Do you ever check out dating sites?

General discussion area for all topics not covered in the other forums.
Snooz

Post by Snooz »

I'm not interested in dating but I occasionally look at what's on the market anyway... so today I went to match.com and saw this guy:

WOW! Is it just me or is he really good looking? His profile is well written and he actually sounds intelligent as well.

It's like being allergic to strawberries but thinking how good some strawberry shortcake would taste. :thinking:
Lon

Post by Lon »

SnoozeAgain;1356378 wrote: I'm not interested in dating but I occasionally look at what's on the market anyway... so today I went to match.com and saw this guy:

WOW! Is it just me or is he really good looking? His profile is well written and he actually sounds intelligent as well.

It's like being allergic to strawberries but thinking how good some strawberry shortcake would taste. :thinking:

And you think Matthew McConaughey is greasy? How about well groomed. You have interesting taste in men Snooze.
Snooz

Post by Snooz »

You sound like you're offended that I'd dare make a disparaging remark about Matthew McConaughey. Look at this guy, he looks like you could use him to grease a frying pan:

M.A.S

Post by M.A.S »

No, I haven't :p
I miss you Odie
Accountable

Post by Accountable »

Lon;1356379 wrote: And you think Matthew McConaughey is greasy? How about well groomed. You have interesting taste in men Snooze.
No double-chin but still has that little lump at the base of his neck. That's a sign of sleep apnea. He's a snorer! Other than that - and assuming he didn't fall down & take a picture of himself - he looks like a nice guy. Seriously, though, lots of depth in those eyes.
Odie

Post by Odie »

SnoozeAgain;1356378 wrote: I'm not interested in dating but I occasionally look at what's on the market anyway... so today I went to match.com and saw this guy:

may I have him?:yh_rotfl

Extremely good looking, but he knows that and would not settle for second best.
Life is just to short for drama.
along-for-the-ride

Post by along-for-the-ride »

"Different strokes for different folks"

Nah...........I don't visit dating sights.

It's like being allergic to strawberries but thinking how good some strawberry shortcake would taste.

;)

Attached files
Life is a Highway. Let's share the Commute.
flopstock

Post by flopstock »

Doesn't look like he has all his teeth. Go to his profile and find him smiling.
I expressly forbid the use of any of my posts anywhere outside of FG (with the exception of the incredibly witty 'get a room already' )posted recently.

Folks who'd like to copy my intellectual work should expect to pay me for it.:-6

Snooz

Post by Snooz »

Hahaha, you guys crack me up. I didn't noticed the throat bump or the possibility he's missing teeth.

Here's another profile photo (hope the hotlink works) and he looks a little heavier so I don't know if it's older or more recent:

Accountable

Post by Accountable »

My first mental image of of Colin Mochrie.

But maybe not :yh_think
Snooz

Post by Snooz »

I was thinking more Billy Connelly.

Accountable

Post by Accountable »

:yh_think
Odie

Post by Odie »

SnoozeAgain;1356398 wrote: I was thinking more Billy Connelly.

bloody hell, he's not bad!
M.A.S

Post by M.A.S »

Odie;1356414 wrote: bloody hell, he's not bad!

:yh_rotfl:yh_rotfl
I miss you Odie
Odie

Post by Odie »

M.A.S;1356416 wrote: :yh_rotfl:yh_rotfl

:yh_rotfl:yh_rotfl
venus

Post by venus »

whether it be a dating site or a set up, we need to keep our minds open...

and l actually do see the billy likeness

and some times even if we know something might be bad for us...we cant help but want a little taste :-4
take a bite out of life it's there to be tasted!!
littleCJelkton

Post by littleCJelkton »

I was on Match.com for a month but I found that most females on that are really not looking, others I being short just didn't meet there criteria. Though like 4 out of 6 either made their while drunk, board, or was made by a friend that thought they needed a date or a combination of those three, or as an over reaction to problems in a current relationship. I actually helped a few females clear things with the person they were had problems with, but overall I think it is a sham though I heard good things about e-harmony.
koan

Post by koan »

I actually find myself somewhat disturbed by a person having their photo lifted from a dating site and posted on a forum. At least you didn't post his username or location.
Snooz

Post by Snooz »

