big fat gypsy wedding ..ch 4 uk

This is our starting point. Discussions about any or all TV shows. The more popular shows will eventually have their own forum.
el guapo

Post by el guapo »

is this show a true to life representation of Gypsy's and traveler's
"To be foolish and to recognize that one is foolish, is better than to be foolish and imagine that one is wise."
littleCJelkton

Post by littleCJelkton »

gypsy punk wedding
Bryn Mawr

Post by Bryn Mawr »

I do not know enough to vote but I would imagine it shows whatever preconceptions the producers want it to show - film ten hours of live footage and the people being filmed believe they're getting fair coverage, edit to a half hour program and you can make any point you want.
Bruv

Post by Bruv »

el guapo;1353763 wrote: is this show a true to life representation of Gypsy's and traveler's

Unless we are Gypsies and Travelers, how can we honestly answer that question?

I haven't watched the previous two shows to be fair, but what I saw does not reflect the Gyspies (or the people that call themselves Gypsies) that I have had any dealings with
I thought I knew more than this until I opened my mouth
el guapo

Post by el guapo »

Bruv;1353771 wrote: Unless we are Gypsies and Travelers, how can we honestly answer that question?

I haven't watched the previous two shows to be fair, but what I saw does not reflect the Gyspies (or the people that call themselves Gypsies) that I have had any dealings with

just wondered what the non gypsy people thought
"To be foolish and to recognize that one is foolish, is better than to be foolish and imagine that one is wise."
Snooz

Post by Snooz »

If it's 'reality' TV, then no, it's not accurate.
Snowfire

Post by Snowfire »

el guapo;1353786 wrote: just wondered what the non gypsy people thought

It's hard to determine if it's accurate if your not a Gypsy. What are your thoughts ? You tell us if it was true to life.

I have to say that after seeing snippets I was a little disturbed at what the very young girls were wearing at the wedding reception. A little too "adult" for my liking. One of the older women said it was important for the young girls to "put themselves in the shop window" - to paraphrase - because if you're not married by (18 was it?) you're on the shelf. I'm not critisizing the desire to marry young, neccessarily, just the make up and tiny revealing dresses that the 9 or 10 year old were wearing. It made me feel a little uncomfortable
"He has all the virtues I dislike and none of the vices I admire."

Winston Churchill
Raven

Post by Raven »

The people depicted in the reality show are NOT the Rom. The people known as 'gypsies' here are predominantly Irish Roman Catholic, Travellers who are mostly 'of no fixed abode'. They do not pay taxes, collect livings by breeding ponies, selling under the table goods, and various other methods, mostly NEVER kosher. They invade like swarms with their caravans on plots of land illegally. Takes alot of tax payer money to get them out, and the result is destroyed land. Yeah...it's pretty true from what I understand it to be.:yh_rotfl They feel they have no obligation to follow ANY laws at all but their own.
~Quoth the Raven, Nevermore!~

Return to “General TV Shows”