We are going to Ireland!!!!

Been on a great vacation or location recently? Share with us your travels, your tips, great places to stay, and whatever else you can think of.
qsducks

Post by qsducks »

We are traveling to Ireland on June 13th to the 27th. All six of us are going and we got a bargain on the plane tix. So, what are the main attractions in Ireland and where are the really good restaurants, etc. We are landing in Shannon and my sil is renting a house for us. Need reviews.
qsducks

Post by qsducks »

jimbo;1115962 wrote: suzy and i are going to irleland also in may i think :-6:-6

the last time i went everyone was very friendly :-6:-6

We have to wait till the kids are finished school in mid June. Oh that would be a blast to run into you two.:wah: Besides Galbally, who else is from Ireland on the FG?
Galbally

Post by Galbally »

Okay thats fantatsic. Some recommendations from myself.

Places you should see, or at least a list of the best places, particularly because your flying into Shannon. You are near all these places, 5 distinct areas. Generally the Atlantic Coast line of Ireland is amazing, and its the part that will most live up to what you think Ireland is like, the East coast is less interesting, more urbanized and disapointingly modern (and especially the areas around Dublin, which are all just part of the rat race).

So the nicest parts are.

Cork City/West Co. Cork

West Co. Kerry/Dingle Penisula/Ring of Kerry

West Mayo/Westport (town)/Achill Island

Galway City/Conemarra/Cliften/Leenaun

Co Clare/Doolin/Cliff of Moher/The Burren

All these places are fantastic and you will love them.

Places you need not bother with.

Dublin/Temple Bar/Guiness Brewery etc etc. Tourist trap, expensive, just another city. Its fine if you want a city break, but if you want to experience Ireland, forget Dublin, you could be anywhere, except everyone will have Irish accents and there will be more drunkeness than usual.

Generally large Irish cities are boring, unless you love drinking, Galyway is probably the nicest town, and Cork the best City. Basically I'd also not bother with the flat bit in the middle (The Midlands, as we call them) unless you really want to experience the whole Island.

Everywhere else is fairly nice, over in Meath you have Tara and Newgrange (which is seriously amazing, its the oldest building in the world), and on the East Coast you have Co. Wicklow which is beautiful. Then there are the border counties and the North, which I don't know so well, because I don't be round that way.

My own favorite part of Ireland is definitely the West Mayo, Clew Bay, Achill Island Area. Its just stunning, and the Mayo people are brilliant. :-6
"We are never so happy, never so unhappy, as we imagine"

Le Rochefoucauld.

"A smack in the face settles all arguments, then you can move on kid."

My dad 1986.
mikeinie

Post by mikeinie »

qsducks;1115959 wrote: We are traveling to Ireland on June 13th to the 27th. All six of us are going and we got a bargain on the plane tix. So, what are the main attractions in Ireland and where are the really good restaurants, etc. We are landing in Shannon and my sil is renting a house for us. Need reviews.

Wow did you ever ask that question on the right place:

If you are flying into Shannon that I assume that you are staying on the west coast.

Therefore I suggest the following;

The Burren. The Burren - County Clare - Places to Visit in Ireland

The Ailwee Caves: The Aillwee Cave - The Burren - Co. Clare

The Cliffs of Moher: Photos/Pictures of The Cliffs of Moher (Munster Region, Ireland)

Then you need to travel down to the Dingle Peninsula.

Ireland's Dingle Peninsula -- 6,000 Years of History

While there you need to drive the Connor Pass:

Picture of Connor Pass

You need to see Galway City:

http://www.pretentia.com/celticadventure/galwaycity.jpg

If you have time get out to the Aran Islands

About the Islands | Aran Islands. Inis Mor, Inis Meain, Inis Oirr | Island, Inis, Islands, Cultural, Rock

If you need more to do let me know
qsducks

Post by qsducks »

Galbally;1115975 wrote: Okay thats fantatsic. Some recommendations from myself.

