At Last !!!!!!...

Discuss the latest political news.
Oscar Namechange

At Last !!!!!!...

Post by Oscar Namechange »

Now the Government want competence test before you can be a dog owner | Mail Online
At the going down of the sun and in the morning, we will remember them. R.L. Binyon
FUBAR

At Last !!!!!!...

Post by FUBAR »

No surprise really. While we have an uber control freak party in charge how long before the populace will be chipped and tests for parents ? :lips:
buttercup

At Last !!!!!!...

Post by buttercup »

The responsible will comply, the irresponsible will ignore. The government are behind it so it wont be properly thought out or run anyway. The only people laughing here are the insurance companies.
el guapo

At Last !!!!!!...

Post by el guapo »

wonder how much it will cost us
"To be foolish and to recognize that one is foolish, is better than to be foolish and imagine that one is wise."
buttercup

At Last !!!!!!...

Post by buttercup »

Is it you that has the staffie el guapo?
gmc

At Last !!!!!!...

Post by gmc »

What a stupid idea-how on earth are they going to check up on that-random chip checks or something. who will pay for all the extra dog wardens etc etc. responsible owners already have their dogs chipped and have insurance anyway. Next you will need a certificate to show you are competent to pick up dog poo.
buttercup

At Last !!!!!!...

Post by buttercup »

We should follow France.

In France you are obliged to have public liability insurance that covers your dog and this is attached to your house insurance policy.

Starting this year any owner of a category 2 dog, (Dangerous dog, lesser category) which includes Rottweillers etc MUST:

1) Register the dog with the local council (this is at the Mairie, or village mayors office: so is very local).

2) The dog must be microchipped.

3) The owner must attend a 1 day training course by a registered trainer of that course.

4) The dog must be inspected by a vet (registered to do so) and assessed for temperament.

5) The dog must be on a lead and wear a muzzle at all times when off the owners property and must be properly contained when on their property.
gmc

At Last !!!!!!...

Post by gmc »

The dog must be on a lead and wear a muzzle at all times when off the owners property and must be properly contained when on their property.

Can't say I agree with you there-I let mine off the lead whenever possible and throw balls and frisbees for him-mind you I keep it one one if there are kids little around or near traffic having to keep a dog on a lead and muzzled would take away most of the pleasure in owning a dog-besides mountain biking with him wouldn't be the same.
buttercup

At Last !!!!!!...

Post by buttercup »

gmc;1293564 wrote: Can't say I agree with you there-I let mine off the lead whenever possible and throw balls and frisbees for him-mind you I keep it one one if there are kids little around or near traffic having to keep a dog on a lead and muzzled would take away most of the pleasure in owning a dog-besides mountain biking with him wouldn't be the same.

Yes i understand your situation and feel for you.

My take on this is that there are many breeds of dog who have high prey drive ect.

Do we ban all those types of dog or put forward measures to control them?

I think Ceaser Millan put forward a good case for the pit bull with 'Daddy' r.i.p

Its not the dogs, its the owners.
K.Snyder

At Last !!!!!!...

Post by K.Snyder »

Show of hands, how many people here think this will worsen the current problem?

All one need do is pass what I can only imagine is a simpler test than an open book quiz and they will be automatically granted to have a dog.

This purely will allow all of the dangerous people to have dogs while the law abiding citizens will be stripped clean! of their right to defend themselves!
Oscar Namechange

At Last !!!!!!...

buttercup;1293565 wrote: Yes i understand your situation and feel for you.

My take on this is that there are many breeds of dog who have high prey drive ect.

Do we ban all those types of dog or put forward measures to control them?

I think Ceaser Millan put forward a good case for the pit bull with 'Daddy' r.i.p

Its not the dogs, its the owners. I've actually totally changed my mind since posting the OP. At first I was over-joyed that SOMETHING was being done but the more I looked Into the proposal, the more down-right Bloody Ridiculous It Is.

gmc Is right... All responsible dog owners have their dogs chipped and Insured any-way. My Dogs and Cats are Insured with Direct Line... They do a good package for more than one dog.

Responsible Dog owners also ensure their fencing Is up to Scratch and regually check for gaps because they don't want their pet mowed down In the road.

Responsible Dog owners know their dogs traits. Where It Is safe to let them muzzle free and where It Is not.

A lot of my Dogs exercise Is throwing balls In the Field also.

I think a more sensible proposal In hindsight would be to re-Introduce the Dog Licence putting It up to say £100 with a large discount for pensioners. Any-one found not In possession of a Licence would face court action. Waddya think?
At the going down of the sun and in the morning, we will remember them. R.L. Binyon
Bryn Mawr
Site Admin

At Last !!!!!!...

Post by Bryn Mawr »

oscar;1293584 wrote: I've actually totally changed my mind since posting the OP. At first I was over-joyed that SOMETHING was being done but the more I looked Into the proposal, the more down-right Bloody Ridiculous It Is.

gmc Is right... All responsible dog owners have their dogs chipped and Insured any-way. My Dogs and Cats are Insured with Direct Line... They do a good package for more than one dog.

Responsible Dog owners also ensure their fencing Is up to Scratch and regually check for gaps because they don't want their pet mowed down In the road.

Responsible Dog owners know their dogs traits. Where It Is safe to let them muzzle free and where It Is not.

A lot of my Dogs exercise Is throwing balls In the Field also.

I think a more sensible proposal In hindsight would be to re-Introduce the Dog Licence putting It up to say £100 with a large discount for pensioners. Any-one found not In possession of a Licence would face court action. Waddya think?

Far more sensible. Add to that a provision that, in order to get a dog license the dog must be chipped and the owner must hold public liability insurance (which would be cheap given the ratio of dogs to damage caused) and it would do the job.
K.Snyder

At Last !!!!!!...

Post by K.Snyder »

Is their restrictive policies in regards to K-9 breeding in the UK?

I know if K-9 breeding in the U.S were restricted extensively our problem with overpopulated dogs wouldn't be the issue that it is now...
Oscar Namechange

At Last !!!!!!...

K.Snyder;1293598 wrote: Is their restrictive policies in regards to K-9 breeding in the UK?

I know if K-9 breeding in the U.S were restricted extensively our problem with overpopulated dogs wouldn't be the issue that it is now...
Here In the UK, every rescue home Is stuffed to the gills with unwanted dogs and cats. Many are abused.

Pit Bulls are Illegal here but Idiots still breed them.

I'd like to see the mass producing puppy farms here faced with Prison when prosecuted. They bring nothing but misery.
Raven

At Last !!!!!!...

Post by Raven »

FUBAR;1293464 wrote: No surprise really. While we have an uber control freak party in charge how long before the populace will be chipped and tests for parents ? :lips:
I totally agree. But that is what happens when you give the actual governing bit to Europe. Its all they have to do now, micro manage lives.:thinking:
~Quoth the Raven, Nevermore!~
gmc

At Last !!!!!!...

Post by gmc »

Raven;1293680 wrote: I totally agree. But that is what happens when you give the actual governing bit to Europe. Its all they have to do now, micro manage lives.:thinking:

What on earth has this got to do with europe?
Oscar Namechange

At Last !!!!!!...

gmc;1293772 wrote: What on earth has this got to do with europe? It's all to do with these foriegn breeds of dogs.... Coming over here taking our jobs and claiming benifit. :rolleyes: :yh_rotfl

Return to “Current Political Events”