Land line phones---Cell phones-----VOIP

General discussion area for all topics not covered in the other forums.
Lon

Post by Lon »

I am curious to know what kind of phone system FG members use where they live. I had been using SKYPE for foreign calls and to others that have SKYPE and also using the local land line service for local and long distance calls within the U.S. Skype is great and of course free to SKYPE users, but my local land line company monthly rates are terrible. I dropped them and went to a VOIP service with VONAGE for unlimited local, long distance and foreign calls at a flat rate of $25.95 a month. Some of my friends and family have gone strictly to Cell Phones for use at both home and away. Being retired I am not a big cell phone user and barely use 60 minutes a month.
Bryn Mawr
Site Admin

Post by Bryn Mawr »

Lon;1364427 wrote: I am curious to know what kind of phone system FG members use where they live. I had been using SKYPE for foreign calls and to others that have SKYPE and also using the local land line service for local and long distance calls within the U.S. Skype is great and of course free to SKYPE users, but my local land line company monthly rates are terrible. I dropped them and went to a VOIP service with VONAGE for unlimited local, long distance and foreign calls at a flat rate of $25.95 a month. Some of my friends and family have gone strictly to Cell Phones for use at both home and away. Being retired I am not a big cell phone user and barely use 60 minutes a month.

I put £20 on my mobile every time it runs out of credit - maybe every three or four months.

My landline bill rarely shows any pay calls - it's all internet usage or calls in the free call period.
Lon

Post by Lon »

Bryn Mawr;1364432 wrote: I put £20 on my mobile every time it runs out of credit - maybe every three or four months.

My landline bill rarely shows any pay calls - it's all internet usage or calls in the free call period.

Thanks for the response Bryn. I'm confused about your land line though. Does it operate through traditional telephone wires or computer modem?
Bryn Mawr
Site Admin

Post by Bryn Mawr »

Lon;1364435 wrote: Thanks for the response Bryn. I'm confused about your land line though. Does it operate through traditional telephone wires or computer modem?

Standard twisted pair. The service is free for local and national calls between 18:00 and 07:00 and all weekend.
Odie

Post by Odie »

Lon;1364427 wrote: I am curious to know what kind of phone system FG members use where they live. I had been using SKYPE for foreign calls and to others that have SKYPE and also using the local land line service for local and long distance calls within the U.S. Skype is great and of course free to SKYPE users, but my local land line company monthly rates are terrible. I dropped them and went to a VOIP service with VONAGE for unlimited local, long distance and foreign calls at a flat rate of $25.95 a month. Some of my friends and family have gone strictly to Cell Phones for use at both home and away. Being retired I am not a big cell phone user and barely use 60 minutes a month.

My land line is my home phone and is paid through a company here that also includes my internet and cable t.v.....which gives me a 15% discount on all three.

monthly bill is 36.00 which includes call display, 500 free minutes to Canada and the US....I don't use overseas phone calling.
Life is just to short for drama.
Lon

Post by Lon »

Bryn Mawr;1364437 wrote: Standard twisted pair. The service is free for local and national calls between 18:00 and 07:00 and all weekend.

Interesting. To the best of my knowledge we don't have anything similar here in the states. How is the system paid for? Rates?
Bryn Mawr
Site Admin

Post by Bryn Mawr »

Lon;1364447 wrote: Interesting. To the best of my knowledge we don't have anything similar here in the states. How is the system paid for? Rates?

Out of the standing charge which is about £20 pcm
Clodhopper

Post by Clodhopper »

Landline. The health concerns about mobiles are enough to stop me. I have a perhaps overly sensitive reaction to the idea I might be frying my brain.
The crowd: "Yes! We are all individuals!"

Lone voice: "I'm not."
YZGI

Post by YZGI »

The family all have cell phones and haven't had a land line for about 2-3 years.
Ahso!

Post by Ahso! »

Clodhopper;1364467 wrote: Landline. The health concerns about mobiles are enough to stop me. I have a perhaps overly sensitive reaction to the idea I might be frying my brain.I operate my iphone (which is about all I use anymore) in speakerphone mode 95+ percent of the time. I also text more.

I have a Magicjack but hardly use it. Cost for that was $100.00 total for 6 years, though I don't recommend it.
“Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities,”

Voltaire

I have only one thing to do and that's

Be the wave that I am and then

Sink back into the ocean

Fiona Apple
Richard Bell

Post by Richard Bell »

I have a conventional landline with Bell Canada ($22.00/month). There are no additional charges for non-long distance calls.

I have a YAK account for long distance (three cents/minute for l.d. calls within Canada and to the USA).It's great because I just have to dial normally, no extra digits. The long distance charges are billed to my credit card. YAK doesn't charge any connection or membership fees. They also have deals to overseas nations, but all of my long distance calling is confined to Canada and the USA.

