An Armed Society is a Polite Society

General discussion area for all topics not covered in the other forums.
koan

Post by koan »

ah, sigh, alas and alack. yet another uplifted quote dropped into a steaming pile of "I don't know why you find this offensive."
CinnamonBear

Post by CinnamonBear »

K.Snyder;1340849 wrote: It's hard to distinguish the fine line between evolution and downright genocide material.

The phrase speaks about a very true point but to suggest it's an intelligent one is definitively stupid. "We've come quite a long way from sticks",..

while those more intelligent would call it a decent into hell

The Second Amendment is very real and many have died for our freedom. (Arlington National Cemetary seems as big as the ocean and certainly bigger since my last visit.)

For those outside the USA, the Second Amendment grants us the right to bear arms, with restrictions on felons, etc. The First Amendment grants us the right to free speech. :)
CinnamonBear

Post by CinnamonBear »

Bryn Mawr;1340860 wrote: No, and never will be :-(

Correct, my reply was in #36, #41 and the first 2 sentences of #44.

I simply don't indulge the angry and/or the imaginings. Maybe that's what spot was referring to when saying I was being stubbornly disobedient. :D
spot

Post by spot »

CinnamonBear;1341158 wrote: Maybe that's what spot was referring to when saying I was being stubbornly disobedient. :D That's the third time you've made that claim and they're not my words at all, they're entirely your own. Repetition doesn't make things true, they're mere ritual.
Nullius in verba ... ☎||||||||||| ... To Fate I sue, of other means bereft, the only refuge for the wretched left.
When flower power came along I stood for Human Rights, marched around for peace and freedom, had some nooky every night - we took it serious.
Who has a spare two minutes to play in this month's FG Trivia game! ... My other OS is Slackware.
CinnamonBear

Post by CinnamonBear »

spot;1341159 wrote: That's the third time you've made that claim and they're not my words at all, they're entirely your own. Repetition doesn't make things true, they're mere ritual.

Your reply on Monday, contumacious, in my "Another Question" thread. You also used the word "force" and I haven't found a use of force in any of my posts either, let alone stubborn disobedience. But I did enjoy your humor. It was the funniest post since this morning when I came across **Gles replying to something he didn't say either. But, my gosh, he added hilarity in his reply. Laughter is good for the soul, spot. I'm always happy to see it. Don't think I'm ungrateful. ;)

Edit: ** Glaswegian, hope I got the spelling right. ;)
yaaarrrgg

Post by yaaarrrgg »

CinnamonBear;1340652 wrote: America was founded on Christianity. If you don't believe that, here's a clip I'd like to share with you. A history lesson, tour of the US Capitol:

YouTube - U.S. Capitol Tour with David Barton

To take that a step further, the First Amendment gives us the right to free speech. The Second Amendment gives us the right to bear arms. I'm simply one who chooses to invoke my rights and enjoy them at the same time. :-6

The first amendment actually establishes a neutral state with regards to religion. But I don't see how the consitution resolves the contradition between your "faith" and your actions. Obviously you don't believe God can can or will protect you, else you wouldn't feel the need to own a gizmo that does that job.
Bryn Mawr
Site Admin

Post by Bryn Mawr »

CinnamonBear;1341158 wrote: Correct, my reply was in #36, #41 and the first 2 sentences of #44.

I simply don't indulge the angry and/or the imaginings. Maybe that's what spot was referring to when saying I was being stubbornly disobedient. :D

Certainly correct, the "replies" you mention were posts explicitly designed to avoid giving an answer.
CinnamonBear

Post by CinnamonBear »

yaaarrrgg;1341167 wrote: The first amendment actually establishes a neutral state with regards to religion. But I don't see how the consitution resolves the contradition between your "faith" and your actions. Obviously you don't believe God can can or will protect you, else you wouldn't feel the need to own a gizmo that does that job.

True, the First Amendment contains many rights, but it's most specifically known for freedom of speech.

As for the Second Amendment, I don't see a disconnect between protecting myself (and my loved ones) and not trusting God. I certainly believe He wants us to take care of ourselves, in abundance and in many ways.

In the same way we set the house alarm and lock our doors each night, we know God is still in charge. Since crime strikes even the best of neighborhoods, the Second Amendment comes in place. Not only are we given this right to bear arms by the country we live in, a country founded on God, we also appreciate it.

