Strange and True Facts about Death

Post your factoids here. Things you find interesting. Items that we may not know about.
Tombstone

Post by Tombstone »

1) More people are killed by donkeys annually than are killed in plane crashes.

(2) More people are killed each year by coconuts than sharks. Approximately 150 people are killed each year by coconuts.

(3) You are more likely to be killed by a champagne cork than by a poisonous spider.

(4) Fleas have the distinction of killing more people than all the wars man has ever fought. The "Black Death" plague killed 1/4 of Europe's population in the 14th century, caused by germs transmitted from rodents to humans by fleas.

(5) The animal responsible for the most human deaths worldwide is the mosquito.

(6) The male praying mantis cannot copulate while its head is attached to its body. The female initiates sex by ripping the male's head off.

(7) A hundred years ago, the average life expectancy in the United States was forty-seven.

(8) Today, only one in two billion people will live to be 116 or older.

(9) Your statistical chance of being murdered is 1 in 20,000.

(10) There are 5 times as many deaths due to the negligence of doctors as there are deaths due to firearms.

(11) On average, 100 people choke to death on ballpoint pens every year.

(12) Robert Hershey, of Hershey Chocolate fame, died when he fell into a vat of chocolate and drowned.

(13) Dr. Alice Chase, who wrote "Nutrition for Health" and numerous books on the science of proper eating, died of malnutrition.

(14) Adolph Hitler's mother seriously considered having an abortion but was talked out of it by her doctor.

(15) When Mahatma Gandhi died, an autopsy revealed that his small intestine contained five gold Krugerrands.

(16) When Thomas Edison died in 1941; Henry Ford captured his last dying breath in a bottle.

(17) In 1845, President Andrew Jackson's pet parrot was removed from his funeral for swearing.

(18) Robert Todd Lincoln, son of Abraham Lincoln, was present at the assassinations of three presidents: his father's, President Garfield's, and President McKinley's. After the last shooting, he refused ever to attend a state affair again.

(19) When Mark Twain was born on Nov 30, 1835, Halley's comet was visible over Florida, Missouri. Mark Twain predicted in 1909 that he would die when it returned. He was right. When he died on April 21, 1910, Halley's comet was once again visible in the sky.
Please use the "contact us" button if you need to contact a ForumGarden admin.
abbey

Post by abbey »

[QUOTE=Tombstone]1) More people are killed by donkeys annually than are killed in plane crashes. QUOTE]

Blimey i must be tired, i completley mis-read the word annually when reading your stats..GULP... Time for bed methinks. :wah: :wah:
chrisb84uk

Post by chrisb84uk »

I was just flicking through old threads, and saw this. Wow I must say that some of these facts are about as strange as they get. 150 people die a year by coconuts!!!! I mean wow.....
chervil

Post by chervil »

please tell me you have more........ :yh_rotfl
Accountable

Post by Accountable »

Thanks for the bump, chris. This will come in handy to reference when responding to one of those sky-is-falling threads. :D
pina

Post by pina »

(6) The male praying mantis cannot copulate while its head is attached to its body. The female initiates sex by ripping the male's head off.

I LOVE it.....what a way to go. :wah:

Accountable

Post by Accountable »

two schoolboy mantises talking about a third: He's always bragging about what a playboy he is, but we all know he's lying! :D
Bez

Post by Bez »

pina wrote: (6) The male praying mantis cannot copulate while its head is attached to its body. The female initiates sex by ripping the male's head off.

