Find your ancestors...

Need help? Ask for it. Serious Discussions Only.
K.Snyder

Find your ancestors...

Post by K.Snyder »

I thought that it would be a good idea to post a thread allowing for those within the Forumgarden community to possibly throw around their leads associated with their family history in the hope that it may be a bit rewarding...

I do realize that there are geneology sites out there but from my experience you have to pay for most of them from which I just cannot afford to spend the money on at the moment...

Hence this thread...

I thought bringing about discussions about the history of names in general could be enlightening as well...

Post everything having to do with your ancestors here...
K.Snyder

Find your ancestors...

Post by K.Snyder »

I'd just recently been told that my great grandmothers' maiden name, on my fathers' side, was "Ballard"...

I'd looked up the meaning of the surname Ballard and this is what it said...

Celtic and Gaelic. From Ball, a place, a round elevation; and ard, high. The Gaelic word Ballart signifies noisy, boasting. Bal also signifies a lord, and ard, high.

My great-grandmother had married my great-grandfather to whom bore the name McClure and I find that both surnames being of Celtic and Gaelic origin is of no coincidence...

I'm completely intrigued as well as excited to search a bit down the "Ballard" family history as I've ran into a bit of a stand still in searching on the other sides of my family...

My "Soeller" and "Kastner" side of my family ends in 1911 from my great-great-grandmother, on my mothers' side, traveled to the new world on the USS Pennsylvania in 1911 when my great grandmother was 18 years old...Her mother(My great-great-grandmother) bore the name Soeller from which my great-grandmother married Andrew Kastner...From which my grandmother bore the name Kastner to Marry my grandfather to whom bore the name Manary(I've read Manary is of Irish origin) leading to my mother bearing the maiden name Manary until she'd eventually met and married my father from which my immediate family bares the name "Snyder"...

I'm interested in everything historical associated with the name Ballard if anyone on these boards are familiar with the name as well as could most hopefully have family to whom bares the name "Ballard"...
Hope6

Find your ancestors...

Post by Hope6 »

Edmund Burke wrote "Reflections on the Revolution in France" in 1790 he included the thought, "people will not look forward to posterity who never look backward to their ancestors"

i've always found that very interesting!

Family history research has been a passion of mine for over 10 years now, i love the idea of finding out where i come from!

here are a few tips that i have picked up along the way!

first of all, get as much information as you can from family members, it gives you a place to start.

prove EVERYTHING you learn! you don't want to spend days or weeks or years working on your ancestors record with an unproven fact only to discover later that you're not working on your true family!

The best proof is offical records, birth, marriage and death certificates.

Those old trunks in the attic! ask your relatives if they have any old records, Bibles, photos, legal papers and if you can look at them, old letters can be a great source of information!

always bring a notebook and write down everything you find!

the next step after family, is court houses and librarys, always remember to make sure the dates match up, there have been instance of finding someone with the right name but when you look at the birthdate their mother would have only been 6 or 7 years old! make sure everything makes sense!

and also be wary of the spelling of names, we have one family line who the spelling of the last name changed about 3 generations ago, it went from being spelled with a y to being spelled with an ie! at first glance you would assume it's the wrong line but upon looking closer we discovered it's the right one! thats where having information from the family came in handy!

anyway if anyone has questions i would be glad to try and help! :cool:
K.Snyder

Find your ancestors...

Post by K.Snyder »

Hope6;971165 wrote: Edmund Burke wrote "Reflections on the Revolution in France" in 1790 he included the thought, "people will not look forward to posterity who never look backward to their ancestors"

i've always found that very interesting!

Family history research has been a passion of mine for over 10 years now, i love the idea of finding out where i come from!

here are a few tips that i have picked up along the way!

first of all, get as much information as you can from family members, it gives you a place to start.

prove EVERYTHING you learn! you don't want to spend days or weeks or years working on your ancestors record with an unproven fact only to discover later that you're not working on your true family!

The best proof is offical records, birth, marriage and death certificates.

Those old trunks in the attic! ask your relatives if they have any old records, Bibles, photos, legal papers and if you can look at them, old letters can be a great source of information!

always bring a notebook and write down everything you find!

the next step after family, is court houses and librarys, always remember to make sure the dates match up, there have been instance of finding someone with the right name but when you look at the birthdate their mother would have only been 6 or 7 years old! make sure everything makes sense!

and also be wary of the spelling of names, we have one family line who the spelling of the last name changed about 3 generations ago, it went from being spelled with a y to being spelled with an ie! at first glance you would assume it's the wrong line but upon looking closer we discovered it's the right one! thats where having information from the family came in handy!

anyway if anyone has questions i would be glad to try and help! :cool:

Oh thank you Hope...

