My home was broken into today.. :(

General discussion area for all topics not covered in the other forums.
CARLA

Post by CARLA »

I feel absolutely violated. They took my laptop, backup hard drive, money,all my jewelery, money(not much but enough), and a box of keys I have buried in my dresser.

I have changed every password I had, bank info, server info for work as my laptop was a mobile desktop for work it did have a password to logon but that can be hacked.

I'm just sad they took some special jewelery..!! I guess it could have been worse they didn't take my desktop, or flat screen TV'S..

Odd thing is there was no signs of forced entry they came right through the front door left the place a mess.
ALOHA!!

MOTTO TO LIVE BY:

"Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, chocolate in one hand, champagne in the other, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming.

WOO HOO!!, what a ride!!!"

koan

Post by koan »

I'm so sorry, Carla. Violated is the exact word.
spot

Post by spot »

That's dreadful Carla, it'll take you a while to come to terms with what happened.

It might help to remember that they didn't know you, they didn't select your property for any personal reason, it's no different to being hit by lightning. A fire would have been even less pleasant. Dust yourself off, pick yourself up and start right over again. There are various levels of catastrophe, a broken leg is higher up the scale. I'm overjoyed that you've not broken your leg or crashed your car. And you never know, the police might even show you who did it.
Nullius in verba ... ☎||||||||||| ... To Fate I sue, of other means bereft, the only refuge for the wretched left.
When flower power came along I stood for Human Rights, marched around for peace and freedom, had some nooky every night - we took it serious.
Who has a spare two minutes to play in this month's FG Trivia game! ... My other OS is Slackware.
abbey

Post by abbey »

Oh Carla I'm so sorry!

((((Hug))))
flopstock

Post by flopstock »

No neighbors around during the day?

Damn!

Did they get the little dodad i sent you a while back? Does it need replacing? Can do, in a heartbeat sister... just say the word.
I expressly forbid the use of any of my posts anywhere outside of FG (with the exception of the incredibly witty 'get a room already' )posted recently.

Folks who'd like to copy my intellectual work should expect to pay me for it.:-6

CARLA

Post by CARLA »

Thanks everyone actually my neighbors heard and saw them but it didn't register. The Police were here for hours last night dusting for finger prints and talking to neighbors. There was no forced entry I have 2 deadbolts so somehow they got past them. I won't lie it hit me harder today than yesterday when I think about my personal items being taken and what them could do with information just to hard to get my head around. I was up all night changing everything on all my accounts etc just sick to my stomach.

Floppy I had the dodad on me so all is well thank you for your offer. :)
ALOHA!!

MOTTO TO LIVE BY:

"Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, chocolate in one hand, champagne in the other, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming.

YZGI

Post by YZGI »

Friggin thieves. I hate em. I hope the worse has happened and nothing else comes of this Carla.
flopstock

Post by flopstock »

YZGI;1357903 wrote: Friggin thieves. I hate em. I hope the worse has happened and nothing else comes of this Carla.

Remind me to never come to you for reassurance...:yh_rotfl:yh_rotfl
I expressly forbid the use of any of my posts anywhere outside of FG (with the exception of the incredibly witty 'get a room already' )posted recently.

Folks who'd like to copy my intellectual work should expect to pay me for it.:-6

Bryn Mawr
Site Admin

Post by Bryn Mawr »

Consign the vermin to the nethermost level of hell and move on
the grumps

Post by the grumps »

heres something to cheer you up from your old grumpy

HUG HUG HUG HUG HUG HUG HUG HUG HUG HUG HUG HUG HUG HUG HUG HUG AND JUST FOR GOOD MEASURE A GREAT BIG HUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUG
CARLA

Post by CARLA »

You guy are so nice thank you I spent the day getting both cars re-keyed and the alarms re coded so at least my cars are safe once again. New locks on all doors and the Police are sitting in front of my house as I key this is a very safe neighborhood until yesterday. I have moved on I'm alive and they didn't get my desktop which would have been way more expensive to replace. :)
ALOHA!!

