Does the Invasion of Black Squirrels in the UK concern you??

A forum created specifically for polls.
Oscar Namechange

Post by Oscar Namechange »

Votes please :)
At the going down of the sun and in the morning, we will remember them. R.L. Binyon
el guapo

Post by el guapo »

not at all i can shoot them 2
"To be foolish and to recognize that one is foolish, is better than to be foolish and imagine that one is wise."
G-man

Post by G-man »

What's the harm... are ya' worried about decreasing property values, increased violence, loud rap music... what? :p

Signature text removed at the request of a member.

Participate in The unOfficial Forum Garden Scavenger Hunt 2009!

Oscar Namechange

G-man;1254195 wrote: What's the harm... are ya' worried about decreasing property values, increased violence, loud rap music... what? :p They are allegedly killing the grey squirrel population.
At the going down of the sun and in the morning, we will remember them. R.L. Binyon
gmc

Post by gmc »

oscar;1254198 wrote: They are allegedly killing the grey squirrel population.

Good. grey squirrels are not native anyway and are pushing out the native red squirrel.

Black Squirrels? elucidate please
farmer giles

Post by farmer giles »

idiot:rolleyes::rolleyes:
gmc

Post by gmc »

farmer giles;1254258 wrote: idiot:rolleyes::rolleyes:

:-5:-5 Thank you that makes me feel so much better. They're culling grey squirrels up here. Maybe i shouldn;t mention that in case I get accused of being anti-american
YZGI

Post by YZGI »

gmc;1254380 wrote: :-5:-5 Thank you that makes me feel so much better. They're culling grey squirrels up here. Maybe i shouldn;t mention that in case I get accused of being anti-american
Why? Are they American Gray squirrels? Can you tell by their accent?:D
hoppy

Post by hoppy »

We got reds, grays and black squirrels all over my town. I don't remember ever seeing a black squirrel in the woods where I hunted. Shot many a red and many a gray though. X wifey was great at cooking 'em up.
Clodhopper

Post by Clodhopper »

I've not seen any. Are we sure this isn't a hoax?
The crowd: "Yes! We are all individuals!"

Lone voice: "I'm not."
buttercup

Post by buttercup »

Never seen one of any colour.
gmc

Post by gmc »

YZGI;1254382 wrote: Why? Are they American Gray squirrels? Can you tell by their accent?:D

Actually yes they are. Grey squirrels are not native to the UK. They are blamed for ousting the native red in much of the UK. You only see them up in the highlands nowadays-I think.

Look a scottish squirrel

Squirrel Cam

a scottish mountain on a good day (you can tell it's a good day you can actually see it)

Ben Nevis Webcam, Scotland

I didn't even know you got black squirrels-farmer giles had me thinking I had fall foul of an oscar red herring. Now I'm wondering if she was serious.
Clodhopper

Post by Clodhopper »

As I understand it, the Greys carry a pox to which they are immune but the Reds aren't. A certain irony there...

Also, the Greys can eat a wide variety of foods, but the Reds are limited to pine cones (I think), so the Greys cope better in time of hardship.

Blacks definitely not a hoax:

Forest Research - Black squirrels

YZGI

Post by YZGI »

gmc;1254392 wrote: Actually yes they are. Grey squirrels are not native to the UK. They are blamed for ousting the native red in much of the UK. You only see them up in the highlands nowadays-I think.

Look a scottish squirrel

Squirrel Cam

a scottish mountain on a good day (you can tell it's a good day you can actually see it)

Ben Nevis Webcam, Scotland

I didn't even know you got black squirrels-farmer giles had me thinking I had fall foul of an oscar red herring. Now I'm wondering if she was serious.

They could have been Canadian squirrels, did they say "eh" alot?
buttercup

Post by buttercup »

:wah:
Odie

Post by Odie »

gmc;1254249 wrote: Good. grey squirrels are not native anyway and are pushing out the native red squirrel.

:eek:

grey squirrels, brown, black and reds.....don't fight here.
Life is just to short for drama.
Bryn Mawr

Post by Bryn Mawr »

YZGI;1254400 wrote: They could have been Canadian squirrels, did they say "eh" alot?

You ought to know us Brits can't tell a Yank from a Canuk by ear any better than we can tell an Ozzie from a Kiwi.

