Letter arrives - 286 years late

Fact is stranger than fiction.
Cass

Post by Cass »

Germany's postal service has set a new record after a letter was delivered to the correct address 286 years late.

The letter from a Lutheran church official in the town of Eisenach was sent to officials in the nearby town of Ostheim in 1718, authorising them to pick a new clergyman after the death of the former holder of the office.

But it was delivered by mistake to a different Ostheim near Frankfurt, and ended up in the town archives.

Karl Schneider, 73, a local historian from Ostheim-vor-der-Rhoen which should have received the letter almost 300 years ago uncovered the mistake while discussing archive material with a colleague from the other Ostheim where it was mistakenly sent.

Schneider matched the letter with names and events in his own town's history, and the letter was finally delivered Wednesday.

In the early days of Germany's postal service mail delivery was done by cattle merchants, as the royal post only connected the main cities.

Schneider added: "It was probably the earliest example of a letter sent to the wrong address as well, but at the end of the day it didn't affect history too much.

http://www.ananova.com/news/story/sm_1195495.html?menu=
Tombstone

Post by Tombstone »

Better late than....never?
Please use the "contact us" button if you need to contact a ForumGarden admin.
LottomagicZ4941

Post by LottomagicZ4941 »

It always amazes me that for less then a dollar I can send a message to anyone if I just have their adress.

And the internet is even more amazing!!!

Lotto

http://www.flalottomagic.net/cgi-lo...cgi?welcome-344

Magic
Suresh Gupta

Post by Suresh Gupta »

The letter was sent to some officials authorising them to pick a new clergyman after the death of the former holder of the office. After so many years to whom the letter was delivere? And how was the new clergyman picked up at that time without authorization? Any info on this?
Spread love not hate

Suresh Gupta

http://www.betterlife4all.com
CARLA

Post by CARLA »

LottomagicZ4941,

I agree..!! Just amazing..!! :D

It always amazes me that for less then a dollar I can send a message to anyone if I just have their adress.

And the internet is even more amazing!!!
ALOHA!!

MOTTO TO LIVE BY:

"Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, chocolate in one hand, champagne in the other, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming.

WOO HOO!!, what a ride!!!"

Return to “Bizarre News Stories”