6.9 (now 7.2) Magnitude Quake Rocks San Diego County

What's the weather like today?
CARLA

Post by CARLA »

I can say in my 62 years living in San Diego this was a big one felt every bit of it for about a minute. It was rocking and rolling so much it made me dizzy... :-6 It has been upgraded to a 7.2 YIKES..

[QUOTE]

6.9 Magnitude Quake Rocks San Diego County

A 6.9 earthquake epicentered near Mexicali has rocked all of Southern

California, and set high rise buildings in the San Diego area rocking back and

forth.

Earthquake Details

Magnitude 6.9

Date-Time

* Sunday, April 04, 2010 at 22:40:39 UTC

* Sunday, April 04, 2010 at 03:40:39 PM at epicenter

Location 32.093°N, 115.249°W

Depth 32.3 km (20.1 miles)

Region BAJA CALIFORNIA, MEXICO

Distances

* 26 km (16 miles) SSW (211°) from Guadalupe Victoria, Baja California, Mexico

* 61 km (38 miles) SW (227°) from San Luis Río Colorado, Sonora, Mexico

* 64 km (40 miles) SW (225°) from San Luis, AZ

* 173 km (108 miles) ESE (106°) from Tijuana, Baja California, Mexico

Location Uncertainty horizontal +/- 5.8 km (3.6 miles); depth +/- 21.1 km (13.1 miles)

Parameters Nph=014, Dmin=76 km, Rmss=0.2 sec, Gp=292°,

M-type=local magnitude (ML), Version=1

Source

* California Integrated Seismic Net:

* USGS Caltech CGS UCB UCSD UNR

[/QUOTE]
ALOHA!!

MOTTO TO LIVE BY:

"Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, chocolate in one hand, champagne in the other, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming.

WOO HOO!!, what a ride!!!"

K.Snyder

Post by K.Snyder »

CARLA;1301760 wrote: I can say in my 62 years living in San Diego this was a big on felt every bit of it for about a minute. It was rocking and rolling so much it made me dizzy... :-6

Oh wow that was a big one...

An earthquake with a preliminary magnitude of 6.9 erupted just south of the U.S-Mexico border at 3: 40 p.m., shaking most of Southern California, including Orange County. The quake was felt as a long, slow roller in Orange County, and occurred in an area that has had several smaller earthquakes in recent days.

“This could be related to one of the big faults in Southern California,” says Bob Dollar, a seismologist with the U.S. Geological Survey. “The area of today’s quake is very complex. It appears to be near a big geothermal area. There have been many quakes in that area before. http://sciencedude.freedomblogging.com/ ... o-c/95905/

San Diego Shakes: 6.9 Magnitude Earthquake Rocks Southern/Baja California Areas Temple of Mut
spot

Post by spot »

I'm glad you're still able to communicate, Carla.

How heavily populated is the area south of the border?
Nullius in verba ... ☎||||||||||| ... To Fate I sue, of other means bereft, the only refuge for the wretched left.
When flower power came along I stood for Human Rights, marched around for peace and freedom, had some nooky every night - we took it serious.
Who has a spare two minutes to play in this month's FG Trivia game! ... My other OS is Slackware.
chonsigirl

Post by chonsigirl »

Very populated. Oh Carla, that was a big one.
CARLA

Post by CARLA »

It is Mexico basically Mexicali Baja area very populated depending or where the center was. Haven't heard of any damages yet, I'm sure there is some as they don't build to withstand earthquakes like we to in California.:-6:-6

Have felt several after shocks now. I can say this was a huge roller it made me move fast :wah:. I was surprised at how nauseated I got and dizzy, never had that happen before.
ALOHA!!

MOTTO TO LIVE BY:

"Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, chocolate in one hand, champagne in the other, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming.

chonsigirl

Post by chonsigirl »

OH, watch those aftershocks, what an end to a holiday!
K.Snyder

Post by K.Snyder »

spot;1301767 wrote: I'm glad you're still able to communicate, Carla.