MOTTO TO LIVE BY:

cars

Post by cars »

CARLA;1357902 wrote: Thanks everyone actually my neighbors heard and saw them but it didn't register. The Police were here for hours last night dusting for finger prints and talking to neighbors. There was no forced entry I have 2 deadbolts so somehow they got past them. I won't lie it hit me harder today than yesterday when I think about my personal items being taken and what them could do with information just to hard to get my head around. I was up all night changing everything on all my accounts etc just sick to my stomach.

Floppy I had the dodad on me so all is well thank you for your offer. :)

Sorry to hear that Carla I really feel for ya, been there done that, as my house was broken into twice. "At two" different locations, as I moved accross town after the first robbery.

Anyway, as far as the no forced entry, it was forced, just no damage. I just a program on TV the other day that said the a new gimmick called a "Bump Key" is being sold on line for $2. They demonstrated how the Bump Key worked. They put the key (that had a rubber bumper on it) in any lock, incluting dead bolt locks and tapped it with a hammer, and walla, the key jumbled all the tumblers on the locks into place and the key opened the doors. Time and time again, very scary!!! You might want to mention that key to the police, bet they know about it, just didn't say anything.
Cars :)
CARLA

Post by CARLA »

Cars they mentioned the "Bump Key" as the other option that could very well be what they use. The odd thing is I used my key to get in yesterday after the event and the tumbler was fine. Basically your not safe anymore and that is a sad fact.
ALOHA!!

MOTTO TO LIVE BY:

spot

Post by spot »

If you feel the need to go one step further on the lock you could think about Purchase The Ultimate Lock

What's - I know full well this is unwordable but never mind - what's your access like from the rear?
Nullius in verba ... ☎||||||||||| ... To Fate I sue, of other means bereft, the only refuge for the wretched left.
When flower power came along I stood for Human Rights, marched around for peace and freedom, had some nooky every night - we took it serious.
Who has a spare two minutes to play in this month's FG Trivia game! ... My other OS is Slackware.
Kathy Ellen

Post by Kathy Ellen »

Oh Carla,

I am so sorry that this happened to you:-4. You must be so devastated! Just the thoughts of a stranger routing through your private things is disgusting. No matter how careful you are, they'll find a way to break into your home if they want to rob your property. I'm so glad that you weren't home or walked into your home during the robbery.

I hope the police catch the bastards and punish them severely:mad:

Do you think that you were being watched? A few homes were robbed in my area this summer. It doesn't help that I live near a restaurant as strangers abound during the summer, but I do watch my neighborhood for anyone or anything out of the ordinary.

The thieves also stole my neighbors laptop and flashdrive. Her whole life is on that flashdrive.

The police in my town are media shy due to the many lawsuits against them. They won't give out any information about the robberies, and I haven't read anything in the newspaper.

Good luck to the police, Carla, in finding these criminals. Keep us updated!
along-for-the-ride

Post by along-for-the-ride »

My condolences, Carla. Hubby and I were victims of two burglaries. One time only a VCR and some CD's were taken. The other time my entire jewelry box was taken and that was it. (It was a large cabinet type) I do not have expensive jewely, but there were two pieces I will always miss; a small crucifix I received on my First Communion when I was six, and a bracelet with green stones on it that I received as a bridesmaids gift when I was twelve. The culprit was never caught, but we also beefed up security.

Your home is supposed to be your very own santuary, and it does hurt when it has been violated.
Life is a Highway. Let's share the Commute.
Wandrin

Post by Wandrin »

My sympathies... I hope they catch the criminals. I installed a new alarm system in my home-on-wheels, at the behest of my insurance company. If someone approaches, it sounds like a dog barking inside.
spot

Post by spot »

Wandrin;1357956 wrote: I installed a new alarm system in my home-on-wheels, at the behest of my insurance company. If someone approaches, it sounds like a dog barking inside.
The problem of convincing a jury that there was never a dog, after you get done for leaving one locked in the cab during a heatwave with no windows open, will be tricky at best.
CARLA

Post by CARLA »

Barking dog is as good an alarm as any. I had 2 very large racoons sitting outside my door last night acting like they owened the place. I asked if they could come by during the day and keep the bad guy out of my house. They sure weren't afraid of me in the least. They have very large claws and I'm thinking no one would mess with my door if they were around. :)
ALOHA!!