I dumped my cell phone a while ago. Canada has notoriously high cell phone charges.I got tired of been screwed over each month for the little bit I used it.
Bryn Mawr
Site Admin

Post by Bryn Mawr »

Clodhopper;1364467 wrote: Landline. The health concerns about mobiles are enough to stop me. I have a perhaps overly sensitive reaction to the idea I might be frying my brain.

How do you feel about the national grid?
Clodhopper

Post by Clodhopper »

Bryn Mawr and Ahso: Live close enough to live humming wires on pylons and I'm sure I recall studies saying your chances of various nasties including cancer are increased very markedly. I'm not very good on the technical side, so perhaps I'm like a savage saying electricity is the work of the devil, but the idea of putting a mobile phone to your ear very much when they produce enough microwaves to pop corn just seems foolhardy.

I haven't done a long walk recently, but when/if I next do, I might well get a mobile for texting progress and emergencies. It's the regular use that concerns me.

Bryn Mawr
Site Admin

Post by Bryn Mawr »

Clodhopper;1364530 wrote: Bryn Mawr and Ahso: Live close enough to live humming wires on pylons and I'm sure I recall studies saying your chances of various nasties including cancer are increased very markedly. I'm not very good on the technical side, so perhaps I'm like a savage saying electricity is the work of the devil, but the idea of putting a mobile phone to your ear very much when they produce enough microwaves to pop corn just seems foolhardy.

I haven't done a long walk recently, but when/if I next do, I might well get a mobile for texting progress and emergencies. It's the regular use that concerns me.

The reason I asked is that living next to a national grid line is far more likely to be harmful to your health than using a mobile - the field strength is higher and far less work has been done to ensure that it's safe (do you really imagine that they did *any* research in the 1880s to 1900s when they settled on the format or that they'd *ever* decide that we'd have to stop using the grid nowadays)?

Have you tried to pop corn with a mobile? It just won't do it and for very good reason. A microwave oven works because the frequency of the radiation is tuned to the resonant frequency of the water molecule - most of the energy will be absorbed by the water in the food which will consequently heat up. The frequency of the transmissions from a mobile has been very specifically chosen so that it does not resonate with any part of the human body, therefore, very little of the radiation will be absorbed and no damage will be done.
CARLA

Post by CARLA »

Iphone for almost everything lately even remoting into the servers at my office I would be dead without it. I do have a landline at home but only for internet and its a stripped down no frills $10.00 a month line and I never use it.

Oh forgot to mention I use the speaker phone all the time not much for hold the phone to my ears, just being cautious.
ALOHA!!

MOTTO TO LIVE BY:

"Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, chocolate in one hand, champagne in the other, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming.

WOO HOO!!, what a ride!!!"

YZGI

Post by YZGI »

Bryn Mawr;1364532 wrote: The reason I asked is that living next to a national grid line is far more likely to be harmful to your health than using a mobile - the field strength is higher and far less work has been done to ensure that it's safe (do you really imagine that they did *any* research in the 1880s to 1900s when they settled on the format or that they'd *ever* decide that we'd have to stop using the grid nowadays)?

Have you tried to pop corn with a mobile? It just won't do it and for very good reason. A microwave oven works because the frequency of the radiation is tuned to the resonant frequency of the water molecule - most of the energy will be absorbed by the water in the food which will consequently heat up. The frequency of the transmissions from a mobile has been very specifically chosen so that it does not resonate with any part of the human body, therefore, very little of the radiation will be absorbed and no damage will be done.

Whew, thought my brain was gonna pop.
Clodhopper

Post by Clodhopper »

The reason I asked is that living next to a national grid line is far more likely to be harmful to your health than using a mobile - the field strength is higher and far less work has been done to ensure that it's safe (do you really imagine that they did *any* research in the 1880s to 1900s when they settled on the format or that they'd *ever* decide that we'd have to stop using the grid nowadays)?

chuckle. Nope. But I DO remember the Giles cartoons expressing concern about the pylons even though I wasn't born then because my parents collected the annuals.

I've seen the U tube clips where four phones are put in a cross and the popcorn in the middle pops. I know it could be fake, and I don't feel in a position to tell others not to risk this, but I just hate the idea. I have no need for a mobile, so I don't have one.

I'mn sure you are right in everything you say. It's just that what I worry about is what you don't know about because it's never occurred to anyone to ask. If you haven't been asked the question...

Bryn Mawr
Site Admin

Post by Bryn Mawr »

Clodhopper;1364543 wrote: chuckle. Nope. But I DO remember the Giles cartoons expressing concern about the pylons even though I wasn't born then because my parents collected the annuals.

