internet changing our brains

General discussion area for all topics not covered in the other forums.
Flora

Post by Flora »

I saw a brief segment on the news last night about concerns that the internet will decrease children's ability to interact normally, and respond within normal conversation.

The basis of this, was things like facebook, where you can read a message from someone, and you have as long as you like to think of your answer, therefore, you don't have to be quick witted, or even say what first springs to mind, which would be the truth.

I agree with this to an extent, and wonder about other people thoughts?
"How people treat you is their karma, how you react is yours."
qsducks

Post by qsducks »

Flora;1145058 wrote: I saw a brief segment on the news last night about concerns that the internet will decrease children's ability to interact normally, and respond within normal conversation.

The basis of this, was things like facebook, where you can read a message from someone, and you have as long as you like to think of your answer, therefore, you don't have to be quick witted, or even say what first springs to mind, which would be the truth.

They are also saying that kids can't write well with a simple pen or pencil because they are always typing away.
Flora

Post by Flora »

And spelling too, as they text so much, and use abbreviations.

Is it a fair tradeoff for all the other skills they have? They get taught to touch type I think, which is pretty great. I can type fast, but I have to look at the keys, and I make lots of mistakes, so I'm actually pretty slow.
qsducks

Post by qsducks »

Flora;1145072 wrote: And spelling too, as they text so much, and use abbreviations.

Is it a fair tradeoff for all the other skills they have? They get taught to touch type I think, which is pretty great. I can type fast, but I have to look at the keys, and I make lots of mistakes, so I'm actually pretty slow.

I used to be a secretary and can type really fast without looking at the keys.
Flora

Post by Flora »

It's a good skill to have...if you had to choose between being able to write well with a pen,or being able to touch type, which would you choose?
OpenMind

Post by OpenMind »

The other detrimental effect I have recently read about somewhere is that children are losing the ability to concentrate for longer than a few minutes at a time. They look then switch to something else.
qsducks

Post by qsducks »

Flora;1145078 wrote: It's a good skill to have...if you had to choose between being able to write well with a pen,or being able to touch type, which would you choose?

Been trained at both for years. My penmenship is neat & legible. Can't say the same for my kids though. Very messy handwriting.
Lon

Post by Lon »

Flora;1145058 wrote: I saw a brief segment on the news last night about concerns that the internet will decrease children's ability to interact normally, and respond within normal conversation.

Let's include cell phone usage and texting. Young people it seems to me are not only experiencing a trend to poor verbal communication, but written communication is almost incomprehensible. They tend to talk fast without inflections.
OpenMind

Post by OpenMind »

Flora;1145078 wrote: It's a good skill to have...if you had to choose between being able to write well with a pen,or being able to touch type, which would you choose?

Being able to write well with a pen is important I think. There's nothing like a handwritten letter from a family member or a friend. It doesn't appear to be an important skill anymore though, not while there are handheld digital notepads available.

Likewise, I think text messaging on phones is going to change the language quite radically. I wouldn't be surprised to see words like 'l8' appear in dictionaries a 100 years down the line.
OpenMind

Post by OpenMind »

Lon;1145090 wrote: Let's include cell phone usage and texting. Young people it seems to me are not only experiencing a trend to poor verbal communication, but written communication is almost incomprehensible. They tend to talk fast without inflections.

gr8 minds fink alike, Lon.:wah:
Flora

Post by Flora »

OpenMind;1145092 wrote: Being able to write well with a pen is important I think. There's nothing like a handwritten letter from a family member or a friend. It doesn't appear to be an important skill anymore though, not while there are handheld digital notepads available.

Likewise, I think text messaging on phones is going to change the language quite radically. I wouldn't be surprised to see words like 'l8' appear in dictionaries a 100 years down the line.

Someone I met was very surprised that I still use a paper diary. I much prefer a pen and paper diary to record appointments and arrangements. I thought this would still be common?
OpenMind

Post by OpenMind »

Flora;1145098 wrote: Someone I met was very surprised that I still use a paper diary. I much prefer a pen and paper diary to record appointments and arrangements. I thought this would still be common?

