Looking for advice on killing yellow jackets . . .

A place to discuss all of your outdoor activities. Hunting, fishing, hiking, camping, and whatever else you do out in the great wilds.
cars

Post by cars »

Well for the past 4 weeks I have been battling "yellow jackets" that made a nest "behind" the wood trim molding around my front door entry way. I sprayed the area over & over again for the last 3 weeks, using up "3" cans of wasp/yellow jacket spray, to no avail! A week ago, I even bought a yellow jacket "trap lure", that is supposed to lure them in & kill them, & hung it 12" away from the nest area, again to no avail.

I read somewhere that yellow jackets die off in the cold weather.

Does anyone know if in fact yellow jackets really die off in the cold weather?
Cars :)
Oscar Namechange

Post by Oscar Namechange »

You can say that again.
At the going down of the sun and in the morning, we will remember them. R.L. Binyon
flopstock

Post by flopstock »

How to Get Rid of Yellow Jackets

How to Kill Yellow Jackets & Nests

A yellow jacket colony is killed and the nest removed much like any other wasp nest, only most yellow jacket nests are found underground. So, here are some things to consider before you go running out with a can of wasp and hornet killer in a pair of cut off bluejeans and a checkered t-shirt:

Covering yourself with thick sweats will help make it harder for yellow jackets to sting you.

It's best to treat a yellow jacket nest in the early summer before they build a larger colony.

It is also advisable to wait for a particularly chilly night to poison a yellow jacket nest because yellow jackets have a hard time flying in temperatures below 50 degrees fahrenheit.

It is best to treat a yellow jacket nest in the late evening with either a dust insecticide like Sevin or Dursban, but usually an aerosol will do so long as the poison reaches the nest. Hell, try two cans.

Once it is certain that all of the yellow jackets are dead, you should fill the hole with stones first, and then pack it with dirt to make sure no one trips in the loose soil.

Any yellow jacket nests discovered in later summer or early fall should just be left alone. The coming cold will take care of a yellow jacket nest for you.
I expressly forbid the use of any of my posts anywhere outside of FG (with the exception of the incredibly witty 'get a room already' )posted recently.

Folks who'd like to copy my intellectual work should expect to pay me for it.:-6

G#Gill

Post by G#Gill »

oscar;1331798 wrote: You can say that again.

Cars did - three times !!! Cars, have you got an itchy finger ? You can only produce the same thread once on the board, so all your other threads (similar to this one) have been deleted, consequently. Stand in the corner for the rest of the lesson, or sit on the naughty seat for 20 minutes, in total silence! :lips: :( :)
I'm a Saga-lout, growing old disgracefully
Oscar Namechange

Leather Jackets are my problem here In Blighty Cars... They turn Into Minature Spitfire's reminiscent of the Blitz during war time.

The field outside my house spawns thousands of the buggers as the Crane Fly lays her eggs In the grass. Many are gobbled up by passing Hedge-hogs but the remainder form Squadrons that plan entry Into my home with military precision. Once Inside my home, they seem to lose their areo- skills and only manage to dance just above the Skirting boards.

I then spend maybe an hour carefully scooping them up to throw them back out-side the door only to have another Squadron zoom In as soon as the door Is cracked open.
At the going down of the sun and in the morning, we will remember them. R.L. Binyon
CARLA

Post by CARLA »

Might be time for a professional to come remove the nest.
ALOHA!!

MOTTO TO LIVE BY:

"Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, chocolate in one hand, champagne in the other, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming.

WOO HOO!!, what a ride!!!"

chonsigirl

Post by chonsigirl »

Oh, the wasps kept coming back to my mailbox, they hate to leave favorite locations. But be careful if you are going after the nest!
cars

Post by cars »

G#Gill;1331805 wrote: Cars did - three times !!! Cars, have you got an itchy finger ? You can only produce the same thread once on the board, so all your other threads (similar to this one) have been deleted, consequently. Stand in the corner for the rest of the lesson, or sit on the naughty seat for 20 minutes, in total silence! :lips: :( :)
Actually, I am surprised that this thread is actually is here, as I tried to post it a few times, & each time some jiberish error message came up, and the screen went white. So I gave up. Now it's here, it must be a miracal! :)
cars

Post by cars »

The nest is "behind the wood trim" and can not be seen just looking at it. What I do see are dozens of yellow jackets continusously squeezing in between a tiny space between the trim & the actual doorway. I used 3 cans of wasp/yellow jacket spray (the ones that shoot a 20ft stream) and it did not deter them one bit. 10 minutes after the spraying, they were back.

The yellow jacket lure trap, didn't even phase them at all!!! What a waste of $15!

Well if they do die off in the cold weather, I can then take off the molding & clean out the dead nest. We'll see!
cars

Post by cars »

CARLA;1331812 wrote: Might be time for a professional to come remove the nest.

