Some Really Freaky Weather

General discussion area for all topics not covered in the other forums.
Lon

Post by Lon »

Today it's in the mid 80's and absolutely a superb day weather wise. This time of the year in this part of California we generally sees temps in the high 90's to 103 F., with very low humidity. The Mid U.S. however has been breaking all records for it's heat and humidity. Heat indexes of 125 have been reported. I don't envy those without air conditioning.

It will be a great evening for a little Bocce Ball, wine & cheese.
Clodhopper

Post by Clodhopper »

I'm not sure what Bocce Ball is, but sounds like a great evening. :)

Would you say these days you are getting more of this freakish weather, less, or about the same amount, compared to say, twenty or thirty years ago?
The crowd: "Yes! We are all individuals!"

Lone voice: "I'm not."
spot

Post by spot »

I say we scrap this new-fangled heat-index balderdash, please. A temperature is meaningful, "feels-like" is hooey. If I know the weather conditions I'm capable of working out what it'll feel like on my own, what I want is true data to work from.
Nullius in verba ... ☎||||||||||| ... To Fate I sue, of other means bereft, the only refuge for the wretched left.
When flower power came along I stood for Human Rights, marched around for peace and freedom, had some nooky every night - we took it serious.
Who has a spare two minutes to play in this month's FG Trivia game! ... My other OS is Slackware.
Bryn Mawr
Site Admin

Post by Bryn Mawr »

spot;1362870 wrote: I say we scrap this new-fangled heat-index balderdash, please. A temperature is meaningful, "feels-like" is hooey. If I know the weather conditions I'm capable of working out what it'll feel like on my own, what I want is true data to work from.

Reverse it and talk windchill - would you still say "A temperature is meaningful, "feels-like" is hooey."?

5C in still conditions is t-shirt weather, 5C with a 20MPH noreaster is piggin' cold - sometimes the temperature in itself is not enough true data to work from.

So long as it's more accurate than Duckworth-Lewis a composite score can be easier than a set of true data values to evaluate.
Lon

Post by Lon »

Clodhopper;1362868 wrote: I'm not sure what Bocce Ball is, but sounds like a great evening. :)

Would you say these days you are getting more of this freakish weather, less, or about the same amount, compared to say, twenty or thirty years ago?

No comparison with the 62 years that I have lived in California or even historically speaking. Definitely more freakish.

Attached files
spot

Post by spot »

Bryn Mawr;1362871 wrote: Reverse it and talk windchill - would you still say "A temperature is meaningful, "feels-like" is hooey."?It was wind-chill I had in mind when I wrote. The temperature is quite definitely what I want to be told, I can make my own mind up about the effect once I allow for the conditions. One wind-chill can't be meaningfully compared with another, unlike temperatures.
Nullius in verba ... ☎||||||||||| ... To Fate I sue, of other means bereft, the only refuge for the wretched left.
When flower power came along I stood for Human Rights, marched around for peace and freedom, had some nooky every night - we took it serious.
Who has a spare two minutes to play in this month's FG Trivia game! ... My other OS is Slackware.
Clodhopper

Post by Clodhopper »

No comparison with the 62 years that I have lived in California or even historically speaking. Definitely more freakish.

Ah. Thanks for that. My interest is in relation to climate change, as I'm sure you realised.

Bocce ball looks like a pleasant way of passing the time in a competitive way. Do you have to hit the back wall, or is it a dead ball if you do?

Clodhopper

Post by Clodhopper »

The National Weather Service put 18 states stretching from Montana to Texas to West Virginia under a heat warning, watch or advisory, with the heat index topping 38C (100F) in most locations.

NOAA released data in June showing that temperatures had risen across the US by roughly 1.5F during the past 30 years.

Both quotations from the BBC article on the issue. BBC News - Heat-wave 'kills 13 people' across US heartland

Sheryl

Post by Sheryl »

It's effing hot is all I have to say!
"Girls are crazy! I'm not ever getting married, I can make my own sandwiches!"

my son
Lon

Post by Lon »

Clodhopper;1362879 wrote: Ah. Thanks for that. My interest is in relation to climate change, as I'm sure you realised.

Bocce ball looks like a pleasant way of passing the time in a competitive way. Do you have to hit the back wall, or is it a dead ball if you do?

