First day at uni............

A forum for ForumGardeners to post news about themselves.
Betty Boop

Post by Betty Boop »

Not gone too well, straight after first lecture had a call from my sons school to say he'd tripped and put his tooth through his lip. He's also lost virtually half of one of his front teeth, looks like he's been in the boxing ring too :(
Chezzie

Post by Chezzie »

Betty Boop;1010779 wrote: Not gone too well, straight after first lecture had a call from my sons school to say he'd tripped and put his tooth through his lip. He's also lost virtually half of one of his front teeth, looks like he's been in the boxing ring too :(

Awww Betty:-4

Big hugs to you babe xxXxx

Tomorrow is another day, the mouth heals up real quick fortunately:-4
chonsigirl

Post by chonsigirl »

Oh, what a rough first day for you two! Hugs for a better one tomorrow.:-4
Betty Boop

Post by Betty Boop »

Thanks guys, I'm a bit worried, I found some money in my sons pocket after the 'accident'. It seems the child that was encouraging my son to be doing something that he knew my son wouldn't be very good at, gave him money straight after the event. Seems odd to me.
Chezzie

Post by Chezzie »

Betty Boop;1010793 wrote: Thanks guys, I'm a bit worried, I found some money in my sons pocket after the 'accident'. It seems the child that was encouraging my son to be doing something that he knew my son wouldn't be very good at, gave him money straight after the event. Seems odd to me.

Wait a couple of days and either he may tell you or you will have to ask where the money come from and why?
Bryn Mawr
Site Admin

Post by Bryn Mawr »

Betty Boop;1010779 wrote: Not gone too well, straight after first lecture had a call from my sons school to say he'd tripped and put his tooth through his lip. He's also lost virtually half of one of his front teeth, looks like he's been in the boxing ring too :(

May the damage heal quickly and let you catch up with your studies pronto :-6
Odie

Post by Odie »

OUCH! awe, poor little one!

ice paks for him, how sad!
Life is just to short for drama.
Betty Boop

Post by Betty Boop »

Chezzie;1010798 wrote: Wait a couple of days and either he may tell you or you will have to ask where the money come from and why?

I won't be leaving it I'm afraid, my son is statemented and for health and safety reasons needs to be 'observed' in the playground. This is the second 'incident' since going back in September and it's not good enough.
Omni_Skittles

Post by Omni_Skittles »

Betty Boop;1010779 wrote: Not gone too well, straight after first lecture had a call from my sons school to say he'd tripped and put his tooth through his lip. He's also lost virtually half of one of his front teeth, looks like he's been in the boxing ring too :(I know that sounds like a bad thing but don't be to worried! It'll be a funny story soon. I'm sure if he has good judgment he'll learn....
Smoke signals ftw!
guppy

Post by guppy »

yikes!! sorry about all your worry and the loss of the teeth to your son Betty..:confused:
CARLA

Post by CARLA »

Ouch !! poor little guy I hope it doesn't hurt to bad. The mouth heals fast but the first day he will be so swollen. :(
ALOHA!!

MOTTO TO LIVE BY:

"Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, chocolate in one hand, champagne in the other, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming.

WOO HOO!!, what a ride!!!"

flopstock

Post by flopstock »

Betty Boop;1010817 wrote: I won't be leaving it I'm afraid, my son is statemented and for health and safety reasons needs to be 'observed' in the playground. This is the second 'incident' since going back in September and it's not good enough.

So, is someone not doing their job here?:-2

Hope you two have a better day tomorrow girlie!:-4
I expressly forbid the use of any of my posts anywhere outside of FG (with the exception of the incredibly witty 'get a room already' )posted recently.

Folks who'd like to copy my intellectual work should expect to pay me for it.:-6

mrsK

Post by mrsK »

Poor kid :(

I hope all is well with him now.Shame about the tooth.

How is Mum handling all the pressure,hope all is well with you too.

Can only get better:)
It's nice to be important,but more important to be nice.
Patsy Warnick

Post by Patsy Warnick »

Sounds like a expensive accident / Dare..

Betty - maybe since the school/Playground isn't supervised properly

the school/playgrounds would be responsible for new teeth & ect.

This isn't any different than dropping you toddler off at a day care center - they have your child for hours & are responsible for the safety of each child.

Having this incident - being the 2nd - They'd hear from me.

Somethings wrong - hopefully when your son can talk, he'll explain.?

Good Luck

Patsy
Kathy Ellen

Post by Kathy Ellen »

Ahhhhhh Betty:-4 I'm soooo sorry. Hope you little one is better....that's awful:lips:
abbey

Post by abbey »

I'm sorry to read this Boops, hope he's not hurting too much today. :-4
Milly

Post by Milly »

I think it's a responsible parent that would follow up her concerns..... you do right not to let it go IMO Betty....

Hope your son feels better soon and you get to the bottom of what's going on hun.... x
Click here to read FOC thread part 1

Trunk Monkey

Post by Trunk Monkey »

scouse;1011042 wrote: I think it's a responsible parent that would follow up her concerns..... you do right not to let it go IMO Betty....

