Diabetes... aint it just the sweetest thing.

Issues relating specifically to women's health.
Rapunzel

Post by Rapunzel »

flopstock;1228643 wrote:

I'm going to have to challenge you and Red to do the same here, til we are all amazed at how simple it is rather then what a pain in the ass it is..:D

It IS simple. It is also a pain in the ass! My problem is with the meds. I keep forgetting to take them! :-5 Now I know this is stupid and ridiculous and crazy and lame. BUT.....

I think the "problem" is that I don't feel sick. I'm officially labeled as "disabled" but I don't feel sick or ill or disabled, in fact I feel fine. And I don't like taking medicine. If I remember I take tablets in the morning with my breakfast but in the evening, even though I have an alarm which goes off at night to remind me its 'nasty meds time' I just turn it off thinking 'yeah, I'll do it later' and only remember when I'm snug and warm in bed and about to doze off.

When I'm at work I'm in a routine which is easier. I know if I don't take meds with breakfast then the day rushes by so fast I never seem to get a chance to take them and so I'm better at remembering to take them. Although I still suck at remembering the evening dose! But now its school holidays and I sleep in and have relaxing days. There's no routine at all, I shop when I need to and so keep running out of fruit and veg because I'm not buying some every few days. I munch on chocolate and crisps (more than I should) but after work I'm tired and always early to bed so there's less munching time. Nowadays I can easily stay up til 3 and so munch til 3! :eek: It's not doing me any good! Yesterday I had a shock because the soles of my feet felt fuzzy and numb! :eek: I had a double dose of insulin and went and bought lots of fruit and salad. So thats 3 weeks of being home and not walking miles every day and it's already started to affect my feet! Shocker! I think that and this thread have been a bit of a wake up call for me. I've let things slide and I don't keep an eye on my meds or my glucose levels.

It's a pain in the ass to keep having to check but having my feet go numb, which never happened before, made me realise that this is real and not just meaningless words, if you know what I mean.
flopstock

Post by flopstock »

Yeah, lady at work who tests once every two weeks because of the cost of strips, told me yesterday that she'd love to be encouraging, but that the truth is that most diabetics don't stick to it. she's giving me six weeks before i'm slacking off like she does..:rolleyes:

I don't agree with her BTW... after all- I stuck with the stupid ass oatmeal and salad for seven months even when i wasn't losing a pound..:wah: I think I've proven to myself that I can adapt.:D

My goal now is to make you and RED suffer along with me...:yh_rotfl
I expressly forbid the use of any of my posts anywhere outside of FG (with the exception of the incredibly witty 'get a room already' )posted recently.

Folks who'd like to copy my intellectual work should expect to pay me for it.:-6

flopstock

Post by flopstock »

I was reading about this lady who went on a crash diet after having a leg amputated... went through 16 artificial legs as she lost weight...

don't know why this tickled my funnybone, but for some reason I imagined her stacking them in her closet like I do pants... you know...just in case I ever start adding on again...:p
I expressly forbid the use of any of my posts anywhere outside of FG (with the exception of the incredibly witty 'get a room already' )posted recently.

Folks who'd like to copy my intellectual work should expect to pay me for it.:-6

flopstock

Post by flopstock »

I don't think the metformin is doing anything for me.... then again, I'm not sure what exactly it is supposed to be doing for me...:-2

I bought diabetes for dummys today and started reading it.

Went to the store and bought new food stuffs.. they have pasta with really low carbs and soft taco shells with really low carbs... trying those out. Think I'll make some chicken enciladas with the refired beeans and rice I bought.. freeze them up next to my egg quiche thingy... this weeks has summer squash in addtion to the spinach and bacon with eggbeaters.. that stuff tastes real to me BTW:-6 there's a plus eh?

Friday when i went to pick up littleone from grammas i took my bike and we rode the country rodes for about an hour. She likes it better then the city streets where she has to keep stopping all the time. When we got back I got her dad to raise my seat so that my knees wouldn't bother me so much the next day and he told me i'm riding on half inflated tires... that it may just be part of my problem...:rolleyes: so he filled them up for me too... have I mentioned that he is a nice guy? He really is.:-6

RedGlitter

Post by RedGlitter »

That sounds good Flop. I'm glad you bought Dummies too.

Do you like to cook? I can recommend some diabetic cookbooks.

Metformin is generic for Glucophage. It lowers your sugar. My glucose at the beginning was something like 533. It was in the 500's anyway and they just put me right on both Metformin and insulin too. They had me on Actos as well (another sugar lowering pill) but I read in a few medical journals that Actos can damage teeth. I took myself right off that stuff.

I admire your getting exercise. I know that's imperative but I don't do it enough. My friend talked me into doing the Total Gym with him so I'm going to be doing that and walking after dark when it's cooler.