That's very helpful...

Do you still continue your searches regularly or have you come to a bit of a brick wall?...
Hope6

Find your ancestors...

Post by Hope6 »

K.Snyder;971535 wrote: Oh thank you Hope...

That's very helpful...

Do you still continue your searches regularly or have you come to a bit of a brick wall?...

i still try to whenever i have time, but a couple of the family lines have kinda come to a standstill, a courthouse was burned down during the civil war that would have been very helpful i think, but those records are lost!
K.Snyder

Find your ancestors...

Post by K.Snyder »

jimbo;971558 wrote: i think if wisey looked for his he would find them doing funny drawings of horses and bison in caves

mine would still be mistaken for bigfoot in the woods :D:D

Yes but what are their names?...:wah:...
K.Snyder

Find your ancestors...

Post by K.Snyder »

Hope6;971570 wrote: i still try to whenever i have time, but a couple of the family lines have kinda come to a standstill, a courthouse was burned down during the civil war that would have been very helpful i think, but those records are lost!

Yes...That's unfortunate...

On my mothers side I cannot go past my great-great-grandparents to whom had immigrated over here in the early 1900's...

I still have a few more links to explore RedGlitter has shared with me...I'll make the effort to begin doing so soon...
guppy

Find your ancestors...

Post by guppy »

I have seen a family geneology record done on my maternal grandmother's side..the original Mixon came from Ireland..he fought with the colonists against England and was awarded a farm for it. He was forty years old when he arrived here. His wife died a year later. They had twelve kids. he later remarried.
K.Snyder

Find your ancestors...

Post by K.Snyder »

guppy;971892 wrote: I have seen a family geneology record done on my maternal grandmother's side..the original Mixon came from Ireland..he fought with the colonists against England and was awarded a farm for it. He was forty years old when he arrived here. His wife died a year later. They had twelve kids. he later remarried.

Very interesting guppy...Can you go back any further?...

Here are a few links RedGlitter has given me...

Family Search

Ancestor Hunt

Mormon Data Files
guppy

Find your ancestors...

Post by guppy »

K.Snyder;971897 wrote: Very interesting guppy...Can you go back any further?...

Here are a few links RedGlitter has given me...

Family Search

Ancestor Hunt

Mormon Data Files

I didnt do it..another family member did it..i have the book stored somewhere ..god knows where..
Hope6

Find your ancestors...

Post by Hope6 »

K.Snyder;971891 wrote: Yes...That's unfortunate...

On my mothers side I cannot go past my great-great-grandparents to whom had immigrated over here in the early 1900's...

I still have a few more links to explore RedGlitter has shared with me...I'll make the effort to begin doing so soon...

there are a couple of lines that i haven't taken the time to really explore yet.

we've spent a lot of years trying to connect my husbands paternal line to Scotland, his brother is working on that one also.

my paternal grandmothers line from France can be traced to the man who came here in the 1700's before the revolutionary war, that line went on to also fight in the civil war and they were southern plantation owners.

where in contrast to that my maternal grandfathers line came from England, they had to become indentured servants to get here.

and then my maternal grandmothers line came from Germany just 2 generations before she was born, so that line is fairly new to this country.
BTS

Find your ancestors...

Post by BTS »

Great thread K.

If any fellow gardeners want help to get started I will try. (I usually charge a fee)

I have been doing genealogy for over 20 years and have access to many pay and free sites.

I will need to start on your ancestors born before the 1940's.

If you have their maiden (given) name the year they were born where they were born (city,county,state) and their parents same info I should be able to help you get started with your line.

I can also guide you through a free program to store and create GED files that you can use to export and import into your tree, add pics, videos and personal stories etc.........

I think it would be better if you IM me or if you want to put up here that is fine. Whatever you feel comfortable with.

Or you can e mail me at rbrtrhoads at aim dot com

And always remember...

When you come to a fork in your tree..............

TAKE IT
"If America Was A Tree, The Left Would Root For The Termites...Greg Gutfeld."
BTS

Find your ancestors...