I've seen the U tube clips where four phones are put in a cross and the popcorn in the middle pops. I know it could be fake, and I don't feel in a position to tell others not to risk this, but I just hate the idea. I have no need for a mobile, so I don't have one.

I'mn sure you are right in everything you say. It's just that what I worry about is what you don't know about because it's never occurred to anyone to ask. If you haven't been asked the question...

Certainly a fake - try it yourself (with a few friends) and see. Four 'phones, total power output less than two watts in extremis (they can see a ground station but very poor signal and they're pushing to get a connection) - microwave minimum six hundred watts and designed for the job.

Fret not, I know exactly where you're coming from but I'm convinced that the potential problem as you raised is does not exist. As you say, anything could be hiding in the margins but if we spooked at every unknown then we'd never get out of bed.

One day I'm going to die - until that day I'm going to live :-)
CARLA

Post by CARLA »

Amen Bryn my feelings exactly. So much of don't do this or that now days its become over the top. I'm 64 and I grew up drinking water out of the tap and eating food that they swear will kill you now go figure. :)

One day I'm going to die - until that day I'm going to live :-)
ALOHA!!

MOTTO TO LIVE BY:

"Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, chocolate in one hand, champagne in the other, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming.

Bryn Mawr
Site Admin

Post by Bryn Mawr »

CARLA;1364552 wrote: Amen Bryn my feelings exactly. So much of don't do this or that now days its become over the top. I'm 64 and I grew up drinking water out of the tap and eating food that they swear will kill you now go figure. :)

It's long been my philosophy of life - much, as I recall it, like your sig.
Clodhopper

Post by Clodhopper »

I'll use a mobile where I think I get a benefit from it. I feel no need for one day to day.

Bryn, it's not just technophobia, it's a case of not using technology I don't need. When I go walking in remote places alone, I'll take a mobile (assuming coverage). Walking around Kingston and in the SE of England I don't need one.

I'm delighted to hear all our kids aren't frying their brains.

Bryn Mawr
Site Admin

Post by Bryn Mawr »

Clodhopper;1364563 wrote: I'll use a mobile where I think I get a benefit from it. I feel no need for one day to day.

Bryn, it's not just technophobia, it's a case of not using technology I don't need. When I go walking in remote places alone, I'll take a mobile (assuming coverage). Walking around Kingston and in the SE of England I don't need one.

I'm delighted to hear all our kids aren't frying their brains.

I'm not knocking it, just trying to put it in perspective.

Personally I hate mobiles but have to carry one as I'm first contact in case my father collapses again. I do, however, think they should be criticized for the right reasons.

Our kids might not be frying their brains but they are shortening their attention spans and destroying their use of English by using them.
Clodhopper

Post by Clodhopper »

have to carry one as I'm first contact in case my father collapses again

Yeah, that's why I kept the last one (mother, to be precise). Completely unanswerable case.

I've got fairly strong feelings on use of technology, but I haven't worked them up to a coherent position yet.

YZGI

Post by YZGI »

CARLA;1364552 wrote: Amen Bryn my feelings exactly. So much of don't do this or that now days its become over the top. I'm 64 and I grew up drinking water out of the tap and eating food that they swear will kill you now go figure. :)

I still drink water from the tap. Drives me crazy that the wife and kids think they have to have bottled water.
CARLA

Post by CARLA »

Drives me insane as well I don't get it they would rather drink water out of a plastic bottle that has hundreds of chemicals in it than from the tap. They think that bottled water comes from a beautiful stream high in the mountains get real it comes from the tap which is treated with less chemicals then the plastic bottle they drink from. Sure there are dangers from drinking from the tap, there are dangers crossing the street. The bottled water industry are laughing all the way to the bank. Yes I think water bottles have a purpose on the field at games for kids after that throw the bottles away.

Sorry off topic back to CELLPHONES as a device that could save your life or a member of your families it is a MUST and have saved many lives.

I still drink water from the tap. Drives me crazy that the wife and kids think they have to have bottled water.
ALOHA!!

MOTTO TO LIVE BY:

Oscar Namechange

Post by Oscar Namechange »

Clodhopper;1364467 wrote: Landline. The health concerns about mobiles are enough to stop me. I have a perhaps overly sensitive reaction to the idea I might be frying my brain.

You have one ????
At the going down of the sun and in the morning, we will remember them. R.L. Binyon
Oscar Namechange

Post by Oscar Namechange »

British Telecom land line and broadband with caller I.D.

Two mobile phones, one for family and friends, one for work related enquiries.
At the going down of the sun and in the morning, we will remember them. R.L. Binyon

Return to “General Chit Chat”