Places you should see, or at least a list of the best places, particularly because your flying into Shannon. You are near all these places, 5 distinct areas. Generally the Atlantic Coast line of Ireland is amazing, and its the part that will most live up to what you think Ireland is like, the East coast is less interesting, more urbanized and disapointingly modern (and especially the areas around Dublin, which are all just part of the rat race).

So the nicest parts are.

Cork City/West Co. Cork

West Co. Kerry/Dingle Penisula/Ring of Kerry

West Mayo/Westport (town)/Achill Island

Galway City/Conemarra/Cliften/Leenaun

Co Clare/Doolin/Cliff of Moher/The Burren

All these places are fantastic and you will love them.

Places you need not bother with.

Dublin/Temple Bar/Guiness Brewery etc etc. Tourist trap, expensive, just another city. Its fine if you want a city break, but if you want to experience Ireland, forget Dublin, you could be anywhere, except everyone will have Irish accents and there will be more drunkeness than usual.

Generally large Irish cities are boring, unless you love drinking, Galyway is probably the nicest town, and Cork the best City. Basically I'd also not bother with the flat bit in the middle (The Midlands, as we call them) unless you really want to experience the whole Island.

Everywhere else is fairly nice, over in Meath you have Tara and Newgrange (which is seriously amazing, its the oldest building in the world), and on the East Coast you have Co. Wicklow which is beautiful. Then there are the border counties and the North, which I don't know so well, because I don't be round that way.

My own favorite part of Ireland is definitely the West Mayo, Clew Bay, Achill Island Area. Its just stunning, and the Mayo people are brilliant. :-6

Just got off the phone with hubs and he has no desire to go to Dublin. I was telling him about the places you've recommended and will also be talking to Kathy Ellen tonight to get some feel. Great advice Galbally and thank you!:-4
Odie

Post by Odie »

qsducks;1115959 wrote: We are traveling to Ireland on June 13th to the 27th. All six of us are going and we got a bargain on the plane tix. So, what are the main attractions in Ireland and where are the really good restaurants, etc. We are landing in Shannon and my sil is renting a house for us. Need reviews.

ohhhhhhhhhhhhhh nice ducks!

enjoy your trip!
Life is just to short for drama.
qsducks

Post by qsducks »

mikeinie;1115976 wrote: Wow did you ever ask that question on the right place:

If you are flying into Shannon that I assume that you are staying on the west coast.

Therefore I suggest the following;

The Burren. The Burren - County Clare - Places to Visit in Ireland

The Ailwee Caves: The Aillwee Cave - The Burren - Co. Clare

The Cliffs of Moher: Photos/Pictures of The Cliffs of Moher (Munster Region, Ireland)

Then you need to travel down to the Dingle Peninsula.

Ireland's Dingle Peninsula -- 6,000 Years of History

While there you need to drive the Connor Pass:

Picture of Connor Pass

You need to see Galway City:

http://www.pretentia.com/celticadventure/galwaycity.jpg

If you have time get out to the Aran Islands

About the Islands | Aran Islands. Inis Mor, Inis Meain, Inis Oirr | Island, Inis, Islands, Cultural, Rock

If you need more to do let me know

Thank you mikenie. Yes, we are really excited! Hubs is 100% Irish and has family over there. I believe they are cousins, etc.
mikeinie

Post by mikeinie »

oh, If you head up the Northwest coast, make your way through Donegal and visit Glencolmkill

http://www.holidaylettings.co.uk/pics/1/14360_4.jpg
mikeinie

Post by mikeinie »

jimbo;1115962 wrote: suzy and i are going to irleland also in may i think :-6:-6

the last time i went everyone was very friendly :-6:-6

and this is for you:

http://my247.com.au/247venue_images/681 ... sion-2.jpg
Mustang

Post by Mustang »

Well good for you Ducky! Hope you enjoy your trip and one last thing when your in the air and see a flock of ducks heading for the engines DUCK. :yh_rotfl Just kidding with ya hope you have a great time. :)
sunny104

Post by sunny104 »

how exciting, you'll love it!! Mike and Dr. G pretty much covered all the best places to see and do.

as far as meals you could just go for the pubs, most serve lunch/dinner and it's a cozy, relaxing atmosphere. :yh_shamrk or you could eat at McD's, Burger King, KFC, etc........:thinking: :wah:
CARLA

Post by CARLA »

Can I come??? :D Sounds like a great trip enjoy..!! :-6
ALOHA!!