You know, given that both the greys and the blacks are North American imports, I'd far rather they fought their dominance wars at home and left our native reds in peace :wah:

Anyroadup, there's damn all we can do about it now they're here.
Odie

Post by Odie »

YZGI;1254400 wrote: They could have been Canadian squirrels, did they say "eh" alot?

now you've done it eh?

do you realize this could cause a squirrel war?:lips:
YZGI

Post by YZGI »

Bryn Mawr;1254413 wrote: You ought to know us Brits can't tell a Yank from a Canuk by ear any better than we can tell an Ozzie from a Kiwi.

You know, given that both the greys and the blacks are North American imports, I'd far rather they fought their dominance wars at home and left our native reds in peace :wah:

Anyroadup, there's damn all we can do about it now they're here.
Maybe they will teach them reds a thing or two about survival.

I think the grays migrated over there because of all the guns here. Them reds haven't had to run from guns for a long time.:wah:
Oscar Namechange

gmc;1254249 wrote: Good. grey squirrels are not native anyway and are pushing out the native red squirrel.

Let me enlighten you my little bearded one. This thread was merely an experiment.

Last night, after the poll of 'Doe's mass Immigration concern you?', Cloddhopper and Bryn said that the only reason the poll had 20 votes for yes, mass Immigration doe's concern me and only 6 votes for No, mass Immigration doe's not concern me, was down to the fact that I had spent my life in sales and was so good at it that I could sway opinion and voting by the way I loaded the question. I argued this was nonsense due to members having their own minds and If I was that good, I'd be earning a fortune as a Spin Doctor.

To prove my point, I started the squirrel thread and using my sales tactics, deliberately used the word 'Invasion' to Imply that the country was over-run with them and It should be some-thing of concern. Also, well know tactics of the Daily Mail. It seems I have been proved correct in this Instance as no-one has voted, Yes, black squirrels do concern me.... There-fore... Sorry Bryn and Clodhopper... Your arguement for the Immigration Poll has collapsed.
Clodhopper

Post by Clodhopper »

Maybe they will teach them reds a thing or two about survival.

Squirrambo? Someone must have a pic they can post!:wah:

Oscar Namechange

Clodhopper;1254386 wrote: I've not seen any. Are we sure this isn't a hoax? Although my thread was an experiment... No, black squirrels are not a hoax. I myself have seen the buggers in the South Glou countryside walking the dogs.

Tim Dowling: Lay off black squirrels, they're just better at doing their job | Comment is free | guardian.co.uk

Attached files
Odie

Post by Odie »

Odie;1254414 wrote: now you've done it eh?

hello YZGI!:yh_rotfl:yh_rotfl
Oscar Namechange

Odie;1254436 wrote: hello YZGI!:yh_rotfl:yh_rotfl
I think It's rascism toward Black squirrels don't you? Next we will have a politician telling us that they are coming over here taking all our jobs and getting free housing. :rolleyes:

I think they are cute. :-4
Odie

Post by Odie »

oscar;1254440 wrote: I think It's rascism toward Black squirrels don't you? Next we will have a politician telling us that they are coming over here taking all our jobs and getting free housing. :rolleyes:

I think they are cute. :-4

yup.....its racism!:yh_rotfl:yh_rotfl

I love the grays the best.:-4
Oscar Namechange

Odie;1254442 wrote: yup.....its racism!:yh_rotfl:yh_rotfl

I love the grays the best.:-4 Anything with legs and fur is OK by me but I have detered the Grey Squirrels this year due to Birds nests in my garden.
YZGI

Post by YZGI »

Odie;1254414 wrote: now you've done it eh?

It's begun..

YZGI

Post by YZGI »

Looks like Clodhopper got him one...

gmc

Post by gmc »

oscar;1254426 wrote: Let me enlighten you my little bearded one. This thread was merely an experiment.

Last night, after the poll of 'Doe's mass Immigration concern you?', Cloddhopper and Bryn said that the only reason the poll had 20 votes for yes, mass Immigration doe's concern me and only 6 votes for No, mass Immigration doe's not concern me, was down to the fact that I had spent my life in sales and was so good at it that I could sway opinion and voting by the way I loaded the question. I argued this was nonsense due to members having their own minds and If I was that good, I'd be earning a fortune as a Spin Doctor.

