Australian bushfires - are we better prepared these days

General discussion area for all topics not covered in the other forums.
tektrek

Post by tektrek »

In light of the recently Victorian Royal Commission final report into the Black Saturday wildfires of February 7th, 2009 are Australians in general better prepared as we enter another possibly bad fire season?

I don't think people really are and as usual have become complacent feeling that ''lightning can't strike twice in the same place'' type of scenario.

What do you think?
Rapunzel

Post by Rapunzel »

tektrek;1330726 wrote: In light of the recently Victorian Royal Commission final report into the Black Saturday wildfires of February 7th, 2009 are Australians in general better prepared as we enter another possibly bad fire season?

I don't think people really are and as usual have become complacent feeling that ''lightning can't strike twice in the same place'' type of scenario.

What do you think?

Roy Cleveland Sullivan (February 7, 1912 – September 28, 1983) was a U.S. park ranger in Shenandoah National Park in Virginia. Between 1942 and 1977, Sullivan was hit by lightning on seven different occasions and survived all of them.

Roy Sullivan - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Proof that lightning CAN strike twice (or more) in the same place!

How many bush fires has Australia had?

How many bush fires has Hollywood had?

If you have a large area of arid woodland it seems totally obvious that that area will be more susceptible to bush fires. Especially when there are some idiots around who think it might be fun to start a fire or who drop lit cigarette ends. Doh.

Arid woodland + idiots = bush fires. It's not rocket science.

Are you better prepared? I'm guessing no.

When San Francisco suffered its great earthquake in 1906, the city was almost destroyed by the resultant fires. So when the city was rebuilt they made one street, Market Street, over one block wide. This long, wide street serves as a firebreak should such a disaster ever occur again.

Have Australian house builders stopped building near densely wooded areas? Have fire breaks been built around such areas which are prone to bush fires? Have man made lakes been built in the area for fire planes to scoop up water to dump on nearby fires?

Have you substantially increased the numbers of firemen and fire engines in areas susceptible to bush fires?

I'm guessing No.

In which case, No, you are not better prepared for when a bush fire catastrophe reoccurs, you are simply burying your heads in the sand.

Return to “General Chit Chat”