Post by BTS »

Here are some guiglines on sharing your info:

Genealogical Standards & Guidelines

Standards For Sharing Information With Others

Recommended by the National Genealogical Society
Conscious of the fact that sharing information or data with others, whether through speech, documents or electronic media, is essential to family history research and that it needs continuing support and encouragement, responsible family historians consistently—

respect the restrictions on sharing information that arise from the rights of another as an author, originator or compiler; as a living private person; or as a party to a mutual agreement.

observe meticulously the legal rights of copyright owners, copying or distributing any part of their works only with their permission, or to the limited extent specifically allowed under the law's "fair use" exceptions.

identify the sources for all ideas, information and data from others, and the form in which they were received, recognizing that the unattributed use of another's intellectual work is plagiarism.

respect the authorship rights of senders of letters, electronic mail and data files, forwarding or disseminating them further only with the sender's permission.

inform people who provide information about their families as to the ways it may be used, observing any conditions they impose and respecting any reservations they may express regarding the use of particular items.

require some evidence of consent before assuming that living people are agreeable to further sharing of information about themselves.

convey personal identifying information about living people—like age, home address, occupation or activities—only in ways that those concerned have expressly agreed to.

recognize that legal rights of privacy may limit the extent to which information from publicly available sources may be further used, disseminated or published.

communicate no information to others that is known to be false, or without making reasonable efforts to determine its truth, particularly information that may be derogatory.

are sensitive to the hurt that revelations of criminal, immoral, bizarre or irresponsible behavior may bring to family members.

©2000 by National Genealogical Society. Permission is granted to copy or publish this material provided it is reproduced in its entirety, including this notice.

See also:
  • Standards for Sound Genealogical Research

Guidelines for Using Records, Repositories, and Libraries

Standards for Use of Technology In Genealogical Research

Standards for Sharing Information with Others

Guidelines for Publishing Web Pages on the Internet

Guidelines for Genealogical Self-Improvement and Growth

spot

Find your ancestors...

Post by spot »

BTS;971981 wrote: And always remember...

When you come to a fork in your tree..............

TAKE IT
You'd have a pretty inbred family without them!
Nullius in verba ... ☎||||||||||| ... To Fate I sue, of other means bereft, the only refuge for the wretched left.
When flower power came along I stood for Human Rights, marched around for peace and freedom, had some nooky every night - we took it serious.
Who has a spare two minutes to play in this month's FG Trivia game! ... My other OS is Slackware.
BTS

Find your ancestors...

Post by BTS »

K.Snyder;968988 wrote: I'd just recently been told that my great grandmothers' maiden name, on my fathers' side, was "Ballard"...

I'd looked up the meaning of the surname Ballard and this is what it said...

Celtic and Gaelic. From Ball, a place, a round elevation; and ard, high. The Gaelic word Ballart signifies noisy, boasting. Bal also signifies a lord, and ard, high.

My great-grandmother had married my great-grandfather to whom bore the name McClure and I find that both surnames being of Celtic and Gaelic origin is of no coincidence...

I'm completely intrigued as well as excited to search a bit down the "Ballard" family history as I've ran into a bit of a stand still in searching on the other sides of my family...

My "Soeller" and "Kastner" side of my family ends in 1911 from my great-great-grandmother, on my mothers' side, traveled to the new world on the USS Pennsylvania in 1911 when my great grandmother was 18 years old...Her mother(My great-great-grandmother) bore the name Soeller from which my great-grandmother married Andrew Kastner...From which my grandmother bore the name Kastner to Marry my grandfather to whom bore the name Manary(I've read Manary is of Irish origin) leading to my mother bearing the maiden name Manary until she'd eventually met and married my father from which my immediate family bares the name "Snyder"...

I'm interested in everything historical associated with the name Ballard if anyone on these boards are familiar with the name as well as could most hopefully have family to whom bares the name "Ballard"...

KS:

Where did the Ballards live here? Did she (Soeller) arrive in New York?

I found this and if it your family there is much info:

New York Passenger Lists, 1820-1957

about Minna Soeller

Name:Minna SoellerArrival Date:4 Feb 1911Estimated Birth Year:abt 1894Age:17 Gender:Female Port of Departure:Hamburg Ethnicity/Race­/Nationality:German Ship Name:Pennsylvania Search Ship Database:View the Pennsylvania in the 'Passenger Ships and Images' databasePort of Arrival:New York, New York Nativity:Germany Line:17 Microfilm Serial:T715 Microfilm Roll:T715_1625 Birth Location:Germany Birth Location Other:kallkappan Page Number:12

This would be I suppose Minna's Mother?

New York Passenger Lists, 1820-1957

about Henriette Soeller

Name:Henriette SoellerArrival Date:4 Feb 1911Estimated Birth Year:abt 1861Age:50 Gender:Female Port of Departure:Hamburg Ethnicity/Race­/Nationality:German Ship Name:Pennsylvania Search Ship Database:View the Pennsylvania in the 'Passenger Ships and Images' databasePort of Arrival:New York, New York Nativity:Germany Line:16 Microfilm Serial:T715 Microfilm Roll:T715_1625 Birth Location:Germany Birth Location Other:tillkalla Page Number:12

K.Snyder

Find your ancestors...