How heavily populated is the area south of the border?

Tijuana (English pronunciation: /ˌtiː.əˈwɑːnə/,[2] Spanish: [tiˈxwana]), is the largest city of the Mexican state of Baja California, situated on the U.S.-Mexico border adjacent to its sister city of San Diego, California...

...According to the 2005 census, the Tijuana metropolitan area was the sixth-largest in Mexico, with a population of 1,483,992, and one of the fastest growing cities in Mexico. Tijuana - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia Tijuana is the only heavily populated area close to San Diego that would have felt the 6.9.
Lon

Post by Lon »

Hang tight Carla
spot

Post by spot »

You're 125 miles from it? I wonder whether there will be any recovery effort from your area sent in, water bowsers and digging equipment and such. There's bound to be damage to Mexicali, it seems very close. Have you ever been there?
Nullius in verba ... ☎||||||||||| ... To Fate I sue, of other means bereft, the only refuge for the wretched left.
When flower power came along I stood for Human Rights, marched around for peace and freedom, had some nooky every night - we took it serious.
Who has a spare two minutes to play in this month's FG Trivia game! ... My other OS is Slackware.
Lon

Post by Lon »

Magnitude 6.9 Earthquake Rocks San Diego and Southern California - San Diego 6
CARLA

Post by CARLA »

OK the magnitude has now be raised to 7.2 amazing..!!

Yes I have been there many times and I'm sure there will be responders sent from San Diego if they are needed. So far here there is scattered report of minor damages here. :-6 Over 75% of the Mexican population lives in the capital city, Mexicali, Ensenada, or in Tijuana. Other important cities include San Felipe, Playas de Rosarito. My guess is about 700,000 to 900,000 people live in this area. Center was 110 SE of Tijuana and there are report of damage. The largest Mexican city near the epicenter -- about 24 miles (55 kilometers) away -- is Guadelupe Victoria, with a population of about 14,800.
ALOHA!!

MOTTO TO LIVE BY:

Ahso!

Post by Ahso! »

Glad you made it through, Carla.

Do you think Hoppy is right about about these earth quakes being messages from God? What have you and your neighbors been doing 'wrong'?
“Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities,”

Voltaire

I have only one thing to do and that's

Be the wave that I am and then

Sink back into the ocean

Fiona Apple
Odie

Post by Odie »

Oh Carla, I just heard this on the news as I've been out today.

thank goodness you are alright.

good grief, you must have been petrified!:eek:
Life is just to short for drama.
TruthBringer

Post by TruthBringer »

Get out.

This is only the first of a string of Earthquakes that will shake many cities in California to their foundations. We have still 2 and 1/2 years before December 21st, 2012, and all that time California will be getting rocked by quakes. There will be massive fires including the Hollywood/Los Angeles area. It will be horrible. This was nothing. The ones that will cause that damage would scare anybody, no matter how long they have lived in California.
Link removed by moderator
Patsy Warnick

Post by Patsy Warnick »

Carla

Felt it here too !!!!

wouldn't really know - but I was on the patio & watched the water in the pool and soon the water was on the cool deck & patio

Pretty good rocking

Haven't seen that since @ 1996

Patsy
ZAP

Post by ZAP »

I live about 15 miles from Mexicali. I'm in Las Vegas now but I heard about it on the news & called my daughter who lives next door to my house. She said I have a lot of broken glass, stuff all over my house. It threw a tv set off the entertainment center, pictures off walls, broken stuff all over the place--a big mess. I was planning on doing some stuff to my house here & staying a week but I'll be leaving in the morning to go home & start cleaning up there.

The news says they've closed the downtown area of Calexico due to heavy damage. This is the city on the U.S. side of the border at Mexicali. And this was on a fault that hasn't been active in over 100 years.
OpenMind

Post by OpenMind »

I've only just this minute read about the earthquake on FB and my first thought was of you Carla. I'm glad you're safe but obviously a very unpleasant experience for you.