I can't imagine that everyone who locks their door at night (armed or unarmed) doesn't believe in God and His protection too. I think He appreciates those of us who care for ourselves, take precautions, and leave to Him the rest. I'm grateful to have the choices He gave us to protect ourselves. I suppose you could say we have two-fold protection with One greater than the other. I don't find it complicated at all.

Again, one voice, one view. Thank you.
CinnamonBear

Post by CinnamonBear »

Bryn Mawr;1341194 wrote: Certainly correct, the "replies" you mention were posts explicitly designed to avoid giving an answer.

They were actually a courtesy on my part. There are no other words I can think of to explain not engaging in imaginings and unfounded anger. That was within them long before I arrived. ;)
yaaarrrgg

Post by yaaarrrgg »

CinnamonBear;1341236 wrote: In the same way we set the house alarm and lock our doors each night, we know God is still in charge. Since crime strikes even the best of neighborhoods, the Second Amendment comes in place.

In other words, you don't really think God can or will protect you against an open door.

Sorry, but I don't think you *really* believe that God is in charge. Your actions suggest you believe the person with the biggest weapon is in charge.
CinnamonBear

Post by CinnamonBear »

yaaarrrgg;1341269 wrote: In other words, you don't really think God can or will protect you against an open door.

Sorry, but I don't think you *really* believe that God is in charge. Your actions suggest you believe the person with the biggest weapon is in charge.

The two are not exclusive, not either/or. In your realm of thought (your post above), I wouldn't use my car brakes or catch myself when I fall. See how silly this can get?
yaaarrrgg

Post by yaaarrrgg »

CinnamonBear;1341314 wrote: The two are not exclusive, not either/or. In your realm of thought (your post above), I wouldn't use my car brakes or catch myself when I fall. See how silly this can get?

That's an interesting point. Though, the Bible doesn't really say not to do these things does it?

On the other hand Christiainity teaches that you shouldn't be killing people, that you should love your enemies, turn the other cheek, witness to criminals, practice forgiveness, not to judge others or you will be judged, etc. And that God will protect you if you follow these rules (e.g Daniel in the lion's den). How is blowing someone's brains out consistent with these teachings?

The only way using brakes or catching yourself would lead to the same dilema, is if doing so would result in the loss of someone else's life.

You seem fairly convinced that God is pretty much worthless when it comes to protecting you from other people.
spot

Post by spot »

CinnamonBear;1341236 wrote: In the same way we set the house alarm and lock our doors each night, we know God is still in charge.

I don't, just for the record. Own a house alarm or lock the doors when I'm at home or grant God such power.
Nullius in verba ... ☎||||||||||| ... To Fate I sue, of other means bereft, the only refuge for the wretched left.
When flower power came along I stood for Human Rights, marched around for peace and freedom, had some nooky every night - we took it serious.
Who has a spare two minutes to play in this month's FG Trivia game! ... My other OS is Slackware.
Bryn Mawr
Site Admin

Post by Bryn Mawr »

spot;1341326 wrote: I don't, just for the record. Own a house alarm or lock the doors when I'm at home or grant God such power.

Some do you know - it is said that the death rate in some Hasidic suburbs is horrendous as they step out into the traffic relying on God to protect them.
CinnamonBear

Post by CinnamonBear »

yaaarrrgg;1341324 wrote: That's an interesting point. Though, the Bible doesn't really say not to do these things does it?

On the other hand Christiainity teaches that you shouldn't be killing people, that you should love your enemies, turn the other cheek, witness to criminals, practice forgiveness, not to judge others or you will be judged, etc. And that God will protect you if you follow these rules (e.g Daniel in the lion's den). How is blowing someone's brains out consistent with these teachings?

The only way using brakes or catching yourself would lead to the same dilema, is if doing so would result in the loss of someone else's life.

You seem fairly convinced that God is pretty much worthless when it comes to protecting you from other people.

Your last sentence just eliminated you from my time conversing.
CinnamonBear

Post by CinnamonBear »

spot;1341326 wrote: I don't, just for the record. Own a house alarm or lock the doors when I'm at home or grant God such power.

