New Zealand

A forum to discuss local issues in Asia, Africa, and the rest of the world.
pillbilly

New Zealand

Post by pillbilly »

I'm not putting this in the Australia forum, because they are NOT the same!! :wah:

Anyway, is anyone else here from NZ?
Dynabertawe

New Zealand

Post by Dynabertawe »

^No, but I was wondering if I could ask you a question. My partner and myself are thinking of going to NZ for 2 weeks hols, in your opinion, what part would be better to stay - North or South Island? Quite fancy going volcano watching, so I suppose the North would be best?

Thx
chrisb84uk

New Zealand

Post by chrisb84uk »

I'm pretty sure we have a few around, though not as many as we do Aussie members.
Lon

New Zealand

Post by Lon »

pillbilly;877841 wrote: I'm not putting this in the Australia forum, because they are NOT the same!! :wah:

Anyway, is anyone else here from NZ?

You betcha Aussies and Kiwi's are not the same. Perish the thought. My wife and I spend 4 to 6 months each year for the past 16 years in NZ. She is a Kiwi and has dual citizenship. Lots of family in both countries.

Recruit some more Kiwi's for this Forum.

www.thoughtsandtravels.blogspot.com
Nomad

New Zealand

Post by Nomad »

Ive been touting for years Kiwis will be the cause of Armegeddon.
I AM AWESOME MAN
sunny104

New Zealand

Post by sunny104 »

Nomad;1006637 wrote: Ive been touting for years Kiwis will be the cause of Armegeddon.

but they're so tasty! :D
Nomad

New Zealand

Post by Nomad »

sunny104;1006662 wrote: but they're so tasty! :D

Sure they are but youll be begging for mercy when they come to cleanse Texas.
I AM AWESOME MAN
buttercup

New Zealand

Post by buttercup »

Its bumping up an old thread but do we have any members in New Zealand, ex pats?

I'd like to know the pro's & con's of living there, we have considered putting in a note of interest lately.

Which part are you in Lon, north or south?
Lon

New Zealand

Post by Lon »

buttercup;1143325 wrote: Its bumping up an old thread but do we have any members in New Zealand, ex pats?

I'd like to know the pro's & con's of living there, we have considered putting in a note of interest lately.

Which part are you in Lon, north or south?

I am in Christchurch -- South Island

The pros and cons depend on your expectations. There are some things I like and some things that I dislike. I like the laid back quality of life, many fantastic beaches without gobs of people. Clean air and fresh clear un-medicated water. Many kinds of fresh fish, scones, meat pies, the present xchange rate to the U.S. dollar, great golf courses, playing bolls, and much more.

I am glad I am retired as the business community is a bit too laid back for me. Kiwi drivers are maniacs and I have driven all over the world. They all seem to drive with the mentality of 16 year olds. We'll be returning to California on the 3rd of March where there are pros and cons of living there as well.
buttercup

New Zealand

Post by buttercup »

The expectations for Andy are a job in telecommunications (he's a B.T engineer) i cant find that on a demand list which is a bit of a concern regarding the point system, he may need a job first. His biggest passion in life is diving so we would be looking to live on or near the coast.

The priority for me is no neighbours & not blistering heat, i'm not a sun worshiper and have heard the south island is cooler than the north and not unlike Scotland?

What's the name of the telephone company over there so i can search their job website?
Lon

New Zealand

Post by Lon »

buttercup;1143370 wrote: The expectations for Andy are a job in telecommunications (he's a B.T engineer) i cant find that on a demand list which is a bit of a concern regarding the point system, he may need a job first. His biggest passion in life is diving so we would be looking to live on or near the coast.

The priority for me is no neighbours & not blistering heat, i'm not a sun worshiper and have heard the south island is cooler than the north and not unlike Scotland?

What's the name of the telephone company over there so i can search their job website?

You would be right at home on the South Island, particularly the city of Dunedin, which was settled by mostly Scots and where everyone sounds like "Billy Connely":)

New Zealand like many other countries is caught up in the economic mess and redundencys are aplenty. In many respects the telecommunications field seems to be one up on the U.S. but I don't know about employment opportunities. My SIL is a transplanted Brit and is co-owner of the Lap Top Co. here in Christchurch. I will PM his email to you and I am sure he would be happy to fill you in. Like with many things, contacts make the difference. New Zealand is not as tropical as many think as it lies pretty far south. My home area in California is much hotter than even the North Island here.

The telephone company is "Telecom". I will tell my SIL to expect contact from you.
Nomad

New Zealand

Post by Nomad »

I dont know, can we really even regard New Zealand as a region ?

I mean yea its there, people reside there but is it significant enough to give it region status ?

I propose New Zealand be referred to as 'that place'

Its a demotion sure but I think I speak for all of the continents when I say its what the rest of the world is calling for.

Thank you

Nomad
I AM AWESOME MAN
Lon

New Zealand

Post by Lon »

Nomad;1144788 wrote: I dont know, can we really even regard New Zealand as a region ?

I mean yea its there, people reside there but is it significant enough to give it region status ?

I propose New Zealand be referred to as 'that place'

Its a demotion sure but I think I speak for all of the continents when I say its what the rest of the world is calling for.

Thank you

Nomad

Sorry Nomad----Adak, Alaska in the Aleutian Islands has already been designated as "That Place"

New Zealand has long been referred to as "AOTEAROA"(Land of the long white cloud)
mrsK

New Zealand

Post by mrsK »

Lon;1145061 wrote: Sorry Nomad----Adak, Alaska in the Aleutian Islands has already been designated as "That Place"

New Zealand has long been referred to as "AOTEAROA"(Land of the long white cloud)

It is like the song say's

"A slice of Heaven" lovely place:-6
It's nice to be important,but more important to be nice.

Return to “Other Regions”