To prove my point, I started the squirrel thread and using my sales tactics, deliberately used the word 'Invasion' to Imply that the country was over-run with them and It should be some-thing of concern. Also, well know tactics of the Daily Mail. It seems I have been proved correct in this Instance as no-one has voted, Yes, black squirrels do concern me.... There-fore... Sorry Bryn and Clodhopper... Your arguement for the Immigration Poll has collapsed.

Most people probably thought it was a hoax. Being a simpler trusting soul it never occurred to me it might be an oscarification-while I know you spout a lot of rubbish elsewhere you do seem genuinely interested in animals so i assumed it was something you knew about and I didn't ub=ntil farmer gile ssuggested otherwise. I didn't vote either-mind you i didn't vote in your other polls either.

posted by yzgi

They could have been Canadian squirrels, did they say "eh" alot?

I don't speak squirrel but it sounds like they are lecturing-whatever they say my dog hates them. Managed to kill one in the garden-I am peacefully working away and suddenly all hell lets loose and thirty seconds later there is a dead squirrel and a very pleased looking dog. He sits in the conservatory and waits until they come down to the ground before going after them but he's only ever caught one. They seem to stay away nowadays.

They're taking over the place and killing the indigenous population so my bet is they are american:sneaky::yh_rotfl
Oscar Namechange

gmc;1254465 wrote: Most people probably thought it was a hoax. Being a simpler trusting soul it never occurred to me it might be an oscarification-while I know you spout a lot of rubbish elsewhere you do seem genuinely interested in animals so i assumed it was something you knew about and I didn't ub=ntil farmer gile ssuggested otherwise. I didn't vote either-mind you i didn't vote in your other polls either.

posted by yzgi

I don't speak squirrel but it sounds like they are lecturing-whatever they say my dog hates them. Managed to kill one in the garden-I am peacefully working away and suddenly all hell lets loose and thirty seconds later there is a dead squirrel and a very pleased looking dog. He sits in the conservatory and waits until they come down to the ground before going after them but he's only ever caught one. They seem to stay away nowadays.

They're taking over the place and killing the indigenous population so my bet is they are american:sneaky::yh_rotfl If I talk rubbish then why do I agree with some of your posts? :yh_rotfl

Yes, even though I say It myself... as an animal rights campaigner, My knowledge of british wildlife is pretty hot. Don't even get me started on the depleting fish stocks due to the re-Introduction of Otters. Infact, I feel a poll coming on :sneaky:

My dogs kill rabbits given half the chance and I'm sure they would kill a squirrel if they got one. I could not chastise them, as Terriers, it's the natural thing to do although I don't like it.

These black Squirrells coming over here from America... Invading us for Scottish Oil with their gang culture and rap music. :rolleyes::rolleyes:

What about the Invasion of black rabbits then?
Oscar Namechange

No it's not a hoax... Black Rabbit population is on the up. Mr O has seen them while out fishing in South Glou.

Attached files
Odie

Post by Odie »

YZGI;1254454 wrote: It's begun..

see, look what you started?:sneaky:

YZGI;1254457 wrote: Looks like Clodhopper got him one...

ahah, sneaky little bugger, he must be Canadian!:lips::sneaky::D:D
YZGI

Post by YZGI »

gmc;1254465 wrote:

They're taking over the place and killing the indigenous population so my bet is they are american:sneaky::yh_rotfl

Touché:wah:
Chookie

Post by Chookie »

oscar;1254476 wrote: No it's not a hoax... Black Rabbit population is on the up. Mr O has seen them while out fishing in South Glou.

Yes it is. Black rabbits are descended from escaped pet "exotic" rabbits which are bred for colour, hair (Angora rabbits) or some physical feature such as "loppy" ears. There is also a melanistic form which has existed alongside normal rabbits....
An ye harm none, do what ye will....
Oscar Namechange

Chookie;1254517 wrote: Yes it is. Black rabbits are descended from escaped pet "exotic" rabbits which are bred for colour, hair (Angora rabbits) or some physical feature such as "loppy" ears. There is also a melanistic form which has existed alongside normal rabbits.... Do you get them in Scotland? In the past year we have seen many at night on the grass verges in South Gloucestershire. You don't see them at first until the headlights pick them up.
Clodhopper

Post by Clodhopper »

I think the Daily Mail articlke said they were a melanistic variation that has started to breed true. Mind you, that's the Daily Mail:

The pack of mutant black squirrels that are giving Britain's grey population a taste of their own medicine | Mail Online

Clodhopper

Post by Clodhopper »

I'm completely cuted out by our local grey squirrels.

