Anti-virus!!!!!!!

almostfamous

Anti-virus!!!!!!!

Post by almostfamous »

Ok, I tried sifting through previous posts but my patience is worn thin already today.

I need a new anti-virus software seeing as the moment mine expired it got ransacked with CRAP :-5:-5

Every morning (it never fails) at 3 am a windows update sends my computer into a frenzy, I get a RNDLL error and my internet won't work. I uninstalled firefox because it seemed to be the only thing effected and IE still worked. I do system restores every day like clockwork but frankly, I'm sick of it.

SO, can anyone recommend a good anti-virus? One that will remove whatever viruses, spyware, registry problems, etc is already on my system and then protect the **** out of it in the future.

Please don't say AVG because it was the biggest load of crap so far :mad:

Did I mention I'm not having a very good day? :o

Oh, and I did try the free download of spydoctor. I used to use it back in the day when it was free but of course it's not anymore. Does anyone know if the paid version is worth anything?

HELP!
spot

Anti-virus!!!!!!!

Post by spot »

Carla's advice on antivirus protection
Nullius in verba ... ☎||||||||||| ... To Fate I sue, of other means bereft, the only refuge for the wretched left.
When flower power came along I stood for Human Rights, marched around for peace and freedom, had some nooky every night - we took it serious.
Who has a spare two minutes to play in this month's FG Trivia game! ... My other OS is Slackware.
Barman

Anti-virus!!!!!!!

Post by Barman »

SUPERAntiSpyware Free Edition

:) The best i have ever used.
Odie

Anti-virus!!!!!!!

Post by Odie »

as Carla advised me, Avast is a keeper!
Life is just to short for drama.
Bruv

Anti-virus!!!!!!!

Post by Bruv »

Why system restore everyday ?

Try CCleaner Free

And WinASO Free version that clears only 10 items.....so with patience you could clean up for free.
I thought I knew more than this until I opened my mouth
almostfamous

Anti-virus!!!!!!!

Post by almostfamous »

Thanks, I've downloaded malwarebytes and avast. They are both running scans now.

The reason for the system restore was because it was the only way I could get the rundll error to disappear (temporarily it seems) and for my internet to work again. I was having to restore back to a point before the update installed.

Unfortunately, because of the restore, Mozilla is still on my computer and now I can't get it uninstall again :confused:

I'm going on 3 hours of this now and I feel like I'm chasing my tail. Hopefully the 2 aforementioned programs can help me.

Thanks again ya'll
spot

Anti-virus!!!!!!!

Post by spot »

Software's shockingly complicated stuff, far more so than hardware. The hardware doesn't change, the software's in constant flux. I can't remember when last I had a computer with an operating system installed fresh more than a year before. They head toward the cliff of instability and once they're over it they're plummeting toward the rocks of unfriendliness and nothing's going to stop them.

If you don't have all your irreplaceable files archived off the computer you're skating on thin ice. When you have, and you know where all your installed programs are sourced from, a reset to factory defaults will get your usable machine back. If you want your original speedy feel back as well, increase the computer memory to the maximum it will take - XP, for example, takes around 3 times as much resident room now as it took with just Service Pack 1 installed and applications have increased in size as well.

The symptoms are arbitrary packages (like, for example, AVG or Firefox or Office) refusing to run the way they do on normal machines. The cause is the operating system installation degrading at a faster and faster rate.
Nullius in verba ... ☎||||||||||| ... To Fate I sue, of other means bereft, the only refuge for the wretched left.
When flower power came along I stood for Human Rights, marched around for peace and freedom, had some nooky every night - we took it serious.
Who has a spare two minutes to play in this month's FG Trivia game! ... My other OS is Slackware.
almostfamous

Anti-virus!!!!!!!

Post by almostfamous »

Shockingly complicated is too true. Honestly, and I don't have any concrete evidence to back this up, but, I think it's Vista. I have never had more problems with an OS than I have with Vista. When I was computer shopping I tried to find a laptop with XP but was obviously unsuccessful.

I do have backup disks but they are in storage with the rest of my school/office stuff back in TN which does me a fat lot of good right now lol.

Still hoping those two from Carla's post will help. Just playing the waiting game right now.
Bruv

Anti-virus!!!!!!!