I guess this is the price of 'progress'. Every generation has something to lament.
minks

Post by minks »

qsducks;1145080 wrote: Been trained at both for years. My penmenship is neat & legible. Can't say the same for my kids though. Very messy handwriting.

Ditto for me too, I was trained many years ago as a manual draftsperson, meaning I had to do "letter perfect" printing. I too can type without looking at the keys.

I don't know that it is a bad thing other than the spelling issue with kids. Now that I blame on the schools well at least here. Myself and my children were taught at early ages to take thoughts from your head and put them immediately onto paper, spelling and grammer will come later. Well from my time in school that was true we did learn spelling and grammer. As for my kids and the introduction of the net and texting etc I find their spelling offensive.

Do u no wat i meen. Like OMG it sux :-5:yh_rotfl
�You only live once, but if you do it right, once is enough.�

― Mae West
Flora

Post by Flora »

It's more of an effort for me to write abbreviations. Sometimes my text messages are 3 messages long. Only then do I go back and change "to" to "2" etc. But I guess that one could mean that a lot of kids would forget that there is "two", "to" "too".
minks

Post by minks »

Flora;1145109 wrote: It's more of an effort for me to write abbreviations. Sometimes my text messages are 3 messages long. Only then do I go back and change "to" to "2" etc. But I guess that one could mean that a lot of kids would forget that there is "two", "to" "too".

oh yes indeed and the through, threw and thru
�You only live once, but if you do it right, once is enough.�

― Mae West
OpenMind

Post by OpenMind »

Flora;1145109 wrote: It's more of an effort for me to write abbreviations. Sometimes my text messages are 3 messages long. Only then do I go back and change "to" to "2" etc. But I guess that one could mean that a lot of kids would forget that there is "two", "to" "too".

I'm the same as you, Flora. But I don't go back and shorten it. And I only use one finger to tap out all the letters.
along-for-the-ride

Post by along-for-the-ride »

I agree with alot that has been mentioned. I don't receive letters from my adult children. They call me on the phone. However, I used to write my mother letters regulary when I was younger and she was still alive. There is something special about a hand-written letter from a loved one. Something to have in your hand and to read over and over again.
Life is a Highway. Let's share the Commute.
gmc

Post by gmc »

swings and roundabouts, it's like anything else there's good and bad. Kids also learn to take in information very quickly and have access to a view of the world and information that two generations go would have seemed fantastic. I know adults that are incapable of following a film plot just as I know teenagers that can't either it's down to practice. TV and films get kids interested in things they wouldn't normally have access to or be aware of it's the same with the internet, if you're talking to someone at the other side of the world how they live and think gets interesting.

Ever watch a kid playing a computer game? nothing wrong with the attention span there. Kids learn from the adults around them as well. if the parents are inarticulate and not interested in learning per se at least the internet helps open their eyes to the world outside their own homes.

My handwriting's terrible and it's not because I use a computer all the time. Indeed it's so bad and i so lack in artistic talent I'm sure it's significant in some meaningful way. I have to sit three hour written exams, which annoys the life out of me, in this day and age it is unrealistic, how many people hand write reports nowadays? I don't see why I should have to spend time practising my handwriting when I so seldom use it in a normal working day. Even in the old days before computers if you didn't have access to books or a need to write on a daily basis you end up losing the skills.

