Honesty on the Web?

General discussion area for all topics not covered in the other forums.
Hope6

Honesty on the Web?

Post by Hope6 »

I always heard the saying honesty is the best policy, but does that apply to cyberspace as well?

should it be a free for all to say anything we want be it true or not or do we own some responsibility to try to be honest?

i know some folks will fudge a little on what they look like or their age or weight, or their job but some go as far as to say they're the opposite gender from what they really are or about their marital status etc.

is this okay? :-3
Clodhopper

Honesty on the Web?

Post by Clodhopper »

i know some folks will fudge a little on what they look like or their age or weight, or their job but some go as far as to say they're the opposite gender from what they really are or about their marital status etc.

is this okay?

Not in my book. Tell the truth or say nothing.

I'm not going to get all het up if someone shaves a few pounds off their weight, but if they pretend to be the opposite sex, or a different nationality, or to have a much better job than they do, then I don't want to know them.
The crowd: "Yes! We are all individuals!"

Lone voice: "I'm not."
qsducks

Honesty on the Web?

Post by qsducks »

Clodhopper;1145020 wrote: Not in my book. Tell the truth or say nothing.

I'm not going to get all het up if someone shaves a few pounds off their weight, but if they pretend to be the opposite sex, or a different nationality, or to have a much better job than they do, then I don't want to know them.

Sounds like a former member who's been banned several times off the FG.:wah:
Hope6

Honesty on the Web?

Post by Hope6 »

Clodhopper;1145020 wrote: Not in my book. Tell the truth or say nothing.

i agree, its alright to fudge a little maybe about your age or weight or appearance, but when you start saying your not married when you are, or that you're a man when actually your a woman, thats a whole other matter!
Carolly

Honesty on the Web?

Post by Carolly »

Hope6;1145039 wrote: i agree, its alright to fudge a little maybe about your age or weight or appearance, but when you start saying your not married when you are, or that you're a man when actually your a woman, thats a whole other matter!I know where your coming from Hope and every word you say here I warned you about ages ago.I learnt the hard way once.People sometimes dont listen to advice and have to find out for themselves which is fair enough.....but should never be surprised if they were warned from the start.Most of us will never ever meet on here but most of us if we are friends have had some human contact....some on the cam....some on the phone and some of us know each other so well at times without even that.The Internet can also be a haven though for some "weirdos" and sex pervs and that should never ever be forgotten.
Women are bitchy and predictable ...men are not and that's the key to knowing the truth.
qsducks

Honesty on the Web?

Post by qsducks »

Carolly;1145052 wrote: I know where your coming from Hope and every word you say here I warned you about ages ago.I learnt the hard way once.People sometimes dont listen to advice and have to find out for themselves which is fair enough.....but should never be surprised if they were warned from the start.Most of us will never ever meet on here but most of us if we are friends have had some human contact....some on the cam....some on the phone and some of us know each other so well at times without even that.The Internet can also be a haven though for some "weirdos" and sex pervs and that should never ever be forgotten.

I hear you loud & clear cuz you warned me of the banned weirdo she/he freak. and I dumped that perv right off my list.
kazalala

Honesty on the Web?

Post by kazalala »

I have nothing to hide so i have nothing to lie about:thinking: My pic is on here so i cant lie about my weight or age:yh_rotfl and i have spoken to a couple of people off here on the phone too so they know im deffo a female:yh_rotfland i dont care if people judge me on my job/lack of or whatever they deem to judge me on,,, thats theri problem not mine:D

But yea i have been on the net a few years and met a few liars:sneaky:

FOC THREAD PART1

In the end, we will remember not the words of our enemies, but the silence of our friends.

Martin Luther King Jr.
Bryn Mawr
Site Admin

Honesty on the Web?

Post by Bryn Mawr »

Hope6;1145008 wrote: I always heard the saying honesty is the best policy, but does that apply to cyberspace as well?

should it be a free for all to say anything we want be it true or not or do we own some responsibility to try to be honest?

Honesty is not just the best policy, it is the only policy.

If you become known as a liar then you can never regain your reputation - no-one will ever trust a word you say on any subject.

That is why it is one thing to post a derogatory opinion about a person but a far more serious matter to accuse somebody of dishonesty.
OpenMind

Honesty on the Web?