Take care now, won't you.
Jazzy

Post by Jazzy »

Oh my goodness that was a big one! I'm so glad you are okay Carla!
spot

Post by spot »

Zapata;1301827 wrote: I was planning on doing some stuff to my house here & staying a week but I'll be leaving in the morning to go home & start cleaning up there.It's baffling that some major earthquakes are so much more catastrophic than others, this one was major, I'm so glad you found your family in one piece. Do let us know how your neighborhood copes over the next few days and weeks, and stay safe.
Odie

Post by Odie »

Zapata;1301827 wrote: I live about 15 miles from Mexicali. I'm in Las Vegas now but I heard about it on the news & called my daughter who lives next door to my house. She said I have a lot of broken glass, stuff all over my house. It threw a tv set off the entertainment center, pictures off walls, broken stuff all over the place--a big mess. I was planning on doing some stuff to my house here & staying a week but I'll be leaving in the morning to go home & start cleaning up there.

The news says they've closed the downtown area of Calexico due to heavy damage. This is the city on the U.S. side of the border at Mexicali. And this was on a fault that hasn't been active in over 100 years.

I'm so sorry to hear this!:(

Keep safe!
Life is just to short for drama.
CARLA

Post by CARLA »

;) I did get out of my house in about a 1/2 second, ran from my office down the hall through the living room out the front door with purse and IPHONE in hand ran into the street like lightening. All our power is underground here so dropping powerlines weren't an issue :D Our other office in EL Centro has damage from a celing that collapsed outside the door of the office in a walkway.

Thank you everyone for your kind words and concern this ole girl has been to this dance many times. I will say this was huge trying to run out the door while it was rolling and shaking made me dizzy and nausated guess that would happen if the ground below your feet was moving.

[QUOTE] Get out.

This is only the first of a string of Earthquakes that will shake many cities in California to their foundations. We have still 2 and 1/2 years before December 21st, 2012, and all that time California will be getting rocked by quakes. There will be massive fires including the Hollywood/Los Angeles area. It will be horrible. This was nothing. The ones that will cause that damage would scare anybody, no matter how long they have lived in California.

[/QUOTE]
ALOHA!!

MOTTO TO LIVE BY:

busterbloodvessel

Post by busterbloodvessel »

we had one in england last year just an aftershock i think it lasted only a couple of seconds

and shook the bed & wardrobe and woke me up as we dont normally get them it really frightened me.

take care carla
cars

Post by cars »

CARLA;1301869 wrote: ;) I did get out of my house in about a 1/2 second, ran from my office down the hall through the living room out the front door with purse and IPHONE in hand ran into the street like lightening. All our power is underground here so dropping powerlines weren't an issue :D Our other office in EL Centro has damage from a celing that collapsed outside the door of the office in a walkway.

Thank you everyone for your kind words and concern this ole girl has been to this dance many times. I will say this was huge trying to run out the door while it was rolling and shaking made me dizzy and nausated guess that would happen if the ground below your feet was moving.
Wow glad you were unscathed CARLA, keep vigilante for the next few days untill all after shocks subside. Good luck, best wishes, & stay safe!
Cars :)
ZAP

Post by ZAP »

spot;1301846 wrote: It's baffling that some major earthquakes are so much more catastrophic than others, this one was major, I'm so glad you found your family in one piece. Do let us know how your neighborhood copes over the next few days and weeks, and stay safe.

Baffling is the word! In my house it's amazing to me that there wasn'[t a lot more damage. My daughter & son-in-law had all the glass cleaned up and disorder straightened up by the time I drove home from Nevada and things that weren't reparable had been tossed so I wouldn't walk in and have to look at it. They video taped the rubble and I looked at it last night. But one story to illustrate the qirky nature of this quake is this huge painting of a garden, approx. 4'x5', which jumped off the wall, by-passed a round glass table beneath it, which had a huge glass vase sitting on it and landed upright on the carpet, glass unbroken. I'm going to go through my house and make sure things are more secure and safer for the people who happen to be in the house. We're having an incredible amount of aftershocks. (One just now in fact! It was a 3, 20 miles away, 3 miles deep and shook like it might lead to a bigger one. You get shell-shocked with these things. My foot usually hits the floor at the first sign of a tremor, ready to race to a doorway.)

