The NHS

Arrange and set the rules for new debates.
Raven

The NHS

Post by Raven »

Should it be privatised and services contracted out? What do you think? How about a debate?
~Quoth the Raven, Nevermore!~
Clodhopper

The NHS

Post by Clodhopper »

Absolutely not. Think it was a bad mistake contracting out the cleaning services.

What I would like to see is more emphasis on preventive measures, though I don't pretend to know how it would work. Should tobacco be banned?
The crowd: "Yes! We are all individuals!"

Lone voice: "I'm not."
Oscar Namechange

The NHS

Post by Oscar Namechange »

I'm more in favour of taking the NHS out of the hands of Whitehall and handing control back to the Individual hospitals.
At the going down of the sun and in the morning, we will remember them. R.L. Binyon
Raven

The NHS

Post by Raven »

Clodhopper;1244754 wrote: Absolutely not. Think it was a bad mistake contracting out the cleaning services.

What I would like to see is more emphasis on preventive measures, though I don't pretend to know how it would work. Should tobacco be banned?
The sad fact is that the primary care services are already going to the highest bidder. Wound care and tissue viability are being scouped up by dressing manufacturers for example. Health visitors are being clumped into social care. The change is already happening and noone knows about it. I will look up some things for you. I feel the issue needs exposing.
Raven

The NHS

Post by Raven »

oscar;1244763 wrote: I'm more in favour of taking the NHS out of the hands of Whitehall and handing control back to the Individual hospitals.

It wont happen. There wont be much left to call the NHS soon.
Oscar Namechange

The NHS

Raven;1244781 wrote: It wont happen. There wont be much left to call the NHS soon. As you already know... I have two sisters and a niece who are in the NHS. My sister Karen is at Brighton County as an A & E Staff nurse and

Shirley is a Staff nurse in Queens Hospital in Romford. My niece is at Worthing Hospital in Sussex. They are sick to the back teeth of the restrictions put upon them that they believe sometimes stops them actually nursing. What do you suggest?
At the going down of the sun and in the morning, we will remember them. R.L. Binyon
Raven

The NHS

Post by Raven »

There is nothing we can do. All I can suggest is that no matter who pays their wage, they are still nurses. Do what we can with what we got. Nurse led clinics are starting to take off big time! All we need to do is secure the capital from the government and based upon strategic evidence, hang out our own shingle. Open for business. I plan something along those lines in the cardio-pulmonary area, once I find my feet as a nurse at the Medway A & E for a couple of years. :rolleyes:
Oscar Namechange

The NHS

Raven;1244831 wrote: There is nothing we can do. All I can suggest is that no matter who pays their wage, they are still nurses. Do what we can with what we got. Nurse led clinics are starting to take off big time! All we need to do is secure the capital from the government and based upon strategic evidence, hang out our own shingle. Open for business. I plan something along those lines in the cardio-pulmonary area, once I find my feet as a nurse at the Medway A & E for a couple of years. :rolleyes: I could have done with you when I had my pulmery Embolism. The nurses were not impressed with my dragging my machine for Heperin along to the toilet for a cigg with me.
Raven

The NHS

Post by Raven »

:yh_rotfl Officially I wouldnt have been either...but...I would have understood.;)
gmc

The NHS

Post by gmc »

Raven;1244746 wrote: Should it be privatised and services contracted out? What do you think? How about a debate?

No No No No No No.

What kind of idiot would want a privatised health service? Sixty one years ago the people of this country their feeling felt about this I find it hard to credit anyone thinks privatised medicine is a good thing-just look at the states who would want to copy them?
Oscar Namechange

The NHS

Raven;1244840 wrote: :yh_rotfl Officially I wouldnt have been either...but...I would have understood.;) I got a right Bollocking about the machine being jolted and shooting a massive dose into me but the truth was they were more worried I would drop the machine as it cost them so much :wah: It was damn hard to do as well what with trying to drag my tripod behind me as well. But I got there and after being heavilly sedated for three days, it was the best cigg I've ever had. :wah:
Raven

The NHS

Post by Raven »

gmc;1244849 wrote: No No No No No No.

What kind of idiot would want a privatised health service? Sixty one years ago the people of this country their feeling felt about this I find it hard to credit anyone thinks privatised medicine is a good thing-just look at the states who would want to copy them?
I understand what you are saying. The point is, the process of contracting out services has already begun. And it's been done with the least amount of public attention as can be.
Raven

The NHS

Post by Raven »

oscar;1244854 wrote: I got a right Bollocking about the machine being jolted and shooting a massive dose into me but the truth was they were more worried I would drop the machine as it cost them so much :wah: It was damn hard to do as well what with trying to drag my tripod behind me as well. But I got there and after being heavilly sedated for three days, it was the best cigg I've ever had. :wah:
Yeah sounds about right. Like the folks who take their chest drains outside with them to smoke.

I would have been more worried about you dislodging the clot and sending that to your lungs. Priorities in that place sound a bit skewed to me.:thinking:
Oscar Namechange

The NHS

Raven;1244874 wrote: Yeah sounds about right. Like the folks who take their chest drains outside with them to smoke.

I would have been more worried about you dislodging the clot and sending that to your lungs. Priorities in that place sound a bit skewed to me.:thinking:

It was on my left lung. I just have to say that the staff and all concerned in the emergency ward were nothing short of excellence. The Paramedics without doubt saved my life. I had just had major surgery so they suspected a pulmery embolism correctly at once and treated me in the ambulance on route with Heperin.
spot

The NHS

Post by spot »

There are, I think, two issues which the general public conflates. Privatizing out is one, and national care free at the point of delivery for cradle-to-grave health cover which is the other. They have nothing, as far as I can see, to do with each other.

There have been slips in the second. Dental provision is a central health concern and that's completely messed up. Prescription charges have sneaked in and up though they're still capped at £110 a year per person regardless of the volume of prescriptions which is a way of stopping it becoming a total outrage. It's still wrong.

But making the system as cost effective as possible, given the unchanged definition of what it performs, is a political decision that has nothing to do with cutting back on performance.

It's not an informed post Raven, but perhaps if you sink your teeth into it I'll get an idea of why I can't see the wood for the trees.
Nullius in verba ... ☎||||||||||| ... To Fate I sue, of other means bereft, the only refuge for the wretched left.
When flower power came along I stood for Human Rights, marched around for peace and freedom, had some nooky every night - we took it serious.
Who has a spare two minutes to play in this month's FG Trivia game! ... My other OS is Slackware.
gmc

The NHS

Post by gmc »

Raven;1244872 wrote: I understand what you are saying. The point is, the process of contracting out services has already begun. And it's been done with the least amount of public attention as can be.

That's because they know what the public reaction is likely to be. there's a lot wrong with the NHS but privatising it isn't the way to go.
Bryn Mawr

The NHS

Post by Bryn Mawr »

Whilst centralising the administration might be dragging the efficiency of the whole down, paying dividends and making profit the motive for existence is not the answer.

Keep central purchasing but take the administration back to the point of supply - make those that do responsible for the doing because they are the ones who know what is required.

Return to “Propose”