Post by OpenMind »

Honesty is always the right way forward. Unfortunately, on and off cyberspace, there are many dishonest people. But I like to believe that the majority of people in the world are basically honest.
Carolly

Honesty on the Web?

Post by Carolly »

qsducks;1145057 wrote: I hear you loud & clear cuz you warned me of the banned weirdo she/he freak. and I dumped that perv right off my list.Im talking in general Ducky....a screen can hide so much but saying that I also have to say I have met some people that have become very dear to me.......very dear.:-4
Women are bitchy and predictable ...men are not and that's the key to knowing the truth.
minks

Honesty on the Web?

Post by minks »

tis a shame folks have to lie about themselves...

I say honesty is the best policy.

Why hide who you are?

However on that note, one also has to beware of the liars out there and be careful whom the choose to befriend and confide in, the net is far to public of a place to put secrets up onto.
�You only live once, but if you do it right, once is enough.�

― Mae West
Chezzie

Honesty on the Web?

Post by Chezzie »

ok ok you rumbled me:o

So sorry but the long days and nights trucking leave me lonely:sneaky:

Love Bernard:yh_rotfl:yh_rotfl:yh_rotfl
Lon

Honesty on the Web?

Post by Lon »

Hope6;1145008 wrote: I always heard the saying honesty is the best policy, but does that apply to cyberspace as well?

Honesty of course is always the best policy, but to expect it to exist en toto on the internet would be foolish and naive. The net allows many people to appear as somebody else, to fabricate, lie, conceal and cheat. For many, to take on another personality is exciting. People should in my opinion be free to say what they wish on the internet. As readers of internet writings we have to decide the veracity of what we hear and read and make a decision. I believe absolutely nothing at first until a can get verification. I have a Blog, I have posted my picture and pictures of family and friends, places I have been, things I have done. But----do you know for sure that it's really me? Is what I have posted really true?

THOUGHTS AND TRAVELS
Chezzie

Honesty on the Web?

Post by Chezzie »

Lon;1145111 wrote: Honesty of course is always the best policy, but to expect it to exist en toto on the internet would be foolish and naive. The net allows many people to appear as somebody else, to fabricate, lie, conceal and cheat. For many, to take on another personality is exciting. People should in my opinion be free to say what they wish on the internet. As readers of internet writings we have to decide the veracity of what we hear and read and make a decision. I believe absolutely nothing at first until a can get verification. I have a Blog, I have posted my picture and pictures of family and friends, places I have been, things I have done. But----do you know for sure that it's really me? Is what I have posted really true?

THOUGHTS AND TRAVELS

we know your really a fruit n veg tycoon Lon...or should I say Proff Plum :yh_rotfl
minks

Honesty on the Web?

Post by minks »

Lon;1145111 wrote: Honesty of course is always the best policy, but to expect it to exist en toto on the internet would be foolish and naive. The net allows many people to appear as somebody else, to fabricate, lie, conceal and cheat. For many, to take on another personality is exciting. People should in my opinion be free to say what they wish on the internet. As readers of internet writings we have to decide the veracity of what we hear and read and make a decision. I believe absolutely nothing at first until a can get verification. I have a Blog, I have posted my picture and pictures of family and friends, places I have been, things I have done. But----do you know for sure that it's really me? Is what I have posted really true?

THOUGHTS AND TRAVELS

hmmmm Jives???? sorry I just could not resist that

― Mae West
along-for-the-ride

Honesty on the Web?

Post by along-for-the-ride »

Honesty is a gift you give to your friends because you trust them. Everything I have ever posted about myself is the truth. :)
Life is a Highway. Let's share the Commute.
Odie

Honesty on the Web?

Post by Odie »

Honesty really, is the only way to do it, or don't do it at all!

There are no reasons for lie's, now one may have to stretch the truth as in some things really are personal IF questioned. I am certainly not going to tell the world of everything that has happened to me, or things I have done over the years...as its not their business nor concern.

I always have and always will be upfront and completely honest.

Those who come on pretending to be a man, are fooling themselves.

They are fakes.....they have no life, so they continue to lie and deceive others, eventually you find out who. Some even post pics of themselves, when its not even them.........so heed caution until you really know someone.

You have seen my pic, yes I'm a female.

a lot of my friends here have my address and home phone number.

