who loves fishing?

A place to discuss all of your outdoor activities. Hunting, fishing, hiking, camping, and whatever else you do out in the great wilds.
Odie

who loves fishing?

Post by Odie »

I have been fishing since I was 5, we went to a cottage every year and myself and dad were out on the boat at 5 a.m. every morning, we went back out every night at 9 p.m.

Dad taught me everything I know about fishing, bait, tackle, how to use a boat and motor, catch and release and just how important it was. Dad and I spent countless hours just the two of us, great quality time together!

I have met Bob Izumi and we talked at great lengths on the fishing here in Ontario.

I use a Shimano rod and reel.

I have caught the usual, perch, small and large mouth bass, then graduated to using live minnows for catching walleye in the weeds to huge louers in catching pike!

Here is me fishing at Algonquin Park here in Ontario, any great fishermen out there?

click twice for better view.

Life is just to short for drama.
minks

who loves fishing?

Post by minks »

Odie;1099023 wrote: I have been fishing since I was 5, we went to a cottage every year and myself and dad were out on the boat at 5 a.m. every morning, we went back out every night at 9 p.m.

Dad taught me everything I know about fishing, bait, tackle, how to use a boat and motor, catch and release and just how important it was. Dad and I spent countless hours just the two of us, great quality time together!

I have met Bob Izumi and we talked at great lengths on the fishing here in Ontario.

I use a Shimano rod and reel.

I have caught the usual, perch, small and large mouth bass, then graduated to using live minnows for catching walleye in the weeds to huge louers in catching pike!

Here is me fishing at Algonquin Park here in Ontario, any great fishermen out there?

click twice for better view.

I just got my first fishing licence last year, this year I hope to get out more and actually catch a fish . I would love to fly into some remote fishing lodge and spend a few days fishing.

I used to fish with my dad and like yourself learned it all.

I will get out there more this year.
�You only live once, but if you do it right, once is enough.�

― Mae West
Odie

who loves fishing?

Post by Odie »

minks;1099025 wrote: I just got my first fishing licence last year, this year I hope to get out more and actually catch a fish . I would love to fly into some remote fishing lodge and spend a few days fishing.

I used to fish with my dad and like yourself learned it all.

I will get out there more this year.

I still want to learn fly fishing, we have a river that has huge salmon every fall!

If you need any suggestions for fly-in camps in Ontario, let me know!;)

nice to learn with our dads!
minks

who loves fishing?

Post by minks »

Odie;1099027 wrote: I still want to learn fly fishing, we have a river that has huge salmon every fall!

If you need any suggestions for fly-in camps in Ontario, let me know!;)

nice to learn with our dads!

I remember as a kid we drove up into Northern British Columbia on a family holiday with my aunt, uncle and cousins and the men left for a weekend fly in fishing trip to fish for arctic char and they came back with some wonderful big fish. I had never had arctic char before but my aunts family (whom we stayed with) packaged it all up for us so we could get it home and told my aunt and mom how to prepare it. I can only remember it was darn tasty and ever since then would love to take that kind of fishing adventure. Be flown into some remote place and dropped off at the cabins and let loose on the lake. I would have more pictures than fish but would love it.

― Mae West
Odie

who loves fishing?

Post by Odie »

on our honeymoon, Mike and I rented a chalet and spent the week fishing, took our two kittens, the Chalet was all glass at the front, the cats loved it, there was other cats that came right up to the glass door and chipmunks!

-always had a campfire after our last trip out at night.

We only keep the fish we caught to eat, walleye is just awesome on the bbq!

wrapped in foil, butter and a touch of lemon.
minks

who loves fishing?

Post by minks »

Ooooo you are making me hungry.

When we were kids dad and my brother did most of the fishing out camping (every weekend)

When they brought the trout back to the camper we rolled them whole in cornmeal and flour and fried them in butter in a pan over the fire... to die for hehehehe

I can't wait to do that again.

― Mae West
Odie

who loves fishing?

Post by Odie »

minks;1099028 wrote: I remember as a kid we drove up into Northern British Columbia on a family holiday with my aunt, uncle and cousins and the men left for a weekend fly in fishing trip to fish for arctic char and they came back with some wonderful big fish. I had never had arctic char before but my aunts family (whom we stayed with) packaged it all up for us so we could get it home and told my aunt and mom how to prepare it. I can only remember it was darn tasty and ever since then would love to take that kind of fishing adventure. Be flown into some remote place and dropped off at the cabins and let loose on the lake. I would have more pictures than fish but would love it.

oh god that sounds fun, no one around and peace and quiet, but I don't fly!:-5:-5

your right, what an adventure that would be, but like you, I would be taken pictures as well and of the bears to, eek!

however we can drive up to some here in Northern Ontario, but its a long drive and they are expensive but one great thing is they have fishing guides that will either come with you or tell you exactly where the fish are, which I need!:yh_rotfl:yh_rotfl

your lucky to live in B.C., the best fishing in Canada they say!
Odie

who loves fishing?