Yes CARLA, that would have been my next step if it was the beginning of the summer. But as was mentioned they die off in the cold weather, which is not too far away. It was a whopping "48"f degrees here this morning already, so . . . .
chonsigirl

Post by chonsigirl »

And they cannot follow you all the way to Florida. :)
Mustang

Post by Mustang »

cars;1331864 wrote: The nest is "behind the wood trim" and can not be seen just looking at it. What I do see are dozens of yellow jackets continusously squeezing in between a tiny space between the trim & the actual doorway. I used 3 cans of wasp/yellow jacket spray (the ones that shoot a 20ft stream) and it did not deter them one bit. 10 minutes after the spraying, they were back.

The yellow jacket lure trap, didn't even phase them at all!!! What a waste of $15!

Well if they do die off in the cold weather, I can then take off the molding & clean out the dead nest. We'll see!

Is the space big enough to use a knife to push some cotton or a piece of rag in it then saturate that with spray, after dark? Best time to go after them is when it's dark. They aren't active then.
K.Snyder

Post by K.Snyder »

While I sincerely doubt these yellow jackets have done anything to deserve "I sprayed the area over & over again for the last 3 weeks, using up "3" cans of wasp/yellow jacket spray" I would suggest walking up to the nest site in as indirect manner as possible with your favorite tennis racket in hand(A badminton racket would suffice but without quite the level of efficiency as far as numbers are concerned-which could ultimately turn the entire event from magnanimously casual to a very moderately unstable situation equally as quickly) with an extreme yet unscrupulous yet discrete mannerism to swat the living hell out of them to your eventually elated temperament

Things you'll need:

Tennis racket or badminton racket(This is obvious)

Good running shoes

A how to stretch before swatting bees(This video would serve just as neatly)

A friend nearby to witness(In case something goes horribly wrong, which I'm not sure what may become of the entire ordeal but alas this friend may also double as comfort in the event "you" may break a bone)

Dubious amounts of Benadryl or Diphenhydramine respectively
fuzzywuzzy

Post by fuzzywuzzy »

this thread made me laugh. I'm sitting here thinking "same way you kill all fish"..sorry I'm with ya now.

smoke em' They hate that and they won't return.

Or put wasp powder all over the place, they don't like that either and the queen will be the first to leave .

Petrol works as well. If they don't die from the fumes..............then you light it. have a hose handy though.
cars

Post by cars »

A friend sent me a link for pest control. It stated just what I wanted to hear!

Here it is:

They are considered beneficial insects, eating other insects. The yellow jacket colony will remain active for only one summer, after which the queens will fly away to start more colonies. The remaining ones, die at the end of the summer, the nest is not reused

So summer is just about over, hopefully it won't be long now, when they die off! Then I'll remove the trim, & thoruoghly clean the area & plug as required, anyway!
flopstock

Post by flopstock »

cars;1331939 wrote: A friend sent me a link for pest control. It stated just what I wanted to hear!

Here it is:

They are considered beneficial insects, eating other insects. The yellow jacket colony will remain active for only one summer, after which the queens will fly away to start more colonies. The remaining ones, die at the end of the summer, the nest is not reused

So summer is just about over, hopefully it won't be long now, when they die off! Then I'll remove the trim, & thoruoghly clean the area & plug as required, anyway!

I agree... and then stop over, I have a honey do list for you also....
I expressly forbid the use of any of my posts anywhere outside of FG (with the exception of the incredibly witty 'get a room already' )posted recently.

Folks who'd like to copy my intellectual work should expect to pay me for it.:-6

Richard Bell

Post by Richard Bell »

I had a nest in my aluminum clad soffits several years ago, and I greatly reduced their numbers with my Shop Vac.

I put enough water in the Shop Vac to a depth of about 10 cm., squirted a bit of dish soap in it, then attached the hose near the opening in the soffit so that they would be picked up by the Shop Vac as they entered and exited. (Position the hose in the evening, when they are safely dormant in the nest).

It helped a lot, until the cool weather came along and solved the problem completely.
cars

Post by cars »

flopstock;1331943 wrote: I agree... and then stop over, I have a honey do list for you also....

OK, will do, my rates are reasonable! :wah:;):D
Oscar Namechange

You know when you post on a thread, there-after, any further posts come up on your E Mail?

Well, The title of my E Mails Is... 'Looking for advice on Killing'... and does not show the title of this thread In full...

Mr O has been rather worried.
Clown Antics

Post by Clown Antics »

cars;1331865 wrote: Yes CARLA, that would have been my next step if it was the beginning of the summer. But as was mentioned they die off in the cold weather, which is not too far away. It was a whopping "48"f degrees here this morning already, so . . . .

After you remove the moulding and clean out the nest caulk up the crevice if they do return they have no way in.
Nomad

Post by Nomad »

Looking for advice on killing

Sniper, incendiary device, garrot (my personal favorite)

Name your game.
I AM AWESOME MAN

Return to “The Outdoors”