...and I think my story with Qadesh has made you realize, yup, this is Joan you are talking to.
Life is just to short for drama.
Oscar Namechange

Honesty on the Web?

Post by Oscar Namechange »

I have always been quite happy to post up any pic to prove what i say and i shall be boring you all soon with before and after pic's of my yard :wah:

Thanks to the media who have nothing better to write about some days, i have been able to post reports of my 'spot of bother' of late and i shall continue to bore you as things develope :wah:

Really, no-one knows if some-one is being honest on a site. We can all posts pics of recent life on sites but any-one can make up all sorts of sob stories about their past to get the sympathy vote.

If the next FG meet does go ahead in my city, i am quite happy for any-one who goes to come to my house for a drink and 'check me out' should they have nothing better to do.

I think with FG i have found everyone to be very honest over time and only some-one with a 'problem' would have reason to dis-believe anyone when they write about themselves. I always take what people write on here as the real versions of their life and i have never had a reason to doubt any-one on here.

Love Gerald.
At the going down of the sun and in the morning, we will remember them. R.L. Binyon
Milly

Honesty on the Web?

Post by Milly »

I've known of a male before who posed as a female, quite freaky!..

I've met cyber friends before on another forum, so they know me and I've spoken to Carol on the phone from here as well as posted pics of myself, not because I feel i've anything to prove though, I don't... I just like seeing who I'm chatting with and think others will appreciate the same from me :)
Click here to read FOC thread part 1

Betty Boop

Honesty on the Web?

Post by Betty Boop »

oscar;1145266 wrote: I have always been quite happy to post up any pic to prove what i say and i shall be boring you all soon with before and after pic's of my yard :wah:

Thanks to the media who have nothing better to write about some days, i have been able to post reports of my 'spot of bother' of late and i shall continue to bore you as things develope :wah:

Really, no-one knows if some-one is being honest on a site. We can all posts pics of recent life on sites but any-one can make up all sorts of sob stories about their past to get the sympathy vote.

If the next FG meet does go ahead in my city, i am quite happy for any-one who goes to come to my house for a drink and 'check me out' should they have nothing better to do.

I think with FG i have found everyone to be very honest over time and only some-one with a 'problem' would have reason to dis-believe anyone when they write about themselves. I always take what people write on here as the real versions of their life and i have never had a reason to doubt any-one on here.

Love Gerald.

Psssstt.....FG Meet no 4, The house of Gerald ;)
Carolly

Honesty on the Web?

Post by Carolly »

Milly;1145279 wrote: I've known of a male before who posed as a female, quite freaky!..

I've met cyber friends before on another forum, so they know me and I've spoken to Carol on the phone from here as well as posted pics of myself, not because I feel i've anything to prove though, I don't... I just like seeing who I'm chatting with and think others will appreciate the same from me :)Yes Milly I have spoken to you and very nice you sound to....just as I have Chez....Kaz....Odie....Kathy.....Hope.....Ducky....Kay.....Ali....Gill......Spot....Helen.......Abbs....Fuzzy (about 3 names ago lol) some others I cant remember right now and can confirm they all sound great;):D
Odie

Honesty on the Web?

Post by Odie »

Carolly;1145292 wrote: Yes Milly I have spoken to you and very nice you sound to....just as I have Chez....Kaz....Odie....Kathy.....Hope.....Ducky....Kay.....Ali....Gill......Spot....Helen.......Abbs....Fuzzy (about 3 names ago lol) some others I cant remember right now and can confirm they all sound great;):D

awwwwwwwwww fanks babe, you know I loves ya.:-4
Carolly

Honesty on the Web?

Post by Carolly »

Odie;1145293 wrote: awwwwwwwwww fanks babe, you know I loves ya.:-4You have an accent I just love Mrs;):-4
Odie

Honesty on the Web?

Post by Odie »

Carolly;1145294 wrote: You have an accent I just love Mrs;):-4

Canadians don't have accents!....wonder why everyone says this?

but you, posh lady does, and I love your English accent!:-4
Carolly

Honesty on the Web?

Post by Carolly »

Odie;1145296 wrote: Canadians don't have accents!....wonder why everyone says this?

but you, posh lady does, and I love your English accent!:-4You have a an accent fgs:-5 and a great one:D Actually its strange how the voices dont go with the words you see them type here.....if that makes any sense.....but its true......if anybody can understand that.....well I know what I mean:wah::D
Milly

Honesty on the Web?