MOTTO TO LIVE BY:

Wandrin

Post by Wandrin »

spot;1357959 wrote: The problem of convincing a jury that there was never a dog, after you get done for leaving one locked in the cab during a heatwave with no windows open, will be tricky at best.

My actual dog is a service dog who goes with me everywhere, so I presume that there might be witnesses. I might also ask the manufacturer to provide a statement concerning their alarm. It seems to work well.
Odie

Post by Odie »

So very sorry this happened Carla, I can understand why you feel invaded!

I hope and pray the police will find these maggots and punish them severely!:-5
Life is just to short for drama.
Peg

Post by Peg »

I am so sorry Carla. I hope they catch whoever it was, find your things, and punish them well.
Scrat

Post by Scrat »

Ugh. I hope those punks get some bad dope. Bastards. I hope you get the stuff back Carla.
CARLA

Post by CARLA »

Well I had a bit of good news today the Alzheimer's Association San Diego Chapter is going to buy and replace all the hardware that was stolen. They are buying me a new laptop and a backup drive like the one I had. What a surprise it was when my boss told me today. :)
ALOHA!!

MOTTO TO LIVE BY:

chonsigirl

Post by chonsigirl »

That is some good news, I hope you get your special items back too.
Odie

Post by Odie »

that's a caring boss you have, fabulous!
ButterflyPrincess

Post by ButterflyPrincess »

sorry this happened to you. :( hopefully they catch the aholes & you get your jewelry back.

Happy to hear about your new laptop & back up. :)
Kathy Ellen

Post by Kathy Ellen »

Wonderful news Carla...It's a good start. Now, I hope the police retrieve your jewelry and other items that were stolen.
Helen

Post by Helen »

i got burgled many years ago and like you, they took many of my personal items that i never got back................. what i still cant understand to this day is why they took all my photos out of my albums and burnt them on my living room fire and took the empty albums.............. they wernt even exspensive albums, just cheap ones you can pick up at any market......... i have now just one picture left of my youngest daughter when she was just weeks old, in her pram............. there is no history left of my girls before they were about 5yrs old !!!!!
Delorean

Post by Delorean »

Sorry to hear, Carla. It must be so devastating to find you've been burgled. Not only the loss of personal possessions, but the violation of your home, the one place you are meant to feel safe.

Helen, wow, that's really awful, makes you wonder what the heck they were getting out of it, the mongrels.

I've wondered if I ever got burgled would I be able to stay in the house after, knowing that it's happened once, will it happen again now they know they can get in? I've known of people that have been broken into 3 and 4 times, it's a scary thought.
CARLA

Post by CARLA »

So sorry Helen I was lucky in that respect they were obviously in a hurry for fear of being caught. Just took what was in sight and rummaged through my dressers taking items from there. They forgot a few pieces of jewlery as they only took both jewlery boxes probably never looked inside. It is a violation and I won't lie it has hit me in waves of nausea. I have had all locks changed, deabolts on all bedrooms and moderate alarm system installed. Had to have both my cars rekeyed and the alarms reset as they took a box of keys I had. My 1973 Camaro is my baby original owner would hate be sad if it got stolen. They can come back nothing left to take now.

My mother's and grandmother jewlery that had been passed down is what saddens me most. The rest is just stuff.
ALOHA!!