A couple nights ago I tested my blood and I came in at 368. I flipped. I am not under control. But I'm subscribing to this thread because I really think with support, we can all do this together.

On Metformin: (video)

http://abcnews.go.com/Health/DiabetesTr ... id=3826546
flopstock

Post by flopstock »

So, if the idea is net carbs - how does something like a fiber supplement factor into our diets? I'm reading labels now and subtracting dietary fiber from total carbs to get net carbs which is apparently what i need to watch...

if I eat something high in carbs but drink a supplement, does it offset?:thinking:

flopstock

Post by flopstock »

10 chicken enchilladas 13.25 carbs per enchillada.

Okay tortillas are 4 net carbs each 10 shells 40 net (regular ones are like 36- 45 carbs each!:lips:)

spanish rice is 14 @3.5 servings to a can 49 net

refried beans 11 @3.5 servings to a can 38.5 net

cup of low cal shreaded cheese 4 carbs total

chicken breast 2 skinless 0 carbs

garlilc 1 net carb

cilantro, chili powder, pepper

Still want o know about taking fiber as a supplement...:thinking:

Rapunzel

Post by Rapunzel »

flopstock;1228737 wrote:

My goal now is to make you and RED suffer along with me...:yh_rotfl

Cheers for that! :yh_rotfl:yh_rotfl:yh_rotfl

flopstock;1228740 wrote: I was reading about this lady who went on a crash diet after having a leg amputated... went through 16 artificial legs as she lost weight...

don't know why this tickled my funnybone, but for some reason I imagined her stacking them in her closet like I do pants... you know...just in case I ever start adding on again...:p

This is SO my sense of humour!! Love it! :yh_rotfl:yh_rotfl:yh_rotfl

flopstock;1230967 wrote: I don't think the metformin is doing anything for me.... then again, I'm not sure what exactly it is supposed to be doing for me...:-2

Metformin is the only anti-diabetic drug that has been proven to protect against the cardiovascular complications of diabetes.

Metformin - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

DRUG CLASS AND MECHANISM: Metformin is an oral medication that lowers blood glucose (sugar) and is used for treating type 2 diabetes. Insulin is a hormone produced by the pancreas that controls glucose levels in blood by reducing the amount of glucose made by the liver and by increasing the removal of glucose from the blood by muscle and fat tissues. As a result, blood glucose levels fall. Diabetes caused by a decrease in production of insulin that causes increased production of glucose by the liver, and reduced uptake (and effects) of insulin on fat and muscle tissues. Metformin acts by increasing the sensitivity of liver, muscle, fat, and other tissues to the uptake and effects of insulin. These actions lower the level of sugar in the blood.

Unlike glucose-lowering drugs of the sulfonylurea class, metformin does not increase the concentration of insulin in the blood and, therefore, does not cause excessively low blood glucose levels (hypoglycemia) when used alone. In scientific studies, metformin reduced the complications of diabetes such as heart disease, blindness and kidney disease.

DOSING: For treating type 2 diabetes in adults, metformin (immediate release) usually is begun at a dose of 500 mg twice a day or 850 mg once daily. The dose is gradually increased by 500 mg weekly or 850 mg every two weeks as tolerated and based on the response of the levels of glucose in the blood. The maximum daily dose is 2550 mg given in three divided doses. If extended tablets are used, the starting dose is 500 mg or 1000 mg daily with the evening meal. The dose can be increased by 500 mg weekly up to a maximum dose of 2000 mg (2500 mg of Fortamet) once daily or in two divided doses. Glumetza tablets are given once daily. Metformin should be taken with meals.

SIDE EFFECTS: The most common side effects with metformin are nausea, vomiting, gas, bloating, diarrhea and loss of appetite. These symptoms occur in one out of every three patients. These side effects may be severe enough to cause therapy to be discontinued in one out of every 20 patients. These side effects are related to the dose of the medication and may decrease if the dose is reduced.

USES: This medication is a biguanide-type medicine that is used along with a diet and exercise program to control high blood sugar in diabetic patients. This medication works by helping to restore your body's proper response to the insulin you naturally produce, and by decreasing the amount of sugar that your liver makes and that your stomach/intestines absorb. Controlling high blood sugar helps prevent heart disease, strokes, kidney disease, blindness and circulation problems, as well as decreased sexual ability (impotence).

HOW TO USE: This medication is best taken by mouth with meals. Drink plenty of fluids while taking this medication. Use this medication regularly in order to get the most benefit from it. Remember to use it at the same time(s) each day. Your dosage is based on your medical condition and response to therapy.

metformin (Glucophage, Glucophage XR, Glumetza, Fortamet, Riomet) - drug class, medical uses, medication side effects, and drug interactions by MedicineNet.com
Rapunzel

Post by Rapunzel »

RedGlitter;1230982 wrote: I am not under control. But I'm subscribing to this thread because I really think with support, we can all do this together.