The local male has got to the point that he'll take nuts from my hand. He gets very excited and occasionally mistakes the last joint of my finger for a nut. Before the bites penetrates skin he has (so far) always realised his mistake and let go. The female is shyer and won't let me close, and the recent litter is so shy that if they see me they're gone.

So cute I'm their helpless slave. :-4:-4

Oscar Namechange

Clodhopper;1254570 wrote: I'm completely cuted out by our local grey squirrels.

The local male has got to the point that he'll take nuts from my hand. He gets very excited and occasionally mistakes the last joint of my finger for a nut. Before the bites penetrates skin he has (so far) always realised his mistake and let go. The female is shyer and won't let me close, and the recent litter is so shy that if they see me they're gone.

So cute I'm their helpless slave. :-4:-4
I adore them also but had to deter them this year. I had Mistle Thrush nesting in my Clematis for the very first time as well as Greenfinch and Blackbird nests.

Most rodents are Incredibly short sighted and why Hamsters etc nip children. They mistake for food.

I love that moment with squirrells where they freeze and say 'HUH'??? As if they've heard a bus coming.
Clodhopper

Post by Clodhopper »

I adore them also but had to deter them this year. I had Mistle Thrush nesting in my Clematis for the very first time as well as Greenfinch and Blackbird nests.

Good for you. I had pigeons nesting in my garden and in London they are a definite pest. Squirrels acted as a very good birth control method. And we have a lot of magpies even if the squirrels weren't here.

Thinking of birdboxes for next year. Any advice?

Oscar Namechange

Clodhopper;1254582 wrote: Good for you. I had pigeons nesting in my garden and in London they are a definite pest. Squirrels acted as a very good birth control method. And we have a lot of magpies even if the squirrels weren't here.

Thinking of birdboxes for next year. Any advice?
The true art of getting birds to nest is not as simple as buying a nest box. It can take a couple of years of providing the right enviroment. Providing lots of cover is a must... bushes such as Pyracantha are popular as the thorns give them protection and also berries in winter. Don't be too harsh on pruning with climbers such as Clematis as they will nest in old growth. Privit hedging is good for nesting. Provide shelter with shrubs and tree's getting them first used to going to the tree's by hanging fat balls actually inside the tree. you need to make them feel safe and also safe from the weather. A long erstablished over-grown garden is the best place for nesting. Forget the fancy shop bought nesting boxes you see in pet shops. From experience, I think they are useless. Use anything natural such as a box made from straw. Get some broken branches from woods and stack randomly in the garden to encourage insect eating birds and to give a source of food that the birds will return to time again. Any ole wool, pet hair etc, drape on branches and on the ground during nest building time and they will use them. Hope that helps. :) Nearly forgot... Try to colour any nesting box green to camoflage the nest for them, they are far more likely to use it rather than a bright pink one. The more lurid the colour of the box, the more it will attract predators and the birds know this. Don't put the box out in the open but inside or very close to tree's and shrubs.
Clodhopper

Post by Clodhopper »

It's going to be tricky, then. My garden is about 12 foot by 20 and involves veg patch and faaaar too many cats.

I was thinking of putting a box or two on the north facing (non-garden) side of the house. Out of the direct sun and safe from felines. Can't provide the luxury apartments you can!

I think it's going to be a case of try it and see. Will certainly bear in mind the provision of nesting material. Cheers.

Oscar Namechange

Clodhopper;1254586 wrote: It's going to be tricky, then. My garden is about 12 foot by 20 and involves veg patch and faaaar too many cats.

I was thinking of putting a box or two on the north facing (non-garden) side of the house. Out of the direct sun and safe from felines. Can't provide the luxury apartments you can!

I think it's going to be a case of try it and see. Will certainly bear in mind the provision of nesting material. Cheers.
My front garden where I get all the birds is actually quite small but I did fore-see a bird haven when I moved in around 13 years ago and took into account the plants I'd need to attract them.

My advice to you with your garden would be to get some straw based boxes and place them high up near to the eaves of your roof. You may get Swallows, Martins etc and Blue Tits who like to nest high.

Position it under the eaves, away from any windows and out of the direct sun, wind and rain.

House martins build their nests under the eaves of houses. You could place a ready-made nest beneath the eaves, preferably on a north or east-facing wall and not above a door or window.