MOTTO TO LIVE BY:

"Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, chocolate in one hand, champagne in the other, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming.

WOO HOO!!, what a ride!!!"

Odie

Post by Odie »

CARLA;1116009 wrote: Can I come??? :D Sounds like a great trip enjoy..!! :-6

only if she takes me with her!:sneaky::yh_rotfl:yh_rotfl
qsducks

Post by qsducks »

sunny104;1116003 wrote: how exciting, you'll love it!! Mike and Dr. G pretty much covered all the best places to see and do.

as far as meals you could just go for the pubs, most serve lunch/dinner and it's a cozy, relaxing atmosphere. :yh_shamrk or you could eat at McD's, Burger King, KFC, etc........:thinking: :wah:

Think we'll stick to the pubs. No fast food:lips:
qsducks

Post by qsducks »

CARLA;1116009 wrote: Can I come??? :D Sounds like a great trip enjoy..!! :-6

My hubs has rellys in Donegal and his grandparents were right off the boat and from Creeshla (don't know the spelling).
Chezzie

Post by Chezzie »

Wow Ducks, im jealous...Never been to Ireland even though my fathers family were from Donegal..Id love to go. You will have a fantastic time :-6
qsducks

Post by qsducks »

Chezzie;1116245 wrote: Wow Ducks, im jealous...Never been to Ireland even though my fathers family were from Donegal..Id love to go. You will have a fantastic time :-6

I think KE's fam is also from Donegal. Alot of Irish people here are from Donegal...we have a huge population in a town near us with peeps from Ireland. Wouldn't it be a scream if you & my hubs were related?:wah:
Chezzie

Post by Chezzie »

qsducks;1116266 wrote: I think KE's fam is also from Donegal. Alot of Irish people here are from Donegal...we have a huge population in a town near us with peeps from Ireland. Wouldn't it be a scream if you & my hubs were related?:wah:

*uck a duck :-2 :yh_rotfl:yh_rotfl:yh_rotfl:yh_rotfl
qsducks

Post by qsducks »

Chezzie;1116273 wrote: *uck a duck :-2 :yh_rotfl:yh_rotfl:yh_rotfl:yh_rotfl

Hey, I thought you were posh:yh_rotfl
chonsigirl

Post by chonsigirl »

Wow, you will have loads of fun!
AussiePam

Post by AussiePam »

Great advice from Galbers and Mike!!! You'll have a fabulous time, Duckie!!
"Life is too short to ski with ugly men"

mrsK

Post by mrsK »

You are living my dream Ducky.

I want to get to Ireland still saving for that one.

I hope at the end of this year ,we will see.:-6
It's nice to be important,but more important to be nice.
qsducks

Post by qsducks »

I think it would be awesome to meet up with some FG'rs from Ireland:-6
Kathy Ellen

Post by Kathy Ellen »

Oh Ducky, You are a lucky girl:wah: WIsh that I could have met you there. Hopefully, I'll be going next summer.:-6
Nomad

Post by Nomad »

No youre not.
I AM AWESOME MAN
qsducks

Post by qsducks »

Nomad;1122491 wrote: No youre not.