Hope your son feels better soon and you get to the bottom of what's going on hun.... x

I agree with you scouse that there needs to be a follow up. I hope your son feels better and what an awful thing to have to go through :(
Chezzie

Post by Chezzie »

Hope you and your lad had a better day today Betty:-4

Did you go into school for answers?
Betty Boop

Post by Betty Boop »

He's had a better day, have spoken to his teacher about the incident and she is investigating. He had to go to a secondary school for a taster day today as well, when I checked that he had cover for the day I was told that he only had cover until lunchtime and maybe I'd better pick him up then. Not impressed, its up to them to sort out cover and take into consideration that a child with aspergers needs company all day for any out of the 'norm' activity. Time to go and see the head and find out what is going on with the fact that neither his teacher or TA seem to know what to expect from a child with aspergers. :mad:
Patsy Warnick

Post by Patsy Warnick »

Betty Boop

This is a serious injury - make them answer & get coverage for new teeth..

Go to the head of the class.

Patsy
Betty Boop

Post by Betty Boop »

Patsy Warnick;1012165 wrote: Betty Boop

This is a serious injury - make them answer & get coverage for new teeth..

Go to the head of the class.

Patsy

It's been investigated and deemed an accident, luckily I don't have to pay for his treatment. He is having the tooth sorted tomorrow morning, the swelling of his lip has now reduced.

I've still to see the special needs co-ordinator to make sure that staff are up to speed with his condition.
Chezzie

Post by Chezzie »

Betty Boop;1014125 wrote: It's been investigated and deemed an accident, luckily I don't have to pay for his treatment. He is having the tooth sorted tomorrow morning, the swelling of his lip has now reduced.

I've still to see the special needs co-ordinator to make sure that staff are up to speed with his condition.

You sound more chirpy hun x:-4
Kathy Ellen

Post by Kathy Ellen »

Good news Betty...glad to here it:-6

Betty Boop

Post by Betty Boop »

Chezzie;1014209 wrote: You sound more chirpy hun x:-4

Thats debatable :wah: its been a hard week, culture shock of uni life, listening to 18 year olds wondering what colour eyeshadow is the best to go with their current outfit :rolleyes:. The general feeling of 'oh my god, what am I doing, did my english tutor really think I could keep up with all these other bright intellectuals, two two hour seminars, two hour long lectures, and expected to partake in four hours of study groups a week, keep a 500 word logbook minimum, and how much reading, creative writing too, oh my, how am I going to fit everything in!' :-1

Along with an extremely anxious son who has been traipsed around all the secondary schools in the area over the course of the week. Off now to an open evening of the one he maybe off to. :driving:
SlipStream

Post by SlipStream »

bad luck tat:(
flopstock

Post by flopstock »

Betty Boop;1014233 wrote: Thats debatable :wah: its been a hard week, culture shock of uni life, listening to 18 year olds wondering what colour eyeshadow is the best to go with their current outfit :rolleyes:. The general feeling of 'oh my god, what am I doing, did my english tutor really think I could keep up with all these other bright intellectuals, two two hour seminars, two hour long lectures, and expected to partake in four hours of study groups a week, keep a 500 word logbook minimum, and how much reading, creative writing too, oh my, how am I going to fit everything in!' :-1

Along with an extremely anxious son who has been traipsed around all the secondary schools in the area over the course of the week. Off now to an open evening of the one he maybe off to. :driving:

You must be a real brainiac BB... do you sit next to spot at meets? :DWhat is secondary school exactly?:thinking:
I expressly forbid the use of any of my posts anywhere outside of FG (with the exception of the incredibly witty 'get a room already' )posted recently.

Folks who'd like to copy my intellectual work should expect to pay me for it.:-6

Betty Boop

Post by Betty Boop »

flopstock;1016939 wrote: You must be a real brainiac BB... do you sit next to spot at meets? :DWhat is secondary school exactly?:thinking:

Not a brainiac at all, although by the end of three years I might be, I now know more stuff about the Bible than I really care to know :wah:

No, I avoid Spot at all costs :p:p

British Children attend Primary School from 4 -11, then they move on to secondary, often affectionally known as 'big school' until they are 16. It's a scary time, they leave their little schools where they know everyone and remain in the same classroom with the same teacher for the day. They then move into bigger schools with different teachers for different subjects and have to move around the school to their lessons. A very daunting thing for a child with Aspergers. :(
Betty Boop

Post by Betty Boop »

Sad news, it would appear that there has been a very sad incident involving a loss of life this evening. Not getting a lot of info at the moment but it would appear that someone couldn't handle the stress of uni. :-1
chonsigirl

Post by chonsigirl »

Oh, that sounds so sad. :-1
Betty Boop

Post by Betty Boop »

I have so much work to do, having compared workloads with a couple of friends studying English at other uni's we appear to be getting twice their amount of workload! I think I've picked the hardest English Degree in the country! :rolleyes::wah:
Betty Boop

Post by Betty Boop »