Post by K.Snyder »

BTS;972845 wrote: KS:

Where did the Ballards live here? Did she (Soeller) arrive in New York?

I found this and if it your family there is much info:

This would be I suppose Minna's Mother?

Yes Minna Soeller is my great grandmother to whom came over here from East Prussia...Her name was changed to Minnie Soeller from which later became Minnie Kastner upon Marrying Andrew Kastner...Her daughter was Clara Kastner, my grandmother, from which she had Married my grandfather to whoms' last name was Manary from which is my mothers maiden name...

Yes that excerpt is most definitely my great-grandmother...My great-great-grandmothers' name was Henriette...

Thank you...I definitely would like to discuss about how I can go further back into my family line on her side...

I appreciate it...
BTS

Find your ancestors...

Post by BTS »

KS:

Is this your family?

1920 United States Federal Census

about Minnie M Kastner

Name:Minnie M Kastner

Home in 1920 Dayton Ward 10, Montgomery, Ohio

Birthplace:East Prussia

Relation to Head of House:Wife Spouse's Name:Andrew J

Father's Birth Place:East Prussia Mother's Birth Place:East Prussia

Marital Status:Married Race:WhiteSex:Female

Year of Immigration:1911 Able to read:Yes Able to Write:Yes Image:726 Neighbors:View others on page

Household Members:

Name Age

Andrew J Kastner31

Minnie M Kastner26

Clara M Kastner4 6/12
K.Snyder

Find your ancestors...

Post by K.Snyder »

BTS;972870 wrote: KS:

Is this your family?

1920 United States Federal Census

about Minnie M Kastner

Name:Minnie M Kastner

Home in 1920 Dayton Ward 10, Montgomery, Ohio

Birthplace:East Prussia

Relation to Head of House:Wife Spouse's Name:Andrew J

Father's Birth Place:East Prussia Mother's Birth Place:East Prussia

Marital Status:Married Race:WhiteSex:Female

Year of Immigration:1911 Able to read:Yes Able to Write:Yes Image:726 Neighbors:View others on page

Household Members:

Name Age

Andrew J Kastner31

Minnie M Kastner26

Clara M Kastner4 6/12

Yes Minnie is my great-grandmother...I cannot click on your links however because I need to have an account at ancestry.com and I cannot afford to do so at the moment...

Thank you though...

Henriette Soeller is as far back as I've been able to go on my mothers maternal side of the family...
BTS

Find your ancestors...

Post by BTS »

KS:

This is a great story on a couple that went to Germany to search (her)family. It has some good pointers.

German Roots: A Personal Search

Genealogical Lessons from the Field

http://german.about.com/library/weekly/aa020830a.htm
BTS

Find your ancestors...

Post by BTS »

This is the BEST starting point for free sites and how to get started.

This link is to her census page of all the census' online. Most are free and updated quite often.

http://www.cyndislist.com/census.htm

This is her home page and quite overwhelming:

http://www.cyndislist.com/
K.Snyder

Find your ancestors...

Post by K.Snyder »

BTS;973064 wrote: This is the BEST starting point for free sites and how to get started.

This link is to her census page of all the census' online. Most are free and updated quite often.

http://www.cyndislist.com/census.htm

This is her home page and quite overwhelming:

http://www.cyndislist.com/

Thank you BTS I can't tell you how much I appreciate your help...
K.Snyder

Find your ancestors...

Post by K.Snyder »

How incredibly exhilerating...

I swear I feel like I'm in the pre Civil War era...

I've traced my family from my mothers paternal side of the family all of the way back to my great-great-grandparents to whom were born in abt 1830-1832...

My great-great-grandfather to whom's name is John Manary was born in Canada around 1830 and my great-great-grandmother to whom's name is Allen Manary was born in Ireland...

Was/Is Allen a popular girls name in Ireland?...

Again I'd like to thank BTS on all of the help you've given me...Thank you...
qsducks

Find your ancestors...

Post by qsducks »

Hope6;971570 wrote: i still try to whenever i have time, but a couple of the family lines have kinda come to a standstill, a courthouse was burned down during the civil war that would have been very helpful i think, but those records are lost!

Have you tried church records? They would also have marriage, baptism and deather records.
RedGlitter

Find your ancestors...

Post by RedGlitter »

K.Snyder;974239 wrote: How incredibly exhilerating...

I've traced my family from my mothers paternal side of the family all of the way back to my great-great-grandparents to whom were born in abt 1830-1832...