Sorry Nomi, didn't get you a ticket:wah:. You could always disguise yourself as a stewardess.
Queen_of_Hearts

Post by Queen_of_Hearts »

Im so jealous of you! i hope that you have an amazing time. Okay, sorry to jump on this thread, but I'm heading to Ireland myself. But im going for St. Patrick's day (my birthday, yay!) in 2010. Were flying into Dublin and staying about a 9 days. Any recommendations? i know you say Dublin isnt the best place to visit in Ireland, but its something my friend and i have always wanted to do.
mikeinie

Post by mikeinie »

Queen_of_Hearts;1122630 wrote: Im so jealous of you! i hope that you have an amazing time. Okay, sorry to jump on this thread, but I'm heading to Ireland myself. But im going for St. Patrick's day (my birthday, yay!) in 2010. Were flying into Dublin and staying about a 9 days. Any recommendations? i know you say Dublin isnt the best place to visit in Ireland, but its something my friend and i have always wanted to do.

It depends on what you want, if it is travel around and see the nature sights of Ireland the West is where to go, if you are coming over for St Patrick’s Day to party then Dublin is absolutely the right place to be. And there is lots of great places to see all around the Dublin area.

There is loads to do and see, what are you interested in?
Queen_of_Hearts

Post by Queen_of_Hearts »

Well i'm not going to lie. My friend is going for the drinking and guys (she cant help it. lol), but myself. I'm a huge history nut. i would love to see rustic pubs maybe some castles if theirs any near by. Here's another question. i read that you have to be over 25 to rent a car, so we figured we just walk everywhere or take a cab. Now my aunt who went to Ireland said that getting a cab is super hard in the city...that true?
mikeinie

Post by mikeinie »

Queen_of_Hearts;1122646 wrote: Well i'm not going to lie. My friend is going for the drinking and guys (she cant help it. lol), but myself. I'm a huge history nut. i would love to see rustic pubs maybe some castles if theirs any near by. Here's another question. i read that you have to be over 25 to rent a car, so we figured we just walk everywhere or take a cab. Now my aunt who went to Ireland said that getting a cab is super hard in the city...that true?

Taxis: not anymore, easy to get.

Lots to see around double and a semi-OK transport system to get around. You can also get trips to see things.

One thing you need to see in Ireland if you have the time (it would be a day trip from Dublin, tour and come back). Newgrange: It is older than the Pyramids. Here is a link.

Dublin is right for you, loads of history, tourist stuff, pubs, nightclubs and all that goes with it.

St. Patrick ’s Day is a big festival in Dublin now with parades and street concerts, fireworks. You will have a great time.

Links:

Newgrange

Newgrange Ireland - Megalithic Passage Tomb - World Heritage Site

Temple Bar Dublin

Temple Bar, Co Dublin

Viking Splash Tour

Viking Splash - Welcome

Book of Kells: Dublin

Book of Kells - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

St Patrick's Day festival

Official St. Patrick's Festival 2009, Thursday 12th - Tuesday 17th March Dublin, Ireland
Kindle

Post by Kindle »

If I may ask, what's the fare to Ireland from the states?

I see from my hubby's iteniary that he's paying $714.69 USD to fly next week via Continental to Rome and on to Venice and back to Cleveland. If he'd be there more than a week I'd be tempted to go too.

"Out, damned spot! out, I say!"

- William Shakespeare, Macbeth, 5.1
mikeinie

Post by mikeinie »

Kindle;1122670 wrote: If I may ask, what's the fare to Ireland from the states?

I see from my hubby's iteniary that he's paying $714.69 USD to fly next week via Continental to Rome and on to Venice and back to Cleveland. If he'd be there more than a week I'd be tempted to go too.

Check out this web site for Aerlingus, you can get great prices:

they had a sale this month, I could have gotten a return flight to San Fransisco for €479.00.

Aer Lingus- cheap flights, hotels, car hire, & travel insurance
mikeinie

Post by mikeinie »

If you are going to be travelling around and seeing historical stuff one good way to save money is getting a heritage card. One card get you and a couple of adults into a lot of places.

I have had one of these for years and when ever we travel around Ireland we get into see places.

Heritage Ireland
Kindle

Post by Kindle »

mikeinie;1122674 wrote: Check out this web site for Aerlingus, you can get great prices:

they had a sale this month, I could have gotten a return flight to San Fransisco for €479.00.

