The death of Perry's campaign?

Discuss Presidential or Prime Minister elections for all countries here.
K.Snyder

Post by K.Snyder »

How will this effect Perry's campaign?

Dear Rick Perry: We have not forgotten what you did. Before his execution, Todd Willingham said, “Please don’t ever stop fighting to vindicate me.” On October 22, 2011 we will remind the nation about Rick Perry’s role in the execution of Todd WillinghamCameron Todd Willingham – Innocent and Executed
Ahso!

Post by Ahso! »

Don't forget Bush executed a retarded man on the eve of his first presidential run.
“Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities,”

Voltaire

I have only one thing to do and that's

Be the wave that I am and then

Sink back into the ocean

Fiona Apple
Accountable

Post by Accountable »

Actually breaking a law doesn't keep politicians from being elected. Hell Louisiana had a governor reelected while serving time for illegal gambling. Doing things technically within the law certainly isn't going to have any effect, regardless of how wrong it turned out to be later. No, the only thing that can knock a guy out of the running these days is to look ridiculous.

K.Snyder

Post by K.Snyder »

He was convicted based on the testimony of forensic experts who said they had determined that the fire was intentionally set and a jailhouse informant who said Willingham had confessed to him. On October 29, 1992, he was sentenced to death. (Download the full trial transcripts here.)

Thirteen years later, in the days leading up to Willingham’s execution, his attorneys sent the governor and the Board of Pardon and Parole a report from Gerald Hurst, a nationally recognized arson expert, saying that Willingham’s conviction was based on erroneous forensic analysis. Documents obtained by the Innocence Project show that state officials received that report but apparently did not act on it. Willingham was executed by lethal injection in Huntsville on February 17, 2004. The Innocence Project - Cameron Todd Willingham: Wrongfully Convicted and Executed in Texas

I'm very concerned about people getting convicted of crimes based primarily on the testimony of people who are serving prison sentences during trials. Something about a "star witness" who's thought of as being undoubtedly trustworthy in the hope of convicting someone who's guilty until proven innocent while serving time for either personal drug addiction or an itch to mutilate any living life form within an arms length. Regardless, they don't belong in the courtroom on anyone's behalf.
Lon

Post by Lon »

I am not a fan or supporter of Bush or Perry but do not hold either of them as responsible for the executions on their watch. The fact that they could intercede does not matter. Jesus Christ did not intercede either.
Ahso!

Post by Ahso! »

I definitely respect your opinion but I do. Both refused to entertain the idea that perhaps the individuals involved were different than them and they were only evil. That's short-sighted and narrow-minded (not to mention terribly ignorant), IMO.

Bush and Perry are living people in authoritative positions, as opposed to Jesus. The fact is, that as far as I can tell, the willingness to execute a human being appears to be a prerequisite to the presidency in the minds of (perhaps) a majority of conservative voters. I call that Tough Love Syndrome.

Voltaire

Sink back into the ocean

Fiona Apple
Lon

Post by Lon »

Ahso!;1367112 wrote: I definitely respect your opinion but I do. Both refused to entertain the idea that perhaps the individuals involved were different than them and they were only evil. That's short-sighted and narrow-minded (not to mention terribly ignorant), IMO.

Bush and Perry are living people in authoritative positions, as opposed to Jesus. The fact is, that as far as I can tell, the willingness to execute a human being appears to be a prerequisite to the presidency in the minds of (perhaps) a majority of conservative voters. I call that Tough Love Syndrome.

Thanks for respecting my opinion as I certainly respect yours as well, however, to condemn a governor of a state for not interceding in a death penalty case shows nothing more than bias against that particular governor. The condemned were found guilty (though perhaps innocent) in a legally constituted court of law and if there were errors in prosecuting the case then fault lies with those that conducted the prosecution and they should be held accountable. To say that Bush or Perry KILLED so and so is a real stretch. That's like saying LBJ killed our troops in Viet Nam during his presidency.
Ahso!

Post by Ahso! »

That's the responsibility that comes with the job. I do believe LBJ (and other presidents) can, in some respects, be held accountable for the deaths of not only their own troops, but also those which said troops have killed while in battle.

This thread got me reading about some of the executions which took place during Bush's governorship and the reading has been enlightening. It appears Bush, probably through the advice of Karl Rove, carefully and mindfully made sure others could be seen as patsies, especially Alberto Gonzalez, of whom Bush then rewarded with AG during his presidency. If you were to read of how Gonzalez continually misinformed or omitted critical information from his boss on the subject of executions, why in the world would anyone appoint such a nincompoop as the nations top law enforcement official and prosecutor? It was either total incompetence all around or a charade, which I guess is probably redundant on my part.

Take a look at what Sister Helen Prejean, made famous as the nun from Dead Man Walking, has to say. > Death in Texas by Sister Helen Prejean | The New York Review of Books

Police arrest based solely on behavior and the initial interpretation of evidence at the scene, supposedly without bias; prosecutors prosecute without regard to the innocence of the defendant (defenses are left to the accused if they can afford a worthwhile one); judges, especially since sentencing and other ruling guidelines have been enacted, judge based purely on how the competitive performances play out within the courtroom from both sides; but the governor (or president) can inject humanity into the process, which is vital especially in states where executions take place. In George W Bush's own words, “I take every death penalty case seriously and review each case carefully…. Each case is major because each case is life or death.”

You are correct about my bias though and I freely admit it, but my bias is an after-the-fact one based on Bush's performance as both governor and president, and I believe is justified. I won't run from my bias in this case.

From the time President Bush gave one of his first public speeches where he told us all that the country was now in a recession and it was all Bill Clinton's fault, thus causing the stock markets to fall precipitously, to strapping on his six-shooter's holster when 9/11 fell into his lap, to attacking two sovereign countries illegally and not paying his way through anything to... on and on and on, I harbor nothing short of extreme dislike for George W Bush, his administration, his appointees and his policies. And in case anyone is wondering? I supported his presidency in it's infancy even though I did not vote for him.

Voltaire

Sink back into the ocean

Fiona Apple
K.Snyder

Post by K.Snyder »

Ahso!;1367112 wrote: I definitely respect your opinion but I do. Both refused to entertain the idea that perhaps the individuals involved were different than them and they were only evil. That's short-sighted and narrow-minded (not to mention terribly ignorant), IMO.

Bush and Perry are living people in authoritative positions, as opposed to Jesus. The fact is, that as far as I can tell, the willingness to execute a human being appears to be a prerequisite to the presidency in the minds of (perhaps) a majority of conservative voters. I call that Tough Love Syndrome.I agree entirely...

It's not necessarily about this execution, among others, but what this says about his role as President. When one receives reports that this man was convicted on "erroneous forensic analysis" and neglects his duty to ensure the well being of civilization that ultimately ends in the murder of an individual from which he/she is involved speaks volumes for the competence of a governor I wouldn't vote for in a cooking competition. He might have poisoned it by not reading the directions at all let alone correctly!

Return to “Presidential Elections Campaigns”