My daughter talked to the hospital where she works as a dialysis nurse in El Centro. One of their 2-story (Human Resources) buildings split in half. I'm going out now to shop and I'm sure I'll hear a lot of horror stories.
cars

Post by cars »

Zapata;1302070 wrote: Baffling is the word! In my house it's amazing to me that there wasn'[t a lot more damage. My daughter & son-in-law had all the glass cleaned up and disorder straightened up by the time I drove home from Nevada and things that weren't reparable had been tossed so I wouldn't walk in and have to look at it. They video taped the rubble and I looked at it last night. But one story to illustrate the qirky nature of this quake is this huge painting of a garden, approx. 4'x5', which jumped off the wall, by-passed a round glass table beneath it, which had a huge glass vase sitting on it and landed upright on the carpet, glass unbroken. I'm going to go through my house and make sure things are more secure and safer for the people who happen to be in the house. We're having an incredible amount of aftershocks. (One just now in fact! It was a 3, 20 miles away, 3 miles deep and shook like it might lead to a bigger one. You get shell-shocked with these things. My foot usually hits the floor at the first sign of a tremor, ready to race to a doorway.)

My daughter talked to the hospital where she works as a dialysis nurse in El Centro. One of their 2-story (Human Resources) buildings split in half. I'm going out now to shop and I'm sure I'll hear a lot of horror stories.
Wow unbelievable, you to Zap, good luck, take care & stay safe!!!

(And to all others in Quake zone!)
Cars :)
spot

Post by spot »

Zapata;1302070 wrote: I'm going out now to shop and I'm sure I'll hear a lot of horror stories.

You're hereby conferred the Forumgarden Outstanding Bravery Award for being the only member ever to rush to the epicentre of a magnitude 7+ earthquake. Boil the water and step carefully!
ZAP

Post by ZAP »

spot;1302075 wrote: You're hereby conferred the Forumgarden Outstanding Bravery Award for being the only member ever to rush to the epicentre of a magnitude 7+ earthquake. Boil the water and step carefully!

:-6

I talked to some of the clerks in the Brawley Walmart (30 miles north of Mexicali.) They told me the wine/liquor section was badly damaged, broken bottles all over, and in other departments the shampoo, mouthwash, spaghetti sauce jars, just about anything with glass involved. They closed the store and some of the clerks worked all night to clean up the mess. They have a video of what it looked like. The checkout girl said her mother lives in Mexicali in an old house and had no damage, nothing broken, just a LOT of shaking which scared the daylights out of her. Another clerk lives in El Centro, 14 miles from Calexico and her toilet was knocked off its bolts and water was shooting into the air. Her tv set won't work now. One of mine won't work either even though it doesn't appear to be broken. The big screen is fine,however, even though it had inched itself all the way to the edge of the table on which it sat.
minks

Post by minks »

Carla and Zap I just got back here now, glad you and your families are both safe. WOW !!! scarey stuff
�You only live once, but if you do it right, once is enough.�

― Mae West
K.Snyder

Post by K.Snyder »

Well hopefully with this earthquake that means some of the tension has been released and perhaps this is as best of an inevitable outcome we could have hoped for

:yh_wink
busterbloodvessel

Post by busterbloodvessel »

busterbloodvessel;1301916 wrote: we had one in england last year just an aftershock i think it lasted only a couple of seconds

and shook the bed & wardrobe and woke me up as we dont normally get them it really frightened me.

take care carla

to quote myself ours happened in the middle of the night i was awakened about 3.20 in the morning its pretty hair raising when your woken by something shaking the bed violently and the wardrobe moving from side to side banging

and car alarms going off outside .