If you hit the back wall without hitting the small ball (pallino) or another ball first it is a dead ball. The game can be played on gravel, crushed sea shells, sand or in my case, grass or artificial turf. The French version is called Petanque. You can play the game without a court and basically it's just a matter of getting your ball closer to the PALLINO (small ball) than your opponent's.

I enjoy playing BOWLS with my Kiwi friends when I am in New Zealand.
Bruv

Post by Bruv »

Only one thing to say to you Lon, Boules...........
I thought I knew more than this until I opened my mouth
Bryn Mawr
Site Admin

Post by Bryn Mawr »

spot;1362878 wrote: It was wind-chill I had in mind when I wrote. The temperature is quite definitely what I want to be told, I can make my own mind up about the effect once I allow for the conditions. One wind-chill can't be meaningfully compared with another, unlike temperatures.

But knowing the temperature by itself is insufficient to know what it is (going to be) like - you meed to know the conditions as well. It's all very well asking for half a dozen relevant factors each time you want to know how to dress but easier to have a composite value - as long as the compositing is done meaningfully.

I would dispute the assertion that one wind chill cannot be compared to another - it is the rate at which heat will be removed from the vicinity of the body by the movement of the surrounding air and thus the degree of insulation required to prevent body heat from becoming part of that process and is a repeatable measure. In the same way, heat index is a measure of the extent to which the humidity will prevent the body from cooling by sweating - again a fairly direct and repeatable measure.
Bryn Mawr
Site Admin

Post by Bryn Mawr »

Bruv;1362901 wrote: Only one thing to say to you Lon, Boules...........

Wouldn't that be Jack?
Bruv

Post by Bruv »

Bryn Mawr;1362904 wrote: Wouldn't that be Jack?

Quite possibly....
I thought I knew more than this until I opened my mouth
Lon

Post by Lon »

Bryn Mawr;1362904 wrote: Wouldn't that be Jack?

Jack is the smaller ball or target ball (Pallino in Bocce Ball).

Two of the most played boule games are pétanque and boule ...
Clodhopper

Post by Clodhopper »

chcukle. I haven't played anything like that since I was a kid and we had a toy set for the beach. Great for soft sand, but if you played on hard sand, the balls usually ended up in the sea. Not that that was a problem. :)

Lon

Post by Lon »

Clodhopper;1362909 wrote: chcukle. I haven't played anything like that since I was a kid and we had a toy set for the beach. Great for soft sand, but if you played on hard sand, the balls usually ended up in the sea. Not that that was a problem. :)

As we age, it's good to let the kid in us come out to play once in a while.
LarsMac

Post by LarsMac »

Bryn Mawr;1362903 wrote: But knowing the temperature by itself is insufficient to know what it is (going to be) like - you meed to know the conditions as well. It's all very well asking for half a dozen relevant factors each time you want to know how to dress but easier to have a composite value - as long as the compositing is done meaningfully.

I would dispute the assertion that one wind chill cannot be compared to another - it is the rate at which heat will be removed from the vicinity of the body by the movement of the surrounding air and thus the degree of insulation required to prevent body heat from becoming part of that process and is a repeatable measure. In the same way, heat index is a measure of the extent to which the humidity will prevent the body from cooling by sweating - again a fairly direct and repeatable measure.

Good explanation.

I know there is a distinct difference between the Eastern Colorado plains weather and the weather I left in the Texas/Oklahoma/Arkansas region.

95 f here is far less distressful, with the humidity at ~30% compared to the same 95 in Ft Smith Arkansas where the humidity is usually more like 80%.

Heat index is a consumer-friendly way to advise the populace on how to deal with it.

When the humidity is that high, you cannot evaporate enough sweat to keep your body from over heating.
The home of the soul is the Open Road.
- DH Lawrence
Lon

Post by Lon »

LarsMac;1362916 wrote: Good explanation.

I know there is a distinct difference between the Eastern Colorado plains weather and the weather I left in the Texas/Oklahoma/Arkansas region.

95 f here is far less distressful, with the humidity at ~30% compared to the same 95 in Ft Smith Arkansas where the humidity is usually more like 80%.

Heat index is a consumer-friendly way to advise the populace on how to deal with it.

When the humidity is that high, you cannot evaporate enough sweat to keep your body from over heating.

