What's up with Richardson?

A forum to discuss local issues in OK, TX, NM, AZ.
Accountable

Post by Accountable »

I was curious about this when I heard about it Sunday, but they're still talking about it today on talk radio. This guy grant's drivers licenses and educational aid to illegal aliens and has the nads to complain to the federal gov't about them????

What's wrong with this picture?

New Mexico Governor Declares Border Emergency To Free Up Funds

ASSOCIATED PRESS

COLUMBUS, N.M. (AP) -- Gov. Bill Richardson on Friday declared an emergency in four New Mexico counties along the border, an action that lets him free up money to be spent on everything from fighting drug smuggling to fencing a livestock yard.

The executive order, issued after Richardson toured the area around Columbus, makes $750,000 immediately available to Dona Ana, Luna, Grant and Hidalgo counties. He pledged an additional $1 million.

The money will aid state and area law enforcement efforts, fund a field office for the state Office of Homeland Security and help build a fence to protect a Columbus-area livestock yard where a number of cattle have been killed or stolen.

Richardson's declaration said law enforcement officials have used all available resources to help with border security. But those efforts haven't alleviated the situation, which he said ''constitutes an emergency condition with potentially catastrophic consequences.''

''Recent developments have convinced me this action is necessary - including violence directed at law enforcement, damage to property and livestock, increased evidence of drug smuggling and an increase in the number of undocumented immigrants,'' he said.

He also ordered the New Mexico Department of Agriculture to work with the state Livestock Board to assess the safety of livestock in the region.

The funds include nearly $50,000 for an 11-foot, razor wire-topped security fence around the stockyards. It will replace a shorter, barbed-wire fence that Richardson said ''is so full of holes and gaps that trucks and people can cross with no control.''

The new fence will help prevent cattle from Mexico straying across the border, officials said.

''We don't want contagious diseases to contaminate our food supply and disrupt our agricultural economy,'' Richardson said in a statement before his trip.

Daniel Manzanares, executive director of the Livestock Board, said at least 100 cattle from Mexico have been found in the area. The agency hasn't traced any outbreaks of disease to Mexican cattle, but Manzanares said he suspects some have carried bovine tuberculosis into New Mexico.

The current state of the stockyard fence means people have been able to illegally enter the country as well.

''We definitely have concerns about biosecurity and agroterrorism,'' said Tim Manning, New Mexico's homeland security adviser.

greydeadhead

Post by greydeadhead »

Ahhh yes.. Bill Richardson.. Clinton spinmaster extrordinaire....

gotta keep the cattle from entering the country illegally..
Feed your spirit by living near it -- Magic Hat Brewery bottle cap
Clint

Post by Clint »

Simple. He sees Hillary getting weaker and a lot of people concerned about the boarders. President Richardson.
Schooling results in matriculation. Education is a process that changes the learner.
Accountable

Post by Accountable »

Clint wrote: Simple. He sees Hillary getting weaker and a lot of people concerned about the boarders. President Richardson.
But he says he's giving illegals licenses because if he doesn't they'll be driving around without insurance. Can't he smell the s**t he's slinging?
Clint

Post by Clint »

I have to wonder if there isn't a lot of concern about knowing who is here. Getting them to identify themselves for the purpose of getting a DL may just be a way to find out
Schooling results in matriculation. Education is a process that changes the learner.
Accountable

Post by Accountable »

Clint wrote: I have to wonder if there isn't a lot of concern about knowing who is here. Getting them to identify themselves for the purpose of getting a DL may just be a way to find out
Sure, if we're looking for Bubba bin Zarquawi! :wah:
Clint

Post by Clint »

I hear what you are saying and you are right. It isn’t a process that will catch the smart ones. I’m not saying it is a good way to catch them. I think it is part of the reasoning behind granting drivers licenses to illegals

Return to “South West”