the one we had probably didnt register but it was the first one i ever experienced and wouldnt like to experience it again i dont know how you choose to live in such a place you have a lot of bottle living where the earth shifts under your feet.

as for us well in interminable british style i put the kettle on and made a cup of tea.

the british answer to every crisis.
K.Snyder

Post by K.Snyder »

busterbloodvessel;1302277 wrote: to quote myself ours happened in the middle of the night i was awakened about 3.20 in the morning its pretty hair raising when your woken by something shaking the bed violently and the wardrobe moving from side to side banging

and car alarms going off outside .

the one we had probably didnt register but it was the first one i ever experienced and wouldnt like to experience it again i dont know how you choose to live in such a place you have a lot of bottle living where the earth shifts under your feet.

as for us well in interminable british style i put the kettle on and made a cup of tea.

the british answer to every crisis.

Well, for an earthquake to wake people up from sleeping it would have to be a very moderate to fierce earthquake lest you're a light sleeper to the extreme...

What scale was it and does England get quite alot of earthquakes on average?
ZAP

Post by ZAP »

We're still rockin' & rollin' here in Earthquake Country. We've had 36 aftershocks (2.5 or larger) in the last 6 hours, 10-30 miles away, not of long duration. The most significant was a 5.3, a pretty good jolt that left all my housplants trembling and the dining room chandelier swaying for a couple of minutes. I'm going to the hospital today to take some poppyseed cake & banana bread for the staff in the dialysis unit. They can share with others if they don't scarf it down, as they usually do. Little piglets!
CARLA

Post by CARLA »

Another actual Earthquake today I thought it was a 5.5 the epicenter almost in the exact same area as Sunday's... :-6:-6 This is Earthquake country for sure felt this one as well.
ALOHA!!

MOTTO TO LIVE BY:

ZAP

Post by ZAP »

CARLA;1302521 wrote: Another actual Earthquake today 5.5 the epicenter almost in the exact same area as Sunday's... :-6:-6 This is Earthquake country for sure felt this one as well.

I think that's the one that shook us up a lot. Maybe it was upgraded from a 5.3. It was the same area, pretty shallow but didn't last too long.
Kathy Ellen

Post by Kathy Ellen »

Oh Carla and Zapada:-4

I'm so sorry that this has happened to you. I hope that all will be ok.

Here in Noo Joisey, we only have to worry about "Cancer causing toxic waste products dumped illegally....in the middle of the night when no one is around......and then all of the area goes on fire throwing toxins into the atmosphere....and then 20 years later, residents have cancer and wonder where it came from.....hmmmmmmm:-2
ZAP

Post by ZAP »

Kathy Ellen;1302529 wrote: Oh Carla and Zapada:-4

I'm so sorry that this has happened to you. I hope that all will be ok.

Here in Noo Joisey, we only have to worry about "Cancer causing toxic waste products dumped illegally....in the middle of the night when no one is around......and then all of the area goes on fire throwing toxins into the atmosphere....and then 20 years later, residents have cancer and wonder where it came from.....hmmmmmmm:-2

Thanks for your concern, KE. I told my daughter I'm about to get sick of all these tremors. :( Toxic waste---ugh!! Yes, Kathy Ellen, we have toxic waste also. Mexicali dumps known carcinogens into New River, which crosses the border and flows past the desert cities, on its way to Salton Sea. I was with an environmentalist group in the late 80's-early nineties and at that time the count was over 60 known carcinogens from the maquiladoras. New River was the "dirtiest river in North America." We had an extremely high incidence of certain cancers. I believe my daughter's thyroid cancer was one of them.
Kathy Ellen

Post by Kathy Ellen »

Zapata;1302531 wrote: Thanks for your concern, KE. I told my daughter I'm about to get sick of all these tremors. :( Toxic waste---ugh!! Yes, Kathy Ellen, we have toxic waste also. Mexicali dumps known carcinogens into New River, which crosses the border and flows past the desert cities, on its way to Salton Sea. I was with an environmentalist group in the late 80's-early nineties and at that time the count was over 60 known carcinogens from the maquiladoras. New River was the "dirtiest river in North America." We had an extremely high incidence of certain cancers. I believe my daughter's thyroid cancer was one of them.