I will take our 100 F with 20% humidity anytime rather than 85 F with 70% humidity. That's one of the reasons I no longer live in Florida or New Jersey. Air conditioning is fine if you are an indoor all the time person. Me? I am outside much of the time playing golf or other sports.
spot

Post by spot »

Bryn Mawr;1362903 wrote: I would dispute the assertion that one wind chill cannot be compared to another - it is the rate at which heat will be removed from the vicinity of the body by the movement of the surrounding air and thus the degree of insulation required to prevent body heat from becoming part of that process and is a repeatable measure. In the same way, heat index is a measure of the extent to which the humidity will prevent the body from cooling by sweating - again a fairly direct and repeatable measure.

And a wonderful and useful concept it is too. I object not to the concept but to "measuring" it (if indeed it is measured or even measurable) in temperature degrees. The unit, when combined with the value, is a lie.
flopstock

Post by flopstock »

Walking between buildings at work you feel it radiating up at you from the concrete. It is remarkable.

Beans appear to be the local crop most affected.
I expressly forbid the use of any of my posts anywhere outside of FG (with the exception of the incredibly witty 'get a room already' )posted recently.

Folks who'd like to copy my intellectual work should expect to pay me for it.:-6

YZGI

Post by YZGI »

flopstock;1362920 wrote: Walking between buildings at work you feel it radiating up at you from the concrete. It is remarkable.

Beans appear to be the local crop most affected.

Our buildings melted.
Clodhopper

Post by Clodhopper »

As we age, it's good to let the kid in us come out to play once in a while.

When we played as kids, the occasional bucket of water applied to the opposition was regarded as well within the spirit of the game, if not the letter of the law.

Might I respectfully suggest...? :D

Odie

Post by Odie »

with temps soaring over 35C everyday and no rain for a month, our crops are not looking good, our Ontario corn will be half the size.

yesterday was 48C or 119F with the humility, people who worded outdoors yesterday and today had the day off.......thank god.
Life is just to short for drama.
luluxiu

Post by luluxiu »

I was told that I can make my own mind the effect, if my condition allows the temperature is quite sure. A wind chill can not be a meaningful comparison with other, different temperatures....
Clodhopper

Post by Clodhopper »

Hello luluxiu.:)

I see this is your first post here. Welcome to the Forum Garden.

If you want to say Hello and tell us a little about yourself, go to the Introductions forum and start a thread there. (You don't have to, but many have found it a good place to start)

Regarding making your "own mind the effect", do you mean training your mind to control your body temperature?

cars

Post by cars »

Temps here in NE have been unseasonably hot this year, even breaking records since records first started being kept. There have been several deaths here due to the oppressive heat! Then last winter, it was unseasonably frigid! Many say it's the "Al Gore" syndrome, I think I may have to agree with that!
Cars :)
Odie

Post by Odie »

cars;1363572 wrote: Temps here in NE have been unseasonably hot this year, even breaking records since records first started being kept. There have been several deaths here due to the oppressive heat! Then last winter, it was unseasonably frigid! Many say it's the "Al Gore" syndrome, I think I may have to agree with that!

Ours have also been unseasonably high, everyday.

I also think were in for tons of snow this winter.
chonsigirl

Post by chonsigirl »

85 degrees at 7:30 am already. :(
Odie

Post by Odie »

chonsigirl;1363578 wrote: 85 degrees at 7:30 am already. :(

we've finally had tons of rain, have you had any yet?
cars

Post by cars »

Yesterday August 1st, we had lightening, thunder, torrential rain, & 1/2" HAIL!!! Freakey weather to say the least!
Cars :)
YZGI

Post by YZGI »

Forecast is 114 degrees today.
chonsigirl

Post by chonsigirl »

YZGI;1363739 wrote: Forecast is 114 degrees today.

Yikes!
Odie

Post by Odie »

YZGI;1363739 wrote: Forecast is 114 degrees today.

ugh!
fuzzywuzzy

Post by fuzzywuzzy »

funny you know ....all the farmers are delighted with our floods (well kinda) they keep saying "Great back to the old weather patterns)
YZGI

Post by YZGI »

Eh! Only made 111 yesterday.
Odie

Post by Odie »

YZGI;1363842 wrote: Eh! Only made 111 yesterday.

that's all?:yh_rotfl

Return to “General Chit Chat”