MOTTO TO LIVE BY:

Odie

Post by Odie »

Helen;1358064 wrote: i got burgled many years ago and like you, they took many of my personal items that i never got back................. what i still cant understand to this day is why they took all my photos out of my albums and burnt them on my living room fire and took the empty albums.............. they wernt even exspensive albums, just cheap ones you can pick up at any market......... i have now just one picture left of my youngest daughter when she was just weeks old, in her pram............. there is no history left of my girls before they were about 5yrs old !!!!!

Oh Helen, I am so sorry this happened!

It sounds like teens, wanting to ruin your memories.:-5
Nomad

Post by Nomad »

I am SO very sorry this happened to you. You feel violated...I feel violated. Huge compassion for you Muka Poo!!! What an ugly disgrace, Im disgusted.
I AM AWESOME MAN
CARLA

Post by CARLA »

Thank you Nomie it is a violation for sure. I just glad I wasn't here or got hurt. I'm finally not nauseated everyday. Then I think about the awful tornado's in the south those people have lost everything.
ALOHA!!

MOTTO TO LIVE BY:

Nomad

Post by Nomad »

CARLA;1358403 wrote: Thank you Nomie it is a violation for sure. I just glad I wasn't here or got hurt. I'm finally not nauseated everyday. Then I think about the awful tornado's in the south those people have lost everything.

That was an act of God. It happens. No one expects their sanctuary to be raped. Unforgivable.
I AM AWESOME MAN
CARLA

Post by CARLA »

Well they came back and broke into to my car last night. I knew they had the HONDA key and alarm clicker and that was a possibility. I had the alarm code and the chip in the key changed so they couldn't no matter what they did start the car, it worked. They took a few items like my bluetooth car speaker and a few cd's there wasn't much in the car as I knew this might happen. It is personal now they have targeted me twice and I'm fearful they will be back. I double checked with HONDA as they install the alarm they assured me there is no way in hell they will ever be able to start the car. :(
ALOHA!!

MOTTO TO LIVE BY:

flopstock

Post by flopstock »

CARLA;1358682 wrote: Well they came back and broke into to my car last night. I knew they had the HONDA key and alarm clicker and that was a possibility. I had the alarm code and the chip in the key changed so they couldn't no matter what they did start the car, it worked. They took a few items like my bluetooth car speaker and a few cd's there wasn't much in the car as I knew this might happen. It is personal now they have targeted me twice and I'm fearful they will be back. I double checked with HONDA as they install the alarm they assured me there is no way in hell they will ever be able to start the car. :(
We need to get you a dog!

spot

Post by spot »

Are they avoiding leaving fingerprints each time? You'd think in this day and age that genetic fingerprinting ought to be be both invariably deployed and very effective.
chonsigirl

Post by chonsigirl »

Oh, that really stinks!
spot

Post by spot »

chonsigirl;1358696 wrote: Oh, that really stinks!

Good lord is it Tuesday already? I'll go run a bath.
Odie

Post by Odie »

CARLA;1358682 wrote: Well they came back and broke into to my car last night. I knew they had the HONDA key and alarm clicker and that was a possibility. I had the alarm code and the chip in the key changed so they couldn't no matter what they did start the car, it worked. They took a few items like my bluetooth car speaker and a few cd's there wasn't much in the car as I knew this might happen. It is personal now they have targeted me twice and I'm fearful they will be back. I double checked with HONDA as they install the alarm they assured me there is no way in hell they will ever be able to start the car. :(

This is shocking! I had no idea they would ever take the chance and come back.

I don't think its personal, they're professionals.

man does this suck, Carla, I don't know what to say accept how sorry I am.
Delorean

Post by Delorean »

Oh my gosh, that's appalling. I hope they left fingerprints and the mongrels can be caught! I agree with flopstock, you need a dog, a big one! At least your car's safe now. Hopefully you'll be able to track down some of the jewellery and other stuff they took at pawn shops and such. And hopefully they'll stay away now.
cars

Post by cars »

Wow CARLA, unfortunately seems lightning can strike twice!!! Absolutely appalling!
Cars :)

Return to “General Chit Chat”