I LOVE it.....what a way to go. :wah:

Yuk.....give me a nice cup of tea anytime

A smile is a window on your face to show your heart is home
chonsigirl

Post by chonsigirl »

Good grief, what a list! The coconut one is the most interesting-death by a falling nut!
lady cop

Post by lady cop »

chonsigirl wrote: Good grief, what a list! The coconut one is the most interesting-death by a falling nut!let me tell you, it's serious. i used to sit outside at the caribbean club in key largo and play "watch the tourists park under the coconut palms" hahahahahahaha it was hilarious!! :wah: there are no coconut palms left in America except the keys, the blight killed them all. so you're relatively safe. however, if you come to key largo and see the tall brunette laughing at you, you better move your car. :D
chonsigirl

Post by chonsigirl »

:wah: And I googled death by coconut, and it came up with it is more dangerous in some countries people driving their motorcycles at night and driving into the coconut trees! Give 'em a ticket, LC!
Kathy

Post by Kathy »

Death by chocolate! Now that's how I want to go!
BabyRider

Post by BabyRider »

#10...read it, believe it.
[FONT=Arial Black]I hope you cherish this sweet way of life, and I hope you know that it comes with a price.
~Darrel Worley~
[/FONT]

Bullet's trial was a farce. Can I get an AMEN?????

We won't be punished for our sins, but BY them.

ladyritz

Post by ladyritz »

Tombstone wrote:

This backs up something we girls knew all along...... Males think with their **** and not their heads :yh_giggle

Ritz
Carolly

Post by Carolly »

Tombstone;17596 wrote: 1) More people are killed by donkeys annually than are killed in plane crashes.

(2) More people are killed each year by coconuts than sharks. Approximately 150 people are killed each year by coconuts.

(3) You are more likely to be killed by a champagne cork than by a poisonous spider.

(4) Fleas have the distinction of killing more people than all the wars man has ever fought. The "Black Death" plague killed 1/4 of Europe's population in the 14th century, caused by germs transmitted from rodents to humans by fleas.

(5) The animal responsible for the most human deaths worldwide is the mosquito.

(7) A hundred years ago, the average life expectancy in the United States was forty-seven.

(8) Today, only one in two billion people will live to be 116 or older.

(9) Your statistical chance of being murdered is 1 in 20,000.

(10) There are 5 times as many deaths due to the negligence of doctors as there are deaths due to firearms.

(11) On average, 100 people choke to death on ballpoint pens every year.

(12) Robert Hershey, of Hershey Chocolate fame, died when he fell into a vat of chocolate and drowned.

(13) Dr. Alice Chase, who wrote "Nutrition for Health" and numerous books on the science of proper eating, died of malnutrition.

(14) Adolph Hitler's mother seriously considered having an abortion but was talked out of it by her doctor.

(15) When Mahatma Gandhi died, an autopsy revealed that his small intestine contained five gold Krugerrands.

(16) When Thomas Edison died in 1941; Henry Ford captured his last dying breath in a bottle.

(17) In 1845, President Andrew Jackson's pet parrot was removed from his funeral for swearing.

(18) Robert Todd Lincoln, son of Abraham Lincoln, was present at the assassinations of three presidents: his father's, President Garfield's, and President McKinley's. After the last shooting, he refused ever to attend a state affair again.

(19) When Mark Twain was born on Nov 30, 1835, Halley's comet was visible over Florida, Missouri. Mark Twain predicted in 1909 that he would die when it returned. He was right. When he died on April 21, 1910, Halley's comet was once again visible in the sky.This may be a 4 year old Thread by the Boss but its still a cracker:D;)
Women are bitchy and predictable ...men are not and that's the key to knowing the truth.
michealhope

Post by michealhope »

Very Funny :yh_rotfl Especially the the donkey part.
Oscar Namechange

Post by Oscar Namechange »

Two men in my life have died from eating poisonous mushrooms.

I battered my second husband to death when he wouldn't eat them.
At the going down of the sun and in the morning, we will remember them. R.L. Binyon
Snowfire

Post by Snowfire »

I'd like to die peacefully in my sleep like my Grandfather.

Not screaming in terror like his passengers
"He has all the virtues I dislike and none of the vices I admire."

Winston Churchill
Oscar Namechange

Post by Oscar Namechange »

Snowfire;1243920 wrote: I'd like to die peacefully in my sleep like my Grandfather.

Not screaming in terror like his passengers :wah::wah::wah:
At the going down of the sun and in the morning, we will remember them. R.L. Binyon

Return to “Did You Know?”