In the Uk there is a group of people now in their forties who were the victims in an experiment in phonetic spelling and are incapable of spelling properly and don't have a sense of when a word doesn't look right. You also have to be literate to use a computer. Personally I would ban spell checkers and make people use dictionaries. Half the time they are wrong anyway.
sunny104

Post by sunny104 »

maybe it's the schools here but my kids write everything just like we did. They do get to go to the computer lab at school a couple of times a week and they only use the computer at home occassionally for games so I think they have the best of both, not too much different to how hubby and I grew up. :)
OpenMind

Post by OpenMind »

I personally think that writing and spelling are essential basic communication skills. It's fine to deviate once these are learnt but a common standard is essential for communicating ideas and concepts, et cetera.
qsducks

Post by qsducks »

Flora;1145098 wrote: Someone I met was very surprised that I still use a paper diary. I much prefer a pen and paper diary to record appointments and arrangements. I thought this would still be common?

I have a calendar on the wall filled with hand written appointments.
Amber Sun

Post by Amber Sun »

gmc;1145589 wrote: swings and roundabouts, it's like anything else there's good and bad. Kids also learn to take in information very quickly and have access to a view of the world and information that two generations go would have seemed fantastic. I know adults that are incapable of following a film plot just as I know teenagers that can't either it's down to practice. TV and films get kids interested in things they wouldn't normally have access to or be aware of it's the same with the internet, if you're talking to someone at the other side of the world how they live and think gets interesting.

Ever watch a kid playing a computer game? nothing wrong with the attention span there. Kids learn from the adults around them as well. if the parents are inarticulate and not interested in learning per se at least the internet helps open their eyes to the world outside their own homes.

My handwriting's terrible and it's not because I use a computer all the time. Indeed it's so bad and i so lack in artistic talent I'm sure it's significant in some meaningful way. I have to sit three hour written exams, which annoys the life out of me, in this day and age it is unrealistic, how many people hand write reports nowadays? I don't see why I should have to spend time practising my handwriting when I so seldom use it in a normal working day. Even in the old days before computers if you didn't have access to books or a need to write on a daily basis you end up losing the skills.

In the Uk there is a group of people now in their forties who were the victims in an experiment in phonetic spelling and are incapable of spelling properly and don't have a sense of when a word doesn't look right. You also have to be literate to use a computer. Personally I would ban spell checkers and make people use dictionaries. Half the time they are wrong anyway.

We had that same thing here in Winnipeg and my two daughters got caught in it. One went to one side of the program and the other got caught on the losing side. Strangely enough as parents we weren't informed of what the school system was doing. Apparently quite a few schools in Winnipeg decided they would try that out. It's a shame really because now there are a great number of individuals who can't write a proper letter.
Nomad

Post by Nomad »

Flora;1145058 wrote: I saw a brief segment on the news last night about concerns that the internet will decrease someones ability to interact normally, and respond within normal conversation.

No question.

Welcome To Forum Garden.
I AM AWESOME MAN
Flora

Post by Flora »

gmc;1145589 wrote:

In the Uk there is a group of people now in their forties who were the victims in an experiment in phonetic spelling and are incapable of spelling properly and don't have a sense of when a word doesn't look right.

What was the experiment? I just googled phonetic spelling! Obviously I know about the A for Alpha thing, but I didn't know it was called that. How did this make the subjects incapable of spelling?
OpenMind

Post by OpenMind »

Flora;1148484 wrote: What was the experiment? I just googled phonetic spelling! Obviously I know about the A for Alpha thing, but I didn't know it was called that. How did this make the subjects incapable of spelling?

With phonetic spelling, the words are spelt as they sound as opposed to as they are actually spelt in the dictionary.
Flora

Post by Flora »

OpenMind;1148486 wrote: With phonetic spelling, the words are spelt as they sound as opposed to as they are actually spelt in the dictionary.

Isn't phonetic spelling just how you go A for Alpha, P for Papa, etc, but still spell it correctly?
OpenMind

Post by OpenMind »

Flora;1148489 wrote: Isn't phonetic spelling just how you go A for Alpha, P for Papa, etc, but still spell it correctly?

That is commonly referred to as the phonetic alphabet which is used for spelling out words over electronic communications systems.

Alpha

Bravo

Charlie

Delta

Echo

Foxtrot

Golf

Hotel

India or indigo

Juliet

Kilo

Lima