Aer Lingus- cheap flights, hotels, car hire, & travel insurance

Thanks. Nice prices here.

April 1 thru June 15 - $245 each way

June 16 thru Aug 23 - $329 each way

I hope Ducks checks out these rates

qsducks

Post by qsducks »

Queen_of_Hearts;1122630 wrote: Im so jealous of you! i hope that you have an amazing time. Okay, sorry to jump on this thread, but I'm heading to Ireland myself. But im going for St. Patrick's day (my birthday, yay!) in 2010. Were flying into Dublin and staying about a 9 days. Any recommendations? i know you say Dublin isnt the best place to visit in Ireland, but its something my friend and i have always wanted to do.

Read back Q and you will see the fab places Galbally & Mikeine posted. I've got a traveling book all about it. The pics are breathtaking.
qsducks

Post by qsducks »

Kindle;1122677 wrote: Thanks. Nice prices here.

April 1 thru June 15 - $245 each way

June 16 thru Aug 23 - $329 each way

I hope Ducks checks out these rates

We got tix for $199 each back & forth. Oh we had an insider look into the prices.;)
Odie

Post by Odie »

wow, with all this help, your going to have one heck of a vacation!:guitarist:guitarist
qsducks

Post by qsducks »

Odie;1122714 wrote: wow, with all this help, your going to have one heck of a vacation!:guitarist:guitarist

So much work to get the passports situated, etc. Working on that this weekend. Got the birth certificates in order and now have to get SSN, my head hurts:thinking::-5
mikeinie

Post by mikeinie »

and PM me just before you come over, maybe I will be able to take you out for a pint. :yh_shamrk
Odie

Post by Odie »

mikeinie;1122721 wrote: and PM me just before you come over, maybe I will be able to take you out for a pint. :yh_shamrk

I wanna come to!:(
qsducks

Post by qsducks »

mikeinie;1122721 wrote: and PM me just before you come over, maybe I will be able to take you out for a pint. :yh_shamrk

I could text you instead. I'm bringing my cell phone:wah: Gawd, another thing I have to do.....:p Would love to meet up with fellow FG'rs over there. Was telling hubs the other day that I'm getting loads of info from friends who live in Ireland.
Kindle

Post by Kindle »

qsducks;1122694 wrote: We got tix for $199 each back & forth. Oh we had an insider look into the prices.;)

Who are you flying with?

qsducks

Post by qsducks »

Kindle;1122771 wrote: Who are you flying with?

family
Kindle

Post by Kindle »

qsducks;1122773 wrote: family

the airlines Ducks, the airlines.................. :yh_rotfl :yh_rotfl :yh_rotfl

Mustang

Post by Mustang »

qsducks;1122773 wrote: family

:yh_rotfl Quack, quack! :wah:

I hope you have a great time! :-6
qsducks

Post by qsducks »

Mustang;1122778 wrote: :yh_rotfl Quack, quack! :wah:

I hope you have a great time! :-6

Right now we are going through the passport stage...man, they need so much info.:mad:
Mustang

Post by Mustang »

qsducks;1122782 wrote: Right now we are going through the passport stage...man, they need so much info.:mad:

Yes they do. Want you life history to go anywhere outside the U.S.

And they aren't cheap for a whole family either.
qsducks

Post by qsducks »

Mustang;1122793 wrote: Yes they do. Want you life history to go anywhere outside the U.S.

And they aren't cheap for a whole family either.

I've heard over $85 bucks for each one! Ouch. Idgie was telling me that they are getting passports just to into Canada! At least we got a break on the tix. We have to go with the younger kidlets & do the whole process:lips:
Mustang

Post by Mustang »

qsducks;1122803 wrote: I've heard over $85 bucks for each one! Ouch. Idgie was telling me that they are getting passports just to into Canada! At least we got a break on the tix. We have to go with the younger kidlets & do the whole process:lips:

Maybe your hubby will be working overtime to cover all the expenses. :p Hey, what the heck ya don't travel like that everyday. :-6

Return to “Travel Vacation”