You can fix a small, removable shelf, 25 cm wide, about 2 metres beneath the nest site to catch any droppings. At the end of each season, you can take it down and clean it off, replacing it the following year before the birds return in April and May.
Odie

Post by Odie »

oscar;1254476 wrote: No it's not a hoax... Black Rabbit population is on the up. Mr O has seen them while out fishing in South Glou.

there you go Mick, being prestigious again!:yh_rotfl:yh_rotfl
gmc

Post by gmc »

oscar;1254518 wrote: Do you get them in Scotland? In the past year we have seen many at night on the grass verges in South Gloucestershire. You don't see them at first until the headlights pick them up.

Yes we do. There is also a colony of white rabbits near me as well which unbelievably are thriving. It's quite a sight seeing them along tjhe edges of the dual carraigeway. They live in warrens but seem to nest-for want of a better word-in shallow holes amongst the bushes. My wife's theory is that mixi has almost wiped out the burrow dwellers and those oddballs that didn't use them have survived to breed.
Oscar Namechange

gmc;1254712 wrote: Yes we do. There is also a colony of white rabbits near me as well which unbelievably are thriving. It's quite a sight seeing them along tjhe edges of the dual carraigeway. They live in warrens but seem to nest-for want of a better word-in shallow holes amongst the bushes. My wife's theory is that mixi has almost wiped out the burrow dwellers and those oddballs that didn't use them have survived to breed.
I have heard of wild white rabbits but I am surprised that you see so many. Like any Albino species, they are a beacon for predators, wild cats, fox etc. I've never seen one myself but the Black species is certainly thriving around here. I like the theory of the Mixi... It makes sense.
theia

Post by theia »

YZGI;1254382 wrote: Why? Are they American Gray squirrels? Can you tell by their accent?:D

:yh_rotfl
Live the questions now. Perhaps you will then gradually, without noticing it, live along some distant day into the answers...Rainer Maria Rilke
gmc

Post by gmc »

oscar;1254849 wrote: I have heard of wild white rabbits but I am surprised that you see so many. Like any Albino species, they are a beacon for predators, wild cats, fox etc. I've never seen one myself but the Black species is certainly thriving around here. I like the theory of the Mixi... It makes sense.

They're not albino they just have white hair-there are piebald ones as well.
Oscar Namechange

gmc;1255015 wrote: They're not albino they just have white hair-there are piebald ones as well.
I used the word Albino in the descriptive sense. Albino or white, I'm surprised they haven't been wiped out by predetors but then looking at how rapidly a rabbit breeds,
Lon

Post by Lon »

What a jolly interesting poll this is. I could not sleep last night while contemplating whether or not the Invasion Of Black Squirrels in the UK concerns me. If they were to carry the Plague like Black Rats centuries ago, that would not be pleasant, on the other hand and on a positive note, they could be a good food source for all in the UK. Stews and Soups made with Black Squirrels would provide a excellent source of protein for some Britishers of sallow complexion and anemic disposition.

Dr. Maynard K. Witherby, a Black Squirrel authority and author of the best selling book "How to Co-exist With The Black Squirrel" has stated "to eat Black Squirrel is a meal of a lifetime".
Oscar Namechange

Lon;1255030 wrote: What a jolly interesting poll this is. I could not sleep last night while contemplating whether or not the Invasion Of Black Squirrels in the UK concerns me. If they were to carry the Plague like Black Rats centuries ago, that would not be pleasant, on the other hand and on a positive note, they could be a good food source for all in the UK. Stews and Soups made with Black Squirrels would provide a excellent source of protein for some Britishers of sallow complexion and anemic disposition.

Dr. Maynard K. Witherby, a Black Squirrel authority and author of the best selling book "How to Co-exist With The Black Squirrel" has stated "to eat Black Squirrel is a meal of a lifetime". I beg to differ my Yankee Doodle Buddy. What may appear to you as an Innocuous rambling around the British Isles by these cute little fluffy things, Under-pinned Is a huge matter of concern for our Government. Please bear in mind that the Grey Squirrel who is being slaughtered in their droves, are infact American, How can you Idly stand by and watch this civil war on our Green and Plesent land of your own type? You must engage and help us fight them on the Beaches, send allied Troops but this time..... Please try to be punctual :yh_rotfl:yh_rotfl:yh_rotfl

Return to “Polls, Polls, and more Polls”