Chicken soup

Discuss alternative healing (Yoga, Reflexology) and self-help type books for the mind and thoughts for the soul.
Suresh Gupta

Chicken soup

Post by Suresh Gupta »

koan wrote: .....Here are some things that kids said, thinking about bad translations, compiled by Alexander Abington:......

Very nice. Made me laugh. I wonder what thought process goes on in the mind of kids which brings out such simple and honest translations.
Spread love not hate

Suresh Gupta

http://www.betterlife4all.com
koan

Chicken soup

Post by koan »

I thinkthese were all answers on school tests. Here are some more.

Gender shows whether a man is masculine, feminine or neuter.

The chief executive of Massachesetts is the electric chair.

Sienna is famous for being burnt.

The climate of Bombay is such that inhabitants have to live somewhere else.

The sun never sets on the British Empire because the British Empire is in the west and the sun sets in the east.

A polygon is a dead parrot.

An invoice is another name for the conscience.

The masculine of vixen is vicar.

The plural of ox is oxygen.

The opposite of evergreen is nevergreen.

Correct "It was me who broke the window."

"It wasn't me who broke the window."
Suresh Gupta

Chicken soup

Post by Suresh Gupta »

koan wrote: I think these were all answers on school tests. Here are some more........

They are a good passtime. When you are alone you can look at them and laugh. But have you ever thought that what is there in children's mind which brings out such replies?
Spread love not hate

Suresh Gupta

koan

Chicken soup

Post by koan »

In some of these examples, the children had to come up with answers to define terms they couldn't recall or use words in a sentence that they had to guess the meaning of. But, in the bigger picture, we take our terminology so seriously that the innocence of their explanations helps us to see our own absurdity at times. To tell you the truth, I've met some adults that couldn't have come up with better answers. One of the joys I get with my daughter is when she is trying out new words that she has heard and isn't sure how to use.

At the age of 6 she stated quite dramatically that she was "very particular" about the arrangement of her bed covers. Then, only a month later she informed me that her father had a medical problem with his "tentacles".

I just love the look on her face as she's waiting to see if she got the word right.
Suresh Gupta

Chicken soup

Post by Suresh Gupta »

koan wrote: In some of these examples, the children had to come up with answers to define terms they couldn't recall or use words in a sentence that they had to guess the meaning of. But, in the bigger picture, we take our terminology so seriously that the innocence of their explanations helps us to see our own absurdity at times. To tell you the truth, I've met some adults that couldn't have come up with better answers. One of the joys I get with my daughter is when she is trying out new words that she has heard and isn't sure how to use.

At the age of 6 she stated quite dramatically that she was "very particular" about the arrangement of her bed covers. Then, only a month later she informed me that her father had a medical problem with his "tentacles".

I just love the look on her face as she's waiting to see if she got the word right.

I was away for two days. When I returned and opened the forum this nice message was waiting for me. God bless your daughter.
Spread love not hate

Suresh Gupta

koan

Chicken soup

Post by koan »

Here are some silly quotations:

I love California. I practically grew up in Pheonix.

- Dan Quayle

The Internet is a great way to get on the Net.

- Bob Dole

A low voter turnout is an indication of fewer people going to the polls.

-Dan Quayle

I've read about foreign policy and studied, I now know the number of continents.

-George Wallace 1968 presidential campaign

Silliness is not limited to the States.

China is a big country with a lot of chinese people living there.

-Charles De Gaulle former French President

One I like to keep in mind while I'm at work (construction)

When on the ladder of success don't let the boys look up your skirt.

-Unknown
Paula

Chicken soup

Post by Paula »

All of the above sounds like (VEGETABLE SOUP) to me? :guitarist
Everyone has these on their face? TULIPS.
Suresh Gupta

Chicken soup

Post by Suresh Gupta »

koan wrote: Here are some silly quotations: ...........

Nice silly quotations. Made me laugh. But Paula made a vegetable soup of them and drank it. How was it Paula?
Spread love not hate

Suresh Gupta

Paula

Chicken soup

Post by Paula »

Silly, Dilly, one thing about vegetable soup, you have all your abc's & assorted vegggies, in order to drink soup, it would need to be pureed? Thats they only way soup can be swallowed as a beverage? Vegetable soup is really about you name it, it's in there...it could be anything you want it to be! Cheerio.... :-6
Suresh Gupta

Chicken soup

Post by Suresh Gupta »

Paula wrote: Silly, Dilly, one thing about vegetable soup, you have all your abc's & assorted vegggies, in order to drink soup, it would need to be pureed? Thats they only way soup can be swallowed as a beverage? Vegetable soup is really about you name it, it's in there...it could be anything you want it to be! Cheerio.... :-6

Did you like the soup?
Spread love not hate

Suresh Gupta

Paula

Chicken soup

Post by Paula »

Its morning here, i just had some instant oatmeal and a banana...need to keep the fiber intake high. I know you India people like veggies? Do you want soup today? :D
Suresh Gupta

Chicken soup

Post by Suresh Gupta »

Paula wrote: Its morning here, i just had some instant oatmeal and a banana...need to keep the fiber intake high. I know you India people like veggies? Do you want soup today? :D

No soup in the morning. It is crushed wheat in milk...full of fiber.
Spread love not hate

Suresh Gupta

koan

Chicken soup

Post by koan »

Aaaaaarrrrrggggghhhhh!

I had some actual homemade chicken soup yesterday and it really does warm the soul. Since you're here, Paula, can you think of any interesting quotes?
Suresh Gupta

Chicken soup

Post by Suresh Gupta »

koan wrote: Aaaaaarrrrrggggghhhhh!

I had some actual homemade chicken soup yesterday and it really does warm the soul. Since you're here, Paula, can you think of any interesting quotes?