Post by Odie »

minks;1099030 wrote: Ooooo you are making me hungry.

When we were kids dad and my brother did most of the fishing out camping (every weekend)

When they brought the trout back to the camper we rolled them whole in cornmeal and flour and fried them in butter in a pan over the fire... to die for hehehehe

I can't wait to do that again.

now your making me hungry, nothing better than fresh fish!

We used to go camping and its was soooooo much fun, we found a favorite site where our campsite was right on the lake, we even rented a boat and docked it by the campsite.........but there was no fish in that lake, apparently it was just to deep, even with me making sure my line hit bottom, we had no luck at all.
minks

who loves fishing?

Post by minks »

Odie;1099035 wrote: oh god that sounds fun, no one around and peace and quiet, but I don't fly!:-5:-5

your right, what an adventure that would be, but like you, I would be taken pictures as well and of the bears to, eek!

however we can drive up to some here in Northern Ontario, but its a long drive and they are expensive but one great thing is they have fishing guides that will either come with you or tell you exactly where the fish are, which I need!:yh_rotfl:yh_rotfl

your lucky to live in B.C., the best fishing in Canada they say!

hehehe no one province over my dear, I am in Alberta.

Oh but we get good photo opp's here too and great fishing, this year when I go to BC to the trailer my folks have I will try salmon fishing they are in the river right by the trailer.

― Mae West
Odie

who loves fishing?

Post by Odie »

minks;1099038 wrote: hehehe no one province over my dear, I am in Alberta.

Oh but we get good photo opp's here too and great fishing, this year when I go to BC to the trailer my folks have I will try salmon fishing they are in the river right by the trailer.

which part, my son is way up in Grande Prairie, now that's cold!

been to Calgary and Edmonton and of course seen those rocky mountains, Jasper and drove through the highway going thru Banff National park, moose everywhere, awesome trip!.......the scenery was like non-other!

you will love salmon fishing, in the river here where we go in with our hipweighters, you can literally see hundreds of salmon in huge pool, need to learn to flyfish there.
minks

who loves fishing?

Post by minks »

Odie;1099040 wrote: which part, my son is way up in Grande Prairie, now that's cold!

been to Calgary and Edmonton and of course seen those rocky mountains, Jasper and drove through the highway going thru Banff National park, moose everywhere, awesome trip!.......the scenery was like non-other!

you will love salmon fishing, in the river here where we go in with our hipweighters, you can literally see hundreds of salmon in huge pool, need to learn to flyfish there.

The Calgary part, I have lived here all my life. Aw the road to Jasper via Banff is awesome. I get to Banff regularly. I love it there.

Ooooooooooooo yes you do need to learn and me to and when you come back this way we will catch up with each other and fish :wah:

― Mae West
Odie

who loves fishing?

Post by Odie »

minks;1099043 wrote: The Calgary part, I have lived here all my life. Aw the road to Jasper via Banff is awesome. I get to Banff regularly. I love it there.

Ooooooooooooo yes you do need to learn and me to and when you come back this way we will catch up with each other and fish :wah:

I thought it was Calgary just from the way you had talked before, I remember the two hour drive from there to the mountains, and when seeing them so far away for the first time, then driving closer, nothing in Canada can beat that feeling! Now today may not be 2 hours as this was 20 years ago we drove it.

Ooooooooooooooo yes, fishing together? priceless!:driving::driving:
Carolly

who loves fishing?

Post by Carolly »

Chris loves fishing...he really does. His even had holidays in the past doing fishing and nofing else.He loved going to Ireland to do this also.He dosen't eat the fish normally and throws them back but oh boy he likes his fishing thats for sure;):-4
Women are bitchy and predictable ...men are not and that's the key to knowing the truth.
Odie

who loves fishing?

Post by Odie »

Carolly;1099158 wrote: Chris loves fishing...he really does. His even had holidays in the past doing fishing and nofing else.He loved going to Ireland to do this also.He dosen't eat the fish normally and throws them back but oh boy he likes his fishing thats for sure;):-4

you must bring him on board and we can talk fishing:guitarist:guitarist!

what kind of fish?
Carolly

who loves fishing?