Really? He's got eight photos of himself up on an online dating site, what expectations of "privacy" could he have?
Odie

Post by Odie »

SnoozeAgain;1356510 wrote: Really? He's got eight photos of himself up on an online dating site, what expectations of "privacy" could he have?

just be careful Snooze, it is illegal....even though I liked him:yh_rotfl
farmer giles

Post by farmer giles »

i just joined a dating site :thinking::thinking:

do they usually send you a pm saying they think you will have a much better chance of getting a date if you remove your photo :thinking::thinking:
Snooz

Post by Snooz »

farmer giles;1356560 wrote: i just joined a dating site :thinking::thinking:

do they usually send you a pm saying they think you will have a much better chance of getting a date if you remove your photo :thinking::thinking:

At least you didn't answer "what do you like in a woman?" with "my dick".
flopstock

Post by flopstock »

SnoozeAgain;1356573 wrote: At least you didn't answer "what do you like in a woman?" with "my dick".

One in five couples meet online.
I expressly forbid the use of any of my posts anywhere outside of FG (with the exception of the incredibly witty 'get a room already' )posted recently.

Folks who'd like to copy my intellectual work should expect to pay me for it.:-6

koan

Post by koan »

You can't post photos of other people without their permission unless you took the photo yourself in a public place.

That you did it without question whether or not you should really says a lot.

Putting a hundred photos of yourself on a dating site still doesn't make it okay for people who use that site to then scoop them for outside commentary. The intent of the photos was to be open and honest and allow people to see what he looks like for the purpose of dating, not for the purpose of making him a public discussion.
Snooz

Post by Snooz »

Then please feel free to delete this thread. I'd be happy to ask his opinion on the matter but I don't care to pay match.com to do so.

This is the second one of my threads that I've gotten chastised for, it's very apparent why this forum has suffered such a long and undignified death. Well done, particularly to you koan.
Betty Boop

Post by Betty Boop »

SnoozeAgain;1356609 wrote: Then please feel free to delete this thread. I'd be happy to ask his opinion on the matter but I don't care to pay match.com to do so.

This is the second one of my threads that I've gotten chastised for, it's very apparent why this forum has suffered such a long and undignified death. Well done, particularly to you koan.

This isn't about you Snooze, it's about forum etiquette and not offending those outside the membership.

How would you honestly feel if you had some photo's of yourself on a dating site and then discovered someone had copied them and pasted them on a forum?? At a guess some may be highly flattered, but the flip side of that is that some will be irate. It's a form of theft and something that has to be watched, just like plagiarism. Internet activity is becoming more and more watched nowadays and law suits are falling through the doors of the people that run forums, I guess you could say it's a sign of the times.
CARLA

Post by CARLA »

Sad but true internet security and protocol on forums or any site is big business now. Picture and info that isn't yours is just that "Not Yours" to take, change, post, or copy in any fashion without legal permission. Basically the same law that apply to all media in your hand or on the internet. Forum owners have to be very careful or they open themselves up to lawsuits.
ALOHA!!

MOTTO TO LIVE BY:

"Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, chocolate in one hand, champagne in the other, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming.

WOO HOO!!, what a ride!!!"

Lon

Post by Lon »

koan;1356598 wrote: You can't post photos of other people without their permission unless you took the photo yourself in a public place.

That is not true of photos that are already part of a public domain (Internet). It applies to privately held photos.
CARLA

Post by CARLA »

NOT true Lon the internet isn't "Public Domain" and coping anything without permission is breaking copyright laws. Yes there are public domain sites but still permission is necessary unless they state on the site that you can copy, you can't.

That is not true of photos that are already part of a public domain (Internet). It applies to privately held photos.
ALOHA!!

MOTTO TO LIVE BY:

"Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, chocolate in one hand, champagne in the other, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming.

Lon

Post by Lon »

CARLA;1356618 wrote: NOT true Lon the internet isn't "Public Domain" and coping anything without permission is breaking copyright laws. Yes there are public domain sites but still permission is necessary unless they state on the site that you can copy, you can't.

I thought I might be blowing smoke with my post, but where specifically does it state that photos already in use on the internet can't be re produced, re copied etc. Is there a specific law or code that can be cited?
CARLA

Post by CARLA »

To my knowledge every thing on the internet is protected by "copyright" laws. Just because I post it at a site doesn't mean it can be used by anyone.