My great-great-grandfather to whom's name is John Manary was born in Canada around 1830 and my great-great-grandmother to whom's name is Allen Manary was born in Ireland...

How very cool for you!!! I'm glad you found some good stuff. :-6
qsducks

Find your ancestors...

Post by qsducks »

Yankee Magazine also has a geneology page in their magazine. Might be useful especially if you post the dates or birth/death, etc.
qsducks

Find your ancestors...

Post by qsducks »

My hubs side is all from Ireland and my side is partly from Ireland, England (Wales), and also French Canadian.
Hope6

Find your ancestors...

Post by Hope6 »

thats great Kevin! :cool:

i'm so glad you've had some success!
Hope6

Find your ancestors...

Post by Hope6 »

It's so interesting what little tidbits of information you can find!

i have a male ancestor that was in on the vote to decide if Virginia was going to suceed from the union!

and i have a female ancestor who was hauled into court for harboring her brother who was a confederate soilder! i still haven't found out what they did with her if anything!
Hope6

Find your ancestors...

Post by Hope6 »

qsducks;974314 wrote: My hubs side is all from Ireland and my side is partly from Ireland, England (Wales), and also French Canadian.

mine are from England, France, Germany, Scotland and possibly Native American but that line is still being worked on!
raptures_music

Find your ancestors...

Post by raptures_music »

I got into genealogy when I was about 14 (so 2001), but stopped searching because I didn't have access to a whole lot of helpful online resourses like I do now. Thanks for getting me back into it, Kevin!

Anyway I've managed to trace part of my family through my maternal grandfather's paternal grandmother (my great-great grandmother, surname Rector) to a man named Tyl Von Fispe born in what is now Germany (or possibly Poland, seeing as Prussia took up part of Poland for a while) in 1409. Another part of my great-great grandmother's family goes back to two men who crossed the Atlantic on the Mayflower: Isaac Allerton, Sr. and William Brewster.

I did find three names that have the wheels spinning, but going nowhere: Captain Thomas Willoughby, Thomas Newton, and Benjamin Berryman.

Willoughby and Berryman, for some strange reason, stand out to me. I can't help but think they were historical figures, yet I can't find anything else about them. My mother and I are wondering if Thomas Newton might be distantly related to Sir Isaac Newton.

If anyone can dredge up some info, here's what I have for these three men (bear in mind any years I've found might be on the Julian Calendar, not the Gregorian Calender [what we use today], so the dates might be off) :

Capt. Thomas Willoughby died in 1658 in England. I can't find a birth year or any record of his wife. He had one daughter that I've been able to find, Elizabeth Willoughby (married Isaac Allerton, Jr. around 1663).

I cannot find a birth or death year for Thomas Newton, but his son, John Newton, Sr., was born in 1639. John Newton, Jr., was born around 1657 in Anlaby, Yorkshire, England, and died 29 October 1699 in Stafford County, Virginia.

Benjamin Berryman does not have a birth year and died before 1702, probably in Westmoreland County, Pennsylvania. His wife's given name is Sarah, maiden name unknown. They had one daughter (that I've been able to find), Elizabeth, who was born around 1734. Elizabeth married John Newton, Jr.'s son William Newton between 1711 and 1717.

My uncle and grandmother (Mom's brother and mother) have resources available to help me trace my maternal grandfather's male line (Robie). I'm hoping these sources also include the families of the women who married into the Robie family. I'm also hoping Grandma can help me with her father's family, the Hannums, and her mother's family, the McDermotts just enough to get me started.

As for tips, one thing I've learned is that it's always helpful to be familiar with the graves of one's grandparents, especially in the rural areas. Families tend to be buried close together out in the rural areas; Granddad is buried next to his parents. Grandma's parents, older brother, and two of her sisters are buried in the same cemetery in Mt. Alto, West Virginia. It helps if you visit the graves with someone who knows whom is related to whom, provided anyone old enough to remember isn't senile and still alive.
"Do or do not. There is no try." ~Yoda

"Those who mind don't matter, and those who matter don't mind." ~Dr. Seuss
southern yankee

Find your ancestors...

Post by southern yankee »

i have done some research. on my mother's family. tracked the Hargis family back to Va. in 1777. Discovered they crossed the Cumberland Divide with Daniel Boone. That is how they came to Pulaski Co. in Ky. oh yes, i am related to Hangem High Hargis.

I am just a mutt. Ha!! Ha!! Irish, Scottish, Dutch, German, English, and Polish
BTS

Find your ancestors...

Post by BTS »

raptures_music;994887 wrote: I got into genealogy when I was about 14 (so 2001), but stopped searching because I didn't have access to a whole lot of helpful online resourses like I do now. Thanks for getting me back into it, Kevin!