I get that spot. From the most disgusting post I've ever read about God (that you wrote on this board), I'm bewildered why you sport His highest angel as your avatar. It's baffling. And, no, I don't want to hear why - I'm simply so inclined to note it.
Scrat

Post by Scrat »

Where I come from people were very polite. When people had an issue with one another it was settled with fists. Guns used in a quarrel are for weaklings cowards and idiots.
hoppy

Post by hoppy »

I'll drink to that.
koan

Post by koan »

CinnamonBear;1341163 wrote: Your reply on Monday, contumacious, in my "Another Question" thread. You also used the word "force" and I haven't found a use of force in any of my posts either, let alone stubborn disobedience. But I did enjoy your humor. It was the funniest post since this morning when I came across **Gles replying to something he didn't say either. But, my gosh, he added hilarity in his reply. Laughter is good for the soul, spot. I'm always happy to see it. Don't think I'm ungrateful. ;)

Edit: ** Glaswegian, hope I got the spelling right. ;)

Interesting that you seem so fond of Glaswegian

CinnamonBear;1341334 wrote: I get that spot. From the most disgusting post I've ever read about God (that you wrote on this board), I'm bewildered why you sport His highest angel as your avatar. It's baffling. And, no, I don't want to hear why - I'm simply so inclined to note it.

Obviously you didn't bother to read your buddy's other threads.

http://www.forumgarden.com/forums/gener ... highlight=

I realise you and he shared a dislike of Muslims but you really should read more thoroughly before jumping to conclusions. I'm pretty sure, if you read the threads linked above, you'll find more disgusting things said about God and Jesus
yaaarrrgg

Post by yaaarrrgg »

CinnamonBear;1341333 wrote: Your last sentence just eliminated you from my time conversing.

I think we probably agree on this point more than you are willing to admit. I'm using words, whereas you are speaking quite loudly with your actions. :)
CinnamonBear

Post by CinnamonBear »

Scrat;1341377 wrote: Where I come from people were very polite. When people had an issue with one another it was settled with fists. Guns used in a quarrel are for weaklings cowards and idiots.

Guns used in a quarrel, I agree. Surely, the prisons are full of those hotheads.
CinnamonBear

Post by CinnamonBear »

hoppy;1341380 wrote: I'll drink to that.

Toast!

CinnamonBear

Post by CinnamonBear »

ahhh, koan, oops, you must have missed my very first post to Glas (almost a month ago) where I told him I don't agree with all his views, but I do agree w/him regarding Mohammad being a pedo. You see, I don't need to agree with 100% of a person's views in order to appreciate one or more of them. A foreign concept to some, I know. ;)

And now Glaswegien is a moot point since someone decided to ban him. Several others took an exit yesterday also. Some strange happenings ...
spot

Post by spot »

CinnamonBear;1341410 wrote: but I do agree w/him regarding Mohammad being a pedo.Goodness only knows what your views might be on Brigham Young, then.
koan

Post by koan »

CinnamonBear;1341410 wrote: ahhh, koan, oops, you must have missed my very first post to Glas (almost a month ago) where I told him I don't agree with all his views, but I do agree w/him regarding Mohammad being a pedo. You see, I don't need to agree with 100% of a person's views in order to appreciate one or more of them. A foreign concept to some, I know. ;)

And now Glaswegien is a moot point since someone decided to ban him. Several others took an exit yesterday also. Some strange happenings ...

:wah:

I'm just saying your choice of friends might be why you feel safer carrying a gun
CinnamonBear

Post by CinnamonBear »

koan;1341438 wrote:

I'm just saying ....

Other than the fact your post #69 still stands as does my reply #73.

Koan, I saw the effort and motivation in your post but you simply didn't do enough research on me to pull it off. I was merely pleased to tell you so.

Live and learn. :)
koan

Post by koan »

CinnamonBear;1341463 wrote: Other than the fact your post #69 still stands as does my reply #73.

Koan, I saw the effort and motivation in your post but you simply didn't do enough research on me to pull it off. I was merely pleased to tell you so.

Live and learn. :)
Quite right. My post #69 does still stand. :)

Good day.
CinnamonBear

Post by CinnamonBear »

koan;1341464 wrote: Quite right. My post #69 does still stand. :)

Good day.

As does my reply #73. :)
recovering conservative

Post by recovering conservative »

CinnamonBear;1341410 wrote: ahhh, koan, oops, you must have missed my very first post to Glas (almost a month ago) where I told him I don't agree with all his views, but I do agree w/him regarding Mohammad being a pedo. You see, I don't need to agree with 100% of a person's views in order to appreciate one or more of them. A foreign concept to some, I know. ;)

Finally some good news!

His thread is still up, so it's not like freedom of speech is being suppressed.

His debate style consisted of just throwing crap at the wall -- posting any and everything that he could find bashing Islam and Muslims. If he actually made an attempt to address counter-arguments, he might have been allowed to continue!

Return to “General Chit Chat”