Hi Zap:-4

It's great to see you. I'll have to respond to your post this weekend...I'm falling asleep right now:wah:

Cheers
ZAP

Post by ZAP »

Quake Damage in Imperial Valley, California - CNN iReport

I went into a part of town today that had huge cranes taking the steeple off the Mormon church, It was damaged in the quake. Nearby is a water tower that's going to have to come down. An apartment building near that has been evacuated. A few roads have been closed because of the severe, deep cracks. I talked to several people in the stores & the hospital and heard their stories. I was happy to learn that the governor decided to come to see the area, (after much criticism, I'm sure) One newspaper article said that it may or may not be true that some pressure was released from that fault. But we have 100 faults in this area!
G#Gill

Post by G#Gill »

Somebody in the quake region said that it is because there has not been any significant death toll that the world has not seen or heard much about this devastating earthquake. I can vouch for the lack of world wide news reporting, as I have seen very little on TV about it. When you consider that the earthquake was as serious as the one in Haiti, I find it disgusting that the peoples' cries and appeals for help seem to have gone unheeded. There are thousands made homeless, so where is the reporting, where is the information??? The only information I can gather is here on Forum Garden !!! I have just looked at some pics from CNN via Zapata's link, and it is awful. A lot of the pics are unvetted by CNN, but they show some dreadful damage to buildings and roads and bridges. It seems that Governor Arnie has only just gone to check out the devastation! This quake happened on Sunday - it is now Saturday !!!!! :-5 :mad:
I'm a Saga-lout, growing old disgracefully
ZAP

Post by ZAP »

G#Gill;1302885 wrote: Somebody in the quake region said that it is because there has not been any significant death toll that the world has not seen or heard much about this devastating earthquake. I can vouch for the lack of world wide news reporting, as I have seen very little on TV about it. When you consider that the earthquake was as serious as the one in Haiti, I find it disgusting that the peoples' cries and appeals for help seem to have gone unheeded. There are thousands made homeless, so where is the reporting, where is the information??? The only information I can gather is here on Forum Garden !!! I have just looked at some pics from CNN via Zapata's link, and it is awful. A lot of the pics are unvetted by CNN, but they show some dreadful damage to buildings and roads and bridges. It seems that Governor Arnie has only just gone to check out the devastation! This quake happened on Sunday - it is now Saturday !!!!! :-5 :mad:

Thank you G, for your insightful post. It is truly a miracle that there weren't more deaths, given the magnitude of this quake. And more property damage. Our building codes are stringent now and this accounts for a lot of the low toll. Since the 1979 quake of 6.5 (or 6.7) I've heard that the codes will make the buildings safe to an 8. Most homes are single story. A lot of schools are closed. The dialysis lab in Calexico where my daughter used to work is closed, diverting the patients to El Centro & Brawley.

But I'm amazed when I hear some of these stories. A clerk in the Dollar store told me she had little damage but her friend's piano tipped over. My bagel girl in Von's had just finished her shift and was sitting in her car in the lot, talking on her cell phone. She said her car started moving up and down, sideways, first one way and then the other and she thought it was never going to stop. Each one tells his/her story with a look of wonder, accompanied by nervous laughter.

I heard that Arnold's reluctance to come here was political, in that we are such a poor community and not of much use financially. I imagine there was such an uproar that he had to come.
spot

Post by spot »

Zapata;1302921 wrote: It is truly a miracle that there weren't more deaths, given the magnitude of this quake.

It's certainly that, I'm amazed at how it's turned out. I'll watch with interest how the clear-up progresses but the low death toll seems unprecedented. Lucky Mexico!

Return to “Weather Station”