Anyway I've managed to trace part of my family through my maternal grandfather's paternal grandmother (my great-great grandmother, surname Rector) to a man named Tyl Von Fispe born in what is now Germany (or possibly Poland, seeing as Prussia took up part of Poland for a while) in 1409. Another part of my great-great grandmother's family goes back to two men who crossed the Atlantic on the Mayflower: Isaac Allerton, Sr. and William Brewster.

I did find three names that have the wheels spinning, but going nowhere: Captain Thomas Willoughby, Thomas Newton, and Benjamin Berryman.

Willoughby and Berryman, for some strange reason, stand out to me. I can't help but think they were historical figures, yet I can't find anything else about them. My mother and I are wondering if Thomas Newton might be distantly related to Sir Isaac Newton.

If anyone can dredge up some info, here's what I have for these three men (bear in mind any years I've found might be on the Julian Calendar, not the Gregorian Calender [what we use today], so the dates might be off) :

Capt. Thomas Willoughby died in 1658 in England. I can't find a birth year or any record of his wife. He had one daughter that I've been able to find, Elizabeth Willoughby (married Isaac Allerton, Jr. around 1663).

I cannot find a birth or death year for Thomas Newton, but his son, John Newton, Sr., was born in 1639. John Newton, Jr., was born around 1657 in Anlaby, Yorkshire, England, and died 29 October 1699 in Stafford County, Virginia.

Benjamin Berryman does not have a birth year and died before 1702, probably in Westmoreland County, Pennsylvania. His wife's given name is Sarah, maiden name unknown. They had one daughter (that I've been able to find), Elizabeth, who was born around 1734. Elizabeth married John Newton, Jr.'s son William Newton between 1711 and 1717.

My uncle and grandmother (Mom's brother and mother) have resources available to help me trace my maternal grandfather's male line (Robie). I'm hoping these sources also include the families of the women who married into the Robie family. I'm also hoping Grandma can help me with her father's family, the Hannums, and her mother's family, the McDermotts just enough to get me started.

As for tips, one thing I've learned is that it's always helpful to be familiar with the graves of one's grandparents, especially in the rural areas. Families tend to be buried close together out in the rural areas; Granddad is buried next to his parents. Grandma's parents, older brother, and two of her sisters are buried in the same cemetery in Mt. Alto, West Virginia. It helps if you visit the graves with someone who knows whom is related to whom, provided anyone old enough to remember isn't senile and still alive.

Hello raptures, I found this and more info if you are interested,

3rd Great Grandfather of Zachary Taylor Thomas Willoughby

(1601-1657)

View Person Page

Elizabeth Willoughby

(1635-1672)

View Person Page

Sarah Allerton

(1671-1731)

View Person Page

Elizabeth Lee

(1709-1750)

View Person Page

Richard Taylor

(1744-1829)

View Person Page

Zachary Taylor

(1784-1850)

View Person Page
BTS

Find your ancestors...

Post by BTS »

If you follow this first Richard Wydeville down it ties into your Thomas Willoughby

then follow down the next Richard Wydeville (starting half way down) it ties into Isaac Newton:

PM me if you want a better format.

From what I see you are related to the WHOs Who of famous early Americans

Richard Wydeville (1412-1469) 4th Great Grandfather of Thomas Willoughby

View Person Page

Elizabeth Wydeville

(1437-1492)

View Person Page

Thomas Grey

(1455-1501)

View Person Page

Dorothy Grey

(1480-1552)

View Person Page

Thomas Willoughby

(1537-1596)

View Person Page

Thomas Willoughby

(1570-1648)

View Person Page

Thomas Willoughby

(1601-1657)

Richard Wydeville (1412-1469) 4th Great Grandfather of Isaac Newton

View Person Page

Anthony Wydeville

(1440-1483)

View Person Page

Margaret Wydeville

(1455-1520)

View Person Page

Anthony Poyntz

(1480-1535)

View Person Page

Margaret Poyntz

(1511-1568)

View Person Page

Isaac Newton

(1606-1642)

View Person Page

Isaac Newton

(1643-1727)

View Person Page
spot

Find your ancestors...

Post by spot »

raptures_music;994887 wrote: Benjamin Berryman does not have a birth year and died before 1702, probably in Westmoreland County, Pennsylvania. His wife's given name is Sarah, maiden name unknown. They had one daughter (that I've been able to find), Elizabeth, who was born around 1734. Elizabeth married John Newton, Jr.'s son William Newton between 1711 and 1717.