Post by Carolly »

Odie;1099159 wrote: you must bring him on board and we can talk fishing:guitarist:guitarist!

what kind of fish?Anyfing I fink:confused: but not eels:yh_rotfl:yh_rotfl.When he comes online next babe I will ask him to post on this thread;):-4
Women are bitchy and predictable ...men are not and that's the key to knowing the truth.
Odie

who loves fishing?

Post by Odie »

Carolly;1099162 wrote: Anyfing I fink:confused: but not eels:yh_rotfl:yh_rotfl.When he comes online next babe I will ask him to post on this thread;):-4

I use live minnows to fish with, not eels!:-5:-5:yh_rotfl:yh_rotfl:yh_rotfl

yes please, bring him on board!
Carolly

who loves fishing?

Post by Carolly »

Odie;1099168 wrote: I use live minnows to fish with, not eels!:-5:-5:yh_rotfl:yh_rotfl:yh_rotfl

yes please, bring him on board!Whats that:-3 he uses maggets...ugh:(
Odie

who loves fishing?

Post by Odie »

minnows are tiny tiny fish, we use them live and put them on the hook, its done a certain way and they will still squirm for quite a long time. We put them on the hook through their stomach.

Carolly

who loves fishing?

Post by Carolly »

Odie;1099183 wrote: minnows are tiny tiny fish, we use them live and put them on the hook, its done a certain way and they will still squirm for quite a long time. We put them on the hook through their stomach.

Ahhhhhh poor little fishes:-1:-1:-1Maggets are used over here mainly I fink.
Odie

who loves fishing?

Post by Odie »

Carolly;1099191 wrote: Ahhhhhh poor little fishes:-1:-1:-1Maggets are used over here mainly I fink.

those are those white things?

we have those in our garbage in the summer heat!:-5:-5

where's all the men here, someone here must fish!:-5:-5:sneaky::sneaky::yh_rotfl:yh_rotfl
Carolly

who loves fishing?

Post by Carolly »

Odie;1099194 wrote: those are those white things?

we have those in our garbage in the summer heat!:-5:-5

where's all the men here, someone here must fish!:-5:-5:sneaky::sneaky::yh_rotfl:yh_rotflYep there baby Blue Bottles and have to be kept in the fridge can you believe or they actually turn into Bluebottles..........bleedin horrible fings:sneaky:I will see if I can get Chris to get on here in a couple of hours time babe.....have to go now so talk then;):-4:driving:
Peg

who loves fishing?

Post by Peg »

Our family loves to fish. My son won't go with us but fishes with his buddies. I use nightcrawlers and only nightcrawlers. My husband will use leeches. YUCK! We catch and release.
Odie

who loves fishing?

Post by Odie »

Peg;1099210 wrote: Our family loves to fish. My son won't go with us but fishes with his buddies. I use nightcrawlers and only nightcrawlers. My husband will use leeches. YUCK! We catch and release.

worms are great to, but I won't use leeches or frogs.
mikeinie

who loves fishing?

Post by mikeinie »

When looking at the raw data of how many accidents men get into vs women you are correct, but you cannot look at that way because there are more men drivers on the roads than women and they drive more miles and longer hours.

So when you look at it more statistical as in number of accidents per mile driven, sorry ladies, men are better. Men: 5.1 accidents per mill miles, women 5.7 accidents per mill miles

:driving:

Men vs Women Drivers?
Omni_Skittles

who loves fishing?

Post by Omni_Skittles »

they don't make fishing polls for girls... that's what my grand-dad says... but i love fishing... I so badly want to go someday!!!
Smoke signals ftw!
hoxtonchris

who loves fishing?

Post by hoxtonchris »

hi all,how good to see a fishing thread on a forum!,i have been fishing since i was 12 years old yep 45 years!.i started on our local london canals when in those days shire horse pulled barges on them,then i fished competitions for a major british electrics company gec ltd.there would be upwards of 300 fishermen along the river banks!,i came 2nd one year.i fish my local rivers these days as much as possible,i use maggotts(blue bottle larva)i catch,tench,eels,roach,perch,minnows,bleak,bream etc ,etc,ive fished in southern ireland,the fishing ther is unbelievable!also i fished in holland ,good fishing but sooooo monotonous.i would love to fish in canada or america,our fishing is ok,but i know yours is truly spectacular,we use lures for pike,and zander,and perch and chub,but not on the scale you do. the red canall narrow boat is on my local river,and the lake is near my home,i catch carp from the lake

Attached files
Odie

who loves fishing?