Post by Milly »

Carolly;1145292 wrote: Yes Milly I have spoken to you and very nice you sound to....just as I have Chez....Kaz....Odie....Kathy.....Hope.....Ducky....Kay.....Ali....Gill......Spot....Helen.......Abbs....Fuzzy (about 3 names ago lol) some others I cant remember right now and can confirm they all sound great;):D

lol... Right gabby annie aintcha! :wah: (my mum used to call me that wen I was a kid, cos I talked loads! haha)

Hope6

Honesty on the Web?

Post by Hope6 »

great posts you guys and like some of you have said, you can put a picture up and it can be anybody, but like Carol says we have spoken on the phone so she knows i am definately a girl! and with my accent theres no hiding where i'm from either! :D

Carol btw has a absolutely beautiful voice! :-4
Odie

Honesty on the Web?

Post by Odie »

Carolly;1145301 wrote: You have a an accent fgs:-5 and a great one:D Actually its strange how the voices dont go with the words you see them type here.....if that makes any sense.....but its true......if anybody can understand that.....well I know what I mean:wah::D

oh gosh yes, its like hearing Hugh Laurie talk with his English accent, sometimes its hard to understand him...then hearing him do his voice as Dr. Gregory House, which his voice is then American............... wow, what a difference.

funny how we all can understand each other here.:-4
Odie

Honesty on the Web?

Post by Odie »

Hope6;1145305 wrote: great posts you guys and like some of you have said, you can put a picture up and it can be anybody, but like Carol says we have spoken on the phone so she knows i am definately a girl! and with my accent theres no hiding where i'm from either! :D

Carol btw has a absolutely beautiful voice! :-4

oh she does, and she is posh!:-4

its so nice to hear the voices you talk to each day here.:guitarist:guitarist

and yes, I have see people post and its not their pic........so sad they cannot just be themselves.;)
Oscar Namechange

Honesty on the Web?

Post by Oscar Namechange »

Betty Boop;1145288 wrote: Psssstt.....FG Meet no 4, The house of Gerald ;) I'm serious....... It'd be great for you all to come to my humble abode and meet my family for a shin dig.
At the going down of the sun and in the morning, we will remember them. R.L. Binyon
Milly

Honesty on the Web?

Post by Milly »

Hope6;1145305 wrote: Carol btw has a absolutely beautiful voice! :-4

I shall second that Hope :)

Odie

Honesty on the Web?

Post by Odie »

oscar;1145308 wrote: I'm serious....... It'd be great for you all to come to my humble abode and meet my family for a shin dig.

who is paying my way over?:yh_rotfl:yh_rotfl
Milly

Honesty on the Web?

Post by Milly »

Hope6;1145305 wrote: great posts ytteou guys and like some of you have said, you can put a picture up and it can be anybody

What do people gain from doing that though?.... I can't even imagine that it would be an attention thing as the attention from a fake pic wouldn't be for them at all :-3....

I just don't understand people who try to dupe others in this way... fake pics, saying they're from a different country, registering under another name in the hope of not being recognised by members they already know!.... I mean 9 times out of 10 the truth comes out anyway so it all seems pointless.... I actually feel quite sorry for people who do those sort of things.... they must resort to that kind of stuff because they have such sad lives...... :(

Hope6

Honesty on the Web?

Post by Hope6 »

Milly;1145327 wrote: What do people gain from doing that though?.... I can't even imagine that it would be an attention thing as the attention from a fake pic wouldn't be for them at all :-3....

I just don't understand people who try to dupe others in this way... fake pics, saying they're from a different country, registering under another name in the hope of not being recognised by members they already know!.... I mean 9 times out of 10 the truth comes out anyway so it all seems pointless.... I actually feel quite sorry for people who do those sort of things.... they must resort to that kind of stuff because they have such sad lives...... :(

they have no life and they enjoy playing with people! :(
Odie

Honesty on the Web?

Post by Odie »

JAB;1145443 wrote:

It is sad. The question I want to know is why? Why does someone want to knowingly mislead someone, a friend they made under false pretenses? Why play with people's feelings like that? Do they have such a low opinion of themselves that they need to make stuff up in order for someone to like them? Why not be yourself and allow others to know the "real" you vs. a character you've created in some 1-act play.

