SPCA exec Dog Dies

Discussions about your pets!
Peg

SPCA exec Dog Dies

Post by Peg »

Link

RICHMOND, Va. -- An executive for an anti-animal cruelty group says her 16-year-old blind and deaf dog died after she accidentally left him in her hot car for four hours.
ZAP

SPCA exec Dog Dies

Post by ZAP »

I couldn't get the link to work. How do you 'accidentally' leave a dog in a hot car?
Peg

SPCA exec Dog Dies

Post by Peg »

Hmmm the link works for me. :confused:

Robin Starr, the CEO of the Richmond Society for the Prevention of Cruelty to Animals, says she didn't realize "Louie'' was in the car until noon. Starr's husband, Ed, told the Richmond Times-Dispatch he put the dog in her car as she got ready for work Aug. 19. She often took the dog to work with her.
Odie

SPCA exec Dog Dies

Post by Odie »

Zapata;1234760 wrote: I couldn't get the link to work. How do you 'accidentally' leave a dog in a hot car?

here you go Zap:

August 26, 2009

SPCA exec's dog dies after 4 hours in hot car

By The Associated Press

Advertiser

RICHMOND, Va. -- An executive for an anti-animal cruelty group says her 16-year-old blind and deaf dog died after she accidentally left him in her hot car for four hours.

Robin Starr, the CEO of the Richmond Society for the Prevention of Cruelty to Animals, says she didn't realize "Louie'' was in the car until noon. Starr's husband, Ed, told the Richmond Times-Dispatch he put the dog in her car as she got ready for work Aug. 19. She often took the dog to work with her.

Robin Starr took the dog to two clinics, but he died of kidney failure.

The National Weather Service says the temperature had reached 91 degrees by noon that day.

The board of the SPCA says it still supports Starr, who has been CEO since 1997 and does not plan to resign. It was unclear whether she would be charged.

how can you not see a dog?
Life is just to short for drama.
ZAP

SPCA exec Dog Dies

Post by ZAP »

Odie;1234881 wrote: here you go Zap:

August 26, 2009

SPCA exec's dog dies after 4 hours in hot car

By The Associated Press

Advertiser

Robin Starr took the dog to two clinics, but he died of kidney failure.

The National Weather Service says the temperature had reached 91 degrees by noon that day.

The board of the SPCA says it still supports Starr, who has been CEO since 1997 and does not plan to resign. It was unclear whether she would be charged.

how can you not see a dog?

Thanks for the link, Odie. That's my thought too. How do you NOT see a dog and especially if she took the dog with her before? I once left my dog in my locked car in Palm Springs while I went into a restaurant for breakfast. When I came out the dog was gone and a note was on my windshield, telling me I could collect my dog at the police station and pay a fine. It was early March at 9 am, the windows were down somewhat & it was certainly not dangerous for my dog or I wouldn't have left her.

It's tragic if the woman didn't know her dog was in the car.
RedGlitter

SPCA exec Dog Dies

Post by RedGlitter »

How do you not know what the heck is in your backseat?!

The fact she worked for the SPCA makes it even worse.

I was thinking maybe that it was a fluke, being as a sixteen year old dog can go at any time; and I was going to question the kidney failure but then I realized well...it IS August. So I guess that makes sense. I feel terrible for that poor dog.
Peg

SPCA exec Dog Dies

Post by Peg »

She will have pets removed from people for the same thing she did. :-5
Odie

SPCA exec Dog Dies

Post by Odie »

Zapata;1234892 wrote: Thanks for the link, Odie. That's my thought too. How do you NOT see a dog and especially if she took the dog with her before? I once left my dog in my locked car in Palm Springs while I went into a restaurant for breakfast. When I came out the dog was gone and a note was on my windshield, telling me I could collect my dog at the police station and pay a fine. It was early March at 9 am, the windows were down somewhat & it was certainly not dangerous for my dog or I wouldn't have left her.

It's tragic if the woman didn't know her dog was in the car.

it is tragic, considering who she is.:-5:-5

An executive for an anti-animal cruelty group?

she deserves to be fined, just like everyone else!:mad:
Life is just to short for drama.
fuzzywuzzy

SPCA exec Dog Dies

Post by fuzzywuzzy »

Peg;1234755 wrote: Link

sounds like it was euthunised .:D........No really I'm not being callous here, I have a story for you .

I'm trying to rehouse two dogs ..One a short haired border collie (farm dog)

The other a pure bred golden retriever that hasn't been desxed so is still very useful ( exellent hip score etc.) And a lovely dog to boot. Lovely nature etc.

Rang the RSPCA today to surrender them ............Three week waiting list. (I don't have that much time)

I could surrender them to the pound but ...this is news to me .......They will put them down immediately as you wait .....WTF??????? that's crap!!!! No wonder people hold on to their dogs and end up (by authority standards "mistreating them" )

SO WHAT DO I DO NOW? I have to shoot them !!!!!! Great !!!!!
RedGlitter

SPCA exec Dog Dies

Post by RedGlitter »

The RSPCA can't take them at your whim because they are (like the ASPCA, etc) trying to rehome the tons of other dogs people have given them. You seem really surprised that the pound will kill them. Here's why they will. They figure you have two dogs you couldn't bother to find homes for, so why should they bother? I say "you" in a general sense. They do that out here too. One occasional exception is puppies and I mean basically newborns, They might try to rehome them but that's because there's a better chance of them getting homes. Everyone wants the puppies, few people want young dogs or adult dogs. Then when the pup grows into an older dog, he will find himself at the pound because he's no longer cute and small, but big and inconvenient.

I don't know about your kill pounds but ours here allow strays to live for 72 hours before they're slaughtered. An owner turn-in will be dead before the owner leaves the parking lot.

Why would you choose to shoot them instead of having them euthanized? Do you know what method they use? Out here the humane kill pounds (if you could possibly call them that) use a fatal narcotic injection, they call it "Fatal Blue." The sh*tty kill pounds use gas chambers to kill theirs because they are too cheap to spend 3 cents more for proper syringes and solution. The gas chamber is a terrible way to die, whereas the fatal injection is the kindest way we know of.

Why are you giving them up? Do they have behavior problems?

ETA: when I say "you couldn't bother" to find homes for them, I am not referring to you personally as I assume you're doing all you can for them.
fuzzywuzzy

SPCA exec Dog Dies

Post by fuzzywuzzy »

The RSPCA can't take them at your whim

That's about as far as I got !!! **** off!!! how dare you !!!
RedGlitter

SPCA exec Dog Dies

Post by RedGlitter »

How dare I what??

Return to “The Pets In Our Lives”