for over 5 years now. But make no mistake, I was born in Fort Hood Texas.

What brought about the move?

Raven

Post by Raven »

My husband. I married a Brit. I have no plans to move back to the U.S. but my whole family is there.
BTS

Post by BTS »

jimbo;1113979 wrote: yes bez a new era where america is once again the country holding the torch for all the free world to follow

here is to a new begining

Thanks Bez and everyone.

jimbo:

Why should we always be the one holding the torch amd getting nipped in the heels?

No jimbo, you carry the torch this tyme, we're tired and need to get our ship back in shape.......... but thanks anyway.

We'll be nipping at your heels all the way
"If America Was A Tree, The Left Would Root For The Termites...Greg Gutfeld."
Clodhopper

Post by Clodhopper »

...just adding my best wishes for America and all who sail in her. It's a great day!

BTS: No - we handed the torch to you about 100 years ago. If you want rid of it you've probably got to give it to the Chinese... I think I'd rather you kept hold of it a while longer...

Besides, we've got the Olympic torch. Two would be greedy.
The crowd: "Yes! We are all individuals!"

Lone voice: "I'm not."
sunny104

Post by sunny104 »

I'm more scared than excited but whatever, we'll see how it goes. :thinking:
Raven

Post by Raven »

sunny104;1114165 wrote: I'm more scared than excited but whatever, we'll see how it goes. :thinking:
Unless he is the antiChrist, then there is no worries.
Clodhopper

Post by Clodhopper »

Sunny: Why are you more scared than excited?

(Please excuse my ignorant Britishness...)
The crowd: "Yes! We are all individuals!"

Lone voice: "I'm not."
flopstock

Post by flopstock »

He needs to hit the ground running with ideas and initiatives.

He needs to keep harping on folks to take an active personal role in pulling ourselves up.

He needs to be just as inclusive of the conservatives among us as the liberals.

He needs to be honest with us.

He needs to make us believe in ourselves, our capabilities, our desires and our dreams..

I hope he CAN. :-6
I expressly forbid the use of any of my posts anywhere outside of FG (with the exception of the incredibly witty 'get a room already' )posted recently.

Folks who'd like to copy my intellectual work should expect to pay me for it.:-6

wildhorses

Post by wildhorses »

sunny104;1114165 wrote: I'm more scared than excited but whatever, we'll see how it goes. :thinking:

I hear ya. I am also concerned. Obama is only human and we are in deep chit right now. This election is a turn in the right direction, but there are lots of rocks in the road ahead. Hopefully Obama can make enough repairs to the foundation of our country, so that we at least have something to work with.
wildhorses

Post by wildhorses »

I hope the future holds a ray of light

:yh_party

:yh_flag:yh_flag:yh_flag:yh_flag:yh_flag:yh_flag
Raven

Post by Raven »

Well there it is. History HAS been made. Everybody remember where they are? Pigs are now flying and Hell just froze over. I'm sure there are a few dead bodies as well.:yh_rotfl
mikeinie

Post by mikeinie »

flopstock;1114214 wrote: He needs to hit the ground running with ideas and initiatives.

He needs to keep harping on folks to take an active personal role in pulling ourselves up.

He needs to be just as inclusive of the conservatives among us as the liberals.

He needs to be honest with us.

He needs to make us believe in ourselves, our capabilities, our desires and our dreams..

I hope he CAN. :-6

He needs to surround himself with the best people, he needs not to be a puppet to the oil companies and war machines, he needs to lead with integrity and do what is right and not what is ‘in line with party politics’.

He looks like the right guy for the job.
flopstock

Post by flopstock »

mikeinie;1114291 wrote: He needs to surround himself with the best people, he needs not to be a puppet to the oil companies and war machines, he needs to lead with integrity and do what is right and not what is ‘in line with party politics’.

He looks like the right guy for the job.

He may turn out to be genuine.. even conservatives on the talk shows are saying that he appears to be truly reaching across the differences and trying for common ground... not just playing lip service to the notion..:-6
I expressly forbid the use of any of my posts anywhere outside of FG (with the exception of the incredibly witty 'get a room already' )posted recently.

Folks who'd like to copy my intellectual work should expect to pay me for it.:-6

Kindle

Post by Kindle »

flopstock;1114309 wrote: He may turn out to be genuine.. even conservatives on the talk shows are saying that he appears to be truly reaching across the differences and trying for common ground... not just playing lip service to the notion..:-6

I truely hope so.

qsducks

Post by qsducks »

Bez;1113977 wrote: I just wanted to wish everyone in the US 'best wishes' on this historic day. Maybe the world will change for the better from this day......it needs to and I am ever hopeful.....:yh_star

I hope so too. We look like bafoons over here in the US. It was extremely exciting to watch the change on tv. I'm so proud that I voted Obama!:)
AussiePam

Post by AussiePam »

Congratulations America on your very fine new President!!!!!!!!
"Life is too short to ski with ugly men"

qsducks

Post by qsducks »

AussiePam;1114406 wrote: Congratulations America on your very fine new President!!!!!!!!