But Paula is an expert in making vegetable soup.
Spread love not hate

Suresh Gupta

koan

Chicken soup

Post by koan »

As far as quotable people go, I love this woman!

A man in the house is worth two in the street.

-- Mae West

A woman has got to love a bad man once or twice in her life to be thankful for a good one.

-- Mae West

I like two kinds of men: domestic and foreign.

-- Mae West

I used to be Snow White, but I drifted.

-- Mae West

It is better to be looked over than overlooked.

-- Mae West

It's not the men in my life that count, it's the life in my men.

-- Mae West

Marriage is a great institution, but I'm not ready for an institution.

-- Mae West

When women go wrong, men go right after them.

-- Mae West

Whenever I'm caught between two evils, I take the one I've never tried.

-- Mae West
Suresh Gupta

Chicken soup

Post by Suresh Gupta »

koan wrote: As far as quotable people go, I love this woman.............

Quotes based on her personal experience?
Spread love not hate

Suresh Gupta

telaquapacky

Chicken soup

Post by telaquapacky »

Life being a succession of false situations can be seen in a positive way. Let me share a chicken soup story that I particularly love.

A farmer's horses escaped and ran away. His neighbors came to visit him and express their sympathy on the loss of his horses. The Farmer said, "You think that's bad?"

The farmer's son went out to find the horses, and was successful in rounding them all up and returning them to the corral. Not one was lost. In fact, the son brought back a beautiful wild stallion in addition. The farmer's neighbors came to visit to congratulate him on his good fortune. The farmer said, "You think that's good?"

The next day the farmer's son was attempting to break the new stallion, but the stallion bucked and threw him, and he broke his leg. The farmer's neighbors came again to say how sorry they were to hear the farmer's son was injured. The farmer said, "You think that's bad?"

While the farmer's son was in bed convalescing, unable to walk or do any work, the king sent his officials all over the country seeking young men for the army, to fight in a war that was going terribly bad, and massive casualties were forcing the king to enlarge his troops. The king's officials took away the neigbors' sons, but left the farmer's son because he had a broken leg, and couldn't serve in the army.
Look what the cat dragged in.
Suresh Gupta

Chicken soup

Post by Suresh Gupta »

[QUOTE=telaquapacky]Life being a succession of false situations can be seen in a positive way......[QUOTE]

Seeing life in a positive way is certainly desirable, but should we perceive life as only a succession of false situations?
Spread love not hate

Suresh Gupta

koan

Chicken soup

Post by koan »

Telaquapacky,

Good to hear from you again. Again with the good stories.

This is a wonderful excercise in seeing how we should not ascribe good or bad to things as we never really understand the big plan. I read a book called "Why me, Why this Why now?" which I found in the library after stating those exact questions. It talked about how our circumstances that may seem unfortunate usually can be found to have led us to something that we would not otherwise have found.
weeder

Chicken soup

Post by weeder »

"This plaque was a gift from a client/friend of mine . I read it every day.keep it on the wall at work to share it. I love it.

"No one will ever get out of this world alive."

Resolve,therefore in the coming year to maintain a sense of values"

Take care of yourself. Good health is everyones major source of wealth.

Without it, happiness is almost impossible.

Resolve to be cheerful and helpful. People will repay you,in kind.

Avoid angry,abrasive people. They are generally vengeful.

Avoid zealots. They are generally humorless.

Resolve to listen more, and talk less. No one ever learns anything by talking.

Be chary of giving advice. Wise men dont need it, and fools wont heed it.

Resolve to be.. tender with the young,compassionate with the aged,sympathetic

with the striving,and tolerant of the weak and wrong.

Sometime in life, you will have been all of these.************************

Do not equate money with success. There are many successful money makers, who are failures as human beings. What counts most about success, is how a man achieves it.

Resolve to love next year, someone you didnt love this year.

Love is the most enriching ingriedient of life.
[FONT=Microsoft Sans Serif][/FONT]
weeder

Chicken soup

Post by weeder »

[QUOTE=Suresh Gupta][QUOTE=telaquapacky]Life being a succession of false situations can be seen in a positive way......

Seeing life in a positive way is certainly desirable, but should we perceive life as only a succession of false situations?
It is my understanding that the most evolved spiritual people realize that all of lifes situations are really only illusions. Fabricated to keep man distracted from

examining his inner soul everyday. Thus hindering spiritual growth and change.

Discovering this reality I believe is a major step in understanding the meaning of life. It is thrilling to witness someone having the realization for the first time...

that they can walk away from anything....change anything...eliminate anything

they do not want in their life. Its like aquiring power.
[FONT=Microsoft Sans Serif][/FONT]
koan

Chicken soup

Post by koan »

To realize that life is an illusion was very liberating for me but I find a lot of people are angered when I try to explain what I mean. I believe that our concept of the illusion, is what defines who we are as individuals and to accept that it may all be an illusion is a threat to our Ego as we, then, are an illusion as well. We are not completely an illusion in that we do exist, just an illusion in the form we have become attached to. A series of false situations. I actually really like the wording of this description. Very similar to "A Series of Unfortunate Events" which I think I must go see at the theatre. Very funny in that understated kind of way.

False situations. The word "false" does not necessarily mean that the situation is negative. To make this equation is somewhat biased. False means not True. The false situation can be flavoured good or bad on a subjective basis and can still be enjoyed even though false. Most people I have met are quite happy to live in false worlds and are quite indignant when their illusions are challenged. If they are happy they are welcome to continue as is. If they are unhappy they might want to take a closer look. That is all.
Paula

Chicken soup

Post by Paula »

I don't think so at all, are you sure?

Return to “Body, Mind, Soul”