The International Genealogical Index (North America) is as confusing as usual. The form to fill in to get what I got is at http://www.ancestorhunt.com/mormon_church_records.htm

The way I'd read it for Westmoreland County is that there's two people called Benjamin Berryman

One Benjamin Berryman has

Father: James (sometimes John) Berryman

Mother: Jane Tucker

Spouse: Elizabeth Newton

The other Benjamin Berryman has:

Father: John Berryman

Mother: Elizabeth Fulford

Spouse 1: Sarah Tucker

Spouse 2: Joan Barr

and he could have been dead by 1702 as you say.

One Benjamin Berryman was born on 7 December 1669 Westmoreland County Virginia (one record says 1670, two say 1672)

One Benjamin Berryman died on 27 August 1729 Westmoreland County Virginia Buried King George Virginia.

Both dates might be for the same person or one for each.

Dates at which each Benjamin Berryman was known to be married seem to be:

1684 Elizabeth Newton

1688 Sarah

1689 Elizabeth Newton

1691 Sarah Tucker

1691 Sarah Tucker

1693 Sarah Tucker

1695 Elizabeth Newton

1695 Joan Barr

1708 Elizabeth Newton, Washington Parish, Westmoreland, Virginia

Your Elizabeth Berryman marrying William Newton Jr sounds cousin-like, as does that Jane Tucker / Sarah Tucker combination.
Nullius in verba ... ☎||||||||||| ... To Fate I sue, of other means bereft, the only refuge for the wretched left.
When flower power came along I stood for Human Rights, marched around for peace and freedom, had some nooky every night - we took it serious.
Who has a spare two minutes to play in this month's FG Trivia game! ... My other OS is Slackware.
BTS

Find your ancestors...

Post by BTS »

raptures_music;994887 wrote:

WOW.........There is a lots of info on your family............

Thomas Newton

Born: 1614

Kingston On Hull, [parish], Yorkshire, England

Died: 1680

Kingston On Hull, [parish], Yorkshire, England

Spouse

Johan Eyon

Born: 1614 in Great Burstead, [parish], Essex, England

Died: Great Burstead, [parish], Essex, England

Marriage: 10 Dec 1635 in Great Burstead, [parish], Essex, England

ChildrenSexBirth

John Newton M Born:1639 in Carleton Manor, Kingstononhull, Yorkshire, England

John Newton Sr.

Born:1639

Carleton Manor, Kingstononhull, Yorkshire, England Died: 28 Jul 1697

Westmoreland, [county], Virginia, USA

Spouse 1

Joan Barr

Born: 1640 in Anlaby, [parish], Yorkshire, England

Died: Anlaby, [parish], Yorkshire, England

Marriage: abt 1660 in Anlaby, [parish], Yorkshire, England

ChildrenSexBirth

John Newton M Born:abt 1657 in Anlaby, [parish], Yorkshire, England

Joseph Newton M Born:1659 in Kings-Upon-Hull, [parish], Yorkshire, England

Spouse 2

Elizabeth Laycocke

Born: 1633 in Shelby, [parish], Yorkshire, England

Died:

Marriage: 1669 in Selby, [parish], Yorkshire, England

ChildrenSexBirth

Benjamin Newton M Born:1669 in St Paul Prsh, Stafford, Virginia, USA

John Newton Jr.

Born: abt 1657

Anlaby, [parish], Yorkshire, England

Died: 29 Oct 1699

Stafford, [county], Virginia, USA

Spouse Mary Allerton

Born: 1664 in Westmoreland, [county], Virginia, USA

Died: 1700 in Stafford, [county], Virginia, USA

Marriage: 1685 in Westmoreland, [county], Virginia, USA

ChildrenSexBirth

Frances Newton F Born:1685 in [city], Gloucester, Virginia, USA

William Newton M Born: 1686 in Westmoreland, [county], Virginia, USA

Allerton Newton M Born: abt 1691 in Westmoreland, [county], Virginia, USA

James Newton M Born:1691 in [city], [county], Virginia, USA
Hope6

Find your ancestors...

Post by Hope6 »

southern yankee;995165 wrote: i have done some research. on my mother's family. tracked the Hargis family back to Va. in 1777. Discovered they crossed the Cumberland Divide with Daniel Boone. That is how they came to Pulaski Co. in Ky. oh yes, i am related to Hangem High Hargis.

I am just a mutt. Ha!! Ha!! Irish, Scottish, Dutch, German, English, and Polish

i guess you can call me a mutt too! :wah: English, French, German, Scottish and a little Native American too! :cool:
raptures_music

Find your ancestors...