Post by Odie »

jimbo;1099287 wrote: i love fishing me :):)

just put out my bait waiting for a bite :thinking::thinking:

that's it?:yh_rotfl:yh_rotfl
Odie

who loves fishing?

Post by Odie »

Omni_Skittles;1099297 wrote: they don't make fishing polls for girls... that's what my grand-dad says... but i love fishing... I so badly want to go someday!!!

:yh_rotfl:yh_rotfl:yh_rotfl

fishing rods are made in all sizes, even kids have them!
kayleneaussie

who loves fishing?

Post by kayleneaussie »

I love fishing...mainly catch flathead or whiting. We go out on the boat and stop out all day.....dont get much time these days but always go fishing on our holidays which is about a weeks time so looking forward to it :D
FOC THREAD PART 1
Carolly

who loves fishing?

Post by Carolly »

kayleneaussie;1099317 wrote: I love fishing...mainly catch flathead or whiting. We go out on the boat and stop out all day.....dont get much time these days but always go fishing on our holidays which is about a weeks time so looking forward to it :D
Get me some eels next time:D;):driving:
kayleneaussie

who loves fishing?

Post by kayleneaussie »

Carolly;1099318 wrote: Get me some eels next time:D;):driving:

rack off boobsie bird :-5:-5
FOC THREAD PART 1
Odie

who loves fishing?

Post by Odie »

hoxtonchris;1099309 wrote: hi all,how good to see a fishing thread on a forum!,i have been fishing since i was 12 years old yep 45 years!.i started on our local london canals when in those days shire horse pulled barges on them,then i fished competitions for a major british electrics company gec ltd.there would be upwards of 300 fishermen along the river banks!,i came 2nd one year.i fish my local rivers these days as much as possible,i use maggotts(blue bottle larva)i catch,tench,eels,roach,perch,minnows,bleak,bream etc ,etc,ive fished in southern ireland,the fishing ther is unbelievable!also i fished in holland ,good fishing but sooooo monotonous.i would love to fish in canada or america,our fishing is ok,but i know yours is truly spectacular,we use lures for pike,and zander,and perch and chub,but not on the scale you do. the red canall narrow boat is on my local river,and the lake is near my home,i catch carp from the lake

Chris, finally someone besides me that knows how to catch fish!:yh_party

Your so lucky to have been in competitions, you really know your stuff for those!

Haven't heard of a lot of your fish, but do watch my fishing shows from around the world and so great to see different species!

If you ever get here, go to British Columbia for their salmon fishing, fish are just huge, 30 - 40 pouders, fishing guides take you out each day and find the best spots for them.

Carp we do have here, weird looking eh?

Catfish we have tons of, those things scare the heck outtta me!:yh_rotfl:yh_rotfl
Carolly

who loves fishing?

Post by Carolly »

kayleneaussie;1099322 wrote: rack off boobsie bird :-5:-5
Behave this aint the FOC Thread.....make out yer a lady:sneaky:
hoxtonchris

who loves fishing?

Post by hoxtonchris »

Odie;1099326 wrote: Chris, finally someone besides me that knows how to catch fish!:yh_party

Your so lucky to have been in competitions, you really know your stuff for those!

Haven't heard of a lot of your fish, but do watch my fishing shows from around the world and so great to see different species!

If you ever get here, go to British Columbia for their salmon fishing, fish are just huge, 30 - 40 pouders, fishing guides take you out each day and find the best spots for them.

Carp we do have here, weird looking eh?

Catfish we have tons of, those things scare the heck outtta me!:yh_rotfl:yh_rotfl i saw a programme here last night ,one of our actors is going round the world catching different species,he was in cajun country and catching catfish by hand!he waded in ,put his hands down a hole and brought up a catfish!.i prefer fishing with a rod(you call it a poll?)we use a pole but they are as long as 30 or even 40 foot long and can cost 10,000 pounds!
kayleneaussie

who loves fishing?

Post by kayleneaussie »

Carolly;1099328 wrote: Behave this aint the FOC Thread.....make out yer a lady:sneaky:

well stop annoying me:guitarist
FOC THREAD PART 1
Odie

who loves fishing?

Post by Odie »

hoxtonchris;1099331 wrote: i saw a programme here last night ,one of our actors is going round the world catching different species,he was in cajun country and catching catfish by hand!he waded in ,put his hands down a hole and brought up a catfish!.i prefer fishing with a rod(you call it a poll?)we use a pole but they are as long as 30 or even 40 foot long and can cost 10,000 pounds!

ewwwwwwwwww catfish pulling them out, yuck!