Thank you Pam. Yes, it is extremely exciting. Finally I'm glad American's of all nationalities, races, etc. came together and voted for a real person. He's electrifying. After 8 years of GW it is so refreshing to have someone who connects with real people. I voted for Clinton twice and that was exciting, but this election was even more exciting and has shown IMO the world and even our own nation, that yes finally, we have elected an African American to be our prez.:-4. The electorate is juiced here:)
Bryn Mawr

Post by Bryn Mawr »

May he be the right man, in the right place, at the right time and may the US thrive under his leadership.

You've just taken a huge step and more power to you for it :-6
AussiePam

Post by AussiePam »

qsducks;1114414 wrote: Thank you Pam. Yes, it is extremely exciting. Finally I'm glad American's of all nationalities, races, etc. came together and voted for a real person. He's electrifying. After 8 years of GW it is so refreshing to have someone who connects with real people. I voted for Clinton twice and that was exciting, but this election was even more exciting and has shown IMO the world and even our own nation, that yes finally, we have elected an African American to be our prez.:-4. The electorate is juiced here:)

And Duckie, it is sooooo good to hear at least one American in FG expressing joy!!! Mr Obama is both black and white, has ties to Asia, Africa, the Pacific. Who better to represent a huge, diverse country. He is strong and he is intelligent. I think we can all be cautiously hopeful !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
"Life is too short to ski with ugly men"

Oscar Namechange

Post by Oscar Namechange »

Congratulations America.

YouTube - Stranglers I Hate You!

I've just been talking to some kids who have been watching TV. They think Obama is being crowned King of America, bless them.
At the going down of the sun and in the morning, we will remember them. R.L. Binyon
qsducks

Post by qsducks »

AussiePam;1114424 wrote: And Duckie, it is sooooo good to hear at least one American in FG expressing joy!!! Mr Obama is both black and white, has ties to Asia, Africa, the Pacific. Who better to represent a huge, diverse country. He is strong and he is intelligent. I think we can all be cautiously hopeful !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

We are so excited about Obama! I know I am and my daughter who voted for the first time! Claire my neice who is currently residing in your country voted absentee ballot and I know she voted for ykw:). It is really refreshing also to see that congress is finally in Democratic hands for a change. I just hope they all do the right thing and pass intelligent laws, etc. instead of the dumb things Bush wanted.
chonsigirl

Post by chonsigirl »

It was a nice inaguration, we got the Capitol feed in the classroom to watch. The students were pretty serious about watching it-and they stood when Obama took the oath. They are waiting for the parade last I looked, a nice big crowd down there-loads came down from Baltimore and filled the metro trains.
Bryn Mawr

Post by Bryn Mawr »

chonsigirl;1114516 wrote: It was a nice inaguration, we got the Capitol feed in the classroom to watch. The students were pretty serious about watching it-and they stood when Obama took the oath. They are waiting for the parade last I looked, a nice big crowd down there-loads came down from Baltimore and filled the metro trains.

Having watched some of it, it must have been so exciting for your pupils - you sure know how to put on a show over there and they'll be hooked on politics for life :-)

It was good to see him out of the car and engaging with the crowds - shows respect for the people and was really appreciated by them.
along-for-the-ride

Post by along-for-the-ride »

Thank you for all the good wishes!:)

I feel pride. I feel hope. Did you see all those folks there in DC on the television broadcast? Amazing!

I want to get the "show on the road". If we have hard times coming for awhile, bring 'em on. We've got to know what we have to deal with and go from there.
Life is a Highway. Let's share the Commute.
Bruv

Post by Bruv »

Echoes of the Kennedy years ?

Wish him and America well, because it reflects on the rest of the world.

I wonder what Jester's thinking ?
I thought I knew more than this until I opened my mouth
Bryn Mawr

Post by Bryn Mawr »

Bruv;1114575 wrote: Echoes of the Kennedy years ?

I wonder what Jester's thinking ?

Difficult to tell - he's retired :-(
Oscar Namechange

Bruv;1114575 wrote: Echoes of the Kennedy years ?

I wonder what Jester's thinking ? Check the bottom of the posts to see who is watching which thread. That will tell you :sneaky::sneaky:
At the going down of the sun and in the morning, we will remember them. R.L. Binyon
Chezzie

Post by Chezzie »

Congratulations for America and the American people..

I am wishing for good times ahead for us all...

My kids watched the speech and were in awe, they know who he is and why he has made history today....

Best wishes to you all my friends:-4
Odie

Post by Odie »

congratulations to my neighbors!

awesome to have seen this today, it was just stunning!

His speech did us all proud!
Life is just to short for drama.
Oscar Namechange

I didn't watch it. There was a far more interesting documentary on JFK on another channel.
Bryn Mawr

Post by Bryn Mawr »

oscar;1114679 wrote: I didn't watch it. There was a far more interesting documentary on JFK on another channel.

One is history and can be studied at any time, the other is history in the making and needs to be seen as it happens.
Odie

Post by Odie »

Bryn Mawr;1114682 wrote: One is history and can be studied at any time, the other is history in the making and needs to be seen as it happens.

bravo!:guitarist
Life is just to short for drama.
Oscar Namechange

Bryn Mawr;1114682 wrote: One is history and can be studied at any time, the other is history in the making and needs to be seen as it happens.

True Bryn..... but you know UK TV as well as i do....... it will be re-run all night and on sky.

I didn't want to miss the JFK doc as it was a one off and i might not have got chance again. It was very moving and I'm glad i made that choice. :-6

Return to “Presidential Elections Campaigns”