Post by Bruv »

I don't know if it is allowed or not, but I would advise you to get advice from a dedicated PC site, rather than Forum Garden that refreshes other parts that PC expertise cannot reach ( I am being poetic just like Spot)

I always go to PC Advisor to sort out any of my techie problems, always helpful, non judgmental, and they don't talk down if you ask silly questions (Not that I am saying your questions are silly) but some of mine were, in retrospect.
almostfamous

Anti-virus!!!!!!!

Post by almostfamous »

You're right about expert advise. I just never know which "experts" to trust. Googling is so disgruntling and I'm always afraid I'll get duped.

The malware found 3 trojans but was unable to fix. The avant found nothing :thinking:

When I have 5 or 6 hours to waste I'll make the trip to the nearest Best Buy and see if the Geek Squad can help I guess.

Thanks again everybody. It appears I'm hopeless :rolleyes:
Bruv

Anti-virus!!!!!!!

Post by Bruv »

I can assure you the experts on PC Advisor (all amateurs) will sort your problem out free of charge, the depth of knowledge and advice is amazing, and with a friendly touch.

Was the first site I bookmarked several years ago and is still my homepage.
Peg

Anti-virus!!!!!!!

Post by Peg »

almostfamous;1229359 wrote: You're right about expert advise. I just never know which "experts" to trust. Googling is so disgruntling and I'm always afraid I'll get duped.

The malware found 3 trojans but was unable to fix. The avant found nothing :thinking:

When I have 5 or 6 hours to waste I'll make the trip to the nearest Best Buy and see if the Geek Squad can help I guess.

Thanks again everybody. It appears I'm hopeless :rolleyes:

Do you know what trojans you have?
almostfamous

Anti-virus!!!!!!!

Post by almostfamous »

Bruv;1229442 wrote: I can assure you the experts on PC Advisor (all amateurs) will sort your problem out free of charge, the depth of knowledge and advice is amazing, and with a friendly touch.

Was the first site I bookmarked several years ago and is still my homepage.

Ahh PC Advisor is one of the experts... I thought you were just saying see a PC Advisor :wah: I was thinking I don't know how to find one :confused::o

Peg;1229446 wrote: Do you know what trojans you have?

No, I don't. Do you know how to find out? Or would it have said when the scan completed?
Nomad

Anti-virus!!!!!!!

Post by Nomad »

Peg;1229446 wrote:

Do you know what trojans you have?

almostfamous;1229478 wrote:

No, I don't. Do you know how to find out?

It should say right on the package. Ribbed, glow in the dark etc.
I AM AWESOME MAN
Peg

Anti-virus!!!!!!!

Post by Peg »

I'm sorry that I just saw this. You still having problems? Did you find out what trojans you had (not that kind Nomad :yh_rotfl )?
spot

Anti-virus!!!!!!!

Post by spot »

Nomad;1235992 wrote: It should say right on the package. Ribbed, glow in the dark etc.Good lord Nomie. If you were used for what you're good at you'd be permanently soaked.
CARLA

Anti-virus!!!!!!!

Post by CARLA »

I have been using MALWAREBYTE for a long time and never has there been a situation that it couldn't remove a threat. Did you follow the instruction to the end and delete the threats. I suggest you run a full scan.

AVAST is also good you have to run the full scan as well and the boot scan also.

Also what is your exact symptoms?? what messages are you getting? is it a POPUP link the bogus "ANTIVIRUS PRO"? Trojans come in many different forms.

If you feel comfortable I can offer my assistance remotely. I can login to your machine and see what the problem is from my office or home. Just PM if you would like and we can go from there. I'm and IT professional I do this for a living. :)
ALOHA!!

MOTTO TO LIVE BY:

"Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, chocolate in one hand, champagne in the other, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming.

WOO HOO!!, what a ride!!!"

almostfamous

Anti-virus!!!!!!!

Post by almostfamous »

Thanks Carla, I'll keep that in mind if it happens again.

The malwarebytes and avast appear to be working well. I haven't had to do a system restore in weeks and haven't gotten the rundll error since either.

CARLA

Anti-virus!!!!!!!

Post by CARLA »

Good to hear they are 2 FREE and good pieces of software. ;)
ALOHA!!

MOTTO TO LIVE BY:

"Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, chocolate in one hand, champagne in the other, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming.

WOO HOO!!, what a ride!!!"

Return to “Computers Internet”