Miniture Sun Project

albertpollard

Miniture Sun Project

Post by albertpollard »

How to build a star

Here is the boiled-down recipe for how the Livermore lab plans to cook up a star:

Step one: Build the largest laser in the world, preferably inside a drab-looking office building. (To do this, you'll have to suspend all previous notions about what a laser looks like. This one is basically a giant factory full of tubes. The laser beam, which is concentrated light, bounces back and forth over the distance of a mile, charging up as it goes.)

Step two: Split this humongous laser into 192 beams. Aim all of them -- firing-range style -- at a single point that's about the size of a BB.

Step three: On that tiny target, apply a smidge of deuterium and tritium, two reactive isotopes of hydrogen that can be extracted from seawater. Surround those atoms with a gold capsule that's smaller than a thimble.

Step four: Fire the laser!

If all goes well, the resulting reaction will be hotter than the center of the sun (more than 100 million degrees Celsius) and will exert more pressure than 100 billion atmospheres. This will smash the hydrogen isotopes together with so much force and heat that their nuclei will fuse, sending off energy and neutrons.

Voila. An itty-bitty star is born.

"There's no danger to the public," said Lynda Seaver, spokeswoman for the project.

"The [worst possible] mishap is, it doesn't work."

And, in those recent years, the project has fallen a year off schedule, the GAO says, with the expected completion date for the research now at the end of 2012.

Could it be December 21st 2012? Just asking...The complete article can be found here: http://www.cnn.com/2010/TECH/science/04 ... tml?hpt=C2
NEWS FLASH! The Universe is God's Petri Dish.
Saint_

Miniture Sun Project

Post by Saint_ »

Fascinating stuff! I thought it funny, though, that the reaction will be so short lived. What will have to be done to get a reaction that will go on for a few billion years?
albertpollard

Miniture Sun Project

Post by albertpollard »

Saint_;1306424 wrote: Fascinating stuff! I thought it funny, though, that the reaction will be so short lived. What will have to be done to get a reaction that will go on for a few billion years?

2 billion years / (2 billion / 200 trillionths of a second * 2 years) = lots and lots of money and time....
NEWS FLASH! The Universe is God's Petri Dish.
Bryn Mawr

Miniture Sun Project

Post by Bryn Mawr »

Saint_;1306424 wrote: Fascinating stuff! I thought it funny, though, that the reaction will be so short lived. What will have to be done to get a reaction that will go on for a few billion years?

First gather together lots and lots of hydrogen
spot

Miniture Sun Project

Post by spot »

I thought it was the Koreans who were furthest along with this.
Nullius in verba ... ☎||||||||||| ... To Fate I sue, of other means bereft, the only refuge for the wretched left.
When flower power came along I stood for Human Rights, marched around for peace and freedom, had some nooky every night - we took it serious.
Who has a spare two minutes to play in this month's FG Trivia game! ... My other OS is Slackware.

Return to “Societal Issues News”