Post by raptures_music »

spot;995340 wrote: The way I'd read it for Westmoreland County is that there's two people called Benjamin Berryman

One Benjamin Berryman has

Father: James (sometimes John) Berryman

Mother: Jane Tucker

Spouse: Elizabeth Newton

The other Benjamin Berryman has:

Father: John Berryman

Mother: Elizabeth Fulford

Spouse 1: Sarah Tucker

Spouse 2: Joan Barr

and he could have been dead by 1702 as you say.

One Benjamin Berryman was born on 7 December 1669 Westmoreland County Virginia (one record says 1670, two say 1672)

One Benjamin Berryman died on 27 August 1729 Westmoreland County Virginia Buried King George Virginia.

Both dates might be for the same person or one for each.

Dates at which each Benjamin Berryman was known to be married seem to be:

1684 Elizabeth Newton

1688 Sarah

1689 Elizabeth Newton

1691 Sarah Tucker

1691 Sarah Tucker

1693 Sarah Tucker

1695 Elizabeth Newton

1695 Joan Barr

1708 Elizabeth Newton, Washington Parish, Westmoreland, Virginia

Your Elizabeth Berryman marrying William Newton Jr sounds cousin-like, as does that Jane Tucker / Sarah Tucker combination.

I'm pretty sure the Berryman I'm looking for is the second one, and you're right, the IGI(NA) is confusing. If the Benjamin Berryman I'm looking for died before 1702, then marrying an Elizabeth Newton (his granddaughter) in 1708 (or any of the other years he's listed as having married her) is out of the question, as is dying in 1729.

Thank you so much for all the help. I really appreciate it.
"Do or do not. There is no try." ~Yoda

"Those who mind don't matter, and those who matter don't mind." ~Dr. Seuss
Steveg

Find your ancestors...

Post by Steveg »

Talking about ancestors. I am born and bred in England and still live here. I have traced back my earliest American ancestor back to a women who took our family name from England. She sailed from the port of Liverpool on a ship called 'The Concorde' in 1666 and landed or disembarked in Virginia USA...how cool is that?
spot

Find your ancestors...

Post by spot »

How when and why did your bloodline return to these shores, Steve?
Cazza

Find your ancestors...

Post by Cazza »

I am very interested in Genealogy and have traced my ancestry on all sides of my family.

I think the most interesting surname in my family tree is the name BLAZA.

I have gone back to 1745 and all of them at that time where living in Norfolk or Suffolk. We are not sure where they are from but it has been said they probably come from Spain or Yugoslavia.

Another interesting surname is FRANCE, originating either from Northern France or Ireland.

JOHNSTON is another name in my family tree orginating from County Cavan in Northern Ireland.
K.Snyder

Find your ancestors...

Post by K.Snyder »

I'd recently discovered that I have significant ancestry both from Ireland and England and I'm quite confident I have Scottish ancestry as well considering my paternal grandmothers maiden name was McClure and they original hail from Kentucky, from which was quite a settling point for the Scottish and Irish during the great migrations to the Americas.

I assume my paternal grandmothers family is from Scotland because I do believe the surname McClure is predominately Scottish as well as my father looks more Scottish than Irish. He's relatively short(5' 8" - 173 cm), stocky, with a square sort of face.

None the less my, in hindsight, recent genetic make up consists of Irish, Scottish(I'm certain of it!), English, German, and Native American.

*Both of my paternal great grandmothers hails from English families so far consisting of Margaret Nee Ballard(B: 1748 D: 1849) married to Henry Ballard (B: ? D: ?) and John Dennis whom married Ann Snow Reed(Reid) both born 1735 in Littleham, Devon, England! Ann Snow Reed's parents were William Reed(Reid) and Mary Ann Reed(Reid)!

My paternal grandfather's mother's grandparents were David Y and Elizabeth Atkins from which I believe "Atkins" is quite a common surname in England!

My mother's Paternal family I've researched to John and Allen Manary both born about 1830. John having been born in Canada! And Allen was born in Ireland! I don't know Allen's maiden name so would be difficult to find out as I've not found any marriage information as of yet. John and Allen Manary's children in 1870 Fort Wayne Ward 1, Allen, Indiana were

Levi Manary 15

Kattie Manary 13

Esther Manary 11

Allen Manary 9

Elizza Manary 7

Maggie Manary 5

John Manary 2

William Manary 2/12

Levi, or Levy Manary is my great, great grandfather!

*Subject to further investigation as this information is stemmed off of another member's profile from which Leeds:yh_wink to my family already having been researched by me personally. I've no reason to suspect it's wrong.

Return to “Friends, Relationships, Advice”