I have completed the first semester at uni :guitarist:guitarist

Yaaayyy! Never thought I'd make it through at times but I got there! Just an exam next week before starting the second semester. :-6
Bryn Mawr
Site Admin

Post by Bryn Mawr »

Betty Boop;1116100 wrote: I have completed the first semester at uni :guitarist:guitarist

Yaaayyy! Never thought I'd make it through at times but I got there! Just an exam next week before starting the second semester. :-6

Just an exam next week - sounds like the man who jumped off the Empire State :wah:

The very best to you and much respect for carrying it through.
Odie

Post by Odie »

Betty Boop;1116100 wrote: I have completed the first semester at uni :guitarist:guitarist

congrats!:guitarist:guitarist
Life is just to short for drama.
Raven

Post by Raven »

Betty Boop;1014233 wrote: Thats debatable :wah: its been a hard week, culture shock of uni life, listening to 18 year olds wondering what colour eyeshadow is the best to go with their current outfit :rolleyes:. The general feeling of 'oh my god, what am I doing, did my english tutor really think I could keep up with all these other bright intellectuals, two two hour seminars, two hour long lectures, and expected to partake in four hours of study groups a week, keep a 500 word logbook minimum, and how much reading, creative writing too, oh my, how am I going to fit everything in!' :-1

Aw hunny! If I can do it, you can do it!

I totally agree with you about them not understanding behaviourial aspects. Hope your son is healing well! Poor fella. Like he doesnt have enough to deal with!

Hope you are all well!

Hang in there babe!

x
~Quoth the Raven, Nevermore!~
Betty Boop

Post by Betty Boop »

Bryn Mawr;1116113 wrote: Just an exam next week - sounds like the man who jumped off the Empire State :wah:

The very best to you and much respect for carrying it through.

Yeah..... just an exam :D is what the exterior says, the interior meanwhile is thinking YIKES!!!

Thanks Bryn :-6
Betty Boop

Post by Betty Boop »

Thanks, Odie, Jester, Jab and Raven. :-6

I am still seriously wondering what I am doing...

Life is certainly hard at the moment, the children's behaviour is apalling and all over the place, getting the most extreme reactions from my son all the time and it's very wearing. But... it is a whole host of stuff going on, their dad saw them last at the end of december, no phone call or contact with them since :mad: School are pushing him far too hard in preparation for secondary school and meanwhile he is worried sick about the move, they seem unable to grasp the fact that they can't treat like all the other children.
Betty Boop

Post by Betty Boop »

Think of me, snuggled up under the duvet........

Revising for an exam on wednesday :(
Betty Boop

Post by Betty Boop »

Betty Boop;1118547 wrote: Think of me, snuggled up under the duvet........

Revising for an exam on wednesday :(

I passed the exam by the way, ended up writing an essay on a critique I dislike with a passion. Came out feeling it went badly but I still made it through :guitarist:guitarist
Bryn Mawr
Site Admin

Post by Bryn Mawr »

Betty Boop;1148149 wrote: I passed the exam by the way, ended up writing an essay on a critique I dislike with a passion. Came out feeling it went badly but I still made it through :guitarist:guitarist

Sometimes it's the ones you struggle on that come out the best.

Congratulations :-6
Betty Boop

Post by Betty Boop »

Bryn Mawr;1149787 wrote: Sometimes it's the ones you struggle on that come out the best.

Congratulations :-6

Yes, that is so true. Thank you.
Hamster

Post by Hamster »

See I always knew you were proper smart like what I was :wah:

Well done Betty, keep going..when you look back and read this thread as your journey through uni...you can graduate and see how you stuck at it.

I did the Uni thing when all I had to worry about was being like those princesses..so lots of admiration for you :-4:-4:-4
Challenges are opportunities in work clothes.
Betty Boop

Post by Betty Boop »

Hamster;1149809 wrote: See I always knew you were proper smart like what I was :wah:

Well done Betty, keep going..when you look back and read this thread as your journey through uni...you can graduate and see how you stuck at it.

I did the Uni thing when all I had to worry about was being like those princesses..so lots of admiration for you :-4:-4:-4

Thank you Hamster :-4:-4
Hamster

Post by Hamster »

Betty Boop;1149812 wrote: Thank you Hamster :-4:-4

You are welcome! Now stop distracting me from painting and studying :wah:
Betty Boop

Post by Betty Boop »

Hamster;1149813 wrote: You are welcome! Now stop distracting me from painting and studying :wah:

Oh, do that lot dreckly, it's how the cornish are.....

I'm off to get on with an Annotated Bibliography soon.... :)
Hamster

Post by Hamster »

Betty Boop;1149814 wrote: Oh, do that lot dreckly, it's how the cornish are.....

I'm off to get on with an Annotated Bibliography soon.... :)

Is that an overnight stay in hospital? Sounds like a painful procedure :wah:
Betty Boop

Post by Betty Boop »

Hamster;1149819 wrote: Is that an overnight stay in hospital? Sounds like a painful procedure :wah:

It's very involved and in-depth in a not too deep round about way ;) (It's an essay plan)

Lots of painkilling vodka required :D

Return to “Members' News”