I had blood tests done yesterday. Cholesterol, etc is okay but my diabetic control is 'very poor'. (Smacked wrist!) I like the idea of us supporting each other much more than my skinny 18 year old diabetic nurse who just quotes from her text book and hasn't got a clue if you ask her any questions! :-5

Although I don't really exercise as such, I walk to and from work and am on my feet all day at work. However, the holidays have been a problem as I havent been doing so much walking and I can feel the difference in myself and how its affecting me. :(

I'm sorry I can't help you with your carbs Floppy. I'm afraid I don't really count them. Perhaps I should. I try to eat healthily on the whole. Your low carb tortillas sound good. I like tortillas but cant have them too often. Could you post a picture of them and tell me what they're called so I can see if we get them over here? Thanks. :)
flopstock

Post by flopstock »

Rapunzel;1231997 wrote: I had blood tests done yesterday. Cholesterol, etc is okay but my diabetic control is 'very poor'. (Smacked wrist!) I like the idea of us supporting each other much more than my skinny 18 year old diabetic nurse who just quotes from her text book and hasn't got a clue if you ask her any questions! :-5

Although I don't really exercise as such, I walk to and from work and am on my feet all day at work. However, the holidays have been a problem as I havent been doing so much walking and I can feel the difference in myself and how its affecting me. :(

I'm sorry I can't help you with your carbs Floppy. I'm afraid I don't really count them. Perhaps I should. I try to eat healthily on the whole. Your low carb tortillas sound good. I like tortillas but cant have them too often. Could you post a picture of them and tell me what they're called so I can see if we get them over here? Thanks. :)

I bought this pedometer that you put on your belt ... supposed to walk 10000 steps a day ladies! That alone will help us tremendously..they say.

i say I spend more time walking around trying to find out where it popped off then I do with it attached to my body:o but that too shall pass once the weight starts coming off, I hope:rolleyes::D ....guess what I'm getting you and red for christmas...:wah:

I have all the ladies at work checking their carb intake.. everyone thought they were doing good with low fat or sugar free stuff and they are all shocked to find that carbs are actually higher in those products then regular food.

Rapunzel

Post by Rapunzel »

flopstock;1232039 wrote: I bought this pedometer that you put on your belt ... supposed to walk 10000 steps a day ladies! That alone will help us tremendously..they say.

i say I spend more time walking around trying to find out where it popped off then I do with it attached to my body:o but that too shall pass once the weight starts coming off, I hope:rolleyes::D ....guess what I'm getting you and red for christmas...:wah:

I have all the ladies at work checking their carb intake.. everyone thought they were doing good with low fat or sugar free stuff and they are all shocked to find that carbs are actually higher in those products then regular food.

LMAO! :yh_rotfl

I shall have to find 'suitable' xmas gifts for you two too! :sneaky: :wah:

I had a pedometer once, it came free with something or other, but it only worked for one day...then it died! :yh_rotfl Can't have killed it thru overwork can I? :sneaky::wah:

(PMSL! Not a chance. :wah: )

So how do you check carbs then? Is it like 13g per 100g for yogurt, is that what you mean?

And how do you find your net carbs?
RedGlitter

Post by RedGlitter »

Here is an article on what you can do for diabetic neuropathy which a lot of us are bound to get so I am told. I already have some myself.

Diabetic Living

Here is a cool portion control guide using everyday objects!

For instance 3 oz of meat or poultry is the size of a deck of cards.

Also check out DLife.

And American Diabetes Organization.

Flop, regarding carb counting, I can't be of much help there because I don't do it myself. I find it very confusing. I would seriously suggest having your doctor recommend a certified dietician to show you how it's done. I should be doing this too. You might ask him about taking daily aspirin to help prevent a heart attack. They say we should be taking it because diabetics have a high incidence of heart attack and stroke.
flopstock

Post by flopstock »

I went and signed up at dlife.com today. I was watching the dlife show because it's on cnbc and I saw the name while channel cruising and it rang a bell...:wah:

This show has it all, diet exercise, support. So i went to the site.

It has a community area, forum area, recipe area .. all kinds of good stuff in one place! There goes my idea for making a central site..:yh_rotfl

Anyhoot, I've signed up over there using an easy to remember name.. so if any other diabetics happen along, drop me a line.:-6

lovelorn21

Post by lovelorn21 »

My family has a medical history of Diabetes, and I'm quite alarmed about it. Some of our relatives was already diagnosed with it.... I guess his having a medication to prevent his sickness to become severe... This kind of disease should be treated asap.
CybersurfingJunkie

Post by CybersurfingJunkie »

My family, too, has a history of diabetes. That's why I'm careful. I'm a big sweet tooth--and I don't plan on giving up sweets! Everything in moderation right now.

Return to “Women's Health”