Decision Canada 2011

Discuss Presidential or Prime Minister elections for all countries here.
koan

Decision Canada 2011

Post by koan »

Election coverage can start broadcasting soon. BC polls close in under an hour.

Voter turnout seems pretty good so far, especially considering it was a forced election stemming from a "contempt of parliament" non confidence vote.

The Canadian dollar has been fairly strong this last year. It's possible instability could result if the NDP's annoyingly dubbed "Orange Wave" has any major effect. Elizabeth May has the chance to become the first Green Party representative in Ottawa. Most interestingly, the Liberals stand to be wiped off the political map after governing Canada more often than not in the country's history.

I think the Conservatives will stay in power but the NDP could become the official opposition. If that happens, I fully expect people to find out that SmilingJack isn't as honest as they think.
Odie

Decision Canada 2011

Post by Odie »

I think it will be our NDP that will stay in power.

I despise Harper for adding the HST.
Life is just to short for drama.
koan

Decision Canada 2011

Post by koan »

They can't stay in power if they weren't there, which they weren't. Unless you mean just your riding... which may be "your" NDP but that's just your part of Canada.

For the rest of us:

The NDP is the official opposition but Conservatives stay in power now with a majority.

Liberals are almost off the map. The Bloc is finally completely obliterated.

So.... The Bloc lost their Quebec votes to Layton but can Layton fulfill his promises to them?
Odie

Decision Canada 2011

Post by Odie »

koan;1358609 wrote: They can't stay in power if they weren't there, which they weren't. Unless you mean just your riding... which may be "your" NDP but that's just your part of Canada.

For the rest of us:

The NDP is the official opposition but Conservatives stay in power now with a majority.

Liberals are almost off the map. The Bloc is finally completely obliterated.

So.... The Bloc lost their Quebec votes to Layton but can Layton fulfill his promises to them?

I meant here in Ontario.

don't we find promises are made just to get elected?
koan

Decision Canada 2011

Post by koan »

I'm looking at the Ontario results map and it's hard to see anything but blue. (Conservative)
koan

Decision Canada 2011

Post by koan »

Ah, my part of Ontario is almost all blue. I scrolled up and see the upper part. Hard to say whether blue or orange ended up with the most.
koan

Decision Canada 2011

Post by koan »

The Ontario numbers are such:

Returns from Monday's federal election show the Conservatives dominating with 44 per cent of the popular vote and 55 seats in the province.

The NDP have switched places with the struggling Liberals, taking 19 seats with 28 per cent of the popular support compared to just three seats and 23 per cent for the Grits.

CTV 2011 Federal Election | Tories dominate early in seat-rich Ontario

So, yeah, mostly blue
Odie

Decision Canada 2011

Post by Odie »

koan;1358614 wrote: Ah, my part of Ontario is almost all blue. I scrolled up and see the upper part. Hard to say whether blue or orange ended up with the most.

Mine show all of Ontario in orange for the NDP.

Your province shows more conservative.
koan

Decision Canada 2011

Post by koan »

lol

the majority of seats are in lower ontario.

Ontario results are Conservatives 55, NDP 19, Liberal 3

eta: numbers aren't all in yet but it's now at 70,21,10 ... still in favour of Conservatives.
Odie

Decision Canada 2011

Post by Odie »

koan;1358619 wrote: lol

the majority of seats are in lower ontario.

Ontario results are Conservatives 55, NDP 19, Liberal 3

eta: numbers aren't all in yet but it's now at 70,21,10 ... still in favour of Conservatives.

just heard the NDP won.
koan

Decision Canada 2011

Post by koan »

Odie;1358622 wrote: just heard the NDP won.

We're now going from Canada, down to Ontario, down to your one little riding.

I sincerely don't want to know where you live. One thing I do know is that your riding is one of 106 that belong to Ontario. BC only has 36 seats. Ontario elected more than twice the Conservatives to Ottawa than BC could have elected if all BC had voted blue. Nevertheless, of the populations that both BC and Ontario have, both provinces elected more Conservatives than any other party.

Assert whatever you want. My riding elected an incumbent NDP too. Neither my province, nor yours, reelected NDP.
Odie

Decision Canada 2011

Post by Odie »

I know, Conservatives were re-elected.
koan

Decision Canada 2011

Post by koan »

Whew, glad we got that sorted out.

Of the final results, I'm glad the Bloc are pretty much gone. They were ridiculous to have in such numbers, especially after the referendum on letting Quebec separate failed. I'm thrilled for Elizabeth May getting the first Green Party seat. She's worked really hard and consistently. I'm happy the Conservatives got a majority as it will keep our dollar strong and our economy stable, especially with the NDP getting so powerful right next to them. I'm kind of laughing about Layton getting his power by promising the Quebecers all kinds of stuff he'll have to actually try and follow through on now.

So, for me, a rather successful election.

Return to “Presidential Elections Campaigns”