vBulletin vB4 maximum password length

For technical issues relating to ForumGarden and its associated pages.
spot

Post by spot »

Be warned and don't fall into the hole I just climbed out of. The maximum password length allowed on this or any other vBulletin vB4 forum login is precisely 50 characters. Some bugger should be fired for that limit, in my opinion. It's in the Settings / New Password code as an Input Type Maxlength.
Nullius in verba ... ☎||||||||||| ... To Fate I sue, of other means bereft, the only refuge for the wretched left.
When flower power came along I stood for Human Rights, marched around for peace and freedom, had some nooky every night - we took it serious.
Who has a spare two minutes to play in this month's FG Trivia game! ... My other OS is Slackware.
spot

Post by spot »

You'd be quite right in thinking passwords over 50 characters would be very silly, I do know that. But I've finally decided I'm no longer going to remember passwords. Remembering them is too often formulaic and far too easily unraveled. I started by selecting a reasonable password length. Here's my thinking. As Tom Lehrer once said, this may prove useful to one of you some day perhaps in a somewhat bizarre set of circumstances.

Passwords aren't like breaking a cipher. Breaking a cipher involves maths since they're algorithmic. Passwords aren't algorithmic, they're properly random. Breaking them is consequently brute force or nothing.

A keyphrase consists...

No, I can't get this post onto FG at the moment, the anti-cracking software just refuses to let me discuss the subject. It's a vile module, that one.
Nullius in verba ... ☎||||||||||| ... To Fate I sue, of other means bereft, the only refuge for the wretched left.
When flower power came along I stood for Human Rights, marched around for peace and freedom, had some nooky every night - we took it serious.
Who has a spare two minutes to play in this month's FG Trivia game! ... My other OS is Slackware.

Return to “Problems, Solutions Feedback”