The Internet and Copyright:

"The Internet has been characterized as the largest threat to copyright since its inception. The Internet is awash in information, a lot of it with varying degrees of copyright protection. Copyrighted works on the Net include new s stories, software, novels, screenplays, graphics, pictures, Usenet messages and even email. In fact, the frightening reality is that almost everything on the Net is protected by copyright law. That can pose problems for the hapless surfer." ("The Copyright Web site" Copyright Website)

What is protected on the WWW?

The unique underlying design of a Web page and its contents, including:

links

original text

graphics

audio

video

html, vrml, other unique markup language sequences

List of Web sites compiled by an individual or organization

and all other unique elements that make up the original nature of the material.
ALOHA!!

MOTTO TO LIVE BY:

Lon

Post by Lon »

In reading the attached it would appear to me that COPY RIGHT LAWS pertain to commercial info like DVD's, CD's, books, articles, movies, etc. and not to NON COMMERCIAL info.

Frequently Asked Copyright Q&As by Andrew D. Epstein
Bryn Mawr

Post by Bryn Mawr »

Lon;1356625 wrote: In reading the attached it would appear to me that COPY RIGHT LAWS pertain to commercial info like DVD's, CD's, books, articles, movies, etc. and not to NON COMMERCIAL info.

Frequently Asked Copyright Q&As by Andrew D. Epstein

From your link check out the answer to "who owns the copyright" - whoever took the photo', whether a commercial photographer or not, owns the copyright and without a specific rider to the contrary must grant permission before you can lift it and use it.

Given the number of threatened lawsuits we see around here it is perfectly reasonable to question the use of this picture in this thread - it is not a personal attack but a genuine concern for the well-being of the site.
Lon

Post by Lon »

I find this whole thing very interesting-----what for example if you found a glossy photo lying in the gutter of a clothed female that had no name on the photo or identity of any kind and then copied and posted this picture all over the internet. What specific law has been broken. How in the world could it be prosecuted?
Bryn Mawr

Post by Bryn Mawr »

Lon;1356633 wrote: I find this whole thing very interesting-----what for example if you found a glossy photo lying in the gutter of a clothed female that had no name on the photo or identity of any kind and then copied and posted this picture all over the internet. What specific law has been broken. How in the world could it be prosecuted?

If whoever took the photo', and could prove that to be the case, saw it and objected then you could be sued for breach of copyright.

If you found a purse in the street with £100 in it but no name or identification would you be justified in spending them money? Exactly the same situation, just because it is not identified it is not yours to take.
Lon

Post by Lon »

Bryn Mawr;1356635 wrote: If whoever took the photo', and could prove that to be the case, saw it and objected then you could be sued for breach of copyright.

If you found a purse in the street with £100 in it but no name or identification would you be justified in spending them money? Exactly the same situation, just because it is not identified it is not yours to take.

I am no lawyer but I would love to see something like this argued in court. If there was no malicious intent or monetary gain to be had by copying a photo, it seems to me a law suit would fail.
Mustang

Post by Mustang »

Lon;1356620 wrote: I thought I might be blowing smoke with my post, but where specifically does it state that photos already in use on the internet can't be re produced, re copied etc. Is there a specific law or code that can be cited?

Most websites, including Match.com post their terms of service and what they consider would be in violation to use without prior consent.

Terms of Use
Bryn Mawr

Post by Bryn Mawr »

Mustang;1356638 wrote: Most websites, including Match.com post their terms of service and what they consider would be in violation to use without prior consent.

Terms of Use

Sorry, it insists that I log in before it will show me that information and that I refuse to do.
Mustang

Post by Mustang »

Bryn Mawr;1356639 wrote: Sorry, it insists that I log in before it will show me that information and that I refuse to do.

I didn't have to log in to just click on their terms of service and read them. :-2
Odie

Post by Odie »

Mustang;1356638 wrote: Most websites, including Match.com post their terms of service and what they consider would be in violation to use without prior consent.

Terms of Use

howdy stranger!:-6

This is one of the dating sites I belong to, great way to meet people.
Accountable

Post by Accountable »

So, are you gonna call Senor Snorezalot?

Return to “General Chit Chat”