Repelling Snakes

A place to discuss all of your outdoor activities. Hunting, fishing, hiking, camping, and whatever else you do out in the great wilds.
Peg

Repelling Snakes

Post by Peg »

My niece is having trouble with snakes being in the yard and on the porch. Does anyone know of anything that actually works and repels them? She doesn't have a lot of junk in her yard or anything we can think of to attract them. Help!
CARLA

Repelling Snakes

Post by CARLA »

Is it hot where she live? they might be looking for water, food, or a place to find shade. What kind of snakes are they? You can get a outdoor cat to take care of the rodents the snakes might be coming for. Also put mothballs or sulfur powder in the areas they are coming to they won't come back. Be careful with kids around mothalls and sulfur powder.

Things to Look Out For

First of all, as a fellow mother who also worries about her small kids, garter snakes are not poisonous in the unlikely event that your kids get close enough to one to get bitten. They're very shy and not usually very aggressive. The absolute worst outcome is just a readily treatable infection. You will, of course, take them for medical treatment right away if they do get bitten, but they're actually probably in more danger from the Black widow spiders that are also probably hiding back there than the snakes. The only venomous snakes I've personally encountered here in California were rattlesnakes and they usually give you lots of warning. If you've got one of those in your yard, call animal control immediately since rattlers and kids don't mix!

The best way to get rid of the snakes is to make sure your back yard is not Snake Heaven. Keep the clutter down. No piles of wood or leaves, nothing they can nest in or hide under. Keep the grass mowed so they don't get comfortable hanging out in it. Also, take care of any rodent or insect problems quickly. If the snakes are migrating to your yard, they've probably got a good reason. A buffet line starring roaches and mice is one of the best.

Take a stroll around your house and inspect the foundation and the ventilation holes in the garage. If you see any holes bigger than about a quarter then you've hung up an "apartment for rent" sign for the snakes. And for heaven's sake, don't leave doors standing open! Make sure you've got a good screen door at the very least, or you may find a garter snake struggling frantically on your shiny kitchen floor. Yikes!

Tamarian

Remove What They Like

I won't lecture you about how beneficial snakes are but… I have a backyard wildlife habitat, and have actually tried to attract snakes to live in my yard. You just have to know what they want to attract them to your yard or to keep them out of your yard. You'll want to get rid of any of these:

•Low-growing hiding spots near your house (shrubs, plants, etc.)

•Thickly-planted gardens

•Mulch (especially straw mulch) in the gardens

•Tall grass (you mentioned your grassy hill--prime snake habitat)

•Bird feeders (which attract mice & insects, which attract snakes)

•Ground-level water sources (birdbaths, ponds, puddles, etc.)

•Compost piles

•Wood and brush piles (any wood on the ground where they can hide)

Ground-level access to buildings -- under the porch, garage, crawlspace

You'll also want to determine what kind of snakes they are so that you can try to eliminate their food sources around your yard. If they eat mice, then you'll want to try to eliminate the mouse population by making your yard unattractive to mice. If they eat insects like grasshoppers then you'll want to make your yard unattractive to them.

I encourage you to go to your local library and check out some books to learn more about the snakes and what they like so that you can eliminate whatever it is that attracts them to your yard. Although eliminating what snakes like may not be practical or even aesthetically pleasing.

ALOHA!!

MOTTO TO LIVE BY:

"Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, chocolate in one hand, champagne in the other, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming.

WOO HOO!!, what a ride!!!"

Peg

Repelling Snakes

Post by Peg »

She's going to WalMart to buy some stuff that is supposed to repel snakes, getting mothballs to put around, and garlic too. She also has me looking for 2 barn cats for her. She is so freaked out as I would be.
CARLA

Repelling Snakes

Post by CARLA »

In the hot summer months we get king snakes and some rattle snakes coming out of the canyons looking for water and a cool place to hide. Rattle snakes warn you when you are to close the others don't. I have been sitting in a patio chair and get up and come back and I see this king snake all curled up sleeping under my chair....!! how long was it there YIKES..!!
ALOHA!!

MOTTO TO LIVE BY:

"Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, chocolate in one hand, champagne in the other, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming.

Peg

Repelling Snakes

Post by Peg »

My husband walked right past a 6 ft. black snake and didn't realize it was there until he turned around to come back up the steps to get his keys.
CARLA

Repelling Snakes

Post by CARLA »

It is alarming when that happens as snake are quite and blend in well.
ALOHA!!

MOTTO TO LIVE BY:

Odie

Repelling Snakes

Post by Odie »

Peg;1320800 wrote: She's going to WalMart to buy some stuff that is supposed to repel snakes, getting mothballs to put around, and garlic too. She also has me looking for 2 barn cats for her. She is so freaked out as I would be.

The barn cats would be harmed by the snakes.

I suggest an exterminator Peg.
Life is just to short for drama.
Peg

Repelling Snakes

Post by Peg »

I told her to call an exterminator and see what they suggest and also the local zoo.
CARLA

Repelling Snakes

Post by CARLA »

Cats are smart enough to not go near snakes. The barn cats would be for keeping the rodent population down.
ALOHA!!

MOTTO TO LIVE BY:

Odie

Repelling Snakes

Post by Odie »

CARLA;1320812 wrote: Cats are smart enough to not go near snakes. The barn cats would be for keeping the rodent population down.

some cats think they are a toy like birds are.

Plus squirrels, and insects like grasshoppers, crickets or other small bugs are food for snakes. So, it is essential to make sure your home and garden is free of rodents and insects.

There are snake repellents for sale, but you must make sure they are safe for children and pets etc.
Life is just to short for drama.
hoppy

Repelling Snakes

Post by hoppy »

If they were only garter snakes, I would leave them alone. Garter snakes thrive on insects.
flopstock

Repelling Snakes

Post by flopstock »

CARLA;1320801 wrote: In the hot summer months we get king snakes and some rattle snakes coming out of the canyons looking for water and a cool place to hide. Rattle snakes warn you when you are to close the others don't. I have been sitting in a patio chair and get up and come back and I see this king snake all curled up sleeping under my chair....!! how long was it there YIKES..!!

Reminds me of the time my sister came over to tan in my back yard while the kids played. Her and the two boys are all laying down resting on this big old blanket when I came outside on the deck and looked out at them... looked like they were riding a wave - there was that much movement under the blanket. I told her as calmly as I could to bring me the boys for a second and then had her step up next to me. I just pointed. Swear to god they had to have heard her scream two cities over:yh_rotfl:yh_rotfl

Sorry... it's a sister thing..:wah:
I expressly forbid the use of any of my posts anywhere outside of FG (with the exception of the incredibly witty 'get a room already' )posted recently.

Folks who'd like to copy my intellectual work should expect to pay me for it.:-6

Return to “The Outdoors”