Yes, we calling them fishing rods and reels here, mind are both Shimano.
Odie

who loves fishing?

Post by Odie »

kayleneaussie;1099334 wrote: well stop annoying me:guitarist

do you fish?:sneaky::sneaky:

are you on the right thread?:yh_rotfl:yh_rotfl:yh_rotfl
Omni_Skittles

who loves fishing?

Post by Omni_Skittles »

Odie;1099314 wrote: :yh_rotfl:yh_rotfl:yh_rotfl

fishing rods are made in all sizes, even kids have them!are you calling my grandad a liar? :thinking:
Smoke signals ftw!
Carolly

who loves fishing?

Post by Carolly »

kayleneaussie;1099334 wrote: well stop annoying me:guitaristWell be nice............go fishing or somefing:rolleyes::driving:
kayleneaussie

who loves fishing?

Post by kayleneaussie »

Odie;1099337 wrote: do you fish?:sneaky::sneaky:

are you on the right thread?:yh_rotfl:yh_rotfl:yh_rotfl

yes Odie I do fish:D go fishing every holiday use to fish a lot bt too busy now so looking forward to it next week :-6
FOC THREAD PART 1
kayleneaussie

who loves fishing?

Post by kayleneaussie »

Omni_Skittles;1099338 wrote: are you calling my grandad a liar? :thinking:

dont think she was saying he is a liar...harsh word....fishing rods are for both male and female or so I thought:thinking:
FOC THREAD PART 1
Carolly

who loves fishing?

Post by Carolly »

kayleneaussie;1099347 wrote: dont think she was saying he is a liar...harsh word....fishing rods are for both male and female or so I thought:thinking:They make all different sizes Kay so either male or female can use them.
hoxtonchris

who loves fishing?

Post by hoxtonchris »

Odie;1099335 wrote: ewwwwwwwwww catfish pulling them out, yuck!

Yes, we calling them fishing rods and reels here, mind are both Shimano.

shimano are the best make in my opinion,i use them too,i also have a travelling rod and real that i take everywhere with me,if i pass a river i like the look of i will go down to the edge set up and have a go even if its only for a short while.dont know if you are aware but shimano also make the best cycle gears too.i fished in greece one year.the locals were trying to catch small sea fish for bait ,but with their huge hooks and line their success was minimal.i set up one of my competition rods and tiny hooks and thin line,i put some morsals in a handfull of sand and threw that around my float.i caught loads!the locals were amazed and i handed over some hooks etc for them to use(a business oportunity there me thinks)
kayleneaussie

who loves fishing?

Post by kayleneaussie »

Carolly;1099349 wrote: They make all different sizes Kay so either male or female can use them.

I know that :-5:-5
FOC THREAD PART 1
Carolly

who loves fishing?

Post by Carolly »

kayleneaussie;1099353 wrote: I know that :-5:-5I know you know and I was backing up your reply:-5:sneaky::driving:
kayleneaussie

who loves fishing?

Post by kayleneaussie »

Carolly;1099358 wrote: I know you know and I was backing up your reply:-5:sneaky::driving:

ohhhhhhhhhh ok :yh_rotfl thanks :D
FOC THREAD PART 1
hoxtonchris

who loves fishing?

Post by hoxtonchris »

Omni_Skittles;1099338 wrote: are you calling my grandad a liar? :thinking:could be your grandad was wary of putting you on the end of a rod too young,i knew when i had to take my son fishing at an early age that i would spend most of the day untangling his line,also i suspect in america the dangers are pretty awesome(clever use of an americanism there)and so until you were an age to care for your self he was conservative with the actual situation regarding fishing equipment availability.grandparents NEVER lie to us,they protect us.
kayleneaussie

who loves fishing?

Post by kayleneaussie »

hoxtonchris;1099362 wrote: could be your grandad was wary of putting you on the end of a rod too young,i knew when i had to take my son fishing at an early age that i would spend most of the day untangling his line,also i suspect in america the dangers are pretty awsome(clever use of an americanism there)and so until you were an age to care for your self he was conservative with the actual situation regarding fishing equipment availability.grandparents NEVER lie to us,they protect us.

I love to see my grandkids fishing as long as they keep away from me :yh_rotfl you spend all day untangling their lines and putting the bait on for them:-5 They cast out then reel straight in too impatient to wait for a bite.....but they have fun :-4
FOC THREAD PART 1

Return to “The Outdoors”