Boggles the mind. :rolleyes:

some do it for kicks, some are so bored with their lives they pretend to be someone they are not......they have no self-esteem or confidence.

I have seen folks post a pic of themselves...and it is not them....they are trying and begging for attention........it is sad when you think about it.
Odie

Honesty on the Web?

Post by Odie »

JAB;1145482 wrote: It is sad.

btw, is that a real or fake flower in your AV? :wah:

did you not see Odie's garden thread?

yes, they are real, they are one of my daylillys.
Odie

Honesty on the Web?

Post by Odie »

JAB;1145495 wrote: Just kidding Odie and no, I haven't made my way to yer garden yet. On my way! :)

I know your joking!:yh_rotfl:yh_rotfl
Amber Sun

Honesty on the Web?

Post by Amber Sun »

THOUGHTS AND TRAVELS

So maybe you don't have nice long legs and you aren't handsome? :thinking:

Your saying that you may be short, fat and ugly?:confused:

Maybe even a (gasp) woman?:-2

:D:D:-6
Odie

Honesty on the Web?

Post by Odie »

JAB;1145507 wrote:

you did post your tulips there fgs!:yh_rotfl:yh_rotfl
Amber Sun

Honesty on the Web?

Post by Amber Sun »

Why would anyone lie here in FG about their weight, age, or marital status ? I could see it happening if someone was looking for a dating room or a 'heavy breathing' experience, (although I don't know how a person would manage that over the internet).:thinking: As far a 'changing sexes perhaps he/she is really a he/she but with so much homophobia maybe they don't want to say what they are? I have just kind of accepted what everyone in this room has said as truth because I can't see a logical reason for anyone to lie. Like I stated if this was a sexually oriented room, then perhaps, but all I've seen here is people having fun when it does kind of get suggestive.

Gee Hope, maybe I should have asked you first exactly what you were talking about.
minks

Honesty on the Web?

Post by minks »

Amber Sun;1145520 wrote: Why would anyone lie here in FG about their weight, age, or marital status ? I could see it happening if someone was looking for a dating room or a 'heavy breathing' experience, (although I don't know how a person would manage that over the internet).:thinking: As far a 'changing sexes perhaps he/she is really a he/she but with so much homophobia maybe they don't want to say what they are? I have just kind of accepted what everyone in this room has said as truth because I can't see a logical reason for anyone to lie. Like I stated if this was a sexually oriented room, then perhaps, but all I've seen here is people having fun when it does kind of get suggestive.

Gee Hope, maybe I should have asked you first exactly what you were talking about.

I was once mistaken for a 5 foot 7 inch blond biker guy who weighed 200+lbs ahahahahahahahahahahahah

― Mae West
Amber Sun

Honesty on the Web?

Post by Amber Sun »

minks;1145531 wrote: I was once mistaken for a 5 foot 7 inch blond biker guy who weighed 200+lbs ahahahahahahahahahahahah

:yh_rotfl:yh_rotfl:yh_rotfl...How did that happen? It sounds more like a description of Santa Clause than a biker.
minks

Honesty on the Web?

Post by minks »

Amber Sun;1145537 wrote: :yh_rotfl:yh_rotfl:yh_rotfl...How did that happen? It sounds more like a description of Santa Clause than a biker.

oh brother sadly it is a true story, I was taking a trip across the border with a biker friend of mine and when we approached customs he said you watch they will come out with their hands on their guns because of my "record" I said ok whatever... well they hauled both he and I into the customs office and proceded to " process" my friends border crossing card and the idiot customs officer took my name from my passport and accidentally transposed it onto my biker buddy's border crossing card and for about 40 minutes in time I was this burly biker with a nasty past .... pretty funny, good bloody thing it got cleared up before I had to cross back into Canada.

― Mae West
sunny104

Honesty on the Web?

Post by sunny104 »

what I really don't get is when you hear of people using fake or old pictures on dating sites :wah: like the people you meet aren't going to notice when they meet you. :rolleyes:

Anyway, I don't play games in real life or on the net, this is me, take it or leave it. :p And I've met people from FG so I really am me! :D

Return to “General Chit Chat”