Color Photos of Nazi Germany

General discussion area for all topics not covered in the other forums.
RedGlitter

Post by RedGlitter »

I was Stumbling and fell on this:

Photos

It's photo intensive so I can't post here. The pictures themselves aren''t that engaging but the fact they are in color is what caught my attention. Having seen these type of photos and footage for years, it gives a different feeling seeing it in color. I guess it makes it more "real?" Which for me, makes it scarier and more "un"real that humans could ever do such things to other humans.

Looking at that podium with the huge swastika banner draped on it, I cannot help but think of KKK demonstrations.
Clodhopper

Post by Clodhopper »

Y'know the thing that struck me was how ordinary they were. All those black-and-white photos do give the impression of faceless hordes very well - even when focussing on an individual. But seeing it in colour... I've bumped into most of those people on the street, if you see what I mean.
The crowd: "Yes! We are all individuals!"

Lone voice: "I'm not."
spot

Post by spot »

The Library of Congress has an online exhibition of colour photographs from Russia leading up to the First World War, they have a startling feel to them as well.

There's a documentary about a rather rich French chap at the same period who sent photographers out across Europe to capture the same sort of thing but they don't, so far as I remember, overlap into the war itself.

eta: found it. BBC documentary series, Edwardians In Colour: The Wonderful World Of Albert Kahn, particularly Episode 03 - Europe on the Brink.

http://www.youtube.com/view_play_list?p ... +Colour%22
Nullius in verba ... ☎||||||||||| ... To Fate I sue, of other means bereft, the only refuge for the wretched left.
When flower power came along I stood for Human Rights, marched around for peace and freedom, had some nooky every night - we took it serious.
Who has a spare two minutes to play in this month's FG Trivia game! ... My other OS is Slackware.
Rapunzel

Post by Rapunzel »

Wow! Amazing pics Red. :-6

It always amazes me that the allies won the war because the Germans were just so organised and forceful.

It's ironic that our country is so screwed up now but Germany is still very organised and forward-moving.

(Bet I get a million replies to this one.) :rolleyes:
gmc

Post by gmc »

There's lots from ww1 around as well.

there's also colour moving film-remastered black and white film- there was a TV series made of them for british TV. We are perhaps a bit more obsessed by the two wars than americans. there are constant documentaries and war films on-even more now since tomorrow is the seventieth anniversary of the start of ww2.
along-for-the-ride

Post by along-for-the-ride »

Thanks for sharing, RG.

Snapshots of what was going on outside the bobwire of the Concentration camps.
Life is a Highway. Let's share the Commute.

Return to “General Chit Chat”